Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 02-24-2023 12:20 PM
Replies: 129 (1567 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 06-30-2023 09:48 AM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I think it was maybe a ~1986? It was a 4-door Jeep Cherokee with 4x4, and the 4 liter straight 6.

When I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport back in... 2009? I was actually looking for a used 2-door Cherokee. But I couldn't find a single one that didn't have many hundreds of thousands of miles on it. Even then, they were asking absurd prices.

1986 was the last year AMC owned the Jeep brand. I suspect it was at least a year later, or more. AMC never had a 4.0. Only a 4.2, ... and some four banger ????.

A two door Cherokee is like hen's teeth, or an 88 GT T Top with T Tops. I had a friend which had a two door Cherokee. A "limited", with gold badges.
IP: Logged
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

1986 was the last year AMC owned the Jeep brand. I suspect it was at least a year later, or more. AMC never had a 4.0. Only a 4.2, ... and some four banger ????.

A two door Cherokee is like hen's teeth, or an 88 GT T Top with T Tops. I had a friend which had a two door Cherokee. A "limited", with gold badges.

Yeah, like I said, I don't know... it was like 28 years ago... haha... and I only drove it twice.

I know it was a 4.0L because it said so on the back.

I know you could also get the 2.5 (originally the GM/151 one, and then an AMC/150 one), and they also sold it with the 2.8 V6/60 too, which is wild...

I definitely like and wanted a Cherokee 2-door... like maybe a 1999-2001 so it was a bit more rounded, rather than the more angled version. There were a few online when I was looking, but they weren't that common... I don't know if I'd say it was as rare as the T-Top Fieros... but they definitely weren't as common. There was one that I almost bought that was used on a military base. It was blue, had 21k miles on it... and it sold for $6 grand. The reason why I passed on it is because I knew that even though it had 21k miles, it probably had millions of idle hours sitting in various spots throughout the military base... and I needed / wanted something that was actually going to be reliable. Not that they aren't... but I wasn't buying a car that would need work. So I went with the 2002 Ford Explorer Sport...
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Yeah, like I said, I don't know... it was like 28 years ago... haha... and I only drove it twice.

I know it was a 4.0L because it said so on the back.

I know you could also get the 2.5 (originally the GM/151 one, and then an AMC/150 one), and they also sold it with the 2.8 V6/60 too, which is wild...

AMC had a 4.2L (258) which was used in the CJs for many years but it was never used in the new 84+ Cherokees because it didn't fit (supposedly there was a project manager from Renault assigned to the Cherokee development team who hated that engine and he deliberatly sized the vehicle such that the engine wouldn't fit). That is why they used the GM 2.8 as the optional engine for the first 2-3 years. AMC also had an old 4-cyl. left over from the Nash days and also a newer 4-cyl. which was essentially a 4.2 6-cyl. with the two center cylinders removed. It was this newer 4-cyl. which was later stretched and made into the 4.0 and this time it did indeed fit in the Cherokee and it went on to sell countless thousands or millions over the next 20 years or so.

This is assuming I am following the history correctly on the Allpar site, which has a ton of interesting articles but they can be confusing since there are so many different articles.

I had a 1980 CJ-7 for a couple years with the 258 in it and it had every emissions control device known to man on it and about fifty miles of vacuum hoses. When it ran, it ran well but when the humidity or the weather or the phase of the moon was wrong it wouldn't start and I was stuck. Sometimes I could get it fired up with starting fluid, and sometimes not. I threw a ton of money at that thing and I still needed to keep around an old beater so that I'd have something reliable to drive. At some point I moved on to GM and MPFI and I've never looked back.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 05-19-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2023 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

AMC had a 4.2L (258) which was used in the CJs for many years but it was never used in the new 84+ Cherokees because it didn't fit (supposedly there was a project manager from Renault assigned to the Cherokee development team who hated that engine and he deliberatly sized the vehicle such that the engine wouldn't fit). That is why they used the GM 2.8 as the optional engine for the first 2-3 years. AMC also had an old 4-cyl. left over from the Nash days and also a newer 4-cyl. which was essentially a 4.2 6-cyl. with the two center cylinders removed. It was this newer 4-cyl. which was later stretched and made into the 4.0 and this time it did indeed fit in the Cherokee and it went on to sell countless thousands or millions over the next 20 years or so.

This is assuming I am folling the history correctly on the Allpar site, which has a ton of interesting articles but they can be confusing since there are so many different articles.

I had a 1980 CJ-7 for a couple years with the 258 in it and it had every emissions control device known to man on it and about fifty miles of vacuum hoses. When it ran, it ran well but when the humidity or the weather or the phase of the moon was wrong it wouldn't start and I was stuck. Sometimes I could get it fired up with starting fluid, and sometimes not. I threw a ton of money at that thing and I still needed to keep around an old beater so that I'd have something reliable to drive. At some point I moved on to GM and MPFI and I've never looked back.

AMC had a lot of cool cars... Jeep aside, the Eagle or whatever it was called, was really the Subaru of today. That they had a v6 powered AWD raised platform in station wagon form, is pretty amazing. I mean, look at this thing, this is pretty badass...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2023 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22818 posts
Member since Aug 2002
This one is even more badass...

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2023 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Javelin was very nice.

The AMX Javelin was bad azz.

I even like the Gremlin (Gremlin X).

Look at the pictures available online.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2023 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always like the door latches on the AMC cars when I was kid. They looked like they came from the future!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2023 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And then.they made the Pacer........
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2023 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest video posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cw1PGtdVHw

We had a LOT of problems with the software because our videos were so large. This was a shorter video, but we left the cameras on while we did various things, and the app couldn't handle the large files (we used NERO Video). It also makes a popping sound with some of the audio files too, which is frustrating. I ended up having to do most of it for her. I'm thinking we may switch to another piece of video editing software going forward...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock