Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Mark II 90mm Low-profile buckets (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
Mark II 90mm Low-profile buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 11-12-2009 12:23 PM
Replies: 423
Last post by: Fiero1Fan on 07-05-2011 03:38 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
There was an issue at the coater with the nickel/chrome coating. It destroyed two buckets during the process...

They look fine, but there are too many areas for the process to pool up and prevent a solid coating from the second layer.

The shop already charged the setup fee, but they are moving back into a true zinc plating. While it is a different process, it won't affect the price, and the zinc plating will still provide a high level of protection. Paint adheres to it better than the nickel chrome....

Sorry for the last minute change... When I got the call and saw the two damaged buckets, an executive decision was made to change processes.

Edit: This will not delay the buckets at all. They are still on schedule at the coater.

Also, Hammer19 met up with me last night and bought a set.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 11-17-2009).]

IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis, could you take a picture with a measuring stick at the back side of the buckets?

Either from the bucket, or from the end of the headlights.
Preferably on both the low beam and the high beam side.
If you can also on the front side so I know how much clearance exists between the front of the bucket and the next object that would hit.

I'm trying to figure out how much clearance exists behind the end of the buckets and the car.
(I want to see if longer modules will fit)

Are ECE and DOT modules the same size?
Jay-ID

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-IDSend a Private Message to Jay-IDDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent!

Thank you both for making these buckets available.
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis, I have sent payment to your account.
I put for Fiero buckets and my name in the comments.
Please confirm you recieved it. THX
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Larry Nakamura you payment has been received.

For everyone who has paid. Check the first post in the thread and you'll see the **PAID** after your username.
If I have missed anyone please let me know.

F1F

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 11-19-2009).]

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Chris, did you get my message?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Chris, yes I did. I sent you a message back. I have the testing thread going in GFC right now.. Feel free to tune in.
seadog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seadogSend a Private Message to seadogDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent...
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested and will send payment. These can be powdercoated without problem. You just need to mask the critical areas. There is a special tape for that.
Caladin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaladinSend a Private Message to CaladinDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent...
cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I'm interested and will send payment. These can be powdercoated without problem. You just need to mask the critical areas. There is a special tape for that.

use the silicone hole plugs. they work good.

There is high temp tape also. Check Eastwood or Columbia coatings.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
bump to page 1
88V8GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88V8GTSend a Private Message to 88V8GTDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent on November 20. Synthesis, please check your PM's.

Thanks
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis has been deeply involved in the Tyler Project for the last few days.
I expect he will have the time to verify the last payments within the next couple of days.
As soon as I get the verification from him I will update the first post with the info.

Thank you for your patience.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Payment listing updated.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
I also have good news. The buckets are back from the coaters and are being packaged for shipment.
Those who have paid, your buckets will be going out by the first of next week.

FieroJonney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyDirect Link to This Post
Yay! Awesome news! Thanks F1F and Syn!
cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
payment sent, thanks guys.
Khaos88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Khaos88GTSend a Private Message to Khaos88GTDirect Link to This Post
What happened to that guy that was doing the pre-made harnesses for these? Where can you get the bulbs?
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis makes the harness (3 types) and i believe has a separate posting in the mall. The "bulbs" are Hella 90mm units and you can get them lots of places on the internet.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Here is a good place for the lights:

http://www.yellowandbluelig...tSearch=90+mm&List=0

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by Khaos88GT:

What happened to that guy that was doing the pre-made harnesses for these?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/046495.html
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Those who have paid, your buckets will be going out by the first of next week.

Sick.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Sick.

I hope you get to feeling better soon...
FieroJonney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyDirect Link to This Post
boomp
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

I powder coated my gen 1 buckets and as f1f stated you have to rasp or sand down the holes. It does mess with the tolerances of the bolts and adjusters just a little but enough to not be able to insert them properly. I chose the powder coating due greater longevity and chip resistance.

I was going to powder coat mine until my paint guy talked me out of it. We coated mine in truck bed liner. That stuff is tougher than any powdercoating made and with the etching primer he used for it it will never rust even if left on a ocean beach. I assembled mine when the powdercoat was still softish and it assembled perfectly. now 6 months later the stuff is hard as a rock and pretty much molded in place.

We used the standard truck bed coating stuff that is a two part epoxy type they spray at paint shops. Works fantastic and looks incredible. he made me some trim pieces that stick on with super magnets over the front so you dont even see the adjusters.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
how difficult is installation and wiring it to work correctly lol? very interested in a new headlight system, but it wouldnt be safe to go flushmount seeing as i live in Wisconsin and snow would constantly cover the headlights
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

how difficult is installation and wiring it to work correctly ? very interested in a new headlight system, but it wouldn't be safe to go flush-mount seeing as i live in Wisconsin and snow would constantly cover the headlights

The installation is as KISS as it can be. 6 screws and a tier1 wiring harness from Synthesis https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/046495.html .
You only need to remove the front lip of the OEM buckets and screw onto the front of these.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

how difficult is installation and wiring it to work correctly lol? very interested in a new headlight system, but it wouldnt be safe to go flushmount seeing as i live in Wisconsin and snow would constantly cover the headlights

The buckets are a straight bolt in upgrade.

The headlamps, Hella 90 MM Modules are DOT approved, and they clip into place using the adjuster clips.

Wiring is done by either making a harness that goes from your H4 connector to two H9 connectors, or by making a relay harness.

I make and sell all three, but am currently behind on orders. I know they are in high demand, and I am working to get supplies and labor caught up on them.

My harnesses are true "Plug and Play" with no vehicle modification needed. You simply mount two relays, run the harness, and connect to the positive battery post, or the power distribution block by the battery in the back.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
I am working on a group buy again...

I would need a minimum of 20 people to commit before I can order.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/048540.html

I will start a new thread.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Buckets started shipping yesterday for those who have paid.

If you have a harness on hold from me, I will get your buckets out soon with the harness.

I have one or two bucket sets for people who I do not have addresses for. If your Forum name was in the Paypal info, I will PM you.

The headlight group buy will run until January 30th. That should be plenty of time.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Synthesis, could you take a picture with a measuring stick at the back side of the buckets?

If you can also on the front side so I know how much clearance exists between the front of the bucket and the next object that would hit.

I'm trying to figure out how much clearance exists behind the end of the buckets and the car.

Are ECE and DOT modules the same size?

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Coupled with this post in thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071783.html:

Originally posted by MrBoernie:
Xenon modules can be installed in Fiero1Fan's buckets without any problems. They fit just like the H7 ones.
Here's a pic of my car with the Hella HID:

Originally posted by Amida:
Is this new info? The last thing I read on the thread was that the HID module was too deep for the buckets.

+1 MrBoernie, please tell us more. The main reason I haven't bought FIero1Fan's headlamps is because Xenon/HID's supposedly don't fit.

From the http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com website:

90mm LOW BEAM Headlamp Module

The Pros Know: Hella 90mm modules have been used on racing cars and specialty vehicles for years. Now this technology is available to consumers for custom applications.

Beam patterns/technology:

* Halogen Low beam

Dimensions:

5"H x 5-5/8"W x 3"D

Part No.

Description

90mm Low Beam DE Module, H9 bulb

(SAE compliant)

Also available:

Part No.

Description

H9 12V 65W replacement bulb
90mm Mounting Bracket

87193 Connector for H9 Bulb

90mm Xenon Headlamp Module

The Pros Know: Hella 90mm modules have been used on racing cars for years. Now this technology is available to consumers for custom applications.

Beam patterns/technology:

* Xenon low beam

Dimensions:

5"H x 5-5/8"W x 3"D

Part No.

Description

90mm Xenon Low Beam Module, D2S bulb
(SAE compliant)

Also available

Part No.

Description

Xenon D2S Bulb
Xenon Ballast Unit, 12v

Looking at this it seems that the HID module is only 19mm longer than the non-HID module. That's much less than 1", specifically 0.748 inches. From the pictures posted above it looks like there would be enough clearance for them to fit.
Synthesis, could you measure the space in front and behind the buckets when you get a chance to finally confirm, or refute the rumors that the HID's fit?

This might be the fastest way:

I'm getting very confused about it.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 12-02-2009).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The Hella HID modules physically fit the same bucket, but are longer. The length you are seeing in the drawing does NOT take into account the additional length off the back of the bulb... The bulb itself in the HID housing adds depth to the light, and this interferes with the headlight door.

The HIDs MrBoernie is discussing is an addon kit that uses a "direct fit" bulb replacement, rather than a true D2R or D2S style HID bulb. The direct fit bulbs fit the halogen housings without adding much in the way of depth.

The Hella HID housings require the D2S or D2R bulbs, which require a separate ignitor plug that sits on the back of the bulb adding another 1-2 inches in depth.

This is why HIDs are not an option using the Hella HID modules.

I can not condone using the direct fit (read Aftermarket) HID kits because they are not DOT legal like the D2S and D2R housings/bulbs are. They may fit the Halogen housings, but you lose your entire DOT approval and legality with the addon kits, such as MrBoernie and I are using. They will fit, and they won't add much in the way of depth, but again, are not legal.

If you want, read up on my testing of a non-legal for road use HID kit and draw your own conclusions. Sadly, as I said, I can not condone their use for the sole reason that HID lamps in a Halogen housing are not legal.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078461.html
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
how many bucket sets do you have left? I want them but I have to see how the money situation is going to play out over December., but i dont want left out of this run of them.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
We have a total of 46 sets... Out of that, approximately 40 are spoken for.
Out of that, approximately 20 have actually been sold..
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

how many bucket sets do you have left? I want them but I have to see how the money situation is going to play out over December., but i dont want left out of this run of them.

We still have several sets. You have been put on the list in the first post.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Although several have expressed interest in the buckets it is a first come (pay) first serve issue.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 12-02-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The Hella HID modules physically fit the same bucket, but are longer. The length you are seeing in the drawing does NOT take into account the additional length off the back of the bulb... The bulb itself in the HID housing adds depth to the light, and this interferes with the headlight door.

The HIDs MrBoernie is discussing is an addon kit that uses a "direct fit" bulb replacement, rather than a true D2R or D2S style HID bulb. The direct fit bulbs fit the halogen housings without adding much in the way of depth.

The Hella HID housings require the D2S or D2R bulbs, which require a separate ignitor plug that sits on the back of the bulb adding another 1-2 inches in depth.

This is why HIDs are not an option using the Hella HID modules.

I can not condone using the direct fit (read Aftermarket) HID kits because they are not DOT legal like the D2S and D2R housings/bulbs are. They may fit the Halogen housings, but you lose your entire DOT approval and legality with the addon kits, such as MrBoernie and I are using. They will fit, and they won't add much in the way of depth, but again, are not legal.

If you want, read up on my testing of a non-legal for road use HID kit and draw your own conclusions. Sadly, as I said, I can not condone their use for the sole reason that HID lamps in a Halogen housing are not legal.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078461.html

Thanks. This explains it a bit.

Could you go into what you mean about additional length at the back of the bulb? I though that was only 19mm of additional length at the back of the bulb.

Does it interfere when the light is up, or when it is retracted?

I very much advise AGAINST using "retrofit" kits as well, or any kind of eBay kids. Non compliant lights are dangerous, and leave a glare.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The lamp housing itself is a certain length. The bulb, when installed adds more depth to it, as it sticks out half an inch, or a little more on the H9 US versions of the Hella lamps.
The H7 Euro versions also add depth because of the electrical connector.

The HID version of the lamp assemblies are longer to begin with, then when the bulb is installed, there is an additional 3/4" of an inch of bulb sticking straight out the back, with another 1-2 inches of ignitor plug. Which this means is that you are adding almost three inches of depth to the back of the light when using the Hella HID kits.

As for the aftermarket "eBay" kits... When installed in the Hella Halogen LOW BEAM housing, you don't get the glare. Because the lamp housing is a projector with a cutoff shield, you still get the cutoff without the dangerous glare. They just aren't DOT legal.
The light pattern isn't as smooth across as a true HID light, but it is acceptable to some people.

The Hella HID modules won't fit without work.
I know of one person who did get them to fit, and only by mounting the low beam light as far forward in the bucket as he could, and modifying both the plug, and the bottom of the headlight door.. Not acceptable, as that plug has 30,000 volts pumped through it for ignition.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock