Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD by fieroaddicted
Started on: 12-20-2012 06:25 PM
Replies: 417 (26302 views)
Last post by: deezil on 01-20-2017 10:31 AM
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i picked up an 87 GT last summer...I had always wanted one, but had never even stood next to one until I got this one. I had planned on hopefully running it the way it was with the stock motor for a while so I could get some use out of it while I was building my 3800 s/c. But, it didn't turn out that way...the more i looked at it the more i realized that it needed a lot of work, so i figured i might as well tear it apart and wait until the swap motor was built. Also, the trams has seen better days also, and needs to be torn down and checked out.

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 02-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 01-23-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
A few pics..

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks carbon! How did you get them to come up?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You linked to the page the pic was on

[img]http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/fieroaddicted/media/fiero%20build/102_5592_zpsd84614cf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4[/img
(missing last bracket so you can see the actual code)

You can tell it isn't the proper picture file because it doesn't end in .jpg - What he did is go to the page -

http://s1309.beta.photobuck....jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Then clicked IMG code to the right

and then pasted the result

[IMG]http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s639/fieroaddicted/fiero%20build/102_5592_zpsd84614cf.jpg[/IMG
(Missing the last bracket to show you what it looks like)

And the result is

Note - The IMG code from photobucket already has the start [IMG} and the end [/img} so you don't have to add it. Just click the button to copy it to your browser, and then paste it in the text here.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-20-2012).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 01-14-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NIIICCEEEE!!! That looks like it is gonna be a really fun car. Peace

Pete

PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh my god, i can't believe i finally figured out how to post pics!! lol
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

NIIICCEEEE!!! That looks like it is gonna be a really fun car. Peace

Thanks Pete. I can't wait to drive it!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

my valve covers newly painted!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

Starting to unhook everything to prepare for removal
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good! Before you lower the cradle, remember to disconnect the two pairs of grounding wires that come out of the wire loom on the hidden side of the engine and are bolted to the transmission end of the forward cylinder head. One pair may be bolted to one of the bellhousing to engine bolts too. They're hidden under the exhaust crossover pipe and often get ripped out when the cradle is lowered unless you remember about them. Good luck!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Before you lower the cradle, remember to disconnect the two pairs of grounding wires that come out of the wire loom on the hidden side of the engine and are bolted to the transmission end of the forward cylinder head. One pair may be bolted to one of the bellhousing to engine bolts too. They're hidden under the exhaust crossover pipe and often get ripped out when the cradle is lowered unless you remember about them. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll double check!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
I had a quick look and they are still hooked up. Thanks for the info!

here is a pic of the new gasket kit, bearings, rings, and head bolts

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 01-10-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To update, I took apart the supercharger today. Getting ready to port it and get it cleaned up and ready for paint. I'll post pics soon of some progress on it.
jake88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jake88gtSend a Private Message to jake88gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey your builds looking good! i rebuilt and ported my supercharger a while back its actually a lot of fun haha, just remember to tape up/mask/protect those needle bearings!!! also should replace the coupler while its apart oh and laquor thinner works beautifully for the carbon build up just bring lots of paper towels, goodluck!!
-jake
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

remember to tape up/mask/protect those needle bearings!!! also should replace the coupler while its apart

Hey, yes the first thing i did once i pulled the rotor pack, was tape he bearings. Hopefully the tape holds. The rubber coupler is like brand new.. no play..it must have been done before at some point. I drained the oil by the way...I thought gear oil stank. lol This stuff is something like really dirty socks. haha Thanks Jake88gt.
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i took the s/c apart. Here are a few "before" pics before porting...

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
jake88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jake88gtSend a Private Message to jake88gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
haha yeah that supercharger oil is brutal, put it in a viplock bag and put it in my buddies trunk as a joke, took him a week to figure it out.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

put it in a viplock bag and put it in my buddies trunk as a joke, took him a week to figure it out

Lol that's awesome.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a few interior pics

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay supercharger is ported. here are a few pics:

Yarmouth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yarmouth FieroSend a Private Message to Yarmouth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking project. I hope we get to see it up close this spring. I've never been for a ride in a 3800 SC so the boys and I will definitely be watching.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Yarmouth. Hope I get to see your car sometime as well. I hope to have the engine together in the next month or so. With some luck, it will hopefully be done this summer.
troy
PFF
System Bot
superfastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for superfastfieroSend a Private Message to superfastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are you doing to the shortblock? Changing compression ratio or keeping it stock, using different rods or the newer powder forged rods? and did you send the block out because wondering how much it'd cost to rebuild this iwas wondering how much it would cost to rebuild this?

[This message has been edited by superfastfiero (edited 01-19-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what are you doing to the shortblock? Changing compression ratio or keeping it stock, using different rods or the newer powder forged rods? and did you send the block out because wondering how much it'd cost to rebuild this

superfastfiero, I bought my engine from the junkyard, and although the owner said it was good, i tore it down to check everything out. As suspected, it was not a "good" engine. I replaced all engine bearings and installed new rings in the short block. I did not want to up the comp. ratio, since i figured it was not a good idea with the s/c setup. The rods are stock and are more than capable with what i am doing to the motor. I deleted the balancer shaft, and tapped the oil galley going to it on the rear of the engine under the rear cover and installed a pipe thread plug. I will be installing a double roller cam chain setup as well. This is all that is done to the short block. I am doing all my own work, so not sure what it would cost to have someone do it for you. Are you going to do the work yourself? The way the shortblock sits in the pics above, it stands me a little over $700. That was for top and bottom felpro gaskets, all engine bearings and seals, rings, and new head bolts. I still need my comp cam ($400), and roller timing set ($300) to complete the bottom end. As for the top end, I had 2 small cracks in one of the heads that needed to be fixed, and i put new valves and guides in them along with high performance springs and retainers to match the cam. This is another $700...$250 or so without the head work. Hope this gives you an idea of cost. If you have any other questions i can answer, don't be afraid to ask.
troy
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supercharger all finished and ready to bolt on! Hope to have my heads all finished by next week!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i finally got my heads finished!! Here are a few pics of one of them.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put the heads on today! This thing is finally starting to look like something. I set the intake and s/c on it as well to get an idea what it is going to look like. Still waiting on the cam yet before i can finish the engine.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am now thinking about the f40 6 speed trans instead of my getrag since it needs work..not sure how much, but i figure it is better spend towards something better. Which vehicles came with this tranny?
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F23 5 speed is better bang for the buck.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F23 5 speed is better bang for the buck.

i know there is a little more work with gearing up mounts for this tranny, but what about axles? Do the f23 axles or getrag axles work without mods? What about clutch setup..is it the same as the getrag? And does it mount directly to the 3800?
troy
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getrag or Muncie axles work fine with the F23 as long as you mount the transmission in the same place as stock

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock