Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 02-24-2023 12:20 PM
Replies: 129 (1557 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 06-30-2023 09:48 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything I'm about to say is 100% true...

I had a picture of this Fiero up on the screen from an eBay auction. I thought it looked really nice, and I was kind of looking at inexpensive cars for my daughter now that she's going to be learning to drive. She's 14, and in the state of Florida, teens can begin driving at the age of 15. For me in Virginia, it was 15 and 8 months for a learners. They get it the second they turn 15.

So, I had this car up on the screen, and my daughter walked into the room as she was brushing her teeth and said... "Woooah! What kind of car is that? That is so nice... and oooh... it has pop-up headlights!"

Keep in mind, she's 14, and my Fiero (the one I've kept, lol) has been in storage for 12 years. She's only seen it once in her entire life. So she really has no idea.

So I told her, and then she asked if it was a small car (she doesn't want anything big, wants something small). And I said... why yes, yes it is...

So that's that... I offered the seller $4,000 and told him that I had owned many Fieros before and appreciated his consideration. DONE... he slept on it, and sold it to me this morning. So now I need to pick it up...

It's a 1985 Fiero 2m4 SE w/ 5-Speed Muncie. It's got the Iron Duke of course, but I know every part of this car backwards and forwards, and parts are cheap. She can't get into trouble with 102 horsepower (or whatever it is), and she'll end up learning stick. Plus, she's expressed interest in racing, so I'll try to get her into SOLO events that we can drive to. I think it'll be fun.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! You and TDA have something in common.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And so it begins
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Very nice! You and TDA have something in common.

Digital Alchemist has an 85 2m4? That's awesome. I don't know which has me more excited, that my daughter really liked the look of the car, without any pressure whatsoever from me, or that I'm going to have a Fiero parked in front of my house from now on.

I just transferred the money to my checking account so I can make a withdrawal at the bank, and already made the reservations for the tow dolly.

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

And so it begins

Hahaha, stop! What begins? Another obsession? Tons of money being wasted?

Sigh... yes, I know. I'm going to make my daughter do all of it though. She will learn what every one of these parts are.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Digital Alchemist has an 85 2m4?

He just bought a Fiero for his son.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a 1985 Fiero 2m4 SE w/ 5-Speed Muncie. It's got the Iron Duke of course, but I know every part of this car backwards and forwards, and parts are cheap. She can't get into trouble with 102 horsepower (or whatever it is), and she'll end up learning stick. Plus, she's expressed interest in racing, so I'll try to get her into SOLO events that we can drive to. I think it'll be fun.

Don't bet on that.. Duke yes, but still quick and sooo fun to drive with the manual transmission. (I waited 40 years, always wanting a car with a Muncie 4 spd and finally got one, behind a Duke) I quit letting Jane drive my 84. Every time she went to town in it, she brought it back hung up in 2nd gear and she knew how to drive a stick shift, but never could master that Muncie.
You picked the right color!!!!

(look for that photo date and you'll know what was happening that day)
Go ahead now tho, and get yourself a spare slave cylinder and bracket and check that clutch pedal out when you get it home....

I've owned 2 silver cars in the last 56 years. I really loved the 61 vette but my 84 with the 4 spd was the most fun to drive vehicle I ever owned.
PM me your mailing address and I'll send you something for her.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-24-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Everything I'm about to say is 100% true...

Todd left out the best part. Over in the tech section Todd and I were arguing (as usual), this time about '84 distributors.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work] Here:

I had this car up on the screen, feverishly looking up distributors so I could prove Patrick wrong...

So, in a roundabout way, I was somewhat a contributing factor in Todd acquiring this Fiero for his daughter.

Oh, and the eventual outcome of our argument... Todd was wrong.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... congrats to your daughter on her new car!
Good luck! I hope it turns out to be a solid runner.
And yeah... I've got a Duke with a 5 speed. It won't give you whiplash, but it is a fun car to drive. (Sorry. No distributor. )

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-27-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

He just bought a Fiero for his son.

Oh man, that is so cool! This is a fantastic car... it was for me, and the fact that my daughter likes it too is just that much better!

Originally posted by Patrick:

So, in a roundabout way, I was somewhat a contributing factor in Todd acquiring this Fiero for his daughter.

Oh, and the eventual outcome of our argument... Todd was wrong.

Hahah... Patrick, well... I can't ALWAYS be right, then I would be inhuman!

Originally posted by maryjane:

Don't bet on that.. Duke yes, but still quick and sooo fun to drive with the manual transmission. (I waited 40 years, always wanting a car with a Muncie 4 spd and finally got one, behind a Duke) I quit letting Jane drive my 84. Every time she went to town in it, she brought it back hung up in 2nd gear and she knew how to drive a stick shift, but never could master that Muncie.
You picked the right color!!!!

(look for that photo date and you'll know what was happening that day)
Go ahead now tho, and get yourself a spare slave cylinder and bracket and check that clutch pedal out when you get it home....

I've owned 2 silver cars in the last 56 years. I really loved the 61 vette but my 84 with the 4 spd was the most fun to drive vehicle I ever owned.
PM me your mailing address and I'll send you something for her.

Oh man, that was Hurricane Ike! Poor Fiero! I left some cars out in a large open field too (I was afraid of trees falling on them). Did the same thing back in 05 for Hurricane Wilma. I suppose it worked out OK, but a small tornado ripped most of the shingles off my neighbor's roof, and sent them flying all over the cul-de-sac. My Crown Vic had roofing rash (if that's a thing) all over the hood and roof.

Yes, this color, silver, is fantastic. It really makes the car look much newer than it really is. It's a timeless style and color on this car... it really is.

I had an 84 back in the day, and I have to say it was a really fun car to drive fast... or quick I mean, even in parking lots. I knew I wasn't going fast, but pushing the car at its limits was so much fun. And that was with an automatic... with a 5-Speed, she's going to have a blast with it, but she's really responsible... way more responsible than I was, so I'm happy.

I really appreciate it MJ, I'll send a PM... thank you!

That's pretty cool about the Alamo Area Fiero Owners club. I wish I'd had my Fiero in Texas... mine is still in storage, but since I'm renting the trailer... I might as well get my Fiero too. So I'll go from no Fieros, to two Fieros all in the same weekend. I rented the trailer for 2 days... so I'll get hers in Saturday (next week), and mine on Sunday. Haha...

Originally posted by Raydar:

Well... congrats to your daughter on here new car!
Good luck! I hope it turns out to be a solid runner.
And yeah... I've got a Duke with a 5 speed. It won't give you whiplash, but it is a fun car to drive. (Sorry. No distributor. )

You wouldn't believe it... the guy sent me all the service records, and he literally had the clutch replaced, with thrust bearing (whatever that is), had the flywheel machined, and some other things, just a few months ago. I have the receipts for all of it, so that's a huge job that I was planning on doing, and now I don't have to.

But yeah, like someone said, somewhere... I'm sure that clutch pedal is bent to hell!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2023 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations man, that's really cool!

Hope you enjoy teaching her how to drive and that the car provides many happy memories for you both!
( I got a Gold 86 SE for my son)
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2023 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She can't get into trouble with 102 horsepower (or whatever it is),..

It's 92HP and 134TQ, and I got in PLENTY of close calls with trouble. I figured out quickly when you have no power, you need to conserve as much momentum around corners as possible, meaning mastering braking, figuring out the racing line, and driving at the tire's limits of grip. The rack and pinion steering in the Fiero provides plenty of feedback, and you can tell when it's about to let go.

https://www.thedrive.com/ne...with-the-least-power

When I bought my Subaru STI, even with 305HP, my favorite part of the car was the Brembo brakes. Every time I thought I was approaching that car's limits, it turned out I was nowhere close.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2023 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She can't get into trouble with 102 horsepower (or whatever it is), and she'll end up learning stick. Plus, she's expressed interest in racing, so I'll try to get her into SOLO events that we can drive to. I think it'll be fun.

Learning a manual is great, she'll be able to drive just about anything and most of her friends won't. But that can't get into trouble idea is wrong. I assure you she can if, she leans that direction. I've told the story many times of owning 22 different 88 Fieros. There are reasons I had so many, some of which is my two kids. Son wrecked and totaled three different Fieros five times, daughter wrecked and totaled three all on her own. Yeah, the wife blames me...................

Rams
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2023 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Learning a manual is great, she'll be able to drive just about anything and most of her friends won't. But that can't get into trouble idea is wrong. I assure you she can if, she leans that direction. I've told the story many times of owning 22 different 88 Fieros. There are reasons I had so many, some of which is my two kids. Son wrecked and totaled three different Fieros five times, daughter wrecked and totaled three all on her own. Yeah, the wife blames me...................

Rams

Your son wrecked and totaled three (3) different Fieros five (5) times ... meaning, he was in fifteen (15) different accidents?? Methinks I misunderstand ...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, wish me luck! I'm picking it up tomorrow! Going to be towing it with my 2015 Ford Edge Titanium with the 3.5 DOHC V6. It has a built-in factory Class 3/4 hitch with built in wiring.

The relays and / or wiring on my Class-4 hitch with my Crown Victoria are no longer working, so I won't be towing anything with the Crown Vic, and my Explorer has a Class 2, and U-Haul, even today, won't rent trailers to Ford Explorers older than 2010 (I have a 2009).

It'll be a 3-4 hour drive each way.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Your son wrecked and totaled three (3) different Fieros five (5) times ... meaning, he was in fifteen (15) different accidents?? Methinks I misunderstand ...

Probably not stated very well. Sorry about that.

To further explain, my son had five wrecks in Fieros. Three of the Fieros he wrecked were totaled by our insurance, he bought them back, repaired and put them back on the road. The end result was a total of five totaled Fieros. I hope that explains it.

His decision to repair his totaled Fieros because Dad wouldn't give him another. All of his cars were stock (4 cylinder 5 speed), he always wondered why his Dad wouldn't let him drive any of the V8 or Supercharged cars.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-04-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, wish me luck! I'm picking it up tomorrow! Going to be towing it with my 2015 Ford Edge Titanium with the 3.5 DOHC V6. It has a built-in factory Class 3/4 hitch with built in wiring.

The relays and / or wiring on my Class-4 hitch with my Crown Victoria are no longer working, so I won't be towing anything with the Crown Vic, and my Explorer has a Class 2, and U-Haul, even today, won't rent trailers to Ford Explorers older than 2010 (I have a 2009).

It'll be a 3-4 hour drive each way.

You'll be close to max, depending how much the trailer weighs and assuming the car weighs 2600 lbs..

https://letstowthat.com/ford-edge-towing-capacity/

But, most of us that have done a lot of towing usually go over the recommended load.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You'll be close to max, depending how much the trailer weighs and assuming the car weighs 2600 lbs..

https://letstowthat.com/ford-edge-towing-capacity/

But, most of us that have done a lot of towing usually go over the recommended load.

Thanks MJ, that's good to know. My wife's car is the 2015, with the 3.5V6. It came with the Class-3 towing package. Has some driver-assist features such as anti-sway, and a few other things. It says 3,500 pounds. So assuming this 85 2m4 SE w/ 5-Speed is about ~2,600 pounds, I should be comfortably under the 3,500 towing range. I'll respect the 55mph on the way back with the car, but on the way there, I'm doing 75 with the empty trailer. I leave in 30 minutes, have to drop the daughter off for Girl Scouts. So she'll see it in the driveway when we pick her up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, no idea what the trailer weighs. I've used these before, and have had to move them around on my own. I'd guess ~400lbs. Only website I could find that even mentioned the weight, said they were 1,600 pounds... which is completely absurd. It was an AI-generated webpage, so it's confidently wrong about almost everything on there. I'm sure it conflated the largest tow trailer to that of the 2-wheel dolly. I've flipped them before (in the backyard I mean, with my bare hands), and I absolutely could not have done that if it was 1,600 pounds. It definitely feels like ~400 pounds... maybe closer to 350lbs.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-04-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22759 posts
Member since Aug 2002
No Fiero... Tow-Dolly Acquired... 10:00 AM

Fiero Acquired: 8:45 PM

Overall, pretty pleased... and I was VERY surprised at how well the Ford Edge handled towing the car. It felt labored with the tow dolly, but then with a car on the dolly, it didn't feel any different... except for the fact that it didn't jiggle and make all kinds of racket.

The car turned out to be a pretty complete / nice car. It's got all the usual "Fiero" stuff... I mean, it looks, SOUNDS, and definitely SMELLS like a Fiero. It has the rusted out battery tray, bent clutch pedal (which prevents it from properly catching). I also think the clutch master cyl needs to be bled. The wiring is not the greatest, but it's all complete. Looks like someone used garden hose (or something similar) to do the under-body heater core lines. Some other odds and ends that are very "Fiero," but other than that, very solid. No damage that I can see anywhere, paint is very good (I think it's a repaint in the original color), has a new clutch. It runs and drives, and no frame rust at all.

I also got with it a massive storage bin of parts. Lots of new parts in there, some old "spares." But lots of new parts including two clutch master cyls, and a bunch of Fiero Store catalogs and parts still in the Leader Industries packaging ... thought that was pretty cool. I also got three huge binders full of receipts from since the dawn of man. There was also a copy of the 1984 Fiero Service Manual, and a Hayes and a Chilton's repair manual.

I killed the battery because I put the parking lights on while it sat on the tow dolly, so now I'll have to leave it parked there (in the road next to the park, which is directly across from my house when I step out my front door).

I got a lot of waves, thumbs up, and other hand signals that I can only assume were either encouragement, or rage... but I'm thinking the former.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I got it off the trailer this morning. Started right up. It spits out a ton of water out the exhaust pipe, but that could just be because it was raining on the way home, and the Fiero was going backwards. I drove it around the block, and ... hahah... the suspension DEFINITELY needs to be fixed. I think the tie-rods in the rear are completely, I mean, completely shot. At one point, it felt like I was driving down the road (at 20 miles an hour, mind you), sideways.

It's a VERY solid car... and I'm NOT concerned at all because I plan to go through it completely.

I think though, my biggest problem is trying to figure out what to do first. I don't want to do ANYTHING until my daughter gets back from her Girl Scout camping trip, but I'd like to set up a "plan of action" for how we can go through the car. First would be that I'd like to go through the car with her to identify all the things that's wrong with it, so we can start making a parts "check-list."

Normally, when I would get a car like this, I'd just tear the whole thing down and completely restore it from the ground up... but that's always been very costly, and sometimes unnecessary... and it can become discouraging as well since you see what's a completed car now, to something where parts are all over the place and it no longer looks like a car.

With that thought, I'd like to address this from the perspective of repairing the systems one by one. I remember watching a TV show on SpeedVision many years ago. It was some guy who was restoring an older Packard... that, like this car, was solid... but just needed everything fixed.

So first I thought it might be reasonable to address the things that involve "safety" ... my thoughts on this are:

1 - Brakes
2 - Suspension (maybe do them at the same time as brakes)
3 - Fuel System
4 - Replace the battery tray (teach my daughter how to weld)

And then when that's done, we can start tackling all the other things, like the insane high-idle when you first start it up...

Thoughts?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it without a problem. Yes, those dollies, like most empty trailers make a lot of racket empty, and like to wander around a bit. My cattle trailer made lots of dang noise empty but quietened down a lot once the cows were loaded. I hauled a 73 Ventura from Lafayette La to San Angelo Texas on a dolly, which included I-10 right thru the middle of Houston and then San Antonio. Wasn't fun, but I was pulling it behind a big U-Haul truck. Long 600 mile trip to make and be able to NOT get in a position where I had to back up.

Sounds like (hopefully) it was well maintained except perhaps the heater core lines, but that's easily remedied.
Battery tray no problem and the high idle may be vac leak or temp sensor or dirty IAC, but they do tend to idle around 1500 at start anyway.

I have never pulled a Fiero on a dolly but have seen it done and they loaded it just as you did up on the dolly but needed to take some of the fascia off to do it..

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../HTML/095106.html#p0

Did you have any trouble getting it all the way up on the dolly??

Do move it tho, before one of those tall ugly things sees it and decides to fall on it...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-05-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glad you made it without a problem. Yes, those dollies, like most empty trailers make a lot of racket empty, and like to wander around a bit. My cattle trailer made lots of dang noise empty but quietened down a lot once the cows were loaded. I hauled a 73 Ventura from Lafayette La to San Angelo Texas on a dolly, which included I-10 right thru the middle of Houston and then San Antonio. Wasn't fun, but I was pulling it behind a big U-Haul truck. Long 600 mile trip to make and be able to NOT get in a position where I had to back up.

Sounds like (hopefully) it was well maintained except perhaps the heater core lines, but that's easily remedied.
Battery tray no problem and the high idle may be vac leak or temp sensor or dirty IAC, but they do tend to idle around 1500 at start anyway.

I have never pulled a Fiero on a dolly but have seen it done and they loaded it just as you did up on the dolly but needed to take some of the fascia off to do it..

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../HTML/095106.html#p0

Did you have any trouble getting it all the way up on the dolly??

Do move it tho, before one of those tall ugly things sees it and decides to fall on it...

Ah man!!! That's brutal.

No, to be honest, I'd never towed a Fiero on a dolly before, just a Porsche 944, and a Volkswagen. This was the first one. I didn't even think about it, but I suppose because it's a "2m" style, and not with an aero-package, it had no problem getting up on the lift. I just backed it up onto the lift. I was nervous about backing it up TOO much, because I accidentally went up and over on the Porsche 944, and then had to get people to help me lift it up and over.

My wife even wanted to drive it... she's complaining a bit, saying it's so low to the ground, and that it's hard to turn... and that it feels like a go-kart the size of a car... and I told her, those are all awesome things about it.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice exhaust sound for a Duke!!
(beautiful wife with a great smile too!!!! )

I gotta stay out of this thread. I'm getting that Fiero disease again and I doubt I can even get in one.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I gotta stay out of this thread. I'm getting that Fiero disease again and I doubt I can even get in one.

Would it help if a bunch of us taunt you and say things like "that ole cowpoke could never get his old kietser into a Fiero"?

I thought I was fully vaccinated, but like often happens in my house, one of my kids comes home and re-infects me!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hahah, thanks MJ. Yes... it's hilarious because when I took it for a ride the last time, I sat there and thought to myself, how do I get out of this thing now?

The previous owner was 6'5", so he had scooped out the seat bolsters some so that he could get a bit more room. So you even sit lower. I sat there thinking, what am I supposed to pull myself up and out with?

But it's pretty cool... this is it sitting in the garage. It is a three-car, but it's not very wide. There's a little extra space between the two car and one car portion. I have the Crown Victoria almost touching the wall... so that allows me to pull in my explorer next to it, and still have plenty of room between the other side. So I can move the Fiero over, have plenty of room for the work bench and still be able to work on the car without feeling cramped. I'm thinking of putting one of those air conditioning split systems in here for during the summer months when I want to work on it with her.

The kids have Monday off because of the Tampa / Hillsborough County "Strawberry Festival" ... like when people in San Antonio get Fiesta off. My daughter is at a Girl Scout "survivalist" camping trip, so once she gets back, I'll roll up the garage door and she can check it out. She's promised me Sunday every week, after church... I'll work on the car with her.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-05-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2023 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My wife even wanted to drive it... she's complaining a bit, saying it's so low to the ground, and that it's hard to turn... and that it feels like a go-kart the size of a car... and I told her, those are all awesome things about it.

Tell her the faster the Fiero is driven, the easier the steering becomes. No lie!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2023 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"So Low To The Ground", that's funny.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's funny about that?
A Fiero DOES sit pretty low to the ground.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the trailer hitch kit from the Fiero Store but the guy I gave it to - to put on my 4.9 GT - couldn't figure out where to bolt it to... Can you take some pics of it?

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 03-08-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I have the trailer hitch kit from the Fiero Store but the guy I gave it to - to put on my 4.9 GT - couldn't figure out where to bolt it to... Can you take some pics of it?

Hi Lou, I was actually considering removing the hitch. Basically, it looks like it's welded to a 1/2" thick plate that runs the entire length of the bumper. I'll take some pictures later tonight and try to post them either tonight or tomorrow morning. It looks like a decent install, but in this case, it looks like the person probably removed the rear bumper to bolt it onto the steel bumper (meshed between it and the honeycomb deflector).
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you need a trailer hitch and ain't got one, you'll be singin a different tune...

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's funny about that?
A Fiero DOES sit pretty low to the ground.

What's funny is, he already has a Fiero. Maybe it's too much to assume but, one would think she's seen it. He's also had a Pontiac Solstice and it appears he had a Porsche 944. All, pretty low riding cars.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-08-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you need a trailer hitch and ain't got one, you'll be singin a different tune...

Haha... I know. I just don't think my daughter would ever tow something from the Fiero. I have a hitch on the Crown Vic, one on the Edge, and one on the Explorer. I'll keep it, but don't think I'm going to leave it on.

What's funny is, he already has a Fiero. Maybe it's too much to assume but, one would think she's seen it. He's also had a Pontiac Solstice and it appears he had a Porsche 944. All, pretty low riding cars.

Rams

Haha... well... that's the thing. My 87 Fiero... the one I've had my whole adult life... that car has been in storage for like 12 years. I think I've been married for 18 years, and I've known my wife since 1999... dating since 2001? But at the time, I already had another car that I drove all the time. The Fiero hasn't been running well since about ~2001. I had rebuilt the engine, and basically drove it around now and then, and my wife had only been in it once or twice. My daughter was born in 2008, and since it's a two-seater, that pretty much ended it.

With the Porsche 944, I'd completely restored it, then registered and insured it, and I only had it for like a month, and then I sold it because my daughter was born... and I basically unloaded all my cars. Really, the only car my wife likes of all the cars we've owned, is our 1973 VW Bus, which has also been in storage for 12 years. She loves that car.

She's been in the Solstice plenty of times... but it definitely sits higher than the Fiero does.

We sold the Solstice in 2008 when my daughter was born, along with her VW Beetle, and we got two ho-hum sport utility vehicles. Before last week, she hadn't actually sat in a Fiero in probably ~18 years!

And yes, I'm a complete idiot for paying all the storage fees. Someone asked too if I still had the Olds 455 Big Block that I spent a ton of money on, and yes, it's still sitting on an engine stand (from the motor mount holes, not the bell housing) wrapped in plastic, in the same storage unit as the VW Bus.

I really do miss the Porsche 944 though... I got rid of that car because, when my daughter was born, I wanted to totally unencumber myself. I wanted to focus on family and not have anything that was too frivilous or would take too much time away. Then within 3 years from my daughter being born, I had a career change. This would cause me to have to constantly move... so I never had time to get back into the car hobby... and just drove normal cars everywhere. We put the Fiero (my high school car) in storage, along with the VW Bus, and all my heavy duty shop tools (drill press, engine hoists, etc.), and sold all the cars and bought a used 2008 Jeep Patriot, and a used very low mileage 2002 Ford Explorer. I kept my grandfather's 2002 Ford Crown Victoria, which I left in my Florida house that I rented out (gave them a discount). But that's back with me now.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-08-2023).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haha... well... that's the thing. My 87 Fiero... the one I've had my whole adult life... that car has been in storage for like 12 years. I think I've been married for 18 years, and I've known my wife since 1999... dating since 2001? But at the time, I already had another car that I drove all the time. The Fiero hasn't been running well since about ~2001. I had rebuilt the engine, and basically drove it around now and then, and my wife had only been in it once or twice. My daughter was born in 2008, and since it's a two-seater, that pretty much ended it.

With the Porsche 944, I'd completely restored it, then registered and insured it, and I only had it for like a month, and then I sold it because my daughter was born... and I basically unloaded all my cars. Really, the only car my wife likes of all the cars we've owned, is our 1973 VW Bus, which has also been in storage for 12 years. She loves that car.

She's been in the Solstice plenty of times... but it definitely sits higher than the Fiero does.

We sold the Solstice in 2008 when my daughter was born, along with her VW Beetle, and we got two ho-hum sport utility vehicles. Before last week, she hadn't actually sat in a Fiero in probably ~18 years!

And yes, I'm a complete idiot for paying all the storage fees. Someone asked too if I still had the Olds 455 Big Block that I spent a ton of money on, and yes, it's still sitting on an engine stand (from the motor mount holes, not the bell housing) wrapped in plastic, in the same storage unit as the VW Bus.

I really do miss the Porsche 944 though... I got rid of that car because, when my daughter was born, I wanted to totally unencumber myself. I wanted to focus on family and not have anything that was too frivilous or would take too much time away. Then within 3 years from my daughter being born, I had a career change. This would cause me to have to constantly move... so I never had time to get back into the car hobby... and just drove normal cars everywhere. We put the Fiero (my high school car) in storage, along with the VW Bus, and all my heavy duty shop tools (drill press, engine hoists, etc.), and sold all the cars and bought a used 2008 Jeep Patriot, and a used very low mileage 2002 Ford Explorer. I kept my grandfather's 2002 Ford Crown Victoria, which I left in my Florida house that I rented out (gave them a discount). But that's back with me now.

OK, lots of previously unknown information so, maybe it wasn't so funny. But, that's one fine looking Solstice she was in. I'll leave it at that.
But, I'm not so sure the Solstice sits much higher than a stock Fiero. I have to use a similar technique getting in and falling out.

------------------
Rams
Learning most of life's lessons the hard way. Hey, you don't forget those and repeat them.
You are only young once but, you can be immature indefinitely.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, lots of previously unknown information so, maybe it wasn't so funny. But, that's one fine looking Solstice she was in. I'll leave it at that.
But, I'm not so sure the Solstice sits much higher than a stock Fiero. I have to use a similar technique getting in and falling out.

I think the difference for her is that you're sitting with your legs straight out in front of you, where as in the Solstice, you're at least sitting a little bit more like you're in a seat, rather than like sitting in a cockpit. Which, seriously... that's like the best part about the Fiero... I mean, when I sat in that thing, I was thinking to myself... damn, this is awesome.

Only thing is, I feel bad for my Fiero in storage, because I had planned to put that one in where this one is sitting... haha... but I'll go through this car pretty quickly with my daughter. We'll knock it out during the Summer, and I'll give her a bunch of jobs that she can tackle on her own.

I'd kick the Ford Explorer out, but like with every single one of the cars I own right now (practically), they have some sentimentality. The Explorer is immaculate. Looks like a brand new car... and I keep it garaged. My dad gave it to me because he didn't feel safe anymore with an 11 year old car that had 43k miles on it. I didn't want to take it because I felt bad getting a free car, but he said, "...either I sell it, and keep the money, or you take it, and you get a free car... seems like a pretty easy decision to make, no?"

So, if I kick it to the driveway, the paint is going to fade, probably within a year. Not worth it to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I really do miss that Solstice, a lot. But I knew I couldn't keep it and have a kid. My wife and I both had two-door convertibles as our daily drivers. It was ridiculous. I had a shorty-header on it, cold air intake (the GM dealer-optioned one), and a high-flow catalytic converter from the same place that sold me the header. Honestly... it was so-so before... but after I put the header and cat on... the performance was insane... like, enormous difference. I couldn't believe it. I was blowing away BMW 330s, Lexus LX-460s, you name it. It was really, really quick after that.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-08-2023).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EDIT: Oh yeah, I really do miss that Solstice, a lot. But I knew I couldn't keep it and have a kid. My wife and I both had two-door convertibles as our daily drivers. It was ridiculous. I had a shorty-header on it, cold air intake (the GM dealer-optioned one), and a high-flow catalytic converter from the same place that sold me the header. Honestly... it was so-so before... but after I put the header and cat on... the performance was insane... like, enormous difference. I couldn't believe it. I was blowing away BMW 330s, Lexus LX-460s, you name it. It was really, really quick after that.

Ya Know, it's not too late to get back into a Solstice. Being honest about it, had I been able to build a Convertible Fiero, I would have never gone to the Solstice but, fate being what it is, I got the Solstice and now, would be hard pressed to go back (unless it was a convertible). Then, it would be a tough decision.

Rams

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ya Know, it's not too late to get back into a Solstice. Being honest about it, had I been able to build a Convertible Fiero, I would have never gone to the Solstice but, fate being what it is, I got the Solstice and now, wouldn't go back (unless it was a convertible). Then, it would be a tough decision.

Rams

I really drove the hell out of that car... but I babied it. Not a nick, ding, or even the slightest rub on my paint. I babied the trunk lid, and knew exactly where to push so it would close properly... I just don't know. I know they're starting to get really cheap now since that's just how the years work out. I might get one, but it's not going to be in the next couple of years. I need to focus on this car, and then my Fiero, and then I'll think about it.

Really, I miss Pontiac in general. I'm still really, really pissed... but I won't get political here.

As much as I liked my Solstice though, I still think I would have preferred to keep my Porsche 944... aside from the obvious value difference. Although, I think the naturally aspirated 944s are probably now about the same value as the Solstices... maybe even more. I sold mine for $2,018... after putting $7k into renovations... haha... oh well.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2023 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

944s... I sold mine for $2,018... after putting $7k into renovations... haha... oh well.

<Patrick makes mental note never to ask Todd for financial advice>
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

<Patrick makes mental note never to ask Todd for financial advice>

Yeah, I was pretty bummed... but like I'd mentioned, my wife was pregnant, and my daughter was almost born, and I wanted to get rid of anything that would be an overwhelming distraction to me. I had 9 cars and a golf cart at the time... so I got rid of everything I could that didn't have any real sentimental value to me. I kept the VW Bus, my Fiero, and my grandfather's Crown Victoria. I sold everything else, and we got two low-priced SUVs. I also sold all of my computers except 2 (one for my wife and one for me), and sold about 3/4ths of my video games... like, pretty much everything I had... and then took all the money and put it into a 529 College Savings Account as soon as she was born.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As much as I liked my Solstice though, I still think I would have preferred to keep my Porsche 944... aside from the obvious value difference. Although, I think the naturally aspirated 944s are probably now about the same value as the Solstices... maybe even more. I sold mine for $2,018... after putting $7k into renovations... haha... oh well.

As I indicated previously, had I been able to build a convertible Fiero, it would still be titled in my name. I absolutely love driving and riding in the wind. If you were to take a glance into my garage, you'd agree. To each their own, Porsche never turned my crank with the exception of the 911 and I could never afford one of those. It is, what it is. Get that girl's Fiero checked out, fixed and roadworthy. It's a great father/daughter project.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haha... I know. I just don't think my daughter would ever tow something from the Fiero. I have a hitch on the Crown Vic, one on the Edge, and one on the Explorer.

Well, ya just never know.... I used to pull either a horse trailer or a bass boat with this, more often the horse trailer:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock