Started on: 03-15-2023 10:21 AM
Replies: 17 (272 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 03-17-2023 12:12 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never really owned a place with a lot of concrete around it and now I do. Driveway, front walk, back porch walk and about 105' of concrete apron just around the swimming pool plus an apron that connects the pool area to a storage building. I been keeping it trimmed/edged with the big Stihl 2cycle brush cutter/weed eater I brought with me, but it's a lot overkill and slings crap everywhere, especially into the pool water. I don't really want to spend 100s of dollars for a gas or battery power edger which booth throw crap up on the pavement and into the pool..
So, at around $70, do these things work?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-15-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, and very well.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, used to use one of those growin' up. creates a nice, clean line. My current lawn only has about 6 feet where it neighbors concrete, so I just use a knife for it.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to appear ignorant (which in this case, I am) but exactly how do ya use the things?

In someplaces, the surface of the concrete is as much as 6" from the top of the soil...
Does the wheel part go only up on the concrete and roll along? Is it adjustable, in regards to it's cutter distance from top of concrete down to the grass line?

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much. You push down and forward and move it a little bit and slide it back. A little elbow grease is required. *shuck-a shuck-a shuck-a* .

depends on how the roots are. if you do it every year/ever few months, it's easier because the roots are "newer".

Video

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 03-15-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure the blades will reach the soil line and roots around the pool, but I might be able to adapt it to make the roller work placed down on the grass.
I have toyed with attaching a long handle to my skill saw (I have several) and just slide it along the grass since the depth is adjustable on it...
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its an amazon link
Sunseeker MFT26I-EDGER-A Universal Edger Attachment
This is an attachment, it has a guard to keep the cuttings kind of in control.
Perhaps something like that would work and be less of a PITA
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best edger I ever used was a small 2-stroke Troy-Bilt tiller with the tines removed and an edger blade installed. (Came with the tiller.)
It was noisy and smoky. My neighbors loved me.
We had one like the one in the picture, except that it only had one wheel, instead of two. Was lots of work.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-15-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2023 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spade works well.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I hate to appear ignorant (which in this case, I am) but exactly how do ya use the things?

In some places, the surface of the concrete is as much as 6" from the top of the soil...

My parents had one of those lawn edgers to use all along the sidewalks on our corner lot... which meant there was a lot of edging to do. Those edgers are designed to trim grass from a lawn that's level with the sidewalk. It would be useless for trimming grass from a lawn that's 6" below the concrete surface.

A lawn edger actually digs out a little "groove" along the edge of the sidewalk the first time it's used... which means it's not just trimming grass, it's plowing through dirt and roots! It's hard work the first time it's done! After the groove has been created, subsequent trimmings are relatively easy if done on a regular basis (before dirt and roots fill in the groove again).

There are electric lawn edgers that would make the job a heckuva lot easier, especially the first time the edging is done. My recommendation would be to rent one of those for the first edging job (or use a spade), and then use the non-powered edger from that point forward.

By the way, a lawn edger is pushed along on the concrete. I mention this for two reasons. That edger you posted a picture of looks like it might have plastic wheels (although doubtful). If so, they wouldn't last any length of time whatsoever on concrete, plus they wouldn't grip the concrete to turn the blades. They need to be rubber. The other reason why I mentioned that the edger needs to be on the concrete is because I came across the following from Here. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Obviously this illustrator has never used a lawn edger!

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

How To Use A Manual Lawn Edger

I watched that after I wrote my post. It's a good video... although the guy isn't telling the whole truth when he says... "It's a very easy tool to use". Definitely not easy the first time!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-16-2023).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1 and 2 wheel Edgers above work as shown is Ace video...
If you buy them, 2 wheels prevent twisting of the head.

Works Well? Maybe for some users. Not at all for anyone that has more edging then a few yards.

Maybe better near pools but I hate them for any other use...
Even with gloves, your hands get a beating and blister soon.
Even before that often hate them fast as get easily jammed w/ roots, rocks, etc. Like Ace Video showing overgrowth will kill your arms and hands. Is often why you find them in "Brand New" condition sold at flea markets etc.

You can get battery powered edgers or trimmer/edger at different levels from Ryobi and many others that work better for small yards etc. Many go on sale often so you get battery, charger, and tool(s) for less $. But if a "kit" only has 2a/hr battery, the battery may not last w/ edgers etc that drain the battery completely and fast.

18/20v battery Can reduce crap getting thrown because less power to start with.
Edger/trimmer Can modify them in several ways to nearly stop the string thrown crap and string pieces. (String can break or loose small pieces for auto feed units.)
Edger only units have better guards maybe better. Example: https://www.ryobitools.com/.../details/46396014870

Example: I have Ryobi P2080 trimmer/edger and most set in edger mode. Has a wheel to make edging easier. vs others just flip the head to edge and you must aim the tool 100% all the time. Can use .065 and .080 trimmer line. Does throw some crap with both line sizes but Not like most Gas or 120vac edgers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2023 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after reading all this, I think I'll just try to make a shroud for my weedeater to keep debris from flying up on the pool apron and into the water.. Thanks!!

Next..
Do these things save ya any $$ on electric bills? I had one, a spring broke in it not long after we maved in and I replaced it yesterday. A pain in the ass because of where it was located.......... kinda behind the water heater. Water heater is in the garage, which in Central Tx stays pretty dang hot much of the year and (almost) always much above freezing in winter. We use a lot of water, but not a lot of hot water. Just the 2 of us.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2023 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do these things save ya any $$ on electric bills? I had one, a spring broke in it not long after we maved in and I replaced it yesterday. A pain in the ass because of where it was located.......... kinda behind the water heater. Water heater is in the garage, which in Central Tx stays pretty dang hot much of the year and (almost) always much above freezing in winter. We use a lot of water, but not a lot of hot water. Just the 2 of us.
Depends on Billing Method use by Power Co.

Most homes and small business in the US pays same electric rate all the time. So Timers don't save you and eats some power doing nothing.
Some have "On Demand" billing that cost different rates during day and night. If true for you, Timers on Water Heater and some other things can save a lot.

For On Demand billing...
"Old"/"dumb" meters had 2 sets of arrows to count electric use and clock to switch between them. Big Problem was the clock is often way off because of power outage and most customers have no clue and get billed at wrong rate vs Real Time.
New "Smart Meter" can use Demand Billing but is not easy by looking at most of them. So most times now You have to go online and look at billing plan and usage at each rate.

Don't confuse with Power Co Remote Switches (Switch outside near the units or inside as "Smart Thermostats" provided by Power Co and others.) for HVAC systems like Central AC/Heatpump for home. This only saves the Power Co and maybe give some discounts to you for giving Power Co final say when/if AC turns on at given time like "Power Emergencies" in CA and other states don't have enough power now cause by "green issues." These can shut off at any time and w/o warning.

Note: Many people "get" power from X co but actually distributed by same Big Power Co or City. If true, read the bill very carefully. X maybe On Demand or not while BPC or city is on the other method.

That this is "standard" electric billing... If involve Solar Panels etc. then billing is often more complicated. IOW Power In maybe OD or Not then Power to Grid plus leasing and other contracts w/ Solar Co make paying you more complicated bill and may need to get info from more companies.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-16-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2023 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could solve both issues at once and just get a goat or 2...labor-free edge trimming and warm liquid production all in one mobile unit !

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2023 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hot water heater timers are a good idea as long as it under your control.
One year Florida power started a program, they turned off our water heaters during "peak" times. I worked hard all day and came home very dirty, only to find out there was no hot water due to the new schedule.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2023 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, after reading all this, I think I'll just try to make a shroud for my weed eater to keep debris from flying up on the pool apron and into the water.. Thanks!!

Don't bother.

Edging does not need to be every week. When the wind is out of the east, Edge the west side. You know that planes take off into the prevailing wind.

I had one, or two, of those hand jobs. Flat tines, no sharpened edge. It will get the job done but, you usually have to push and then pull rearward.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2023 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

It will get the job done but, you usually have to push and then pull rearward.

For sure. It's two feet forward, one foot back... two feet forward, one foot back... two feet forward, one foot back... over and over and over again. I really hated using that thing, especially as a skinny kid with no appreciable weight behind me.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2023 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
I had one, or two, of those hand jobs. .

Only 1 or 2??
Slacker...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock