Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  MADCURL: CHOPTOP #011 (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
MADCURL: CHOPTOP #011 by Songman
Started on: 08-19-2003 01:38 PM
Replies: 526 (39979 views)
Last post by: FieroFastBackL67 on 05-23-2015 05:05 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone had asked if the rear wing is higher than the roof top. Well, the answer is no.

Crude example, but you get the point.

IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enjoying a choptop: My Tom Tom I picked the sport car icon

Look Mom, cup holder!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
#011 at the paint shop checking with Mike regarding #020.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Eating good in the neighborhood.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-24-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Nitto 285/30/20 and replacing the 275s was way over due. Originally the 275 is the same tire since 1999 or 2000. LOL. Many, many miles on the car from several trips to OK, IL and once to FL. I can't remember how many times to NV and up and down CA. Yes. Life is short, so I drive my cars.

The 285 stands straight up on the 9.5" wheel, but I think I prefer the 275s.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-24-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
285/30/20 continued; 20x.9.5 the max you can possibly use for a 1987. Maybe a 1988 you could push it beyond a 9.5" to a 10", but I won't be the person to try it.

Bird Day. Eating good in the neighborhood.

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curly,
What are the power window switches from.

Ron T
Indy owner

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

Curly,
What are the power window switches from.

Ron T
Indy owner

All three chopper are using Watson's Street Works switches. The unit that #011 has is the oldest version and doesn't have the LED light.

Here's the link: http://www.watsons-streetwo...m/power_windows.html

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-30-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Tire day:

I had the opportunity to witness a fender roll modification on a old trick out truck with a LS3

The device:

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So this thread is called Northstar Fastback??
Are the ?? at the end because we're not sure if it has a Northstar? I was just looking back through this thread, and the only engine bay shot is this one!

Originally posted by exoticse:

Pre northstar:

I understand its probably not as bling-ed out as #20's, but any chance we could get an engine bay shot Curly?

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 12-01-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

So this thread is called Northstar Fastback??
Are the ?? at the end because we're not sure if it has a Northstar? I was just looking back through this thread, and the only engine bay shot is this one! I understand its probably not as bling-ed out as #20's, but any chance we could get an engine bay shot Curly?

Trust me. After the headache with the smog dictators in CA I surely have a N* in the back, hehe. However, its just your normal looking N* (nothing to write home about). The only thing that is different is the coil-pack location. Other-than-that D1S uses an after market cruise controller (I remember going back to OKC for that part installed). Here's a pic in this thread from 2003 or so at the Vegasfest.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-032303.html
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Trust me. After the headache with the smog dictators in CA I surely have a N* in the back, hehe. However, its just your normal looking N* (nothing to write home about). The only thing that is different is the coil-pack location. Other-than-that D1S uses an after market cruise controller (I remember going back to OKC for that part installed). Here's a pic in this thread from 2003 or so at the Vegasfest.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-032303.html

Thanks for the link, couple neat cars in that thread.

And just for fun:

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Thanks for the link, couple neat cars in that thread.

And just for fun:

Thanks for posting. That was my very first Fiero car show and there was two other N* there. Maybe in the future I'll tweak #011 with a painted chrome plenum and valve cover. Right now the the vent/strut mounts are chrome.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-02-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2nd show in San Simion, CA.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PCH: #011 Devil's Slide

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curly you still adding the ferrari mirrors ?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Curly you still adding the ferrari mirrors ?

No. It's a normal chop top and nothing special to justify using Ferrari or any other mirror.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#011 needed some special attention. One of the CV boot was ripped and needed replacing. I've been waiting for a good day to drive the chopper since I didn't want dirt/water to get inside and screw up the bearings. Well, today was that day and the drive down was just perfect. I'm a bit new at using my GoPro so I decided to take it along.

The removal was easy, but since D1S uses a special CV boot finding the closest thing wasn't easy. We went through at least three units. I tried calling the company in OK for the correct CV boot, but the employee on the phone acted like he didn't understand English and I wasn't about to give him my credit card over the phone. No way Jose'

There's a big rip in one of the convolutions and I smelled the burning grease the last time I drove the chopper.

Pry here and a pry there and the axle was out and no leaks.

As I mentioned earlier that we went through three type of CV boot using the years that D1S uses, but none fit so with no other choice we had to call the dealership for a boot. The D1S uses a inner two convolution boot, but the closest we could find was a three convolution boot. I already looked at Napa and AutoZone (what they had was a joke) in town. I didn't want to take a chance at having my car worked on in town and then have to wait for the part to be delivered some 45-miles away. Either way, I have the part # to use should I need one in the future. This hunting down the correct boot took at least 3-4 hrs. The repair took less than a hour. It was after 18:00hrs before I was able to leave the shop. I did have the shop lube the car and found that Rynes suspension does have threaded holes for grease joints but were missing. LOL. I'll have to get the car aligned on Friday.

Good thing there was a 2001 N* on a cradle with axles. We look at the one I have and compared it with the one seen here in the pic and it was a perfect match (almost).

2001 N* axles;

Back together:

The roll out:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-27-2012).]

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curly, your loving that fisheye arent ya?

Hey FYI, not to be stupid or anything but your level picture could be misleading. You need to put a board from the wing all the way to the roof then put your level on it.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just occured to me that I can post on this thread. Mine isn't chopped yet, but that's not in the thread title. It ain't as pretty as Curlys either but it is a N* fastback. It used to belong to Fieroaddiction and it's running but not fully tuned yet.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

It just occured to me that I can post on this thread. Mine isn't chopped yet, but that's not in the thread title. It ain't as pretty as Curlys either but it is a N* fastback. It used to belong to Fieroaddiction and it's running but not fully tuned yet.

The title is a little decieving, but this is actually a build thread for Curly's car specifically.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, if I had read all the posts I could probably figured that out. Peace, out!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Hey FYI, not to be stupid or anything but your level picture could be misleading. You need to put a board from the wing all the way to the roof then put your level on it.

Sorry, but I didn't have a long enough board. I have make do with what I had.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Topic title changed.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Topic title changed.

Thanks Cliff. Initially, back in 2003 or so, we didn't have the exact order of all V8Archie choptops, but now we know. We still haven't gotten the number sequences for all "chop top home kits."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-28-2012).]

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, but I didn't have a long enough board. I have make do with what I had.

I got cha. I wasnt trying to be a turd or anything, its just that I have been doing a lot of fence building and using a level a lot lately. LOL
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Cliff. Initially, back in 2003 or so, we didn't have the exact order of all V8Archie choptops, but now we know. We still haven't gotten the number sequences for all "chop top home kits."

It would be interesting to know approximately how many home built chop tops are out there. I know of four that had ZERO documentation here (old timers not into the internet and one by someone and his brother who are hot rodders and not very good about documenting their work).

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

It would be interesting to know approximately how many home built chop tops are out there. I know of four that had ZERO documentation here (old timers not into the internet and one by someone and his brother who are hot rodders and not very good about documenting their work).

There seem to be a lot out there. We still don't have the exact # of home built choptops, but Jscott has a thread dedicated to the builds.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talked to Richard from West Shore Fabrication last week. A really, really, nice guy serving the Fiero community. #011 experienced a front hub failure 12-days ago while traveling. I called Dean (whodeanie) for the phone number since I haven't talked to the new owner. The number was the same so I called. Gary picked up and I asked for Richard. He wasn't there at the time, but a few minutes later he called back. We talked for a few minutes and figured out that it was my front hub, but I ordered brake pads too since it's been over a decade since I've had the original set-up from Ryan when he owned the business.

I think in 2003-4 my rear left side hub failed, so I ordered one from Lee. Lee too sent me my hub right away ASAP. The same is said of Richard. He came through like a good businessman. I got the hub and mounted that sucker on in 30 minutes flat! The package was professionally sent with no issues, no back orders, and no sass. I will be doing more business using West Shore Fabrications in the future. Richard has two hubs that I'm buying for another project. Oh yeah, the brake pads were okay. They have at least another 10k miles to go.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I guess it was about time one of the hubs finally gave out on me. I experienced a grinding, vibration sound while driving and a slight funny feel during turns. I originally purchase the set-up in 1999. This is the second hub that has failed, but it took nearly 13-yrs for the front to go out. The same side, but in the rear failed sometime in 2003-4 ( I forgot?). #011 has seen FL, IL, OK and many states in between and I'm surprised it took this long for it to fail. I did the typical 12 and 6 o'clock tug on the wheel and found it shifted a tad bit.

Gas prices here in CA

higher and higher!

Everything is fine now.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-15-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Also, the battery failed too. I got the battery on my way from FL in one of the states along the way. That was in 2003 or 04? It finally died on me.

Good thing I carried along in the car a battery booster. I connected it and got another AutoZone battery. The sales clerk said, "I haven't seen that type of battery in years!" $90 buck lighter I was out the door. The manager came out to see the chopper. He never saw one like it before and decided he wanted one. He wrote down V8Archie's number. I hope this is the last of things to go wrong. It's been a tough 12-days.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Testing Racing Hart wheels on #011. The tires are a tad bit small, but until they wear down I'll opt to getting 275 in the rear and 235 fronts. Right now 255 rears and 245 front.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those wheels would look so good on a standard wheel base F-40 replica! Have you ever considered putting an America Flag decal on the car?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Those wheels would look so good on a standard wheel base F-40 replica! Have you ever considered putting an America Flag decal on the car?

Yeah, but there wasn't enough room, hehehe.

I'll sport the PONTIAC. Most people know the origins of company and that the Fiero is an American car, but tyres are imported.
KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a picture of the red car in the corner? Is it a GT40 kit car? just the rear corner looks soooooooo gooooood would like to see the rest.
Kevin

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KVCFIERO:

Do you have a picture of the red car in the corner? Is it a GT40 kit car? just the rear corner looks soooooooo gooooood would like to see the rest.
Kevin

I belive that's Bob Rutz car. If so, the pics are here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000046-42.html

The pics were from the West Coast Fiero show in San Semion, CA taken in 2003 or so. There were two cars that looked similar, but I know Rob and lives here in CA.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-18-2012).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I belive that's Bob Rutz car. If so, the pics are here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000046-42.html

The pics were from the West Coast Fiero show in San Semion, CA taken in 2003 or so. There were two cars that looked similar, but I know Rob and lives here in CA.

That's not Bob's.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Good threads should never die."
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock