Started on: 02-17-2009 01:19 PM
Replies: 355 (48436 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 07-26-2018 10:13 PM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice job! the waiting for things to dry is the worst.
I think that is why I like metal LOL
can't wait to see it together
IP: Logged
slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
:Sigh: i want a wide body so bad
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

The last couple of days have been all about making the mold off of the “Buck”.

Then some material to stiffen up the mold & a couple of more layers of fiberglass

After it sits for a couple of days, we take the mold off of the buck.....

This is the "Buck". The "Buck" is pretty much dumpster material now.

In a few days, after we get a part out of the mold, it'll be in the dumpster.

Asking as someone fairly ignorant on the fabrication process, is this the normal method for fiberglassing, or is this method used because you're planning on making more than one part from the mold (which I know is true in the case of the above piece)? In other words, if this was a one-off, would you do all the work to the 'buck' and just use that, or would you still make a mold? I could see if the original 'buck' was a bit of a hodgepodge of materials wanting to have an all-fiberglass piece, but at the same time if you were going to add extra bits to the piece that came out of the mold it seems like extra work for the same result (again, for a one-off).
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Asking as someone fairly ignorant on the fabrication process, is this the normal method for fiberglassing, or is this method used because you're planning on making more than one part from the mold (which I know is true in the case of the above piece)? In other words, if this was a one-off, would you do all the work to the 'buck' and just use that, or would you still make a mold? I could see if the original 'buck' was a bit of a hodgepodge of materials wanting to have an all-fiberglass piece, but at the same time if you were going to add extra bits to the piece that came out of the mold it seems like extra work for the same result (again, for a one-off).

This hatch build is for the purpose of making molds. The "bucks" you see in this thread are in no way able to me used on a car once they have served the purpose of making good quality molds.

If you're doing a "one off" build, I have posted a thread about building a Miura. I just made a post to that thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000003-8.html In that post we are talking about making one off custom dash parts directly from fiberglass with no intent on making molds.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
We just pulled the 1st part out of the mold for the inside skin of the hatch.

As you can see this is a complicated part & it turned out just as good as the outside skin did.

In these pics we have the outside skin laying back in it's mold & the new inside skin laying on top of it like it will lay when we bond the 2 parts together.

Next week we've got to design hinges to make this all work.

Archie

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The part is coming along nicely.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This hatch build is for the purpose of making molds. The "bucks" you see in this thread are in no way able to me used on a car once they have served the purpose of making good quality molds.

If you're doing a "one off" build, I have posted a thread about building a Miura. I just made a post to that thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000003-8.html In that post we are talking about making one off custom dash parts directly from fiberglass with no intent on making molds.

Archie

Thanks Archie, I'll check it out.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking great Archie.
your crew makes it look easy. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We should have the 1st set of hinges fabricated up tomorrow.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
The door on the radio clears as long as the shifter is in 2nd, 4th or 6th gear.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 03-30-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Great work.

PFF
System Bot
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting closer Clay.
so when does Archie think it will be done?
I could go for another road trip

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 03-31-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's hinged & latched.

Note: rear window is taped in right now & temp. 2x4 prop rod.

Clay, call me tomorrow about your vents.

Archie
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie that is a fantastic piece that you have made there.

------------------

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sweeeeeeeeet !

Clay you are a lucky guy !
Blownbird355

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blownbird355Send a Private Message to Blownbird355Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kinda rating on that 6 speed torque? Also Are you guys going to use a set of rubber bellows to connect CAI to the filter?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Clay, call me tomorrow about your vents.

Just got your e-mail, I'll call you Thursday (Today)

Originally posted by exoticse:
Sweeeeeeeeet !
Clay you are a lucky guy !

Thanks, same to you.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good
so when is the road trip? have truck will travel!

I can't wait to finaly see Archies shop, I need more money to spend while I am there though LOL
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:
Lastly, and this to me was a major issue, If you are planning on using Held's Wilwood brakes/ or if you already have them, consider this. The rear brake kit comes with a 3/8" adapter plate that bolts between the spindle and hub assembly.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
It also comes with a 3/8" aluminum spacer ring that goes on the end of the outboard CV to keep the CV from pulling up into the back of the spindle and locking down while using the 3/8" adapter plate for the calipers. However, this reduces the CV axle spline engagement in relation to the inside splines of the hub assemblies by 3/8". And with a little torque and traction you wind up with this:

Those were brand new hubs! This happened to me in my driveway on my first hard launch. The pass. side one broke on the car, but what is scary is the driver side only cracked and upon removal for inspection, I accidently dropped it and it split also. Just imagine if you were going down the road and this happened. There goes your wheel. Now how many people are riding around with Held's brake kit?
If you are using, or going to use this kit, first thing you need to do is throw away that 3/8" spacer ring for the CV axle and find a good machine shop. You can have 3/8" of material removed from the face of your spindle which takes care of this dangerous problem. It only cost me $80 to have this done. I have sinced launched the car pretty hard a few times and have no fear of splitting the hub assemblies, because the CV splines are fully engaging the hubs now.

Just thought I would share.

How old was the brake kit?
Mine don't mount that way... They must have changed their design. I installed them about 7+ years ago.
Have had zero problems with the hubs... wonder why they changed it?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've been working on putting together the rest of the MadArch widebody.

It was determined what types of vents Clay wanted & we have them cut out (don't tell me that they need screens put in them, I already know that).

Archie
PFF
System Bot
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the look of the vents, good choice clay and archie
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is like watching Michelangelo paint!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We've been working on putting together the rest of the MadArch widebody.

It was determined what types of vents Clay wanted & we have them cut out (don't tell me that they need screens put in them, I already know that).

Archie

Hmm. I could be wrong, but IMO I wouldn've made a half moon cut on the outer corners of the lower vent (that way it flows with the conture of the window). As for the vent separators... sweet!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-04-2009).]

Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll agree with curly on that one, wish the outer edge followed the curve of the top better. But either way it looks hot
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the opinions, guys. The vents are one of the hardest decisions to make (I would have actually prefered to leave them out all together). I played with many ideas in photoshop. This one was my favorite, so I sent the p-shopped pic to Archie. I think he nailed it. I'm sure the vent area is one that will be different for everyone.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bringing this up to date a little bit.

We've been working in a few different areas of the car.

We had to modify a bit in the area where the sideburns on the flipper nose meet up with the top of the sideburn area on the Mad-Arch WideBody Rocker panels.

The "T" bracket that was welded in to hold the bottom sideburn area of the cutoff section of the original Fiero front fender had to be redone to accept the wide rocker panels.

Here we've removed the fitting that was on there & are prepping the new parts.

Here we had to add a bit of material to the sideburn area of the flipper front end to give a wide flat area to side down on the "T" brace shown above.

We also added a little material on the trailing edge of the flipper to correct a bit of a miss match in the gap between the front clip & the front edge of the door panel.

Working on filling & sanding now

I'll show you the finished views of this tomorrow.........

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 04-09-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
We also are working on installing the spoiler on the trailing edge of the fenders & on the new hatch decklid.

After glassing,filling & sanding, it's looking pretty good.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice re-working of the bracket;

The car is coming along fine. A few more tweaks here 'n there and she's all done.

Question(s); are there any plans to update the side markers (front and rear)?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We installed the new Aluminium radiator today. Below are some pictures from that installation. Please see the assembly notes that go with the paictures that I posted in this thread.... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098899.html

We also fixed a few mechanical things that Clay wanted us to fix for him.

We also have the body just about done.....

Next week we'll get some pictures of the car sitting on the floor.

Archie

------------------

Sig by Custom2M4

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie and crew, just, Awesome!

Originally posted by madcurl:
Question(s); are there any plans to update the side markers (front and rear)?

No plans for custom markers, my styling budget is starting to run tight, and any extra cash flow will go towards performance upgrades (better heads, exhaust, fuel injection) after the body and interior are finished. I prefer Function over Form (but, just barely)
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great!
I love the way the whole thing is going together.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2009 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love that rear spoiler. Have seen similar ones on other cars. Glad that you went that way with this one. I think that the factory should have made them this way.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I love that rear spoiler....... I think that the factory should have made them this way.

I agree completely, best looking spoiler I have seen.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie and crew, just, Awesome!

No plans for custom markers, my styling budget is starting to run tight, and any extra cash flow will go towards performance upgrades (better heads, exhaust, fuel injection) after the body and interior are finished. I prefer Function over Form (but, just barely)

Understood. When do you plan on picking up the car and are you driving it back home with massive rollors or as-is?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you guys like the spoiler. It was actually my wife's idea (she's a musclecar fanatic and that was one of her contributions)

When do you plan on picking up the car and are you driving it back home with massive rollors or as-is?

Since I'm still waiting on my wheels, it looks like it's going to be as-is for a while (really wish I would have went with Bonspeeds now) . I should be going to get it as soon as I can accumulate enough time-off from work.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since I'm still waiting on my wheels, it looks like it's going to be as-is for a while (really wish I would have went with Bonspeeds now).

What's the hold-up? Was the price comparable to the BonSpeed rims?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's the hold-up? Was the price comparable to the BonSpeed rims?

Bonspeeds are a few hundred dollars more, but mine were custom CNC'd, as the old saying goes: Speed, Quality, Price. now pick two.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it. Non choptop wideboy.

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd
Lowering Springs
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Next week we'll get some pictures of the car sitting on the floor.

Archie

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock