Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32631 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well folks, I think this thread is coming to a close. It's been a great learning experience for me, it truly has. Started when I was 17 with my first cradle drop and all, to where I am at today. But honestly in my view, its still just a 3.4 V6. Which leaks three different things. Since we found out our 88 coupe was a parts car, we all have been un-sure what to do. But at the end, if all goes well, I will be putting the 4.9/Auto in my car. It's almost ready to go onto my cradle. I did try to sell my car earlier, I admit it openly. I was frustrated with it. It was foolish of me. This time, it's not my car, its the engine. I was more frustrated with the engine/trans then anything else, anyone who reads this thread would know what I went through, and all the mistakes I had made. Go ahead, accuse me of changing my mind too much, I do it too often for even my liking. And it has to stop, and this is where I'm stopping at. Always was a V8 muscle car guy, so this is as close as I can get right now. I picked going with the auto because no stock fiero manual transmission is geared correctly for the low-end torque of the 4.9, only tranny is the Isuzu, and I will not ever use one of those. I'll break it in a second. And I don't want to deal with the flywheel/clutch issues either. So Automatic it is, and good MPG for a V8 goes along with that.

The only reason the 3.4 took so long was the cost of rebuilding the motor was done in payments, and when i broke the transmission case the first time.

I will always be working on my Fiero, just in different areas now.

Understand its difficult to make 4.9's look "clean", even more so with my tiny budget. I focused on this the first time, and guess what. It's filthy again anyway. Lol.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9 has a lot of hoses and lines, but it can be made to look very clean and well organized.

Send me an email and I will reply with pictues of my install in the Formula.

Joe
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok everyone, I would like to thank all that have supported me in this thread and outside this thread during the first major automotive experience of my life, it was a great learning experience for me, and it created memories I will never forget (trust me), but this thread has come to a close. I pulled the 3.4 today, and pulled it off the cradle. It's now for sale. I started my 4.9/4t60e swap thread, which I hope to have going very soon. Here is the link
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085278.html
Again, Thank you all.
-Matt
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
. I picked going with the auto because no stock fiero manual transmission is geared correctly for the low-end torque of the 4.9,

You know you can change the gearing by altering the tire diameter right? Anyways, good luck to you and you have a PM!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

You know you can change the gearing by altering the tire diameter right? Anyways, good luck to you and you have a PM!

Sure, and that won't be nearly enough to offset a 3.65 final when the best in the 4.9's case for both performance and economy is 3.06-3.33.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm so happy I rid of this 3.4, I did a piss poor job on it. I found at least 6 bolts so far missing or loose. The coolant leak most likely was the fact that a wireloom mounting clip was wedged in between the water pump and timing cover. Its bad, and don't even get me started with the wiring harness.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am bumping this thread for people who may have missed it, to show what I have been though, and my experience with the 3.4. Not a good one. Partly my learning curve, yes, but still.

It proves you can start with a beautiful engine and transmission, but that doesn't mean they will actually work like they should, and in my case, they never did.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-01-2012).]

Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really good thread. You still around Matt?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock