Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43722 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry everyone. Just returned from my trip last night. Of course I have the extensive "honey do" list. What I did was clean the original carpet today. Once it dries I'm going to try the dye treatment again. I don't like the way the replacement carpet fit so I'll be putting the original back in if this works. I got the stereo wiring done before I left so once I get the carpet and my new vinyl covered board back in I'll be able to get the new Kicker amps installed. Hoping to knock a good bit of that out tomorrow after work. If all goes well I'll be riding Saturday evening. Wish me luck.
IP: Logged
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump...need an update....must...see...what...car...looks...like.............today.........please............................
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still waiting for another update please...
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I haven't been able to do any postings lately. I was able to get all the panels back in the car over the weekend. Got the new amps wired in and they sound great. Yesterday I decided instead of having the amps loosely mounted on the carpet I would mount them to 1/4 MDF board. Here's how it came out.

The only problem I'm having right now is the Corbeau seat brackets and the sheetmetal I used to attach the brackets to the seats. First...I should have test fit the brackets because that's 2 hours I could have used better. The brackets didn't line up with the bolts in the floorboard so I put the original seats back in until yesterday. I also went with a full cap instead of the 1/2 cap I was using with the Fosgate amps. I also decided to give the Corbeau brackets one more try. This time I used my drimmel and made some modifications to the front bracket holes. Now they fit the way they should. Now the final issue I'm having is getting the sheetmetal holes where they need to be. Of course an earthquake yesterday and an impending hurricane make getting this resolved soon unlikely, but I'll work on it in my basement. I was able to fabricate and install anchor points for my 4 point harnesses. I used 1/2" carriage bolts up top and my harnesses came with snap in eyelet bolts for the lap belt. These actually fit perfectly into the factory holes without modification. I hope to have the seat issue resolved, but my backup plan is to modify the sheetmetal to work with the factory rails. I've already modified the pieces for one seat, but I want to see if I can make the Corbeau brackets work first since they seem more sturdy. I did take it for a spin Monday night and it was SWEET!!! More to follow.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 08-24-2011).]

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gotta hear about the reactions you got when you took her out !
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did have someone as me if it was a Lambo...lol. I did finally get the sheetmetal holes right for the racing seats and Corbeau brackets and got them bolted together. The rails on both seats appears to be working properly, but the true test will be in the car. Hopefully all will go well tomorrow and I'll have the new seats in. I did test fit the brackets after my mods so they actually fit properly over the fl;oor bolts. One way or another I need to move my car before the hurricane gets here. I have a 30' tree next to my driveway and if the winds are high enough...it would fall thru my house...my neighbor's house...or worse...my car!

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 08-25-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok everyone...after much remeasuring, cutting, grinding, assembling, fitting, only to start over again because the measurements were "off"....the leather racing seats are finally installed.

I will say this was the most labor intensive part of the interior upgrade. A word of caution to any of you considering the Corbeau seat brackets...make sure you test fit them first and have a dremmel ready to do some mods to make them fit properly. I just went for a ride in it. Responds great. Corners nicely. I will need to go back to the tire shop and have the balance confirmed. Seems to be a recurring thing with the particular tires I have. I have the same issue with my other car that has the same tires. Takes about three times getting them balanced before they're right.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I've done so far. Been driving my car every day this week since the weather has been so nice. I had to go back to the tire shop last Sunday...got the tires re-balanced...and got pictures with my "pit crew" (Danny, Chris, and John).

I've gotten very positive comments from everyone I've come in contact with. I stopped at McD's a few days ago for lunch and while I was inside several guys were gathered around my car. By the time I came outside they had gone inside. Before I could leave the parking lot one came literally running out to ask me about the car. Later that day on the way home there was a guy in a high end Beemer that slowed down to check out my car...looked my car over...gave me the "NICE" nod of approval and a big

Tomorrow I head to Dave's for a new fuel sending unit, pictures, and planning for future upgrades (i.e. tubular suspension upgrade from Westshore Fabricators (formerly Held Motorsports), stage 3 heads from ZZP, upgrade to GEN5 blower (possibly a twin charge)...that's the short list for the winter). For the most part everyone that's asked how long it took to get my car this way have been very surprized that it all came together this year. Looking forward to making the first "road trip" in it I'll take pictures and video and post them tomorrow night. Archie, gotta work out a time when I can meet up with you for pictures as well.

I've got a few more minor things to do, but nothing that's going to keep me from driving the car and enjoying it. Feels like I'm driving a new car. I've only have 750 miles on it....really...that's what my odometer says! Considering everything that's been done it's darn near a new car.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I went to see Dave and crew so he could change out my fuel sending unit. I should have taken pictures of the old one he pulled out. Sure didn't look like that before it went down to Loyde's...oh I get it...it sat as one of his yard fixtures for 3 1/2 years before I rescued my car from him. Pretty certain the same gas I put in it back in July 2007 was still in the tank. Anyway, here's a picture of Dave securing the wiring harness for the fuel pump.

No way I could have attempted that without being suspended in air! While I was there we got additional video of Joey's car and Dave's orange car as well as more pictures of Joey's car. I'm working on shortening the videos so I can post them.

Of course it wouldn't be complete without the "Joey" pose!!!

While I was there I met Brian who is also having his Fiero done by Dave. He followed Joey and I in his car while we were doing new video of her car. The look on his face when we got back says it all.

Anyway, my trip up had some interesting events...I got to humble a S63 Mercedes Benz. On the way back I gave a reality check to a C6 Corvette. Looking forward to the upgrades Dave has in mind for me. Until then...I'm going to enjoy driving my car!

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello to all who have been following this project. Over the last few days I've had some minor touch ups done on the paint.

and the end result....

Last Friday night I installed clear turn lenses with amber LEDs. Didn't take the picture until Saturday morning.

This evening when I got home I installed my new Lloyd Mats.

This weekend I'll be working on installing my Kicker 6" component speakers.

A few nights ago I totally OWNED a 370Z. He didn't realize I had more going to my wheels than he had at the crank!
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like your rims! are they MSR ones? I don't know much about rims, but I saw some that looked very similar. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get them for? Before they were widened that is

And beautiful car!!!! Want to trade?

[This message has been edited by Big Paul (edited 09-16-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are the TSW Indy 500 wheels. The wheels on my car now are the second set I purchased while the car was at Archie's getting the widebody kit. The 1st set is boxed up in my shed. 17x8 in 5x100 bolt pattern. I don't even believe I have 300 miles on them. New...the set was $800.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Not sure what happened but the message posted twice. Anyway, I got my additional stereo stuff in today so I'll be working on that this weekend.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 09-16-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nudge, nudge,..hehehe

Hey Charlie,..chew on this !

(chop courtesy 85senotchie)

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 09-19-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Nudge, nudge,..hehehe

Hey Charlie,..chew on this !

(chop courtesy 85senotchie)

The only way I would fit in that would be if I was Ryan's size. I considered a chop top....until I tried to sit in one.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting ready for a show in Lancaster in a few weeks....finally going to one!!!!! Anyway, here's what I did today. I installed new Kicker KS6.2 component speakers.

I tried running these along with the 4x10s, but the sound quality is so much better with these alone supplemented by the 4" Earthquake VTEK speakers I have in the rear replacing the 4x6s. What I'll do is cover the 4x10 speaker covers with vinyl and blend them into the dash.

While I was driving around today I saw this...

Wonder if this owner is running a stock setup???
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I went to the Mid-Atlantic Fiero Owner's Association Fall Show and it was eventful. First Fiero show...for my car and me. Had my oldest daughter with me. Took some pictures on the way up.

This one on eastbound 30 east of York felt like riding in a half tube...

Glad I didn't find a "car swallowing" crack or pothole...

My daughter was very helpful when we got there and got right to work detailing the car. She really liked Joey's car (big surprize there) and Sabooo's...taking plenty of pictures on her cell phone.

Saw lots of interesting Fieros both stock and modified. There were 7 cars in my category (Custom/Modified Fastback)....and for our very first show here's how we did...

1st Place in Modified Fastback

Unfortunately, my phone was dead after the trophies were handed out so I wasn't able to get the picture at the event. I parked to Dave's right (he took 1st Place in Modified Notchback). My dead phone kept me from getting a picture with Dave and both trophies next to our cars

I received a lot of positive feedback regarding the work Dave did (another reason I parked next to him), for Archie's widebody kit and his work installing it (thanks again Archie and crew), and to my paintshop for making it all complete. Of course I've not disclosed publicly who did my paint job and it's only fitting now that my paintshop crew receive recognition as well.

Yes....Maaco. It is possible to find a quality Maaco shop. They're independently owned and back in April when I was looking for a paint shop...this shop in Fairfax, VA impressed me with the quality of their work and willingness to go the extra mile.

Anyway, I enjoyed today's event and look forward to attending more in the near future.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love what you did with your car! I just noticed that you live in Alexandria, I work in old town. I would love to see your car one of these days. :]
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I saw this car in person at the show, and it is an absolute killer. From the clean 3800SC install that Dave did, to the custom interior, to the paint and widebody kit, this car was spectacular and it was an honor to see it in person, as well as meet Charlie. Congrats, man.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JesseM:

I love what you did with your car! I just noticed that you live in Alexandria, I work in old town. I would love to see your car one of these days. :]

Gladly. I'm sure we can work something out. Today I'm replacing the Jensen CM7015 unit and replacing it with a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT. The only drawback is the Pioneer doesn't have a remote, but I have built in GPS and BT. I was going to go Sony, but read some adverse reviews.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok...I think I'm finally finished with the interior. Got the Pioneer and XM installed. Took some doing to make the double DIN fit, but here's the end result.

Also finally got around to installing the LED dome lights. I ordered the LED courtesy lights, but that may be overkill considering how bright just two of the LED dome lights are.

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie and I have been talking about the winter mods. We will be updating this thread in the next month or so with some new eye candy and go-fast goodies.

Dave
lamborghinikid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lamborghinikidSend a Private Message to lamborghinikidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can we get the info on the wheels you used they are nice also did you use spacers in the rear?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More pics, more stories, more, more, more !

Can you tell i like your car ??
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie's car is coming back to the Haus on the 17th of Feb for more cool "go fast" mods and some underhood detail.

Dave
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Charlie's car is coming back to the Haus on the 17th of Feb for more cool "go fast" mods and some underhood detail.

Dave

Can you or someone find him a clean looking defrost switch? That's gotta stick out like a sore thumb in that black, svelte interior.

Awesome car Charlie, can't wait to see what Dave has in store for you widebody!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lamborghinikid:

can we get the info on the wheels you used they are nice also did you use spacers in the rear?

Sorry it took so long to reply. The wheels are the TSW Indy 500s. They were originally 17x8, but I had the fronts widened to 17x9 and the rears to 17x10. I used 32mm spacers up front and 50mm spacers on the rear. The front tires are 255/40/17s. The rears are 285/40/17s. After Dave does his upgrades I'm probably going to upgrade to 255/35/19s up front and 305/30/19s on the rear.

Sorry no new pictures right now. Haven't driven it since November. I do start it on weekends just to hear it run As far as the defrost switch...I have an idea I'm going to try out.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 01-29-2012).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Sorry it took so long to reply. The wheels are the TSW Indy 500s. They were originally 17x8, but I had the fronts widened to 17x9 and the rears to 17x10. I used 32mm spacers up front and 50mm spacers on the rear. The front tires are 255/40/17s. The rears are 285/40/17s. After Dave does his upgrades I'm probably going to upgrade to 255/35/19s up front and 305/30/19s on the rear.

Sorry no new pictures right now. Haven't driven it since November. I do start it on weekends just to hear it run As far as the defrost switch...I have an idea I'm going to try out.

Try Mr clean Magic eraser on the interior....it works wonders.

Not to stick my foot in my mouth on this one, but I expect to see more than 400whp on Charlie's car after the upgrades....it will still be supercharged.

Dave

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:
...compared to these...

I'm still digging those Wilwoods. Anything to report compared to the other ones? And why did you have to come back to the shop for wheel balancing? Something wrong?

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i thought you guys moved shop to kentucky?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sale of my shop fell through, so we got stuck in Joisey.

We still want to pack up and go, but it will probably be a few more years before either I can sell the shop or be able to pack it all up and convince Southern Kentuckians that German cars are better than American trucks.

Charlie and I spoke the other day and we are still on track for his car being dropped off on the 17th.

Madcurl, I'm not ignoring your post, I just don't have the answer for you. I can say that that brake setup is definitely the nicest set of brakes I have ever driven on (except for a Porsche 997), but the pedal feel is pretty amazing. The adjustable proportioning valve once dialed in makes it even better.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I'm still digging those Wilwoods. Anything to report compared to the other ones? And why did you have to come back to the shop for wheel balancing? Something wrong?

Had the larger tires installed after Dave finished his final check on the car when it came back from Archie. The shop I went to were the only guys I would trust. In the end we were able to determine the rear wheel bearings were bad. Dave's going to take care of that and do some "go even faster" mods. The brakes are so choice. I highly recommend them.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the car to Dave. Looking forward to the mods he has in mind.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and so we start the next chapter in this saga.......

This year's mods are pretty simple. About a week's worth of build time and then tuning, dyno and Charlie will pick it up.

We started with installing Held Motorsport's front suspension kit. This required cutting off the original spring perch and welding it back to the chassis. This allows clearance for the coil over shock. Here are a few pics. Sorry about the poor quality....my camera was acting up at the time....

The next part of the build will be to drop out the drivetrain and POR 15 the engine bay and cradle. While that is out, we will be upgrading the cylinder heads (ZZP stage 3), full size intercooler, Gen V, blower, 77mm N* throttle body, powdercoated aluminum valve covers, upgraded fuel pump, RD upgraded transmission brackets and his ultimate shift kit, and making the engine bay show quality so Charlie can take some 1st place trophies in addition to making the car hit Charlie's desired whp.

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Not to stick my foot in my mouth on this one, but I expect to see more than 400whp on Charlie's car after the upgrades....it will still be supercharged.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good. I have an 88, and I have been looking into the HT motorsports Tubular UCA/LCA set up. Looking forward to seeing how you like this. What brake setup is that? HT has a wilwood set up, is that where you got it?

Thanks

rob
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

looks good. I have an 88, and I have been looking into the HT motorsports Tubular UCA/LCA set up. Looking forward to seeing how you like this. What brake setup is that? HT has a wilwood set up, is that where you got it?

Thanks

rob

Yes it is. I opted for the six piston setup over the four piston he offers. Unmatched stopping power.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a little before shot of the engine.....the body shop got a little dust and overspray baked in.

I really want to see this car take home a shelf of 1st place trophies this year, so we started off with removing the entire drivetrain to POR15 the engine bay and cradle.
The zzp stage 3 heads have arrived....

The red valve covers and yellow body were kind of clashing, so I powdercoated the zzp aluminum covers with a matching Corvette yellow to match the paint on the car.

We upgraded to a gen 5 blower, 77mm throttle body, (it has the XP hot cam), full size intercooler and everything that looked out of place, will be getting refreshing. We also upgraded the transmission and engine mount brackets to Rodney's thicker ones. We have bent the stock ones with the torque produced from a similiar setup.

More to come......

RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious on what type of MAF sensor you are going to use. I have a 4" throttle body for my gen-5 blower and is the deck lid going to close with that intercooler on there? It looks really high.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love it.
It seems every time I put a Fiero swap on the lift, our German car business triples. Ryan and I have been going crazy fixing BMW's, Porsche's and MINI's these past two weeks. Charlie's car finally started up today with the new heads, Gen V blower and I fabricated a completely new intercooler setup that I think is the best setup I have done on a 3800. I vacuum filled the reservoir, turned on the key and 30 seconds later, the entire system was bled out. We also changed the intercooler coolant from the VW G12 to BMW blue antifreeze. I found the BMW seemed a little better (personal reasons). I like using a different color coolant in the intercooler so that if a leak develops, it can easily be determined as to whether it is from the intercooler or the cooling system.
Here are some installed pics taken late today.

We wound up also changing a lot of the wiring harness loom that had some overspray on it, and chemical cleaning the parts that needed some touch up. The yellow that we powdercoated matches almost perfectly to the exterior paint.

We had to use the ZZP gen V turndown to clear the decklid on the driver's side. Otherwise, the decklid strut wouldn't be able to be used anymore. I used the LQ4 MAF sensor on this setup. The passenger side had to have the decklid notched slightly, but it is very clean.

I hope to be able to start tuning the car tomorrow or Thursday and then get the WOT tuning done this weekend with the wideband.
If all goes well, we will have some impressive dyno numbers to post up within the next week or two.

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-13-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered my new wheels today...Forgeline SP3P in brushed finish with polished lip. 19x9s up front and 19x11s on the rear. I expect delivery in Mid April. Ordering the tires soon as well.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock