Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32632 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I started porting my intake! And the only tools i used where 2 files, because that's all I really have, more time then money. Took about 3-4 hours to do those 3 ports.
Not really that pretty, but it won't be seen.

YES, I finally own a page! I own page 5!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-05-2009).]

IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd pressure test that intercooler if I was you.

------------------
--1984 3800 Turbo / 5speed
--11.8 @ 126mph

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my Crank today!!!!
Good news is that the journals didn't need to be ground, so they just polished them up. Bad news is that when I was disassembling the engine, I destroyed the crank pulley threads with the balancer puller. Don't know how but I did. The engine shop made a steel insert and threaded it in with lock-tight. A $225 mistake.
It Looks awesome though!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-06-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mattwa......Gasket match that intake. Use a sharpie to figure out what you need to take out. Gasket matching will assure you that all three intakes have smooth airflow through them. When I put my 3.1 stroker together, I just threw the intake on. I ran out of rpm's at 4,500. When I needed to fix my lower intake gasket leak a few months back, I went ahead and gasket matched my intakes. She now pulls strong up until 5,500 rpm's. Notceable difference in my shift points, and a new found joy during the onramp blasts.

Tony

Edit: Looking good.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Mattwa......Gasket match that intake. Use a sharpie to figure out what you need to take out. Gasket matching will assure you that all three intakes have smooth airflow through them. When I put my 3.1 stroker together, I just threw the intake on. I ran out of rpm's at 4,500. When I needed to fix my lower intake gasket leak a few months back, I went ahead and gasket matched my intakes. She now pulls strong up until 5,500 rpm's. Notceable difference in my shift points, and a new found joy during the onramp blasts.

Tony

Edit: Looking good.

Thats what i'm doing. Going to gasket match them all!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's update-My family and I POR-15'ed the cradle, A-arms, and knuckles. They look loads better now. Tomorrow I'll do the first attempt of mounting the tranny on the cradle.

Sorry about the crappy pictures, their wasn't enough light in the closed garage.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-09-2009).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well dude. Looks like you might have a coppy car with me and my 86. Its not going to be as extensive as yours but im gona do a 3.4 swap with a turbo as well. Only diffrence is i might mate a 5 speed to mine.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Well dude. Looks like you might have a coppy car with me and my 86. Its not going to be as extensive as yours but im gona do a 3.4 swap with a turbo as well. Only diffrence is i might mate a 5 speed to mine.

Yea I'm doing a lot of little things at the same time, like fog lights, auto-dim mirror, digital cruise, bigger brakes, moving like every single vaccum line, etc. Are you going to swap in the 7730 computer?

But I don't think it will be a total copy cat, unless you paint yours gold. :P
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what i did today! Officially started putting everything back together. Put in all Poly bushings, temp. mounted the tranny (its still off-center somehow), put 80% of the rear suspension to together, etc. Was pretty busy today.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-09-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top.
fierofury

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Matt!
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea I'm doing a lot of little things at the same time, like fog lights, auto-dim mirror, digital cruise, bigger brakes, moving like every single vaccum line, etc. Are you going to swap in the 7730 computer?

But I don't think it will be a total copy cat, unless you paint yours gold. :P

Well im looking at painting it a copper so close enough. But i got the pistons cranking so the engine is all good to go. No 3.4 for now

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Well im looking at painting it a copper so close enough. But i got the pistons cranking so the engine is all good to go. No 3.4 for now

Aw, thats too bad. I should be getting mine this week, hopefully.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
This is not fair! I called Weber Racing (place where my engine is being done) today and they said they bored and honed the block, but they still need to replace the cam bearings, and such bearings are in the rebuild kit, which they are hopefully going to order today. If not, they will tomorrow. It's this close *shows with fingers* to being done, but it's still not ready to go! It might be pushed to next monday or tuesday, I told them I kind wanted it this week. I also told them that if I at least got my block back on like friday, I would be happy. We'll see how it goes
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They should be able to get bearings with no problem. And they only take about an hour to install. I remember those days working with a machinist, they pretty much do things on their schedule and you just have to wait.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

They should be able to get bearings with no problem. And they only take about an hour to install. I remember those days working with a machinist, they pretty much do things on their schedule and you just have to wait.

That's good to hear. The only things left to do are order the rebuild kit, R&R the cam bearings, and press in the wrist pins. The engine has been there since early July, so i kinda want it back.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look what i did today! Officially started putting everything back together. Put in all Poly bushings, temp. mounted the tranny (its still off-center somehow), put 80% of the rear suspension to together, etc. Was pretty busy today.

Similar Problem
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Similar Problem

Sweet, thanks! I didn't see that before. i just might have to do that.
blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you putting this together. You did have forged pistons put in with the rebuild right?

I am glad to see you're doing such a nice job on reassembling the whole car. I am hoping to begin trying to put together the Turbo for my 3.4 beginning February. It's been 9 month's later then when I wanted to start, but oh well. Keep up the good work, and glad to see your close to getting it together.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkpearl:

Good to see you putting this together. You did have forged pistons put in with the rebuild right?

I am glad to see you're doing such a nice job on reassembling the whole car. I am hoping to begin trying to put together the Turbo for my 3.4 beginning February. It's been 9 month's later then when I wanted to start, but oh well. Keep up the good work, and glad to see your close to getting it together.

Yea I wish. I can't afford nor find any forged oversize 3.4 pistons. Except custom made, which would be $$$.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be getting my engine back on December 4th. Had money issues and a mis-communication.

Plus, I think it would be best if I got it in and running before installing the turbo system, that way it would be easier to pin-point problems at the beginning. And it will give me a chance to save up for neat turbo parts!
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my engine and parts back yesterday!!! and started working on it (drilling and tapping the holes for the starter with Rodney's Jig). I'll get you all pictures tomorrow, since I have to go to work soon (again), and its cold in the garage since the heater isn't on. The outside of the block still has old paint and rust on it, what you do think the best way to clean would be?

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-05-2009).]

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine degreaser and a wire brush.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2009 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picture time!
Here I'm removing the old freeze plugs.

Some pictures before i cleaned it with hot water and PB Blaster.

After I cleaned it and as it sits now.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
And this week I hope to build it to at least a long block. Depends on how things go.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good...
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep up the good work!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the crank in today.

I have a question, were the red circle is, is usually were the knock sensor is, correct? Well the sensor i have doesn't fit there (too small of a hole) so is it ok to move it to the other side of the block?

And I have some oil gallery plugs left over...where did i miss one, if I did indeed miss one?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got pistons, cam, and oilpump on today.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Installed the heads, rockers, lifters, and push rods tonight. I did not set the valve lash yet so that's why the rockers look like they are sitting on valve stems weird. I'm waiting until i can rent a gear puller and pull off the old timing gear on the crank, so I can put the chain on and time it correctly. Starting to look like an engine!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-08-2009).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mattwa,

Looking good, budda.............

PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work, Matt! Looking good brother. Can't wait to see this at completion.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Great work, Matt! Looking good brother. Can't wait to see this at completion.

Hopefully you will see it in person one day! (when its running of course)
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hopefully you will see it in person one day! (when its running of course)

You can count on it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't get much done today. Cleaned some parts with lacquer thinner, worked great!

Would anyone like to donate money to the "Matt needs money for his project" fund for Christmas? Only because I'm not old enough to drink, so you can't "Buy me a beer". Although you could but i think my parents wouldn't like that idea.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-10-2009).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should spend some of that hard earned cash on a die grinder (about 20-30 bux for a cheap one) and a porting kit (also about 20-30 bucks). That would be the cheapest best way to port your intakes.

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 66# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

You should spend some of that hard earned cash on a die grinder (about 20-30 bux for a cheap one) and a porting kit (also about 20-30 bucks). That would be the cheapest best way to port your intakes.

That's a good idea, and I'll think about that next time, but I already did all my porting with my 2 files.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt, you're doin' an awesome job on this. Can't wait to see it with that hair dryer mounted.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pointless post removed.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-10-2009).]

FallenShadow 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FallenShadow 2m4Send a Private Message to FallenShadow 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good man.. Keep it up.. Cant wait to it done!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock