Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32631 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update.
Here is what I have been doing the past 2 days:

Love how the plug wires came out. Not as happy with the cruise control.
IP: Logged
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh, just get another blue wireloom for it and it won't be bad.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Got some stuff done recently, even though it has been really cold and windy outside, so I didn't get as much done as I wanted but oh well.
Got and installed my new 94 Blazer MC, and ran #2 welding cable along the bottom of the car.

Made and installed a shim for my auto-dimming mirror, so now it doesn't wobble anymore.

Today I installed a FM modulator and put my whole radio back together. I put the FM modulator where the old cruise control box was, so you can't see it.

Hooked up my 7730 computer to the car, still have a few wires to run and finish up for the A/C pressure sensor (which i still need to get)

And here is a shot of what my engine looks like as of today. Installed my dog bone (yes I know its red), so that moved the engine forward a bit, and tightned all 4 cradle bolts.

Here is the exhaust piece I still need to install.

Only a a few more things and i can fire it up! Exhaust, battery cable, and trans cooler lines! Oh and I need to get my chip back from Sinister Performance.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-21-2010).]

Tzone21

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tzone21Send a Private Message to Tzone21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet build! After you get it running/driving you may have to spruce up your exterior a lil bit, cuz right now its pretty tough to be worthy of a engine that nice!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tzone21:

Sweet build! After you get it running/driving you may have to spruce up your exterior a lil bit, cuz right now its pretty tough to be worthy of a engine that nice!

Don't remind me. Paint isn't that great right now. I plan on getting wheels, a hood scoop of some type, side scoops of some type, and then paint.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one of the cleanest installs I have ever seen. Now will come the fun part, keeping it that nice! When are you coming to PA to help me get my car on the road? I have a 7730 here that I want to install, so you can work on that while I finish the dash swap. Are you planning to drive your car to MN this summer? If you are, I have been thinking about driving my car out as well, and maybe I could meet up with you in OH. That way if something happens to my car on the road, I have your knowledge on hand to help me get going again.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

That is one of the cleanest installs I have ever seen. Now will come the fun part, keeping it that nice! When are you coming to PA to help me get my car on the road? I have a 7730 here that I want to install, so you can work on that while I finish the dash swap. Are you planning to drive your car to MN this summer? If you are, I have been thinking about driving my car out as well, and maybe I could meet up with you in OH. That way if something happens to my car on the road, I have your knowledge on hand to help me get going again.

Yea, I almost don't want to drive it because i don't want to get it dirty. Actually my dad suggested that when I get my car going on the road again, too take a shorter trip first to see how it does, and then the 900+ mile trip to MN. So yea, I'm up for that. I can do the 7730 swap (did it once already), it isn't too hard, you just need to get a digital EGR if you still want one, and get the MEM-CAL reprogrammed by Ryan at Sinister Performance (great guy). the rest is repinning wires, I didn't cut any stock wires at the terminals, I have a tool that I bought that I can bring with me that pops the pin out and lets a new one go in.
I think we should meet somewhere in OH and cruise down together, in case either of our cars breaks down.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-22-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update.
Today I installed the rear brakes and installed the SS brake lines in the rear also (front later). I also got my battery wiring finished, and my car is now alive! Turned the radio on, etc etc. That tang-band sub still works great! I do have a electrical issue that i haven't had before, the ajar light flickers on and off randomly,even when the door is closed, and some other weird things. And I got to see my tail-lights in action again. But the best part was, i turned the key to start for a split-second, and I heard the starter motor move a little bit. All i need to do now is add coolant (lost a hose clamp..need to get one) and ATF (need to make cooler lines) and finish/fix exhaust and then I can try to start her up!
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Update.
Today I installed the rear brakes and installed the SS brake lines in the rear also (front later). I also got my battery wiring finished, and my car is now alive! Turned the radio on, etc etc. That tang-band sub still works great! I do have a electrical issue that i haven't had before, the ajar light flickers on and off randomly,even when the door is closed, and some other weird things. And I got to see my tail-lights in action again. But the best part was, i turned the key to start for a split-second, and I heard the starter motor move a little bit. All i need to do now is add coolant (lost a hose clamp..need to get one) and ATF (need to make cooler lines) and finish/fix exhaust and then I can try to start her up!

I bet you cant wait!! I remember getting my car alive again after a major overhaul. I was just excited to hook up the battery and see the dome light on again.

BTW- Your the man Matt I am really impressed!!

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 03-24-2010).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ajar light might be from the hood or the trunk when the sensor is not firmly set release the sensor.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I submitted an article about my build for the April newsletter for the Cleveland Fiero Club. And guess what, It made the front cover. I gave several pictures from my collection, so those were used as well.
One of the editors wrote a comment next to this picture:

"Is that a rented welder? Come on dad buy the guy a welder"
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oooooooooohhhhhh!!!!! The day draws near that the beast gets to roar!
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. everybody.

Start the countdown clock.

Matt's gonna fire this thing up soon.

I am on the edge of my chair, waiting to see what happens next.

Really cool build thread for someone so young.

Way to go Matt.

You, are indeed a "Fiero-holic"

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6
Original White paint, with Sunroof
3.65 M17 4 speed = F.U.N. in the Sun.
Winter not withstanding..........

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks awesome man! I cant wait to see how it runs? Ill bet your on the edge of your seat.

Quick question though I do not see the distributor hold down clamp in those pictures. It should be installed holding in the plug. I would hate for the plug to work its way loose and puke oil all over your clean engine or worse prevent the oil pump from turning and hurting some bearings.

Congrats!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

It looks awesome man! I cant wait to see how it runs? Ill bet your on the edge of your seat.

Quick question though I do not see the distributor hold down clamp in those pictures. It should be installed holding in the plug. I would hate for the plug to work its way loose and puke oil all over your clean engine or worse prevent the oil pump from turning and hurting some bearings.

Congrats!

Sharp eye, In that photo it wasn't on yet because I was using a distributor base that I cut up to "pre-oil" the engine. That hold down piece is now firmly in place.

Im not on the edge of my seat right now, as it snowed yesterday and its still cold outside, plus I am currently sick and I feel like crap. and I work all weekend, like usual.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-26-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a video camera? I'd really like to see / hear this car run. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who does.

I like how you've cleaned up the wiring, hoses, cables, etc. Looks nice and clean, much nicer than the "rat's nest" in a stock 2.8 engine bay.

Why is this thread NOT in the Construction Zone?
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt I found the mounting bracket for the "4cyld" style computer. Ill stop over possibly monday before I go out to my Fiero and drop it off. Car looks awesome! I am still looking for the machined front rotors/hubs.

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well glad the dizzy hold down is in place. I just did the DIS swap so I am still keenly aware of what needs to be done. Please post a first start of that bad boy!

You will not be disappointed and will be able to take so much more pride in your ride than most of the people out there. Thats such an awesome feeling.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, don't worry, I have a video camera and I will record and post the first startup of this thing. Although if I remembered correctly, the quality wasn't the best.
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job Matt. I'm gonna have to come to cleveland and mingle with you cleveland fiero guys.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm cheering you on buddy, and I'm on pins and needles for the beginning of your dream to start.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been able to do anything this weekend due to working 26 hours this weekend, and the weather has been crappy outside as of late. My goal is still to start it up by April 1st.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-28-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't been able to do anything this weekend due to working 26 hours this weekend, and the weather has been crappy outside as of late. My goal is still to start it up by April 1st.

I think you should come to the GM Nationals with me in Carlisle this year on May 15th. It's a great event, as well as swap meet, and you could stay at my place if you want Friday night.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think you should come to the GM Nationals with me in Carlisle this year on May 15th. It's a great event, as well as swap meet, and you could stay at my place if you want Friday night.

Isn't that event June 26-28th?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isn't that event June 26-28th?

Yes it is, forgive my blonde moment.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, Matt. Coming along great.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes it is, forgive my blonde moment.

I'm there then.
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill be there if I can get my Fiero going and running correctly! That means no leaks of any kind. Matt Ill be over with that computer bracket. I think i might have given those hubs away to someone else as i couldnt find them. Im off at 3:30 today.
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work, great build thread...very impressive!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was OK until a certain event (more in a minute). I fixed the wiring to my mirror so that works now, I wired in my narrowband fuel mix gauge, got a clamp for a coolant hose that I was missing, and bought an adapter piece for my trans cooling lines. That piece wasn't the right size so I'll go back to Napa tomorrow to get something different.
I added 2 gallons of coolant, 1 in the thermostat, and 1 in the radiator. What happens next? I find coolant DRIPPING at a good rate from under the water pump. GRRRR.
Just when I was so close too something happens. MAN.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stuff happens, don't get discouraged. You are so close, and resealing that water pump is not a huge chore. I just changed mine out last weekend in about 2 hours or so.
PFF
System Bot
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will get it done Matt!! A water pump is something you can do in your sleep compared to the rest of this project.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well ladies and gentlemen, I attempted but failed to start it today. The water pump issue was just 2 loose bolts, so I filled the coolant, and found out my coolant overflow bottle leaks when you fill past a certain point. Made the trans cooling lines today, and put in a bunch of Fluid in that too. Put the exhaust on (for the most part), and tried to start it. All that happened was the starter kept on clicking and if you kept it to "start", after a few seconds the engine side of the C500 would start to smoke. At first I thought it didn't have enough battery power but that wasn't the problem. Got under the car, and tugged at the battery cable for the starter and it popped right out. Whoops. That, and the copper terminal connector was loose. I had the whole power to the car going from the starter to the power thing under the C500. Is this wrong? I also realized I don't have a engine to frame ground either. I will address these issues tomorrow, and hopefully, I'll get it to crank over and maybe even start!
I have video but I'm sure people don't wanna see it.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-30-2010).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your getting there!!

As for the overflow bottle. I have a used one you can have, but the shipping and time for me to pull it probably won't help you much.

But lucky for you, the Fiero Store sells new ones for only $25!

http://fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=66923

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 03-30-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Sounds like your getting there!!

As for the overflow bottle. I have a used one you can have, but the shipping and time for me to pull it probably won't help you much.

But lucky for you, the Fiero Store sells new ones for only $25!

Yea I know they sell one. I was planning to buy one anyway because of the tab missing at the top.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-30-2010).]

Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt, I've been lurking in your thread now for a few weeks, good luck, youre almost there, everything looks really good! I am about to build up a 3.4 myself, so I'm keeping a close eye on yours! :-D
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone, I have an announcement. This whole project is now called, "The Gold Rush Project", and my Fiero is now named "Gold Rush". Much thanks to batousai666 for the name idea. It is the start of a new beginning! See the updated first post of this Thread.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW !
Very cool indeed !

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in the construction zone now . Lets here this puppy fire!
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the well deserved move to the construction zone!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock