Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Ferrari 288GTO build (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ferrari 288GTO build by dobie1
Started on: 08-31-2014 11:18 PM
Replies: 602 (29125 views)
Last post by: dobie1 on 04-17-2024 10:54 PM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car ill make you one of the legends when finished on here.
IP: Logged
dobie1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everyone sorry for the long delay in this build, here is a bit of a update.
As I had posted previously I shut down the build while I finished renoing my house getting it ready to sell. It is sold and we have moved into our last home (rancher on an acre with a shop). It has a nice size 750 sq ft shop on, so I now have some room to move and finish my custom 288. In my previous posts I took the car for storage to My buddy Frank"s. He has been slowly working on finishing the body and doing the Ferrari/ Fiero custom suspension when he finds time while it has been at his shop(and he isn't working on his 640 Lambo). Im hoping to post some update pics of it in the next while. I can assure everyone that has been following the build to now you won't be disappointed . The molds will follow after the plug is finished " yes Sage you were right " We have made some dramatic changes to the front clip design it will no longer be a one piece front end it will now be a 6 piece the same as the real 288. We did this to keep shipping costs down, Im hoping to have the complete car body in a 30" wide x 60" long x 40" high crate. The rear clip will be 6 pieces as well. This also makes it easier if I damage a panel to replace it.

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 08-14-2016).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This project is amazing ! The customization is smoking hot ! 🔥
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the positive feedback. I do appreciate it.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob
I see you've been busy on your build , I really like your rear hood hinge construction nicely done as always.😄
Haze_Performance

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Haze_PerformanceSend a Private Message to Haze_PerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome project..
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never really liked the 308- It seemed like a piece of wood "profiled" to look like a car from the side but from the top- looking down- the sides were straight- flat. The GTO is a completely different animal.....Basically, my favorite Ferrari. Very organic shape- the flared fenders just do it for me. Your build is really amazing- I used some of that 2 part foam for flotation in my jet boat....It was an interesting experience....A video would have done the Keystone cops proud!

Keep up the good work!
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2016 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Jet the 288 has probably the sexiest top down look of the early super cars IMOP.
That has been the key to my build ,an atemp at updating a classic look without losing its classic lines.
Working with the two part foam was a learning process and a very messy medium in its liquid state I can imagine your
Videos humour.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobie1:

Hi Bob
I see you've been busy on your build , I really like your rear hood hinge construction nicely done as always.😄

Thank you. Feel free to replicate.

Bob

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well It finally arrived and I hope you like it as much as I do
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The plan this winter is finishing the interior I was able to find original Alcantera material for the interior. Then when the temptures are warmer in the spring to do the body molds!!

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 09-29-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking sweet ! can not wait to see more on the build of it,

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now THAT is sexy !! 👍 Wow great job !
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2016 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to widen the track or wheels at all? Looks like the hubs need to be moved out a couple more inches to fill the wells better.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good, Wayne.

I had to look at it several times though, to notice the change... What happened to the notch that ran the length of the car?

Bob

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob
It was to close to the lower door mod making it look weird and would be difficult to mold. Frank felt and I agreed the clean lines make it look better, I may paint in the line but I personally don't miss it.
wayne
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobie1

453 posts
Member since Jun 2005
Hi Dobey
The back end has been widened 3" on both sides I may look at different wheels and tires to fill in the extra space however if I go much wider in the back it will Really kick up a lot of debris on to the rear fender due to the sweep under.
Wayne
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2016 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good, dying to start mine...

Joe
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2016 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments😄
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
I had to go find my build I was so far lost in history!!

Not much of a update , but I'm getting close to having a mold built of the car so I can produce the panels to finish the car.

The car was running really crappy so ended up having to buy a HP Tuner to reprogram the ECU for a better idle it's not perfect but at least it can be driven now to move around.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that really looks nice. Please keep the thread going
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2017 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to the progress report, Wayne. Get to it...

Bob
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2017 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got off the phone with Wayne about 5 minutes ago and he still has home renoes to get to as some new house projects showed up earlier than expected. He still gets to the car periodically but not very much right now with house projects taking priority.

It will get finished but will be a bit yet....

More to come from Wayne I am sure.

Cheers
Don
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2017 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car looks friggin awesome, great job man

shem
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oooh, a local!

I'll have to pay close attention to this.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad I went back and read the part about "body molds". That is a sweet car..

------------------
3800sc plug and play harnesses for sale.

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually like to biatch about everything you say and do... that's probably because we have opposing way of life and thought processes ..... but I must admit on this one you do have a gem there and can't wait to see the final rolling product ...

Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Danyel
Thanks for stopping by my build thread!!!
Not sure what you mean by this ;
"I usually like to biatch about everything you say and do... that's probably because we have opposing way of life and thought processes ..... "

Do I know you?
Sorry if I am misunderstanding your comment.

But thanks for the positive response, it's always appreciated!

Cheers
Wayne😀

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 05-15-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He might be mixing you up with Dobey, who often posts in the TOTALLY OT section . . . .
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi Danyel
Thanks for stopping by my build thread!!!
Not sure what you mean by this ;
"I usually like to biatch about everything you say and do... that's probably because we have opposing way of life and thought processes ..... "

Do I know you?
Sorry if I am misunderstanding your comment.

But thanks for the positive response, it's always appreciated!

Cheers
Wayne😀

Hello Wayne ... was reading through too fast ... got your nick mixed up with someone else .... but still beautiful car !!
regards
Danyel

middle age kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for middle age kidSend a Private Message to middle age kidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just getting started with Fieros as a hobby. I am completing an 86 SE and have replaced everything. I would be very interested in my next Fiero project. I am currently looking for a good donor and would be interested in the body kit. It is a cool throwback to the Ferrari cars of legend. Let me know when you get ready for production and a cost. Thanks and keep up the good work.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well It finally arrived and I hope you like it as much as I do

That looks great! Needs some deeper wheels. I hope I see one of these in person at a Fiero show..
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your right 2.5... I'm waiting until I change the front suspension out to see where it's at. Before I do any wheel changes.
On the project.😊

Cheers
Wayne
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those wheels look great, try some wheel spacers. I got some 1" and they did a miracle on my car!

shem
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Shemdog
Thanks for the imput, I'm going to try some spacers but I think the front would require 2 - 3" to bring the wheels out to the lip.
I could probably get away with 1" in the rear. I've. Got a set that I will try and see how it looks. I'm concerned that that much of a spacer on the front will cause driving problems.
Any thoughts from the forum?

Cheers
Wayne

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are nice wheels. I'm guessing youd need big spacers like 2-3 inch, different wheels that are deep, or change the suspension for such a wide body.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The current wheels do look nice, but IMO , i think you need a nice deep dish wheel. Yes you can add spacers, but the current wheels are going to look tiny from behind. Wheels are like the whip cream and cherry on top and go a long way in determining overall look. After putting all that hard work into this masterpiece, it would seem silly to skimp on the wheels.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi Shemdog
Thanks for the imput, I'm going to try some spacers but I think the front would require 2 - 3" to bring the wheels out to the lip.
I could probably get away with 1" in the rear. I've. Got a set that I will try and see how it looks. I'm concerned that that much of a spacer on the front will cause driving problems.
Any thoughts from the forum?

Cheers
Wayne

Hey Wayne,
I think you need to go with a wide-track suspension, at least for the front. The scrub radius on the front is already poor. Adding spacers makes it that much worse.

Spacers on the rear would be just ok. Some argue against them. But, as Exoticse said, you need a wide tire back there anyway. I don't recall your wheel sizes, but I'm going with a 10" rear wheel.
I believe I would still need spacers for your body kit, though (25mm offset).

my 2 cents.

Bob
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dobie I neglected to mention your car is absolutely stunning. Beyond drool worthy. 😮 👍👍👍👍
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2017 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a heck of a profile picture!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock