Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Northstar rebuild: Will style (Page 27)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Northstar rebuild: Will style by Will
Started on: 12-29-2003 09:00 PM
Replies: 1044 (71876 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-15-2021 05:28 AM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2021 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That reminds me of the time(s) I spent way too much time doing something very similar to fit an AN coolant 90 on a SBC so it cleared the frame rails. Thinned the bolt on plate, ran a die deeper onto the NPT side of the fitting, trimmed the excess that protruded on the backside, rinse/repeat...

Taking the time to fineness these types of fitment issues pays huge dividends with the overall finished product reliability and aesthetics and are part of what separates a well done swap from the herd.

it's something I found significantly lacking in the early days of my LX9 shenanigans, each phase of my build has worked closer and closer to making the car easier to work on. I really wish I had focused more on the little details from the start. I probably would have alot more miles on the car by now if I had.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2021 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That reminds me of the time(s) I spent way too much time doing something very similar to fit an AN coolant 90 on a SBC so it cleared the frame rails. Thinned the bolt on plate, ran a die deeper onto the NPT side of the fitting, trimmed the excess that protruded on the backside, rinse/repeat...

Taking the time to fineness these types of fitment issues pays huge dividends with the overall finished product reliability and aesthetics and are part of what separates a well done swap from the herd.

Thanks!

It's not fun, but a lot of times necessary.

Of course if I'd test fitted it to this level BEFORE I had it anodized, I could have milled down and re-tapped the oil pressure sender boss thereby making the fitting installation much easier.
It's all fun and games until I smash the fitting while installing the engine and have to make another one.

Originally posted by ericjon262:

it's something I found significantly lacking in the early days of my LX9 shenanigans, each phase of my build has worked closer and closer to making the car easier to work on. I really wish I had focused more on the little details from the start. I probably would have alot more miles on the car by now if I had.

GM designs things to go together easily in one sequence and the maintenance aspect just ends up where it ends up. While we want to do a lot of things that "look like production", we have to design maintainability more like a race car that gets torn down after every race weekend... because we end up tearing things down a lot more than production cars are meant for.
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2021 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Will!
I am curious what fuel pump you will run in your car?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2021 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
GM designs things to go together easily in one sequence and the maintenance aspect just ends up where it ends up. While we want to do a lot of things that "look like production", we have to design maintainability more like a race car that gets torn down after every race weekend... because we end up tearing things down a lot more than production cars are meant for.

it's a tough battle for sure. I thought I had done so many things "the right way" when I first started all of my shenanigans, boy was I wrong about alot of it. I won't complain though, my car is an exercise in engineering for me, I will continue to make improvements, and use it as a leaning tool.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

Hey, Will!
I am curious what fuel pump you will run in your car?

@$$uming it turns on the next time I apply juice, I have a '96 Corvette pump. It's nice and quiet, unlike the Walbro I tried in my Formula.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock