Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43722 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most I was able to get was 5.5" Things are falling into place regarding the drivetrain upgrades.
IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

The most I was able to get was 5.5" Things are falling into place regarding the drivetrain upgrades.

That is the widest rear lip ever performed on a Fiero that I know of. A 1/2" more and your entering the Lamborghini world of rear lips (they're sporting 6").

Make sure you bring the wheels and tires to a shop that specializes in mounting flat wide barrel wheels. I took mine to a shop with Ferrari/Mercedes in the shop and they couldn't mount them. I took them to a local small shop in town and the older gentlemen know his craft and mounted them with no issues.

How much does the rear wheel weight?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-03-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess is the box and packing materials were about 5lbs ea. That brings the wheel weight F/R to 25/27. I'm going to put them on a scale in the near future and confirm.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Not sure why I got a double post.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 05-03-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the backside painted in silver?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie those are phenomenal !!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

When you get the rubber on and those puppies mounted on your car you better be prepared for the extreme amount of attention you are going to get.

Widebody plus wide wheels = Priceless !
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Is the backside painted in silver?

I believe so.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by exoticse:
Charlie those are phenomenal !!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

When you get the rubber on and those puppies mounted on your car you better be prepared for the extreme amount of attention you are going to get.

Widebody plus wide wheels = Priceless !

Just trying to be worthy of running with you "BIG DOGS"!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe so.

Good. I didn't know it at the time in 1999, but later on I realized that having the back side painted or chromed was the best thing since slice bread. I have my newer wheels polished with a clear coat on the inner barrels.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm certain they did clear coat on the inners too. Curly, I noticed on the thread you sent me you were using a wheel polish that now shows it's no longer available. Since I have time to do it I was thinking of adding another layer of protection to the inners. Any recommendations?

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 05-04-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

charlie,

When do you hope to have her back ?
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We were hoping to have it ready for the GM Nationals at Carlisle, but we are waiting on parts, so the car is just sitting at my house inside our (Troy's) trailer.
Dave
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie how often do you just go peek at those gorgeous wheels and just smile ?
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Charlie how often do you just go peek at those gorgeous wheels and just smile ?

Every other day. Weekly on the tires.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm certain they did clear coat on the inners too. Curly, I noticed on the thread you sent me you were using a wheel polish that now shows it's no longer available. Since I have time to do it I was thinking of adding another layer of protection to the inners. Any recommendations?

They don't sell it any longer in CA, but they do sell the product outside CA. This is only used on high polish areas and not on paint. Just use a good quality wax, but you need to wait until you have the tires mounted so that the weights won't fall off. You can then wax the inners after the tires are mounted.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-06-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to give all of you a "heads up" we're still waiting on items from WCF. Dave ordered them back at the beginning of May. They promised him the items would be shipped in three weeks. Here we are in July and still no parts. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy my car this summer.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just to give all of you a "heads up" we're still waiting on items from WCF. Dave ordered them back at the beginning of May. They promised him the items would be shipped in three weeks. Here we are in July and still no parts. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy my car this summer.

What's is that your waiting for? I should be by their shop on Monday. Oh yeah, are those tires mounted on the those wheels? I'd love just seeing them mounted by themselves. Please give a wheel addict my quick fix.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent regarding the details Curly. As far as mounting the wheels...I have to wait until the car is back. I'm going to the tire shop today to stare at my tires that have been sitting in a corner since May when WCF was supposed to have our drivetrain parts done. The wheels are still in my shed in the boxes.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? Still waiting on WCF?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

Updates? Still waiting on WCF?

Oh yes.....I believe Charlie's temper is about to burst with the delay. I spoke with WCF and they state the clutch and flywheel will be ready to ship today. I said to Chris West before, that he makes nice stuff, but if he was upfront about the delay, we would have gone a different route. This backs up my shop's schedule which I run very tightly. I managed to sneak in a VW Toureag V10 TDI twin turbo upgrade in to kill a few weeks while we are waiting, but if I didn't have the extra projects, I would be losing over $1000 a day due to the delay.

Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm beyond that point. I know they don't have the clutch or the axles. They know they don't have it and never did. WCF was more than happy to charge up front for it almost 3 months ago now. They promised you a 3 week turn around, but look at where we are now. What pisses me off is they listed a kit on their website they knew they didn't have and didn't have a clue how to produce. I agree that had we known this back then...you could have outsourced the axles, clutch, and flywheel and I would probably have made it to Carlisle. Chris claimed on Tuesday the clutch would be ready by Thursday. Of course nothing was mentioned about the axles. Let's see what the exucse is today for it not being ready. I don't believe it will be the clutch he was more than happy to charge us extra for and probably won't be an improvement over what you had in my car prior to this year's upgrades. I thought I was going to get to enjoy my car this summer, but if we keep waiting on WCF I'm would be concerned I'd even be driving it this year.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow,..that sucks.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I expected...nothing is ready. WCF (Chris) promised Dave he would have it in hand next week. Thought it was supposed to be ready by yesterday according to what he promised Dave on Tuesday. Of course there was the same promise last week. Gee...I've heard those kind of promises before. After nearly 3 months is anyone else seeing a pattern here? Starting to sound too much like the "Loyde" business model.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All we can do is wait and see if Chris is true to his word or blowing smoke up my ass. I understand delays and not being able to get parts on time. I go through that all the time. The entire reason I went with WCF on this setup is that I want to keep the money inside the Fiero community and help Fiero vendors. I said when I first started Haus of Guru that I wouldn't replicate parts that can be purchased from vendors...unless their product didn't meet my standards.

Chris told me his usual axle supplier stopped making the parts he needed, so he has to find another way to make them and it is under control. He and I have been back and forth on the phone and in emails about the clutch setup. Charlie and I asked for a refund for the parts we did not get and we were going to use a Spec stage 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel, but that was ignored and WCF claimed that the stage 3+ won't hold over 300ft lbs without slipping. I have installed the 3+ in a LS3 Fiero, a turbo 3800 and my 3800s/c car...all making over 300ft lbs with no issues.

Not to drag this out, the point I am making is simple. I will give Chris until July 27th to have the (streetable) clutch and flywheel in my hands or then I will be calling my bank to do a credit card reversal. If I knew my customer was in a rush and I couldn't make the deadline and he wanted a refund, I would refund the money. We were promised at the end of June. It is now throwing off my business because our Toureag turbo diesel turbos just came back from the shop that upgraded the compressor wheels and the engine should be back in this upcoming week.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 07-21-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Almost high noon.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
spoke to WCF today. I won't go into details. All I will say is that I will be sourcing the flywheel/clutch and axles for this build.

Dave
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

spoke to WCF today. I won't go into details. All I will say is that I will be sourcing the flywheel/clutch and axles for this build.

Dave

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three months wasted on that BS artist. How he can market a product he did't have or clearly have a clue how to produce is unbelievable. More than happy to take money from us up front though. Sounds like someone is practicing the "Loyde" business model....take money up front...deliver nothing...make excuses and promises...and still deliver nothing.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was too pissed to discuss this yesterday.

My whole reasoning behind this was to keep money inside the Fiero community. I have always stated that I would rather give a little extra money to a Fiero vendor than an outside source thus keeping the Fiero vendor in business so he can continue making products for our cars.

When I approached WCF with our plan to go F40, they said it would be 3 weeks and around $3300 not including the transmission. They told me that they sold a few kits before and had all the issues that I ran into on Michael's "project Cr3810n" solved. The issues we had on our last F40 build were the clutch and flywheel stack height and passenger side cv joint hitting the oil filter. I'm not certain of what caused the delay at WCF's end, but we recieved everything except the clutch/flywheel and the axles. We are still uncertain what the $75 in special bolts are.

At this point, I will get the needed parts myself and call the last 3 months a complete loss and waste of time. This mishap greatly upsets Charlie, myself and caused me to turn away other cars that I could have done.

The only reason at this point that I am not losing over $1000 a day is the massive heat wave cause triple the normal repairs at the shop. BMW water pump jobs are getting towed in by the handful.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 07-27-2012).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see this awesome project getting back on track. I know how it feels to have a project delayed by a parts vender, I ordered my new Koni struts in April from TireRack and we are still waiting.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the latest.......

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089925.html

Inside of one week after WCF failed to provide a clutch and flywheel (three months), Spec sent this to us at half the cost of WCF.

It took us about 30 minutes to get the transmission out and two hours to fit the F40 back in....

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anything new ?
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave is expecting the axles anytime this week. Everything else was reassembled earlier this month. Shouldn't be much longer now.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is completely assembled....just waiting for the axles to show up from the driveshaft shop. WCF is still on my sh!t list and I used to refer Fiero owners to them for products....but I will never give them a good reference again. I am still out the $2445 that they haven't refunded.

Anyway, here are a few pictures. The throttle body had to be mounted upside down and the ZZP turndown had to be remade to fit with WCF's mounts. Their mounts moved the drivetrain up about 3/4" from the getrag mounts and we had tight clearances before. Charlie told me that I did not have permission to notch the driver's side decklid and use a prop rod....so I got creative.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...I was way off on the understanding scale. I thought you meant putting a scoop thru the vent and sticks up over the roof of the car. Valuable lesson learned for me.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 08-29-2012).]

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats your estimate on RWHP that this set up will put out?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are the mods:

Gen V supercharger with 2.8" pulley
full size intercooler
methanol injection
ZZP stage 3 cylinder heads with oversize valves
XP hot cam with double roller timing chain
custom hand made headers
77mm Northstar throttle body
Haus of Guru tuning
aluminum flywheel

I expect to see 400whp on a safe tune

Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
400whp??? Only if you tune it down. I'm hoping we got more than a 40whp Increase.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

400whp??? Only if you tune it down. I'm hoping we got more than a 40whp Increase.

Trust me the corvette boys will be looking at your taillights . Looking good!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The limitation factor is the M90 blower. It can only push so much air. The more boost, the hotter the air = less power. The trick is to find that balance and cool the intake. I've tweaked my personal car to the limit and have more whp than similiar setups, but I run mine on the edge, pulling fuel at WOT and letting the methanol do its job. I also datalog constantly to ensure the engine is doing what it should because if the meth pump fails, I'll be in the market for a new engine. Charlie's car will be tuned safely, so that this won't be a worry.
The advantage Charlie's car has over most is the headers outflow just about everything else made for a 3800 Fiero. With a roots blower, you don't want restrictive headers. One car came into my shop a little while ago with stock manifolds and the owner asked us to install WCF headers. I datalogged his car before and the tune was dead on. After just installing the headers, we had 2 degrees of knock at full throttle.
Back on topic, I am not sure until we hit the dyno if we will be keeping the 2.8" pulley or back to the 3.0" pulley. It depends on where I can keep the timing.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock