Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32633 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started my Fiero up for the first time in..i don't know how long! With about 6 inches of snow covering it too. After running for about 30 seconds and blipping the throttle a few times, it actually ran perfect! Steady smooth idle, exhaust leak sound disappeared, no SES light. I was kind of confused but no matter. It still runs! Also, I am considering changing to 1.6 roller rockers since I have a stock cam.

Page ownage!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-17-2011).]

IP: Logged
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got an update. Bought an already installed cav. digital dash in a guage pod from a member here for the 88 coupe, which is also getting a 4.9/4T60e after I get mine going in the spring/early summer.

And I finally got the linkage complete (for the most part) on my DTBI. It's not what I would have like, but honestly doing my original plan would have been to challenging or not strong enough, so I did the best compromise I could. I'd say it still looks good, as it has a external bar again, but it looks a LOT better then when I got it. The bar is below the intake, instead of in front of on top of it, which does in fact limit the throttle percentage to like 90-95% or so, but I don't think it will matter all that much since its flowing more then enough air at that time anyway. I'm glad I chopped the bottom off one of the TB's, because this system wouldn't have worked otherwise. I actually had to flip the TB's because of this, you'll see this in one of the pictures. Welds aren't the best I know, but they hold just fine. The pedal will require extra force however when its all in the Fiero, I'm sure of it. Lol.
As for vacuum lines, I bought a really nice blue vacuum distribution box from eBay to go along with this intake, and I got the whole thing figured out, plus an extra port or two in case I add something later that needs vacuum.
Ok, pictures!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, as you may or may not know I parted the LQ1 engine out, and I just finished ripping it apart today. I'm so glad I did not use it, because its pretty bad inside. First of, the cylinder walls are pitted from rust. one actually had rust! several pistons had side to side movement in the bore, too. The one that had rust, the piston rings were rusted inside the piston, they were flush! usually the stick out to seal to make compression
Then the main and rod bearings were toast, Like, when i removed the rod caps the bearing stayed on the crank journal!
The PO said he replaced the bearings. I think he did, just wrong. The bolts were much looser then I expected. and the bearings looked to be new, but they are now scratched and pitted from improper installation.

I can't get the timing cover off because the crank bolt is rounded, was like that when I got the engine.
The top end looks very good however, but i heard there is rarely i problem with those.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moved Fiero's and a truck around today, so I had to move my "Goldrush" Fiero. It looks so sad covered in ice. That and it DID NOT want to move from its spot. Now I really know the reason I don't drive it in the winter, the high performance clutch has little slip, it was tough moving it, but my mom and I got it moved.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-13-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Today I scrapped the LQ1 because it was junk on the block/bottom end. Along with some other things thrown in, I had 394lbs of scrap! Got a good amount of $$$ for all that too, so I'm happy. So long, LQ1! The rest has been sold to other PFF members, or kept for later use in a different application.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-12-2011).]

shaggyizzy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shaggyizzySend a Private Message to shaggyizzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read this whole thread in a day, it took me all day, lol....anyways can't wait to see that DTBI installed!!

GREAT looking car by the way, super jealous
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shaggyizzy:

I read this whole thread in a day, it took me all day, lol....anyways can't wait to see that DTBI installed!!

GREAT looking car by the way, super jealous

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-17-2011).]

shaggyizzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shaggyizzySend a Private Message to shaggyizzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you got some work to do!

Get it done so i can see it in person in Frazee!

Those wheels will really set it off, making the "Gold Rush" shine!!

[This message has been edited by shaggyizzy (edited 02-12-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like you got some work to do!

Get it done so i can see it in person in Frazee!

Those wheels will really set it off, making the "Gold Rush" shine!!

I agree they will, but like i said, I most likely won't be able to get them until late this year or early next year. The DBTI will be installed and working by then for sure though.

This summer once its running smoothly I would like to take it down the strip once or twice, and maybe get a dyno done. Does anyone know or have a recommendation of a dyno shop/place in the Northern Ohio area?
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you gonna run down thompson.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh, more info please? I no idea who that is, where that is, or what that is. Lol.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I got here a video I took my car running a few weeks ago. Thankfully 90% of that snow has melted by now, and its not as cold out but still.

The exhaust is louder in person but..that's still too quiet! Lol.
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
shaggyizzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shaggyizzySend a Private Message to shaggyizzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I got here a video I took my car running a few weeks ago. Thankfully 90% of that snow has melted by now, and its not as cold out but still.

The exhaust is louder in person but..that's still too quiet! Lol.

Looks and sounds great!! Lovin the blue
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks and sounds great!! Lovin the blue

Thanks! I like the blue too, but that intake is going away soon for this:

The Fiero intake looks really cool, I don't deny that. But it flows like total crap! Sorry, with me, that doesn't fly.

Anyway, today, I removed my digital cruse control from my Fiero. I never got it working, It clutters up the engine bay, and I rarely use it if it works anyway. Looks better without it there for sure. Putting it up for sale soon.
shaggyizzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shaggyizzySend a Private Message to shaggyizzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea that intake is going to be sick! You should try to engrave "Fiero" into the intake somehow, so it still looks half way factory

[This message has been edited by shaggyizzy (edited 02-15-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tstang429:

http://www.thompsonracewaypark.com/

Summit racing is closer to me then that is.
pocket dude 411

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pocket dude 411Send a Private Message to pocket dude 411Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Projects looking good. I like the dual intake idea. What you hoping it will run in the 1/4?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pocket dude 411:

Projects looking good. I like the dual intake idea. What you hoping it will run in the 1/4?

I'm not sure what it will run. I'm hoping for high 14's but you never know.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-01-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really didn't want to make another thread just for this so I'll just say it here:

I think I went over this in the past, but I wasn't a detailed about it. I have been asked by a few people as to why I chose the 3.65 4-speed muncie over a Getrag or a different 5-speed when i did my manual swap, because I had the option of doing that if I wanted to. I used the 4-speed for a few reason:
1. At the time it was a free transmission.
2. It is the best "performance" transmission out there for a Fiero that was a factory transmission. It does have a performance edge over the Getrag, with a slightly higher FDR and a taller 1st gear (best part IMHO). The Getrag is just a very good compromise between performance and economy with its 5th gear.
3. This one is the major reason. Parts for the 4-speed are everywhere and for the most part cheap, the transmissions themselves are a dime per dozen right now, they are everywhere. I even have a spare one sitting in my garage! Complete opposite situation for the Getrag, finding a good one without 200K miles is challenging and expensive, and replacement parts are very hard to find and expensive if you do find them. $80 for a replacement input shaft seal, if you can find one.
And 4. This could be a myth, but I believe its true, that the muncie 4-speed is a stronger transmission then the Getrag, don't get me wrong the Getrag is tough too compared to like an Isuzu, but just not as strong as the 4-speed. I think its because the diff bearings like to fail on it and that causes stress where the output shaft bearing rides and breaks that little section of the case off.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i got the Quad 4 ign module cover in the mail that I bought from eBay. Its going to be used as appearance cover in the middle of the DTBI. I plan to have someone mill off the "Quad 4" lettering, and mill in the word "Fiero", then sand-blast and powder-coat it blue, like my valve covers. I have the correct size threaded rod to mount it, I just need to figure out how to keep it upright pretty much, I think I should ask TT Slick. It's looking more and more like his!

BTW: The fiero's are now covered in 6 inches of snow again. Yay.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I want to take mine out of storage...

Nice pics Matt.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW: The fiero's are now covered in 6 inches of snow again. Yay.

Matt, not trying to knock you but what's the reasoning behind using parts that have dents in them?
Will they look better once sandblasted/coated?
Cheaper, availability, or something I'm missing?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Matt, not trying to knock you but what's the reasoning behind using parts that have dents in them?
Will they look better once sandblasted/coated?
Cheaper, availability, or something I'm missing?

I thought I stated this earlier, but I did not Actually make that intake. I bought it already built for a decent price, and I have re-engineered the throttle linkage, nothing else. Those dents had nothing to do with me.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must have missed that. No problems though, I'm more of a function over looks kind of person anyways...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scratch that, this project is still going on! I decided against selling it.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-15-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was the first nice weather day so after class, I put some coolant in (didn't take that much) and started it up. It does have a check engine light, which is code 43, knock sensor, because its not connected. The sensor wasn't right or something, either way have it connected mades no difference, short someplace most likely. I want to get that turned off in the PROM BIN, so that's that. But I started it up, and once it warmed up, it ran pretty good considering the exhaust leak. And guess what? Not more then 1 drop of coolant out of it, for 10-15 minutes of revving it moving it, letting it sit and idle, nothing! I even took a video, with my new phone (best video ever so far, love this phone).

Also shows my tail-lights.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-16-2011).]

Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what changed your mind?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight:

So what changed your mind?

The idea of getting an 88GT swayed me the first time, because it was rust-free and blah blah. I put to much into my car to give it away, if I do sell it, it will be for a highly modded Fiero in a trade.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-16-2011).]

Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wanna cruise alongside this car.
PFF
System Bot
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im glad you decided to keep it Matt.

You guys should cruise up to Brunswick in the summer for the car show we have here every Saturday. I was the only one representing "our" car. =)

It was weird. I parked next to $100,000 + Mustangs and Corverttes and it seemed more people were looking at my little Fiero more than everything else. I think a lot of the younger generation forabout it.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was a beautiful day here, I removed my spoiler and test fitted my "Whale Tail" today. What do you guys think?

Pretty sure I would paint it Gold, but what about black?

I also drove it on the street for the first time this year, Needs some help for sure, but it runs and drives. Not very well, but it does!
PS- Love those tail-lights!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-01-2011).]

Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure I like that tail. Im a fan of stock spoilers.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go with the black spoiler, then you gotta paint the A-pillars black, to go with the black ground ground effects.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Scratch that, this project is still going on! I decided against selling it.

Good plan Matt !!!

Glad to hear it, I am anxious to see you finnish it, and see it in Frazee this year.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VikingRedBaron

879 posts
Member since Nov 2009
Not a fan of most non stock spoilers here, BUT I like that one.

Need to be Black or Gold.................
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well everyone, time for an update. Today I got my chip back from Ryan and WOW, it runs soooo good considering the nasty exhaust leak it has. It runs so much better then it did, i can't even describe it. Considering how the old tune was for an automatic and was setting code 43 because of the messed up knock sensor/wiring, this is amazing in terms of drive-ability. Just in time too, our truck I was using for a daily driver blew a brake line today, so this is my only source of transportation at this time.

It was dark, but I did get a small video, It shows all the lighting upgrades I did.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-03-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saturday I washed my Fiero for the first time in most likely 2 years. Wow it was dirty. It's really fun driving it, but theres always more bad then good with this thing. It still has a nasty coolant leak, an oil leak, and a nasty exhaust leak. I'm going to drop the cradle again in the near future to fix all those things plus put on my DTBI, 1.6 rockers, and fix a few other things that need attention.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a quick picture of my Fiero today. I tried to get a video driving it by myself but that did not work lol, so i try it again later with someone holding it.

Noticed my rear wheels have way to much camber, they are tilted in waaaay too much, so I'll have to fix that.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock