Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32612 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you need any help feel free to drop me a line. All this week I am on vacation and working on my swap.
IP: Logged
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well today I went to my fiero to find it was totally dead, the battery showed 0 volts. So I took it in and had it replaced under warranty. Then, I put the rear of the fiero on wheel-stands and removed the ECM and the ECM wiring from the cabin and pulled it down to the ground. I started removing the old "tape" (worst idea ever), and saw some parts of the wireloom melted. But to get the harness away from the exhaust, I need to move the coolant tube back there out of the way, because there is no way i have any room to slip all that harness over and under it. So i drain the coolant for that tube. That's as far as I gotten today, since i need to leave for work again, but something is better then nothing. I also bought RD's Recall harness tape, the real stuff, which I got in the mail today. Even if the ECM is at fault, the wiring needs help bad.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so, today I wrapped my main harness with the good tape, and while I was at it, fixed some grounds. I needed to do what I did, since the loom was melted pretty badly, but it didn't make any difference, the engine still runs like crap, super rich. I'll swap out the ECM and see if that makes any difference.

To get my mind off the engine, after that I cleaned and installed the black carpet Hulki sent me. Looks great, thanks Hulki!

After that, I started installing my rear sway bar, which is just a old front sway bar from a forum member. Didn't get to finish it, but I will tomorrow.

And my here's a picture of my current nice and pretty paperweight.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-18-2010).]

fiero al

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ment to ask you this earlier but i wasn't on the forums yet but what car did the 4 speed trans come out of?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero al:

I ment to ask you this earlier but i wasn't on the forums yet but what car did the 4 speed trans come out of?

That very 4T60 came out of a 1991 Chevy Lumina Euro with the 3.1.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Hey everyone, look at my thread in Off Topic.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/075468.html
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Well i pulled a computer from a 90 Pontiac 6000, and put my chip in. It seems to run better. I adjusted that throttle plate screw that you shouldn't touch, and it doesn't die anymore when I put it in reverse or drive. Tomorrow I'll finish the sway-bar, and then take it for a drive.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday was both a great day, and then a horrible day. I got the sway-bar finished, and drove the car. It runs quite a bit better, but the trans still was not right. It didn't like to engage park at times, and it slipped when up shifting, and it nearly didn't downshift at all. I drove it too work yesterday, though. Then, when driving home from work, of course after a huge fight with my girlfriend, my trans cooler line hose popped off, and dumped all the fluid out, all over my car the underside of my car. I barely made it home, because it ran out of fluid 1-2 miles before I got home. By the time I got home, it wouldn't shift, or do anything, it was totally dead. This was 3:30am by the way. When i got up today, I put the hose back on best i could, then filled it with fluid. It shifts reverse to drive, etc, now, but that really didn't help it all at, seems worse with its shifting, and i can just feel it eating up all my engine's power. If i turn a corner and then press the gas a little hard, it acts just like a really worn out clutch, it revs up, and doesn't really go anywhere faster, and then the car starts shaking.

So I don't know what to do right now. I know there's no way its making it to Carlisle, I'm sick of automatic problems, I have been having issues with them this whole time. I think I want to change to a 4 speed manual.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

If not for bad luck, we would have no luck at all my friend. I think I would start looking for another 4T60. BTW, do you still need that ECM? I held off on sending it out after I saw that you swapped another in.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Matt,

If not for bad luck, we would have no luck at all my friend. I think I would start looking for another 4T60. BTW, do you still need that ECM? I held off on sending it out after I saw that you swapped another in.

No, I don't need that ECM, thanks though. I really do think I want to change to a muncie 4-speed.
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even though it looks like your car might not make Carlisle, will you still be there?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I have an update. Saturday was my Grad Party, had a great time, displayed my Fiero in the front yard, and I took some nice pictures of it. The guy who rebuilt my 4T60 the two times before just happened to stop by, so I asked him for help. According to him, and others that were at my party that have been into racing for a while, have said it was still ok. The guy drove it (with me in it of course), and said it is slipping when you hit the gas while cruising (really obvious), the torque converter does lock up, and the shift points are good. It's 1500RPM at 50MPH by the way, which is awesome. Anything with heavy throttle causes slipping issues i think, don't know why at this time, but he did say adjust the vacuum modulator for a harder shift, and see how that works. And when you rev the engine at idle, in park, and let it decelerate, there's a very strange whining/grinding ish sound coming someplace from the transmission, could be from the toque converter area. The sound is really hard to describe, and it goes away when the idle settles. I think it makes a similar sound when you accelerate from a stop, not sure.

And Andy, yes for sure we are both going, I really want to take my car, but i don't think I'd trust it in its current state. But if we not taking my car, we are taking my dad's GT.

My front bumper needs help, its been in like three accidents.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to Carsile this weekend, had a great time, met a lot of awesome people, got burnt, saw a lot of neat Fiero's, but I didn't take my car due to transmission issues. Hopefully they will be fixed soon. The problem is the transmission is not getting enough internal pressure when you pull on the TV cable, a valve must be stuck, so the guy who rebuilt the 4T60 and myself are going to pop the side cover off, and see whats up.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-27-2010).]

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ridgelandbaseball:

See pic of mattwa getting his high school diploma on Wed. 5/26. HOORAY!! HE MADE IT!!

God damn u r tall lol.

Anyhow, have u got those hood vents on yet? And is the 3.4 PR in yet?

And also, I like those exhaust tips on that red notchie gt.. What is it?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

And is the 3.4 PR in yet?

Where did you come from, page 1?

I ordered a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, as I'm pretty sure that is why I'm running rich.
I also put on a different steering wheel that came in the mail today. It was really cheap, so the leather is not the greatest, but its ok. This is the start of my Black/Tan interior theme. I might add blue back light to the gauges in the future.

And yesterday, I finished the trim plate when the switch and jack for the FM modulator i have where the old cruise module was. They both came out great! With the jack, I can stick my ipod touch right into it, and it holds my iPod at the perfect angle for me too use and see the screen.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-29-2010).]

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I didn't come from pg 1 lol. Just skimmed thru, couldn't tell cuz ur usin the 2.8 accessories
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I didn't come from pg 1 lol. Just skimmed thru, couldn't tell cuz ur usin the 2.8 accessories

Well yes, but technically, it can't be a 2.8 because i switched to DIS, and a 2.8 is not setup for that.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you get it running right soon. You helped inspire my dad that a 4 speed auto is the way to go when we swap(he was the guy tending BOH's and PK's vendor spot), although seeing all the 3800SC's make him want to go that route. lol
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another fun filled Fiero day. I locked my only set of keys in the car, so i drilled out the lock cylinder to get in. In the process i took off the door side molding, and of course all the clips broke. Yay.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Another fun filled Fiero day. I locked my only set of keys in the car, so i drilled out the lock cylinder to get in. In the process i took off the door side molding, and of course all the clips broke. Yay.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. You could have just pulled you window out far enough to stick your hand and unlock it.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2010 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris is correct. You can easily steal a Fiero. Man, i wish that I lived near enough to you to come help you out. Stay strong. It WILL be worth it in the end. You already have shown more talent, and conviction than I ever have.

Tony
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. You could have just pulled you window out far enough to stick your hand and unlock it.

Yea, i know what i did wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but its all good. I didn't want to break that window. my door lock was messed up anyways, plus this gives me a good excuse to put in new dew wipes and fix my mirror! I got a new lock set coming my way.
I guess you learn stuff the hard way.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-02-2010).]

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did u ever put that hood vent on that was shown on an earlier page?

And also, why did u throw out the idea for turbo'ing the 3.4??
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa: So I don't know what to do right now. I know there's no way its making it to Carlisle, I'm sick of automatic problems, I have been having issues with them this whole time. I think I want to change to a 4 speed manual.

If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, wait until you have to replace a clutch, or deal with finicky clutch hydraulics... LOL.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did u ever put that hood vent on that was shown on an earlier page?

And also, why did u throw out the idea for turbo'ing the 3.4??

No, I haven't put them on yet. Still have them sitting right here on my desk though.

Eh, I figured it would be too much to deal with/figure out doing a engine rebuild/swap my first time. I was right, its still a handfull with all the stuff I changed.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, wait until you have to replace a clutch, or deal with finicky clutch hydraulics... LOL.

That is true, but i think it would be worth the increase in usable power to the wheels (stupid torque converter), and a decrease in weight of about 80 pounds, and lots more fun. The only thing i would miss will be the 4th gear of the 4T60, going 1600 RPM at 55MPH is really nice.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any particular reason you want a 4-speed rather than a 5-speed? The extra gear in the 5-speed will be really helpful if you frequently drive over 50 MPH.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any particular reason you want a 4-speed rather than a 5-speed? The extra gear in the 5-speed will be really helpful if you frequently drive over 50 MPH.

I agree it would be, but I really like the gearing of the 3.65 muncie better then the Getrag. Holds gears out longer, 1st isn't so short.
Second reason is i have a free 4-speed for me to use once we replace it with a Isuzu 5-speed in my Dad's GT.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Well yes, but technically, it can't be a 2.8 because i switched to DIS, and a 2.8 is not setup for that.

Doesn't that mean u could use the camaro intake then? And what else does switching to DIS do?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The DIS will generate stronger spark with more accurate timing than a distributer ignition. Plus, the module and coils in the DIS setup are more robust than the stock Fiero parts.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2010 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The DIS will generate stronger spark with more accurate timing than a distributor ignition. Plus, the module and coils in the DIS setup are more robust than the stock Fiero parts.

Yea, no more Ignition module dieing in a high school parking lot! ( Had to get my fiero towed that time.)
I didn't really know it created a stronger spark. Cool. I was just sick of the Distributor and It looks a lot cleaner with the DIS coil-pack where the battery went.

And I could have used the Camaro intake yes, but then i would have had to use the Camaro TB, which uses a totally different Idle Air Control system. And honestly I don't think its too much better then the stock 2.8 intake.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Well today, I installed my new Holley Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, seems to run better now! No black smoke when i rev the engine. Is still having idle issues sometimes though. And I also got new clips for the door ribbing and a new key lock set. I'll put those on in the near future.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered a bunch of stuff for my Fiero, including new speakers and LED lights. Plus DIY_Stu dew wipes. Can't wait to get them in the mail! Just need to time to install them, yesterday me and my dad dropped his GT's cradle to do a 4-speed to 5-speed swap. And I get to keep the old 4-speed!
fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did your dads 5 speed trans come in yet? i just wanted to know because i'm back from my trip and was wondering if you and your dad need help getting it ready. also, were you able to get the new water pump installed on your dads engine yet?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero al:

did your dads 5 speed trans come in yet? i just wanted to know because i'm back from my trip and was wondering if you and your dad need help getting it ready. also, were you able to get the new water pump installed on your dads engine yet?

Yep, its sitting in the garage. I gotta work all this week again, but you can stop over sometime and help if you want. He has his own build thread.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I went to pull-a-part, and scored some nice stuff from an 86 base coupe, a near perfect passenger seat, steering column, shifter cables, and complete pedal brackets with pedals for when I convert my car to manual. Rustiest Fiero i have ever seen.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. I have most of the parts I need (the rest are coming to me in the mail) to do a manual swap! Lots of stuff.
I bought new speakers and LED interior and trunk lights. The trunk light is the 9-LED version, wow is that bright! I still need to install the interior ones.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-19-2010).]

fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i've been thinking of getting a digital gauge system for my car but i could never find a good one. there is one on ebay but its really expensive. here is the link= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT this one ended but there is another one on this page that you can look at. i also just recently found this set from another camaro on ebay that looks good. its a better price but would need work to get it to fit. here is the link= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

[This message has been edited by fiero al (edited 07-14-2010).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

any updates?

I got my new DIY-Stu dew-wipes in the mail, along with new header wrap, a new flywheel, and a RAM clutch set! I installed the LED interior lights and two of the four speakers also. Those LED's are BRIGHT. Turn them on while driving during the night, and you get blinded for a second or two. New speakers are great too.

My fiero is going to be manual soon hopefully!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-15-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock