Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Reproduction TAIL LIGHTS coming soon (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Reproduction TAIL LIGHTS coming soon by Slammed
Started on: 04-20-2015 03:18 PM
Replies: 575 (27084 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 04-24-2016 01:14 PM
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edited. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 01-05-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Domtech

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What process is being used, and with what materials for the part/mold? Many, many people have attempted to recreate them and failed.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are not sharing details

At least until after productions have finished and they are available

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 04-20-2015).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know yet a price point? Thanks
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Until we nail down the process, I don't have a solid price to share just yet

Ballpark $500. Could be less, could be more. The printing on the inside of the lens is what will decide the final cost for us
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2015 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I presume your pulling of molds from the lenses also included removing of the DOT stamp, as you don't have the original molds (which were apparently destroyed), and your lenses have not been DOT approved?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct

This doesn't necessarily mean we won't get DOT approval, but for now we have removed them

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cant wait to see how these turn out ...

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kudos for doing this project!
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested.
PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

New to the forum but not new to Fieros. I haven't had one for many years and when I joined the forum after picking up another, I found that GT lenses are no longer being reproduced and are highly sought after

With materials being supplied by Curbell Plastics and built by RT Machine, we will be manufacturing exact replica tail lights for both notchback and fastback Fieros. We acquired brand new lenses to pull molds from and have finished the tooling just this morning. Without going into detail about the process, I will say that these lenses will not suffer from delamination, are impact/UV resistant and will be crystal clear.

Expect them to be for sale mid-June/early-July through our website that is being constructed specifically for these AND a large vendor most of you are already familiar with.

Wow, thanks for doing this. Truly appreciate it. Slammed, you might also want to look into making Reatta taillight lenses. They are also hard to find.

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wishin the best for you on this but, Ill have to wait till someone parts a car out to afford them. Maybe get someones old ones if they get new ones.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We understand that this will be too much for some people. It is half of what some purchase a complete GT for

Right now we are trying to come up with a solution for the printing that will allow us to do it in house and not farm out the job. Bring the cost down
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm "Mulder" on this.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing is the first step to believing. Can't wait to see...
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hope this really does come true. I've seen post's in the past that talked about reproducing the lenses but it never happened.

If it does happened, expect a LOT of customers, including me.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in at that price point time to start saving the pennys.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to believe this outright, but I remain a bit skeptical at this point, and really, really hope to be proven wrong. There have just been so many broken promises in the past both for quarter windows and tail lights. None to date have produced anything. I hope this is the time that this changes. I think it would go a long way if you could post a couple pictures of the tooling, or molds, no exact details of course.

You keep mentioning printing on the inside of the lenses. There is no printing on the originals, unless you are going a different route. I just mentioned the other day, in another thread before seeing this one, that I thought that would be an alternate way to go. Manufacturing an inside piece (The black plastic insert) and the outer clear layer would require 4 molds. It would not be OEM in the manufacturing style, but dying / painting the inside of a clear lens would cut down on costs significantly.

Check out the GT tail light restoration thread here on the forum for another way to approach it. Painting and clearing the exterior of the tail light.

I do hope this works out, and wish you the best of success in the endeavor!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-23-2015).]

ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got some great sail pannels for my GT from someone in indiana that wasmaking them 4 years ago.. So I don't know what you mean by broken promises with the sail pannels.

[This message has been edited by ltlgt88 (edited 04-20-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlgt88:

I got some great sail pannels for my GT from someone in indiana that wasmaking them 4 years ago.. So I don't know what you mean by broken promises with the sail pannels.

To Date:
Ken Hines has made sail panels, not offered with the dot matrix printing
Chris Cook has made them, but can have fitment issues

Both options are virtually flat. Slight curves, but no where near the original front to back, and top to bottom complex curves. It is much appreciated that they have provided them to the Fiero Community, but no one has yet to nail down the process to make them as good as the originals.

Also Read up a little on Ms Lori and PokeyFiero's Panels (He is still at least trying to pursue making them)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing will be posted until they are ready to ship. No pre-order, no teasers, no anything. The forum, while large, is only part of the community. It isn't as if people being skeptical affects the project. When they are ready to go, that won't matter anymore. This was just a way to announce outside of the other 3 or so threads, that hey, we are doing it. We have guys with decades of experience working with thermoforming/injection moulding and they'll get it done right.

We have an idea for a date, hopefully we make it. If not, later, it'll happen. We have already spent a SIGNIFICANT amount of man hours and funding on this project.

The lenses will not have black inserts like the originals. Silly design honestly

Not a joke, sail panels come next. I have an original no spiderweb set sitting on the shelf right now waiting.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear it, and I do hope you have great success with this project.

If you conquer the tail lights, the sail panels will be a walk in the park!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for doing this... the other taillight threads were headed for the trash can as people beat each other up over the "impossibility" of reproducing these lenses. Honestly it's just plastic, but some go on as if they were magically produced in a unicorn factory.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will be one of the greatest adds we have had in our community in a long while. Wishing you guys great success!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

This will be one of the greatest adds we have had in our community in a long while. Wishing you guys great success!

+1. The comparison to a unicorn factory is apt, as the parts are not just plastic. The surface quality of transparent parts (two surfaces) is many times more difficult to achieve than molding an interior part with a pebble surface. The difficulty translates to expense, and that is what Mr. Slammed is working with. When you get all done and look at it, they don't pass the 'eye test'.

Good Luck to Mr. Slammed!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've often wondered why GM used the laminated film process on the Fiero tail lights. They continue to use the process today. I remember my wife's Grand Prix tail lights and how they began to delaminate and the man and woman next door each had Grand Prix's and their lights were delaminating. I'm sure there are other GM cars with the same problem but the Fiero and Grand Prix are two that I know about.

Printing the inside masking would be the ideal way to go. Except for the pad printing process, the pieces would need to be printed in the flat and then formed. Pad printing is more versatile for curved or irregular surfaces.

Since I know nothing about Slammed or his associates, I'll have to assume and hope that they will succeed. I know it's doable.

I believe Pokeyfiero has the mechanism in place to produce high quality windows, but I think the process needs to be refined a little. In my opinion, the molds he made were a bit over-engineered but they should work very well for that step of the process. The order of process in the manufacture might need to be modified, but I believe it's doable for him, too. Hopefully Pokey and Slammed both succeed in producing the quarter windows. Competition and availability from a variety of sources brings prices down. Supply and Demand. Supply exceeds demand, prices go down. Demand exceeds supply, prices go up.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to have an option to buy them clear too
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the best news I heard all day! I can't wait to see new tail lights finally reproduced, even if they are slightly different than OEM!!!!

My question is, are they going to be just the lenses or whole tail light assemblies?

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just the lenses
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I hope once everything is squared away you are ready to send me two sets! :P

Good luck man, I really look forward to seeing this progress!!!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just the lenses

Lens aren't the problem for many...
The OE Cover over the lens are broken etc. I have some notch back w/ cracks in the covers but all lenses are ok.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the colored lens, the clear covers. Pretty sure everyone refers to them as lenses

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 04-21-2015).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:Printing the inside masking would be the ideal way to go.

I have serious concerns about any sort of ink or dye- it is extraordinarily difficult to make them light-fast and the last thing I want is an expensive new set of tail lights that fade from black to gray in a couple years.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are UV curable inks used for printing on polycarbonates, polyester and PET type plastics that will withstand the exposure. I printed with it on various plastics used in the chemical plant and refinery industry where they needed to label the piping. Some of the pipes are outside and many are exposed to some pretty horrific chemicals and gases. The ones used for outdoors had to withstand both chemical and UV exposure.

When sub-surface printed, meaning printed on the back side of a clear substrate, the ink has an even greater life span because it's not exposed to the elements other than UV. This is a description of some of the products I printed when I worked for Panduit Corporation.

Indoor/Outdoor Sub-Surface Printed
Polyester (Type PPS)
High quality signs for use indoors and outdoors
Excellent resistance to UV light, chemical atmosphere, and abrasion
Excellent life and adhesion properties
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lens material we are using is 100% UV resistant. Any printing done to the inside would have an extremely long life and resistance to fading

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The lens material we are using is 100% UV resistant. Any printing done to the inside would have an extremely long life and resistance to fading

I'd like to hear about your plans for accelerated life testing of these, including light-fastness, yellowing/discoloration, and stress/fatigue cracking.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for this all to work out, but there are many potential issues with a product like this over an "extremely long life".
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We don't have to do any testing. The material we are using is made specifically for clarity in high heat and UV environments

Again, we have people who have been doing this for decades. There is a reason this project has only been alive less than a month and we are already announcing it. We know what we are doing

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed: If they turn out reasonably good but not as nice as OEM do not let anyone that bashes you discourage you. I would hate to see these be made and then quickly dropped because some people attack you on them for not being as good as OEM. If someone actually makes these and they are reasonably good quality be happy for that instead of bashing this guy because they are not as nice as OEM. This may never happen again.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock