Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Reproduction TAIL LIGHTS coming soon (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Reproduction TAIL LIGHTS coming soon by Slammed
Started on: 04-20-2015 03:18 PM
Replies: 575 (27085 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 04-24-2016 01:14 PM
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

I didn't realize there was a contest going on with prizes.

Neither did I.

Kevin
IP: Logged
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump

Staying positive, Slammed will get it done !

have new ones, however would buy a spare set to have for future use.

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Expect them to be for sale mid-June/early-July through our website that is being constructed specifically for these AND a large vendor most of you are already familiar with.

Hey Slammed! Eagerly anticipating an update with this project! Summer is coming, and I can't wait for these new lenses... Are you guys on time with your original production estimate?

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Hey Slammed! Eagerly anticipating an update with this project! Summer is coming, and I can't wait for these new lenses... Are you guys on time with your original production estimate?

I just saw this thread but am also very interested in an update. My GT lenses are currently cracked and delaminating, so I would be interested in a quality product in this price range. I cant wait for pics.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am one of those grumpy bastards that didn't think this will ever happen (I have built tail light and lens molds before and know what is involved). I would LOVE to eat crow and say I was wrong, believe me. However, to those of you sitting around hoping for this, it is best not to get your hopes up. It is a lot more complex than it seems to make these. Hopefully this potential vendor comes through
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should come out for sale right after the 68-69 GTO style nose hits the market .....................
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Should come out for sale right after the 68-69 GTO style nose hits the market .....................

That thing is so ugly and looks so horrendous I'm glad it never did.

Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tooling for the lettering/tint is finished and we had a few unsuccessful attempts last week for a complete lense

But, they are very VERY close. We hope to have the process perfected this week and start building an inventory. As we get closer to our release date, we will be putting out pictures and video.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what would go along way is pics of even of failed attempts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesnt really matter if it takes 2 years.
The good thing is someone is serious about it.
Keep it up Slammed.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm posting updates. When they are ready, they will sell. It's not like NOT posting pictures will shoo away buyers when they are ready

We are not sharing the process. The failures are a very good indicator of how these are being made
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the good work. I don't think anyone needs to see the rejects though, what would the point be?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the point would be to show that it really is being done then it shuts up all the naysayers
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

That was a "fun" project that was never promised to be delivered. There was a possibility and desire but we knew there were no guarantees and that is why we refused to take any deposits. Sorry to disappoint you with our lives getting in the way of our hobby.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by Steel:

That thing is so ugly and looks so horrendous I'm glad it never did.

Actually it looked very good. I'm still proud of how far we got with it. Everyone who saw it in person said it looked even better than the pics. Not everything is for everyone. I guess it wasn't meant for you.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tooling for the lettering/tint is finished and we had a few unsuccessful attempts last week for a complete lense

But, they are very VERY close. We hope to have the process perfected this week and start building an inventory. As we get closer to our release date, we will be putting out pictures and video.

AWESOME!!! It's great to hear progress is being made! I can't wait!!! Thank you for the update Slammed!

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Let's Go Mets!

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can mark me down for a set.

Archie
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^What Archie said, thanks for your hard work and dedication to see this project thru.
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully everything is going according to plan!

I literally come to the forum every morning and check to see if there is an update in this thread first. Anxiously awaiting pics!!!

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't own a GT, but having a source for good quality repro GT tail lights would be fantastic. I'd like to get a GT one day and I'd want to keep the OEM style tail lights. I've not seen any aftermarket setups that I thought looked anywhere near as good as stock. They may not be show quality, but I don't own show cars, so I'm good with that. They need to be able to pass an inspection, but I've never seen an inspector in NC check for DOT markings, so that's a non-issue to me.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing how the product turns out!
PFF
System Bot
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to the top for an update if possible
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'M in for a set. Would be awesome if you make the deadline. But if you don't that's ok too. Just glad that they will be coming soon. In middle of swapping formula to GT now and need lights
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We will have an update by the end of the month
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Aww yeah!!!!

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't bumped this in a while

We will have pics and details about pricing, ordering and wait times by July 8th. That is the date we have right now. Things are looking very good
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't bumped this in a while

We will have pics and details about pricing, ordering and wait times by July 8th. That is the date we have right now. Things are looking very good

I'm be pissed if you get by an asteroid or something.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be wanting a set too. I'm sure there will be enough of us to make your effort worthwhile!

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We will have an update by the end of the month

Here we are at the end of the month.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

Here we are at the end of the month.

Chill bruv. Still about 30 hrs left in this month.
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We will have pics and details about pricing, ordering and wait times by July 8th. That is the date we have right now. Things are looking very good.

July 8th.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
raptor_vrscx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raptor_vrscxSend a Private Message to raptor_vrscxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
every tail lamp thread on this forum get the negative?
DOT approval?

really? does it need to be? NO!
who cares its better than the cracked, delaminated units we all have, YES?

dot approval, state safety passing is gone the moment you get a crack in your DOT approved lens.

its gone the moment you clear coat it.

its guys like the ones I see whining, condemning, being negative why so many venders wont bother making us nice parts.

its why my 4 and 6 axis vmc's, cnc lathe, cnc plasma aren't offered up to the forum to assist in making items we all can use. I tried offering that up a year ago.

so for those who think your cracked, faded, re clear coated len's are better than a crisp clean new one that may or may not last 30 years, keep it.

id buy a set if they lasted 5-10 years, and have 3 more sets ready for when they fail.

go buy a brand new DOT approved set, for what cost? shopping cart in parking lot, someone at a car show leans on it, your neighbor mowing tossed a rock, who knows. one crack that changes the way the light transmits, allows moisture in the DOT approval is gone.

why aren't the whining crowds the ones who step up to help the community?

dot approval clear lens cant alter, change, detract the distance, angle and brightness of the light transmitted, aimed through the colored lens, or allow moisture in that will.
we fail clear coated head lamp lens that yellow out, or have re cleared incorrectly.

strange that most of the DOT worried guys have either modified the DOT lens on the car by clear coating it, or are driving with slightly cracked lens now. take that lens in to see if it passes the DOT approval it was approved for.

members, manufactures try to help us. who will stick around? every post where one tries is full of such negative comments. too high a price don't fit like OEM., so great, go with out
any parts because, there aren't any OEM ones left to fit like. something that works, holds up, fits is better than none.

I commend anyone willing to invest time, money, research in an attempt to try. while others use time to condemn
most so I commend those who stick around through the negative and pull it off.

who wants to bet one of the first in line to buy these will be one of those who cried for most of the last 4 pages?

[This message has been edited by raptor_vrscx (edited 06-30-2015).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raptor_vrscx:

every tail lamp thread on this forum get the negative?
DOT approval?

really? does it need to be? NO!
who cares its better than the cracked, delaminated units we all have, YES?
who wants to bet one of the first in line to buy these will be one of those who cried for most of the last 4 pages?

What?!
Most people are now just patiently waiting.

Since you came out "guns blazing", I'll ask...
Have you been here for all the other failed attempts to make stuff for our cars? (Not that they didn't try, at considerable expense, I might add. I can't fault people for their enthusiasm.)
Have you been here for the outright fraud that has been perpetrated upon some of the people here, over the years?
Since you've only been registered for less than a year, I'm guessing that there's a good chance you haven't. Or maybe you have.

Hell... we can't even keep a reliable vendor for 3800 swap harnesses. Within the past 6 months, two of those vendors have disappeared with other peoples' parts and money. (And still have the balls to post elsewhere on the forum.)
And that's just "by the numbers" stuff. Not any real investment involved. Or maybe a couple hundred dollars for tools, pins, and other material.
Other than that, the only investment is time.

So excuse people if they're just a little bit cynical. (Which I really haven't seen a lot of, lately, in this thread.)

I really hope this project is a success. A roaring success.
Heck... I haven't had anything much to say, and even I might buy a pair of these things, when they're done.
Even though my lenses are a 8.5 of 10.

Let's wait and see...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-30-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2015 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
What?!
Most people are now just patiently waiting.

Since you came out "guns blazing", I'll ask...
Have you been here for all the other failed attempts to make stuff for our cars? (Not that they didn't try, at considerable expense, I might add. I can't fault people for their enthusiasm.)
Have you been here for the outright fraud that has been perpetrated upon some of the people here, over the years?
Since you've only been registered for less than a year, I'm guessing that there's a good chance you haven't. Or maybe you have.

Hell... we can't even keep a reliable vendor for 3800 swap harnesses. Within the past 6 months, two of those vendors have disappeared with other peoples' parts and money. (And still have the balls to post elsewhere on the forum.)
And that's just "by the numbers" stuff. Not any real investment involved. Or maybe a couple hundred dollars for tools, pins, and other material.
Other than that, the only investment is time.

So excuse people if they're just a little bit cynical. (Which I really haven't seen a lot of, lately, in this thread.)

I really hope this project is a success. A roaring success.
Heck... I haven't had anything much to say, and even I might buy a pair of these things, when they're done.
Even though my lenses are a 8.5 of 10.

Let's wait and see...

I don't know what all tools some of those harness vendors have invested in, but I can tell you that if they are buying the 100% legal/proper tools to work with all these connectors, "a couple hundred dollars" will nowhere near cover it. I was looking at some tools for working on the harness for my swap, and just the tool to remove pins from the ECM connector (the one that connects directly to the ECM) is like $60, and it's literally just a tiny push pin like tool. The crimp tool for the pins for the same connector, was about $600.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
...I was looking at some tools for working on the harness for my swap, and just the tool to remove pins from the ECM connector (the one that connects directly to the ECM) is like $60, and it's literally just a tiny push pin like tool. The crimp tool for the pins for the same connector, was about $600.

I own the "pin pusher". Don't think I paid quite that much for it.
I also own a crimper. (Yeah. A suitable one for the job, although you have to know what you're doing.)
Don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't even close to $600.

The point that I was trying to make was, that (even using your examples) with the prices that were being charged, the entire investment would have been recouped with the sale of one - or maybe two - harnesses. The only other "outlay" they have is their time. And they still can't produce, reliably.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-30-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I own the "pin pusher". Don't think I paid quite that much for it.
I also own a crimper. (Yeah. A suitable one for the job, although you have to know what you're doing.)
Don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't even close to $600.

The point that I was trying to make was, that (even using your examples) with the prices that were being charged, the entire investment would have been recouped with the sale of one - or maybe two - harnesses. The only other "outlay" they have is their time. And they still can't produce, reliably.

I have several pin removal tools as well, all of which I think I paid less than $30 or $40 for, but none of them work with the ECM connector on the e38 ECM. The pins on it are different, and they "require" special crimp and release tools which you can only purchase from the same manufacturer who produces the pins (yay patents), and are sold at extortionist prices. The removal tool I could probably turn on my hobby lathe out of delrin or steel or something, very easily.

I wasn't defending those who failed to make good on their commitments by any means. Just pointing out that if they started out "doing it right" and bought the correct "official" tools, or were expanding to do harnesses for other things as well, the costs can be pretty outrageously beyond "a few hundred dollars," as I've been looking into these things to build my own harnesses.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really hope that this comes together, But to be honest I have seen so many other GREAT PLANS fall through. Or it will be like so many other threads where all of a sudden there are no more posts and we never know what the end result was as the OP just stops posting or answering posts.
raptor_vrscx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raptor_vrscxSend a Private Message to raptor_vrscxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mouser, digikey are but two you can buy such crimpers, connectors from. if you don't know the style series by site, then find a gm number and cross it.

my 3800 wiring harness given i have the crimpers did reuse many of the housings, and any seal that were in good shape certainly didn't cost me $400 for a swap harness. its also handy in case i end up needing to re-crimp someone else"s bad crimp,, its why i needed them in the first place. wasn't and still isn't uncommon to trace a foolish driveability issue to a bad/loose crimp. are cases where there was a glitch in the car, 2-3 strands of wire in the crimp, the rest was insulation. can make for an interesting day. that was in a buick that had 6K miles on it. the dealership gave up sent it to our shop.

not everyone builds their swap the same, so why buy someone else's idea of what he thinks is the best routing for your harness? then rush him asking how much longer, and hope like hell every connection is good?

a cheap set of crimpers that aren't multi action can be had for under $50. they aren't as fool proof but work, just make sure you load the terminal in the correct direction, as they are tapered, the side with the insulation must always be loaded on the correct side. its not ideal, but any terminal not subjected to lots of vibration, flexing can be lightly hit with tinning flux, or silver solder. again mostly if you don't trust your own crimp. by far its cheaper than buying a harness. most of all its done your way,
raptor_vrscx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raptor_vrscxSend a Private Message to raptor_vrscxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

raptor_vrscx

104 posts
Member since Aug 2014
maybe pcm is different? unlock the color terminal lock, reach in unlock each terminal as you need? once the colored cover was off, its then done the way fords been doing it for years. the colored cover is what keeps each of the individual terminals locks from unlocking. don't recall needing any special tool.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock