Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD by fieroaddicted
Started on: 12-20-2012 06:25 PM
Replies: 417 (26293 views)
Last post by: deezil on 01-20-2017 10:31 AM
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enjoyed reading the build process, and am a looking forward to more about it.

A local supercharged Buick sold for $750 recently, driven home with a slipping drive chain in the trans. A local junkard prices the engines around $500. The cheapest GT I've seen recently was priced at $400 (not running), but looks like all the rolling mechanicals are sound. I didn't see any rust in it. Exterior? Awful.
IP: Logged
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is a 99 gtp about an hour from here that a guy bought and found out he couldn't get the papers for after the fact. It is going for 400$ I would love to go pick it up, but i have nowhere to keep it. I was thinking it would be good to have a spare engine to shove in the corner of the garage lol
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
i managed to get the harness basically all run and plugged together on the engine tonight...with the help of a couple little buddies

Next step is getting the engine in the car finally!!
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not much longer!
CTfieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTfieroGTSend a Private Message to CTfieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would you recommend fieroflyer for the mounts? does he still make them and such? I am doing the same swap I need mounts for 3800, F23, I have a harness for a 3800NA modded for a fiero I wonder if he can mod it to SC capable..

I bought the whole car ( engine removed) 3800 L36 top swap parts.. rodneys alum cradle mounts and tons and tons of extra parts for 700
Im adding a s1X cam, ls6 valve springs single HD timing chain ..
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTfieroGT:

would you recommend fieroflyer for the mounts? does he still make them and such? I am doing the same swap I need mounts for 3800, F23, I have a harness for a 3800NA modded for a fiero I wonder if he can mod it to SC capable..

I bought the whole car ( engine removed) 3800 L36 top swap parts.. rodneys alum cradle mounts and tons and tons of extra parts for 700
Im adding a s1X cam, ls6 valve springs single HD timing chain ..

I would definitely recommend fieroflyer for the mount brackets, but i think he gave a lot of that up to fierorog. I would send him an email or pm and ask him if he can do them or not. I would say that he could definitely mod the wiring harness to make it work on the sc motor. I had him do mine and it was only about 2 weeks or so and i had it back. He will have to go out and get a wiring harness for the sc motor so not sure what he would charge. I had no harness at all, and he charged me 450$ with the programmed pcm.
Good luck with your car.

troy
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
got a plate geared up behind the drivers seat to mount the pcm. Just have to figure out how i want to hold it down...

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
I wanted to avoid putting it in the stock location, since i may want to install a small subwoofer in it's place down the road
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put the engine in the car this morning!! Just a couple issues..My shifter bracket for the tranny hit on the left lower frame rail and needs to be modified, so i took it off for clearance. I also had a bit of an issue with the alt hitting against the trunk wall, before I "solved" it. Otherwise, it went well!

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the Pulley and belt going to clear the pass side Hinge case ? (had to cut about 1/4" off mine and Lose the torque rods) put in 1 strut instead.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

is the Pulley and belt going to clear the pass side Hinge case ? (had to cut about 1/4" off mine and Lose the torque rods) put in 1 strut instead.

Yes Lou, it does. It's nowhere near it. I have no ac or ac delete pulley either, if that makes a difference. Do you have the same SC tensioner/IC mount as I do?
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We hope you're not lifting or holding it up by the trunk latch. They've been known to cut loose suddenly.

BYW looks great. Also good job being productive on labor day!

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 09-01-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, mine Has Power Steering, AC, and the Alt in the" original" placement. actually It was the "coil Pack" (forgot) that tried to hit the hinge "support" ,(trimmed it 1/2".)all my tensioners are stock.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, mine Has Power Steering, AC, and the Alt in the" original" placement. actually It was the "coil Pack" (forgot) that tried to hit the hinge "support" ,(trimmed it 1/2".)all my tensioners are stock.

can you please post up a pic of trimmed hinge?
would like to see how "clean" it is with plug wires attached?
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

We hope you're not lifting or holding it up by the trunk latch. They've been known to cut loose suddenly.

BYW looks great. Also good job being productive on labor day!

I was lifting the car by the hatch, but I was also using my 3 ton jack in conjunction with it underneath the car ahead of the cradle. I would give each one a crank at a time so that there was never much weight being lifted from the latch alone.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

Ahh ok. My icm mount has a fair bit of clearance if i remember correctly. I will post a pic of mine in a bit for you to see Lou

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 09-02-2014).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
Looks like I will be mounting the icm and coils on the firewall instead of the stock location Lou

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
belt under the Hinge, Strut holding hatch, power steering setup, Notch in deck lid to clear alt pulley. Everything in it's stock mounting position.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
How did your ICM and coil pack get way to that side of the car ?
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How did your ICM and coil pack get way to that side of the car ?

I would say that it must have something to do with centering the F23 where it is supposed to be on the cradle. The engine just ends up wherever it ends up. Your Auto setup would have a different orientation on the cradle
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my throttle cable hooked up.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But your Belt and pulleys Appear to be in the correct pace.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
"is it possible" that your ICM is mounted on the Bracket backwards? everything else "Appears" to be oriented just like mine. the Engines FRONT" Mount" determines Where the front of the engine is, doesn't it ?
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But your Belt and pulleys Appear to be in the correct pace.

I see what you are saying Lou...hmmm maybe my icm mount is a little different than yours.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"is it possible" that your ICM is mounted on the Bracket backwards? everything else "Appears" to be oriented just like mine. the Engines FRONT" Mount" determines Where the front of the engine is, doesn't it ?

thx 4 the pic.
whose mounts u using as I've never seen issue with belt interface with the hinge.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the tranny has to be in a certain spot so that the axles used with it will reach proper. The engine ends up where ever it ends up. The icm board only goes on the mount one way from what i remember. The harness plug for the icm is on the front side of the engine facing the passenger cabin. i wish it was on backwards, then it would mean that the coils would fit there possibly. It looks as though i will have to mount the coils on the firewall or something.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
Okay, I sat down with a beer and thought about the coil mounting problem.. There is plenty of room just toward the drivers side from the stock location. So this is what i came up with....You get the idea from the pics...Just need to cut down the pieces of plate so they are not as large and also, the mount does not need to be as high as it is in the pics. Then I can weld the mount together

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thx 4 the pic.
whose mounts u using as I've never seen issue with belt interface with the hinge.

Dans
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked some more at my icm relocation mount today and got it knocked out!. Don't have my coils yet, but there should be plenty of room between them and the torsion bar. Here are a couple pics of the progress today:

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
picked up an intake tube from a early 2000's gmc full size truck with 4.3L as per Ryan's vehicle info. This is what i ended up with..

first thing i had to do was to cut the very end off where the clamp was originally since it is a slight bit smaller in size here and would not go on over the tb without considerable force.

next I cut the second bend out of the tube..

then i took the end the filter will go on and flipped it end for end and slid it on to the upper part and clamped it. Then found a suitable location for the IAT sensor and drilled a hole. With the aid of some dielectric grease, i installed the rubber grommet and the sensor..

now a few pics of it installed!!

PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made up my dogbone bracket last night. Turned out ok. All these old ATV winch mount brackets aer coming in handy

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
my coils came today! Hopefully get them on tonight and see how the mount i made is gonna work out.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
last night i got the coils mounted on the bracket and all wires run to the plugs

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever consider mounting the battery up front to offset some weight? You could move your coils to that area then.

Nice ATV! Great thread enjoying it.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph:

Did you ever consider mounting the battery up front to offset some weight? You could move your coils to that area then.

Nice ATV! Great thread enjoying it.

Thanks Joseph, yes I was thinking about the front mount battery. I may do it down the road... but for right now, I just want to get it geared up so i can hear it fire up for the first time. Hoping to have it light up this weekend. I figure i'll be vibrating if it starts and sounds good lol I can only really run it long enough to make sure it will start, then shut it down. All i have is headers at this point. I have a f355 ferrari exhaust that should be here tomorrow or friday, but i probably won't have it geared up till the spring unfortunately

troy

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This week end ? Ahead of schedule. GOOD LUCK !
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This week end ? Ahead of schedule. GOOD LUCK !

thanks Lou, yeah i had no intentions on being this far along at all. I kinda got in a groove and put a push on to get things done. I have a goal to hear it run by the time i have to put it away in the garage for the winter. No heat in there, so probably won't get a lot accomplished. As of right now to get it to run, I need 1 coolant hose which just came in, oil, coolant, + batt cable, starter bolts, fuel, and cross my fingers that when i turn the key i have power and she lights up.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
I'll post a video of the success/fail this weekend lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors