Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  88 gt 3800SC with ZZP intercooler swap (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
88 gt 3800SC with ZZP intercooler swap by RULOOKIN
Started on: 02-07-2010 10:21 AM
Replies: 456
Last post by: OHNIKO on 12-11-2012 10:08 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Nice job! Dean is working on my 3800 as well.
IP: Logged
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Looks like my harness is done, I will be looming it myself with good quality loom ,so i can try to hide most of the wires the best i can !
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
had my car appraised this week so i could get collecter car insurance, here are some nice interior pics the appraiser took,

will be getting some time to work on the build march 14th week i am crossing my fingers that i can drop the 2.8 and get this 3800 in, will still need work but can be done at home
BradWirdo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradWirdoSend a Private Message to BradWirdoDirect Link to This Post
Good lookin car, is anyone allowed to eat a cheeseburger in it? I wouldnt even let people chew gum in that car! haha
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
today installed new 5 speed spec 3 clutch, rodney dickman 282 FWD slave addapter and new slave and a bit of modding to the WCF Headers to clear the ARP head studs, next week i have a few days to get a bit more work done
[img]http://
images.fieroforum.com/2011/mot_026.jpg[/img]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Make sure that pressure plate isn't hitting the inside of the transmission. I have found that that style pp rubs on the getrag 5 speed.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 03-12-2011).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
hey Justin i looked at both clutches side by side 4 speed and the new 5 speed look the same ??? but according to Jeremy at spec the SC883 is the correct one for my getrag i followed proper install cleaned flywheel and PP with break clean not even a finger touched the clutch pucks so if i have any issues with this i will be in contact with Jeremy
Plus it was a major PITA to change ,
I am crossing my fingers it will not hit as i was told it will not we will have to see
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
When I went from a 4 speed to the 5 speed, the pp hit in the 5pd but not the 4spd. It didn't cause any failure at that point but it was hitting the inside of the trans. It was that same pp. You will save yourself a TON of headache if you put some clay or putty on the high spot in the trans and then turn the engine over a few times. Split them and see how much room you have. They aren't going to cover a new transmission or the labor/time to take it down and put it back together. If your flywheel is only .800" then you might be ok. I'm just trying to save some people the hassle I had to go through. I didn't notice anything until my transmission failed 2,000 miles later. Opened it up and this is what I found. This was a stage 5 kit that they sent me for the getrag 5pd.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 03-13-2011).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
My flywheel is a camero one machined down and was checked for proper thickness, i may turn the motor over and see if any blue paint is comming off but man its a PITA to remove the trani again and again but after seeing your i will do some checks next week to be sure .
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
After doing some extensive reading and a quick answer from bmwguro it looks like i will be doing some clearance checks with this new clutch real PITA as Justin has posted and bmwgoro has said in some cases the PP will come in contact with the inside of the trani bellhousing, So i think i will try to turn the motor over a few times by hand then remove the trani again and see if it has scraped the blue paint anywhere ????
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Got to the shop today and first thing was to check this clutch situation,pulled the plugs and got a breaker bar and socket turned the motor over many times things seem to be ok there was nothing hitting inside the trani, so as posted above and i have been told in some cases the getrag does rub the PP a bit and in Justins case may have caused trani failure, I am so glad to know things are Ok, and while i was checking things out Jeremy from spec called me to see if it was Ok !!
So on we go with the build .....
got the headers and Y pipe finaly all bolted up, was going to ceramic coat them but kind of like the SS look,

Worked on modifying the AC bracket to use stock 88 AC compresor, basicly removed the mount from engine, removed the bolts and studs from the mount, re drilled the holes to 1/2 inch,
also removed the ac pully and clutch from 3800 ac cleaned it up a bit with wire wheel this will now go on 88 compresor

PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to a member Peter (camalot) i will soon have a 88 ATL and AC compressor to finish off my moc up of everything,get belts in place wireing and vacume lines,
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Since you are running the internal release arm getrag, you should be able to pull the slave and look at the back side of the pressure plate for any scratches.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
wow that was fast !! Thanks so much Peter i owe you big time,
Got the 88 ATL and 88 AC compresor today my plan is to have the ATL rebuilt with 140amp and 3800 ATL pully installed, as for the ac pump i will be useing it for moc up with these parts i will be able to get belts on
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
so where did you send the ALT to for rebuilding??
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
sent the ATL to dundas ALT its going to have a 130amps when done with chrome fan and chrome pully 6 rib $100
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Got the ATL today was rebuilt with 130amps chrome fan and 6 rib pully for $100 no core charge cant beat that so i am haveing them reman a stater for the 3800

GuitarFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GuitarFieroClick Here to visit GuitarFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to GuitarFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

Duane, lets see if you remember which this one is in????

Huh, I guess I'm not the only one who spent the time to polish the supercharger. They always look nice, but it is a *bleep* getting it there.

------------------
"GuitarFiero" on YouTube
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

Fastest 1/8th mile: 7.392 sec/94 MPH/1.582 sec 60'

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I was tinking about it when i started the build pollished charger and valve covers but i know how long it takes to polish things, i personaly helped with the finishing of the motor above and trust me the guy spent a long time on it, and the custom exhaust he has all stainless is out of this world, he used a laser machine to weld the exhaust so it looks like one continues peice no weld bumps, you cant even see the joints anywhere .
I am happy with the way the paint looks i took my time with it but if i had the time pollished for sure !
GuitarFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GuitarFieroClick Here to visit GuitarFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to GuitarFieroDirect Link to This Post
I hand polished mine, lots of sanding to get the rough cast off and then I was occupied by our 10 inch buffing wheel for the rest of the day. We also milled out the little "nub" the holds the "Supercharged" cover on there. Of course we decided to do this after I had just finished polishing it, though one spot didn't take to long. Though I will say that painting it looks nice, it holds heat. Powder coating would be even worse.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
got the rebuilt 3800 stater today ,my motor came with one but i put it on my 2.8 for now for all thoes who need a new stater, up grade to a 3800 high tork stater on a 2.8 or 3.4 you will see a major improvement in start up and its a direct swap in place of the crappy 2.8 stater, i used these 3800 staters on both my 3.4 car and my current 88 2.8 best $100 bucks i ever spent never had a issue since .

T
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Well i have been waiting for this day for a long time Rob and i went to town on the car today and with his help we got alot done !
I did some of the wireing looming it up and hideing wires ..

yes the injector wires are on !!
the rob (rourk_87_T top) showed up with some goodies

he brought another 88 cradle to help the swap process go smoother, we will put the bare cradle in the car so we can move the car off the hoist
Then we got started on the drop !! YES finaly !!

and the oH so famous shot !!

stay tuned things will be moving along very fast the next few weeks
Again Thanks Rob for your help

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 05-01-2011).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
back at it again today finnished off looming and conecting the harness nice and clean most things are hidden, installed suspension axles new polly worked a bit on cleaning the engine bay looks like i will be removing the cruise control and later i will have electronic cruise put in but looks way cleaner with it out, one of my adjustment links needs to be replace so looking around for one but things are moving in the right direction need to do plug wires tomorow anyone have the fireing order for a 3800 and coil pack order !

i may be doing a test fit next weekend !!
I know i have to cut the trunk hindges and knotch out my trunk lid so i would like to get that done as well OH and install the ZZp intercooler with EMP pump
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe how clean that car is.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i will drive to ontario and look you up to beat you for putting a fram filter on that engine...fram is the worst POS filter you can buy..please take it off and get an AC delco one..i just took a preventative maintenance course on filters and oil and that filter is a shame for being allowed on the market!! plus be very aware of the oil your running i would strongly suggest either amsoil or royal purple..tim
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

I can't believe how clean that car is.

hey Rob thanks again for your help the other day , by the way everything is swaped maybe next week i am going to do a test fit !!
Its nice working on a car with no rust hey !!
by the way any chance you have a 88 adjustable toe link i nee one,
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
hey it's lookin good & coming along, good stuff Duane!
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Looking great! Going to be at Carlisle again this year? Can't wait to see it if you will be!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Rulookin did you pick out your new wheels yet ?
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

Looking great! Going to be at Carlisle again this year? Can't wait to see it if you will be!

I am trying to get it done and all the kinks worked out by then i hope my girlfriend and i had a blast last year best show i have ever been too !!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010

Originally posted by exoticse:

Rulookin did you pick out your new wheels yet ?

Well i will be just getting rears the same rim but 18 by 9.5, i am haveing wodenie make me coil overs so i hope they will fit, 285 rear tire OH YA !!
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
Spent a few hours today at the place i am renting to do the swap, its very close to my home and i can go any time i want i have a key and its like a fast and the furious shop all driffting cars and hondas its private and no business is done, there only guys pay by the month to have a big spot to work there is everything you can imagine you would need welders, hoist, bead blaster,ect. and the rent aint that bad..

got to more cleaning of engine bay and ruffed in the coolant lines, also modified the trunk lid hindges so they will clear the SC, i will be deleating the cruies for now and maybe down the road get a newer electric cruise installed, just looks so much cleaner with it out of the way

on my way to the shop this pulled up beside me DAM !! i wish i had my car LOL

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 05-02-2011).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
OH ya rain day off work so back to the shop for a full day, got AC pump mocked up on 3800 mount with a few washers it lined up with the crank pully belts were test fited but i need longer ones, MSD wires done and engine bay all cleaned up car is so clean i only painted the tops of the strut towers and sprayed the firewall insulation nice and black,heater core line is plumed rad line ruffed in, vacume lines are in, not much mor to do but i have been dubble and tripple checking everything making sure there will be no issues i am hopeing, If all goes well the motor is going in the car this weekend !!

going to be busy at work for the rest of the week so it look like saturday i will be back at it !!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

I am trying to get it done and all the kinks worked out by then i hope my girlfriend and i had a blast last year best show i have ever been too !!

Maybe one of these days we can lure some of you awesome canadian guys down to Daytona.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Maybe one of these days we can lure some of you awesome canadian guys down to Daytona.

i want to go to Daytona but i think i will trailer the car for that trip !! I drove to Chicago for Fierorama and that was 11 hours my back was killing me ..
You guys should come up to the GM Nationals its a great show

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 05-04-2011).]

OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
went to Daytona last year, couldn't make it this year; it was fantastic & I enjoyed the drive...esp through the Virginias!!!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Tomorw will be finishing up loose ends fuel ines and welding custom mount possibly on sunday its going in for a test fit !!!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
got mount welded today, and made a trip to Robs house to get some things, Wow he has parts galore so i bought a brand new Darel More strut brace brand new with all brackets thanks Rob, I had to twist his arn to sell it !!

Now if all goes as planed i will be putting the motor in tomorow hey Joe i need a hand !!!! 2 hands LOL...........
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
wish i was free tomorrow , i'd come give ya 2 more hands, but it's Mother's Day & I owe her some flowers at least!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OHNIKO:

wish i was free tomorrow , i'd come give ya 2 more hands, but it's Mother's Day & I owe her some flowers at least!

Hey Nick !! can you belive i am almost finished with this project !! next will be a V8 corvette conversion but have to find a nice clean 88 gt t top in white !anyone got one out there.........
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock