Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32612 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Everyone, I have an announcement. This whole project is now called, "The Gold Rush Project", and my Fiero is now named "Gold Rush". Much thanks to batousai666 for the name idea. It is the start of a new beginning! See the updated first post of this Thread.

I am honored my friend. thank you.
are you going to get a vanity plate??
i like mine.

$30 in MI, for one plate. $5 more for 2nd. one for the front. or in my case the garage wall. with the rest of my old plates.

you in Cleveland, ehh!? i spend alot of time DownTown at Peabodies DownUnder.
at least 4 times a year. next time i am there, i will give you a shout.
i wanna see the "GOLDRUSH" in action.
again good choice, if i must say so, myself
later
Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-31-2010).]

IP: Logged
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on making it into The Construction Zone!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo, hoo! The Construction zone!

Turkey on Rye

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey man, looks great.

Not sure if anyone answered your ? about the power cable, but yes that is an OK setup. Def. need to get a solid block to chassis ground hooked up though, even if you get it started without one it will significantly improve things if you had one. Just my .02

Good luck bro.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awww.......SNAP. You're in the Zone now! Congrats buddy! And I'm loving the name of the project. Hey, if you want a used overflow bottle, I have one on the parts car at my house right now. It's in pretty decent shape, and will work well until you buy a new one from the FS. If you want it, say the word and it's yours. I will even cover the shipping on it.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an update. Kinda.
I Spent most of my time today re-doing the battery connections up front,as I really didn't like them before, its all good now. I tried to re-crimp the connector from the cable to the starter, I was getting really frustrated because I was working upside down, on my back, laying on rough concrete. It wasn't fun. But it worked enough to let me crank it over (which it did!) but it didn't start, it actually backfired a few times. Then the battery became too weak, so I charged it up, and tried again but I only got clicking this time again. In frustration, I climbed under the car, yanked and tugged at the wire, and it just fell apart. So I quit for the day, and tomorrow I will stop half-azzing myself and go buy the proper things I need, and solder the crap out of that stupid thing.
Don't know why it backfired though, this is were I might need some help from you guys. What could be wrong? I can't set or change the timing, the computer does that now.
Photobucket isn't working right now, thats too bad I have a video of the "cranking". Nothing really super exciting though.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-01-2010).]

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have an update. Kinda.
I Spent most of my time today re-doing the battery connections up front,as I really didn't like them before, its all good now. I tried to re-crimp the connector from the cable to the starter, I was getting really frustrated because I was working upside down, on my back, laying on rough concrete, and it worked enough to let me crank it over (which it did!) but it didn't start, it actually backfired a few times. The the battery became too weak, so I charged it up, and tried again but I only got clicking this time again. In frustration, I climbed under the car, yanked and tugged at the wire, and it just fell apart. So I quit for the day, and tomorrow I will stop half-azzing myself and go buy the proper things I need, and solder the crap out of that stupid thing.
Don't know why it backfired though, this is were I might need some help from you guys. What could be wrong? I can't set or change the timing, the computer does that now.
Photobucket isn't working right now, thats too bad I have a video of the "cranking". Nothing really super exciting though.

I am not sure why it back fired. But at least you are close. Congrats!!

Once your done you can drive it out here and do a 3.4 swap in my 86 GT.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I am not sure why it back fired. But at least you are close. Congrats!!

Once your done you can drive it out here and do a 3.4 swap in my 86 GT.

Only If you add a hood scoop and side scoops to my car.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with the backfires, just check the basics again. Firing order ect...if its popping that means your getting fuel air and spark. Your not too far off i bet.
Turkey on Rye

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm with Antuzzui on the firing order. Easiest thing to check and sounds like the issue.
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, check your spark plug wires. I have found that the firing order in some manuals to be incorrect. Find a nice guide online and make sure your coils are firing the right plug.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sigh. Well today, I soldered and shrink-wrapped the starter termial and all that jazz, but it still just clicks. I even "jump-started" it will my dad's truck, and it still clicks. I'm running out of ideas as too whats wrong.
Edit: I mean like constant clicking while the key is in run, not one click.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-02-2010).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
before getting too far spray some starting fluid in the TB. If it fires then you got it narrowed to fuel related already.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

before getting too far spray some starting fluid in the TB. If it fires then you got it narrowed to fuel related already.

It doesn't even turn over right now, the starter just clicks.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
see if it will turn over by hand. Pull all the plugs and make sure its not the engine. Did you put shims between the starter? I would proceed with caution. Pulling the plugs and a hand turn will tell you a lot (if it turns the problem lies somewhere in the starting system). Then remove the starter and take it to a auto parts store and have it tested. What gauge wire are you running from you bat? and do your have good grounds??
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

see if it will turn over by hand. Pull all the plugs and make sure its not the engine. Did you put shims between the starter? I would proceed with caution. Pulling the plugs and a hand turn will tell you a lot (if it turns the problem lies somewhere in the starting system). Then remove the starter and take it to a auto parts store and have it tested. What gauge wire are you running from you bat? and do your have good grounds??

Yes I can turn it over even with the plugs in. I think the starter is just not getting enough power.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it clicks continuously, that usually means the starter solenoid isn't getting enough power. It usually happens when the battery is weak, or there's a bad connection. It would be a good idea to trace the solenoid wire (the smaller wire on the starter) and look for loose connections, or a short to ground.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-02-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well got a step closer today. Found out the starter issue was that I needed another block to frame ground, as it cranks fine now. But it still isn't starting...SOOOOO close, it really wants to start, but it doesn't.
Here is a video. Anyone know what the issue might be?
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What were you pointing to in the engine bay at the end?

What's the fuel pressure?
Did you try starting with starting fluid? like 02greens10 said above, that eliminates if it's a fuel problem.
Are you getting spark? that's another easy check.

Did you have the car running before on the 7730 ECM?

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Fieroless

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IT STARTED!!!!!

Video to come after work.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
congrats. Can you post the vid to youtube? photobucket always makes my comp crash. I cant figure out why.
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations, Matt!!!! I knew you could do it!!! Can't wait to hear!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!!!

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoooHooooooooo......... Congrats! Glad to hear it's running.

Pat

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I'll post the video's here, but I have a few things to say first.

The problem was, I had the wires going to the exact opposite plugs, and my friend (who I couldn't live without..he has helped me every step of the way. He is in the second video) pointed that out, and showed me on his Fiero. So then with the help of another battery, it started. Not very well at first, but it got better soon. Now I have good news and bad news.

Good news: It runs and sounds (cept for the exhaust leaks which i need to fix) great!! First few minutes it was at (or over a tiny bit) 80 PSI of oil pressure . Most of the stuff works, alternator, water pump, oil pump, rad. fan (coolant got warm!) RIch-lean guage works good, Injetors all seem to work. When i let i t idle after the break in, and revved it a lil bit, it sounds awesome, even with 2 nasty exhaust leaks.

Bad news: Eariler today I found out that the TV cable came loose inside the transmission, so I don't know what to do about that. and when I first got it started, i heard a gear grinding sound and my dad told my wheels were spinning...and the transmission was in park. I shut the car off, re-started it, no more grinding sounds and the wheels didn't move, so I thought thats good. Then I ran the engine for 20 mintues at 2500 RPM, then let it idle. After i started letting it idle, I shifted into reverse. Nothing. Drive, same thing. One, same thing!!! It was moving the shift lever, but nothing was happening! Wheels didn't move, engine RPM didn't change, nothing. So I thought oh great NOW WHAT?! I'm sick of 4T60 problems. If I have to drop the cradle again for this stupid automatic, I'm almost considering putting in a munie 4-speed back in it. And while running the engine I found out I had a few more fluid leaks then I thought at first. Mainly a trans line and the oil pump drive O-ring (common area of a oil leak.) Plus the Blue wire loom I have been using was melting near the exhaust. And my temp guage doesn't work.

More bad news then good it seems like, but oh well.
Here are the videos.

BTW:It sounds like crap because its at 2500 RPM and it was too loud for the camera. I'll get another video if it idling later.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-04-2010).]

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats man! That is quite an achievement, ironing out the bugs should not be too bad.

I can't offer too much advice about the tranny, never had anything but manuals but I totally feel for the loom melting. I just redid all the wiring in my turbo car cause it was melting bad. I wrapped it in self stick reflective heat stuff and it appears to be working really well.

Good luck, You'll have her on the road in no time.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that totally sucks, that trans has been a bad omen for you this whole time. Could you pull a cooler line and verify that the fluid is moving?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Man that totally sucks, that trans has been a bad omen for you this whole time. Could you pull a cooler line and verify that the fluid is moving?

Yes I know the fluid is moving because one of my new lines is leaking.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I know the fluid is moving because one of my new lines is leaking.

where is it leaking from? When i swapped my engine the trans leaked like a mofo! I thought it was the axel seal so i replaced them. Then i realised it was a friggen hose clamp . You might want to try a little teflon tape around the threads.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news! The transmission does work, it moves in both reverse and drive just fine, I guess it just didn't want to work yesterday. The TV cable is still a problem, though. It idled at the beginning but later in the day it needed throttle to keep it running, or else it'll die. Found out that some things are too close to the exhaust. Plastic likes to melt. The headers take up a good bit of more room. I got code 35 and 43 from the computer, too. Great Oil pressure though, about 60 PSI when hot. So much so that the O-ring for the oil pump drive can't hold it all in, and has been leaking.
Video:
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats going to be one heck of a nice Fiero when you are done!! It's lucky to have you as a owner.
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are those headman exhaust tips?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job Matt! That sounds really good (or as good as it can sound on laptop speakers ). I am concerned about the tranny though. Grinding, not shifting, then all of a sudden working alright?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

are those headman exhaust tips?

Nope, Hooker tips.

Great job Matt! That sounds really good (or as good as it can sound on laptop speakers ). I am concerned about the tranny though. Grinding, not shifting, then all of a sudden working alright?

No, I think its ok (or at least I hope). I have since asked my mom, and she said she thought she saw the wheels move on the first start up, I think it was just human error. I blame myself because I was in a rush because I needed to get ready to go to work ASAP.

EDIT: I just figured out why it was grinding on first start up. I didn't fill the torque converter so i tried to engage drive while it was still filling with fluid.

Tomorrow me and my dad are flying to Chicago for a few days to pick up my dad's new Fiero from Paul Vargus(sp). A 86 GT. I'm kinda mad too, because its Gold also.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Oh, here is another video that I took after that last one. Sorry if you can't understand me.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the oil pres is 60 hot??????? jeeeeezzzeeeeeeee. Maybe the computer needs to learn its self. i dunno :shrug:
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87antuzzi

11151 posts
Member since Feb 2009
4 am bump? you better be working on it
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't fill the torque converter so i tried to engage drive while it was still filling with fluid.

Ahhh...I didn't even think of that, I took for granted that you filled it before you mated the engine and trans back together. And you blamed the 4T60. Shame on you.

Tomorrow me and my dad are flying to Chicago for a few days to pick up my dad's new Fiero from Paul Vargus(sp). A 86 GT. I'm kinda mad too, because its Gold also.

Good for him! Will you guys be building a swap for that one as well?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good for him! Will you guys be building a swap for that one as well?

Ha, maybe.
Just picked it up today, im here on a computer in a hotel in Chicago. It's in good shape, i'm jealous that it has ZERO rust. None. Zip. The floor pan drain plugs are spotless. It was a Flordia car, as you can tell with the Silver roof and Gold on the rest of the car. Needs a little work, not too much, its a strong runner, but I think the clutch pedal is bent, as it level with the brake pedal. The tilt pawls in the steering column are also loose. And a few other minor things. And I drove it! But there is a bad part about all this. I want a 4-speed manual now, that was so fun.

But back on topic, I ordered a ALDL cable and software so I can "Scan" the engine data so I can figure out why it's running so rich/idling bad. Getting closer! Oh, and today I met a famous guy in the Fiero world. Paul Vargyus. He is the guy who sold my dad his new Fiero.

And 60 PSI isn't bad for a semi-warm engine that's brand new.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-05-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that man has one hell of a history in the Fiero world. How cool that your dad bought his car from him. I would have almost had him sign the dash like Carroll Shelby.

I feel your pain on the clutch pedal, my daughter's pedal is bent at the pivot point, and does not engage the clutch all of the way.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock