Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Gen-Z-Garage - Removing the Decklid and Intake Manifold!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gen-Z-Garage - Removing the Decklid and Intake Manifold! by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 06-30-2023 09:43 AM
Replies: 7 (277 views)
Last post by: Frenchrafe on 07-01-2023 02:47 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest video from my daughter. I had to help her with the video again this time because the software is messing up. I think when I'm doing the recording, I'll have to use smaller video recordings. It seems to be overwhelming the NERO video editing software.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sleek fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd your daughter is doing an amazing job on these videos. Just one important safety tip - always disconnect ground cable first !
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

Todd your daughter is doing an amazing job on these videos. Just one important safety tip - always disconnect ground cable first !

Oh man, I'd always thought the goal was to do the reverse. Can you expand on that? Is it because if you're working on the positive first, you might ground it out with the tool ... and if you remove the negative first, you're less likely to have this happen?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Is it because if you're working on the positive first, you might ground it out with the tool ... and if you remove the negative first, you're less likely to have this happen?

Yes. Grounding the wrench while disconnecting the negative terminal is a whole lot (as in totally) less "exciting" than grounding the positive terminal.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yes. Grounding the wrench while disconnecting the negative terminal is a whole lot (as in totally) less "exciting" than grounding the positive terminal.

Hahah... got it. I guess I figured we'd want to get that positive terminal disconnected as soon as possible... but note taken.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing Battery Cables:
1st: Disconnect negative terminal cable
2nd: Disconnect positive terminal cable

Installing Battery Cables:
1st: Connect positive terminal cable
2nd: Connect negative terminal cable

EDIT: Use the same rule with battery chargers or 'jumping' a battery

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 06-30-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2023 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I guess I figured we'd want to get that positive terminal disconnected as soon as possible...

On the contrary... having the wrench arc-weld itself to something metal in the engine bay tends to slow the job down!

I had that happen when I've been under the car using a large screwdriver to jump power from the positive stud on the starter to the solenoid... except that I've accidentally touched ground on the car somewhere... and there's a bright flash... and the screwdriver is welded to whatever it touched! Sheer panic sets in as you want to dislodge the screwdriver before the battery blows up. Oh yeah, good times!
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2023 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there,
Just to let you know that if you use ShotCut video software (free opensource), you don't have to bother with the types of files; anything goes.
ShotCut will just ask you if you want to convert to a fixed frame rate for your different video files. It then converts everything to a format that makes the editing easier.
Cheers,
Rafe

PS: And yes! Always disconnect the negative (-) first!

[This message has been edited by Frenchrafe (edited 07-01-2023).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock