Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43743 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2012 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awaiting good pics of the morbidly fat wheels mounted on the car.
IP: Logged
Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better photos uploaded. Got the car home today. I definitely enjoyed the ride. Unfortunately the replacement tire did not come in today so I'll definitely be following up with NTB tomorrow. For now I'm just happy to have the car home.
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously?
No pics yet?
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got to see one with the new rims a few hours ago.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After spending several hours waiting for the replacement tire to arrive at NTB...the tire arrived at 3:30. I took it and made it to Curry's Auto Service in about 6 minutes. From there Tim Hoover, the General Manager at that location (616 South Pickett Street, Alexandria, VA) and crew went to work. With the use of the Auto34 tire changer it took less than 5 minutes. Here Alejandro Espinoza starts the mounting process.

Alejandro and Tim get the tire into proper position

Off to balancing...

Here is where Patrick Bowe took over to mount the wheels. Since the car is so low we had to put it on the Hunter Alignment Rack.
Then it was off with the old...

and on with the new

We did discover the lug nuts I used with the TSW wheels would not work with the Forgeline wheels. This required a quick trip to Advance Auto Parts around the corner. When Tim learned of the situation he handed me his keys and let me go get the lug nuts we needed. When I got to Advance Auto Parts, Clifton sold me the last set of M12x1.50 tuner lug nuts he had and they worked perfectly. Additionally they gave the wheels a much better appearance than the hex nuts.

Doesn't the 285 look tiny compared to the 325???

"PUNY TIRE!"

And then there was one!!!

REPLACED!!!

And the calculations were acceptable regarding the offsets

And then to the alignment completed by David Levin...

A very special thank you to Tim, Alejandro, Patrick, and David at the Alexandria, VA Curry's Auto Service for being able to complete this task without issue. Their equipment is definitely top end and for my fellow Fiero owners here in Northern VA...they'll take care of you. They were all very impressed with the work Dave did. I promised Tim I'd let him take my car for a spin on a dry day. When they finished the alignment it was a torrential downpour

Now that the car has settled I'll need to raise the front about an inch. The rear tires fit very nicely now. I'll be working on that tomorrow morning ...weather dependent of course. Next week's task...back to the paint shop to have the chips in the front removed and some touch up.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 10-22-2012).]

bry2an

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bry2anSend a Private Message to bry2anEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size are those rims? Very very good job. Fit perfect !!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweeeeet !

More pics off the rack ! oooops, sorry was so excited i missed the part about the downpour.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-19-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bry2an:

What size are those rims? Very very good job. Fit perfect !!

19x9 up front with an offset of 22.86...19x11.5 on the rear with an offset of 6.35
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Auto34 tire changer it took less than 5 minutes. A very special thank you to Tim and crew at Curry's Auto Service for being able to complete this task without issue. Their equipment is definitely top end and for my fellow Fiero owners here in Northern VA...they'll take care of you.

Top notch equipment there, especially the alignment where it doesn't touch the rim (less chance of poking it like the old style).
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Hey Charlie64, did you take any pics of the backside while the car was on the lift? I'd like to see how close the inner barrel was to the coil-over. Thanks.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Curly. I didn't get any pictures under the rack. I did see plenty of clearance from where Dave removed the stock strut perch. I could have safely gone up to 19 or 20x12 with 345s. If the weather here is not user friendly tomorrow morning I might just have to go back to Curry's and see if they'll put it on the rack to adjust the front shocks.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 10-19-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie64 you have a PM.
bry2an

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bry2anSend a Private Message to bry2anEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dear Santa, Please look at this car in the above pics. Could you please bring me one of these. I'll ask for nothing else and I'll be a good boy for the ummm 2 years.

I love it
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn! I wanna drive it now that there are some sticky tires in the back....breaking traction in 4th gear was getting a little scary.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 10-20-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Doesn't the 285 look tiny compared to the 325???"

That is a great comparison picture! Those look great on there.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's how today went. Got up early this morning...decided to wipe the car down and saw how much the suspension resettled with the new wheels and tires. The rear tires were both at about 1.5" of clearance from the fender. The front right was at about .75" while the left front was a bit lower...between .25 and .5 of clearance from the fender. I learned while driving the car today this was causing the tire to rub on the fender anytime I hit a bump, made a turn, or came to a sudden halt.

Fortunately there was no damage to the fender or tire. I spoke to Dave earlier this morning after seeing the car in daylight and he explained how to make the adjustment. I thought I would have the shop do it since I didn't really want to roll the vehicle onto lawn concrete squares to get my floor jack under the car, but that didn't work out. Too many errands and besides I was enjoying driving the car on this beautiful day here...just doing it with extra caution. First I didn't have the spanner wrench for my HAL QA1 coilover shocks

so with Dave's guidance I was able to come up with an effective alternate tool from Sears

After bringing my youngest daughter (who was more excited about the car being home again than I was) to all of her Saturday activities we were finally home so I decided to get the jack, jack stands, and concrete square out. Dave told me how easy the task was and he was right. Glad he doesn't charge for phone support I was able to adjust both sides to about 1.4" of fender clearance.

Once I figured out how to do it the adjustments were pretty easy and quick. After driving the car this evening the right side is holding steady at about 1.4" of clearance. The left side has come down slightly, but the tire is no longer rubbing the fender on bumps, turns, or sudden stops. I'll adjust it again tomorrow and monitor it. I was also able to find the issue with my bright lights with Dave's suggestion. I unplugged the adapter harness for my projector headlights from the factory plug...used one of my old hi/low bulbs and found the circuits were functioning normally. In the end one of the prongs from the aftermarket harness plug in had become indented into the plug and wasn't making contact on the associated hi-beam lead. Problem fixed. I'm all set with the paint shop for touch-up and chip removal this coming week. Once completed I'll be posting new photos from an actual photo shoot with a scenic background other than my driveway.

One of the most gratifying moments today was when two guys pulled up next to me at a traffic light after being behind me honking their horn to tell me how totally BAD ASS my car is I'm certainly enjoying this attention.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of the most gratifying moments today was when two guys pulled up next to me at a traffic light after being behind me honking their horn to tell me how totally BAD ASS my car is I'm certainly enjoying this attention.

100 times better looking now!
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man Charlie that looks sweet!!!!
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it does look sweet.

Love that WideBody & the tires/wheels fit very nicely.

It has to be very satisfying to have it to this point after all the years at whats his names place..

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-21-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's very gratifying. I'm getting so many compliments on the body...then I start the car and it becomes a whole new conversation. As far as the wheels go guys like Curly, Troy, and Tony were my inspiration. Maybe now my car would be welcome in the company of their awesome machines

My 9 yr old has decided this is going to be her car so I guess I'll have to start researching for the next one...LS7/F40! I'm keeping an eye on Troy's thread regarding how his drivetrain is holding up with all that power.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Today when I was finally able to give my car some attention...I checked to see if I needed to make further adjustment to the front coilovers. Fortunately everything remained unchanged. Next I changed the Sears Platinum battery which Dave had to replace a few months ago with an Optima Yellow Top. The Sears battery wasn't even a year old and was a replacement for one I put in the car last August. That's three batteries in a little over a year. Anyway, I also installed new leather e-brake and shifter boot with yellow quad stitching. I am very pleased with how they came out.

Then it was time for a drive. Too bad there was so much traffic coming back home.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before:

After:

Wow! Man Wow! This is sweet!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i have put a picture of this car on my phone so i can look at it for motivation.

Totally bada** !!

Charlie get ready for a lot of attention. You are going to be stopped and followed where ever you go.

You have go to be on cloud 9. Congratulations.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more additional pictures and experiences?
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gratifying experience of the day....on the way home today the driver of a Porsche Cayman next to me was locked in STARE mode looking at my car. It was a "holy crap...that's hotter than my Porsche"...

It gets better. At the off ramp an older guy in an Acura pulled up next to me...gestured for me to roll my window down and asked me what kind of car it was. When I told him it was a Fiero he said "Really? It's bad ass!"

I'm enjoying this attention thing

Dropping the car off at the paint shop tomorrow for touchup. When I pick it up I'm going to do a photo spread. Trying to emulate you BIG DAWGS out there.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 10-23-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gratifying experience of the day....on the way home today the driver of a Porsche Cayman next to me was locked in STARE mode looking at my car. It was a "holy crap...that's hotter than my Porsche"...

It gets better. At the off ramp an older guy in an Acura pulled up next to me...gestured for me to roll my window down and asked me what kind of car it was. When I told him it was a Fiero he said "Really? It's bad ass!"

I'm enjoying this attention thing

Man, this is going to be good!

Dropping the car off at the paint shop tomorrow for touchup. When I pick it up I'm going to do a photo spread. Trying to emulate you BIG DAWGS out there.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropped the car off at the paint shop this morning. By this afternoon the entire car had been sanded and all the road rash up front had been resurfaced. They decided to paint the whole car for a uniform color appearance so they're going to call me before they start tomorrow so I can get pictures of them painting the car.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie,

How do you feel about the 19" wheels in the back vs the 20" a lot of the other widebody guys are running ?

They look great in pics, but are you happy with the way they fill out the wheel well and the stance ? i like my cars to sit low, which is why i too may be leaning towards 19" vs the dubs.

i was waiting anxiously to see how yours came out.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very happy with how they turned out Tony. The math was perfect regarding the offset and I don't think I could have made a better choice.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow.... love it!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures from this morning...

Painting is already in progress

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tell those guys at maaco that if they get overspray on the engine after I spent so many hours on it, I will just throw the rope over the bathroom door.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No worries there Dave. These guys are as OCD about painting as you are about your builds

Both of the painters are highly knowledgable...much more so than the last guys that did it. I'm anxious to see the finished product!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dropped the car off at the paint shop this morning. By this afternoon the entire car had been sanded and all the road rash up front had been resurfaced. They decided to paint the whole car for a uniform color appearance so they're going to call me before they start tomorrow so I can get pictures of them painting the car.

Heck, you might as well add a Camero wing from V8Archie since they're starting over with fresh paint.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Heck, you might as well add a Camero wing from V8Archie since they're starting over with fresh paint.

Camaro wing you say? Where can this be viewed?
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went and saw my car at the shop yesterday. I have a few more things I want them to do, but overall the car came out far superior to the last paint job. I hope everyone will be as impressed as I was when I post the new pictures. Besides...the car was safer in the shop during the storm than in front of my house. I'm looking forward to picking it up after work tomorrow.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's after work tomorrow...
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And I'm enjoying driving it again!!!!
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2012 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! That thing would be completely awesome if it had an un-stretched Countach body on it!
Just Kidding Madcurl Looks great – one of the best builds to date. Drive it with Pride.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie64, that a nice modded fiero you got there.

I'm impressed with the alignment shop...its very, very clean and tidy. That's the way a
shop should be. Man, its discouraging when you bring a nice car in and the shop is newer
that the car you own, but the shop is a friggen mess. I don't know how mechanics can
work when their tool box is out of order. There's not a trace of grease on the alignment rack.

I see they have a newer style rack by Hunter. At least they can't have an excuse for scratching
your rims...

Good job !!

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock