Started on: 03-21-2020 06:51 PM
Replies: 12 (234 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-22-2020 03:08 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I've got an Armadillo that lives under my shed in the backyard. I don't mind the guy... occasionally when we're eating dinner, we see him running around in the back yard looking for something to eat. It's rare, but usually when it gets darker earlier (near the Summer time).

He digs and stuff, which I don't mind, but there are a couple of places where I'd like to prevent him from digging. Is there any way that I can *prevent* him from digging in certain areas? Like... perhaps, I can put salt or some lyme or, I dunno?

Again, I don't mind him digging everywhere, there's just a small handful of places. I even made a slot under the fence where he can walk under so he doesn't continue to have to dig.

I caught a picture of him when I was working in the front yard. In this picture, he ran across the street to dig in my neighbor's yard. My daughter got a hold of my phone one weekend, and she modified the image (somehow?) on my phone. She calls him Bob, which is kind of funny.

Also... I'm trying to decide whether or not to lay mulch or rock in my front yard landscaped area. Will "Bob" be as likely to dig through a rock bed, than he will a bed of mulch?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-21-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

So, I've got an Armadillo that lives under my shed in the backyard.

Cool! Not counting my cat, all I have in my backyard are squirrels, rodents, raccoons, a skunk... and the occasional coyote that runs past.

I'll trade you my skunk (sorry, no name) for Bob... although shipping could be an issue.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard that armadillos can carry leprosy, but maryjane can probably set us straight on that.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-21-2020 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't say I've ever tried it with an armadillo, but cyanne pepper works wonders for racoon's, skunks, dogs, cats, druggies and just about any other living thing that tries to crawl through it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I have heard that armadillos can carry leprosy...

Damn, maybe I'll just keep the skunk.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd, the mulch may not be an attractive target for the animal that is known to harbor leprosy, but eventually, it will be, as he is searching for bugs and predominantly larvae of any kind as well as earthworms and tender plant roots. You'll get tired of all the little holes after awhile and even worse, it will eventually find another of his kind to breed with and you'll look out one morning or on a moonlit night and find as I did last year, a whole famlily of the diggers. They will dig burrows under anything they can to stay in during the day as they are mostly nocturnal. I've seen significant damage done under the edges of concrete foundations before, as well as canyons dug under backyard sheds.
You probably don't want to, but if you live in a subdivision, I'd go ahead and get in front of the curve and call animal control or 'take care' of the problem yourself with a .22 round or trap and relocate the beggar far away. If you have flower beds, he is going to wreak havoc on them searching for plant bulbs and earthworms.
BTDT

https://www.statesman.com/N...madillos-and-leprosy
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

...it will eventually find another of his kind to breed with

Get Bob neutered!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whether you like country or progressive rock, I got a song for you.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Todd, the mulch may not be an attractive target for the animal that is known to harbor leprosy, but eventually, it will be, as he is searching for bugs and predominantly larvae of any kind as well as earthworms and tender plant roots. You'll get tired of all the little holes after awhile and even worse, it will eventually find another of his kind to breed with and you'll look out one morning or on a moonlit night and find as I did last year, a whole famlily of the diggers. They will dig burrows under anything they can to stay in during the day as they are mostly nocturnal. I've seen significant damage done under the edges of concrete foundations before, as well as canyons dug under backyard sheds.
You probably don't want to, but if you live in a subdivision, I'd go ahead and get in front of the curve and call animal control or 'take care' of the problem yourself with a .22 round or trap and relocate the beggar far away. If you have flower beds, he is going to wreak havoc on them searching for plant bulbs and earthworms.
BTDT

I woke up one morning to find my carefully manicured and greatly cared for front lawn looking like a miniature 8th Air Force had carpet bombed it.

There were dozens and dozens of craters approx. 8-10 inches in diameter and about 4-5 inches deep all over the place.

My neighbor quickly identified them as "Dillo Digs" and just as quickly identified the cause as grub worms. My lawn was infested with them and the "armored possums" were having a buffet.

We sat on my front porch that night with a cooler full of ice and beer, guns in hand, and spent a happy night plinking 'dillos.

Took a lot longer to get my lawn repaired.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-21-2020).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTDT

Thanks MJ... I was hoping for your response.

I like the guy, not trying to be a hippie or anything, but we kind of think of him as our wild pet. I honestly don't mind the digging in the front and back yard at all... it's just in very specific areas. I read the article you linked to... I hate to put things to chance, but if I did my odds correctly, my chance of getting leprosy is 00.83%. It said 95% of the population is immune to leprosy, and 1 in 6 'dillos carry leprosy. So 5% x 16% equals 0.83%. The only thing really bugging me is the leprosy thing, but if the odds are less than 1% (though that percentage is recalculated every time I put my hand in a dig spot, which I don't actually do).

I'm working on my landscaping now... when I've got it all done, if he starts really jacking up the new front landscaping, then I'll call animal control. I suppose every wild animal in your backyard is a problem, but some I'm willing to live with as I "share the land," lol.

Are you aware of any plants that they don't particularly like? Like maybe something they generally avoid because they don't like the scent?

Originally posted by Patrick:

Cool! Not counting my cat, all I have in my backyard are squirrels, rodents, raccoons, a skunk... and the occasional coyote that runs past.

I'll trade you my skunk (sorry, no name) for Bob... although shipping could be an issue.

Hahah... yeah, definitely don't want a skunk! I don't feel any aggression from the armadillo. When I do see the guy, he's usually just minding his own business. I did startle him once, and he hauled butt into his burrow under the shed, which is how I knew that's where he lived. But it's funny to see him walk around sometimes when he's out during the day (which is really rare). It's even funnier to see them jump over curbs. It's the weirdest thing... there's no running start. The armadillo will walk up to a curb, stop, and then his little legs will cause him to leap up and over the curb, and continue on. It's the craziest thing to see...

We had a white peacock living in the big oak tree in our backyard in Florida. My daughter called him Bruce, because he showed up at the same time our neighbor (Bruce) died, and just stayed for 4-5 years. The peacock would hang out all day long in the backyard, usually under the shade of our starfruit tree in the back by the shed. Then near the end of the day, he would climb up on our roof and start calling for a mate (which was really loud, and really obnoxious). On occasion, throughout the day the bird would walk around the back yard making some noise and opening up his feathers.

We also had a LOT of these crazy looking green lizards, and also a lot of parakeets which were extremely loud, but cool to look at...

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and 1 in 6 'dillos carry leprosy.

Give 'er a spin youngun....

I've been to the leper colony at Quy Hoa and want nothing to do with that terrible affliction.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been to the leper colony at Quy Hoa and want nothing to do with that terrible affliction.

Get Bob vaccinated!

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I suppose every wild animal in your backyard is a problem, but some I'm willing to live with as I "share the land," lol.

I feel the same way about most critters. I like having them around. If they don't bother me, I don't bother them. I draw the line at mice and rats though. Fortunately, my outdoor cat (which adopted me two years ago) appears to have run roughshod through their ranks, laying waste to the local rodent population.

Todd, I'm rather envious of all the exotic creatures you have down there!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock