Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD by fieroaddicted
Started on: 12-20-2012 06:25 PM
Replies: 417 (26302 views)
Last post by: deezil on 01-20-2017 10:31 AM
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The muffler I am using for the swap came today! Tips will need a bit of work to make it fit width wise. I figure i will lengthen out one side and this will allow me to set it off to the drivers side a bit and give me more room to run the rear bank if i decide to use the top vac operated port

IP: Logged
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to ask.... How much does a ferrarri muffler cost?

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
retail 3400$ lol but this one was 150
troy
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are there 3 intake ports ?
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

retail 3400$ lol but this one was 150
troy

$150 for the tools, sure, but where did you find the unattended Ferrari?

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1! This I gotta see. Just got interesting!

Many years ago I bought a Monza exhaust for my Volvo. I don't know how I had the money. I don't think I was even working at the time. The UPS guy said it wasn't too late I could send them back instead of paying the COD. A day or so later the whole thing fell off in the middle of the street. By the time I got around the block the water department had picked them up. They too thought they were doing me a favor. At some point I broke down and got a regular Midas system.

No disrespect; I know you guys routinely do stuff I can only dream of, but this sounds like a wrong turn of epic proportions. If I were you I would put that thing back where you found it, even if you have to pay $150 more for someone to take it away.

Sorry. I'll be very quiet now.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 09-19-2014).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Why are there 3 intake ports ?

The center port is for hooking up a vacuum operated bypass to allow for more flow and a throatier sound in the ferrari. It opened at about 3000 rpm in all gears except for top gear, which it opened at around 4500 rpm from what i have been reading. I Am hoping to be able to use the third port as well as in the ferrari , but i am not sure on the amount of space I will have. I want to set it up in the same manner as it was intended, but we'll have to see what there is for space once i have the ehaust mounted in the car. Here is a pic of how it is set up in the ferrari:

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

Originally posted by seq:

$150 for the tools, sure, but where did you find the unattended Ferrari?

lol picked it up off ebay a couple weeks ago. There were a couple that were cheaper, but i couldn't get them. There were also several that were a lot more money

troy
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Many years ago I bought a Monza exhaust for my Volvo. I don't know how I had the money. I don't think I was even working at the time. The UPS guy said it wasn't too late I could send them back instead of paying the COD. A day or so later the whole thing fell off in the middle of the street. By the time I got around the block the water department had picked them up. They too thought they were doing me a favor. At some point I broke down and got a regular Midas system.

No disrespect; I know you guys routinely do stuff I can only dream of, but this sounds like a wrong turn of epic proportions. If I were you I would put that thing back where you found it, even if you have to pay $150 more for someone to take it away.

That was the most polite negative post ever...

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

lol thanks, but I should be able to get the exhaust on there. The only thing I am questioning is whether i will have the room to use the center port as well.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She runs!! To say I was excited is an understatement. I was vibrating the whole time. Could hardly keep the phone steady lol

http://vid1309.photobucket....ea6e_zps9039fc3d.mp4
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All right troy ! The Light at the end of the tunnel :-)
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All right troy ! The Light at the end of the tunnel :-)

thanks Lou! getting closer
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
put the ferrari exhaust under the car to see what needs to be done to make it fit. Tips need to be widened out 4.5" on each side to center them in the holes in the bumper

Also picked up a grand prix stock downpipe for the rear exhaust bank.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't forget, you should still incorporate a "Flex joint" into each pipe.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

don't forget, you should still incorporate a "Flex joint" into each pipe.

Yup thanks!

Got the ferrari exhaust tips widened out 4.5" on each side to make the tips fit proper.

and a pic of where it will sit in the car

looks like the boatload of ATV winch plates will come in handy again

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
worked a bit more tonight on the car. It is finally ready to put the rear wheels back on it and sit it back on four wheels again! Gonna put the wheels back on tomorrow evening and mount the exhaust where i want it to go. Then I get to load it up and take it up the road to the exhaust shop to get the exhaust pipe run from the manifolds to the muffler. Finally be able to start her up and see what she sounds like with the exhaust on it. Should have a different sound to it with the ferrari muffler.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ferrari muffler mounted up and ready to have pipes run

car finally back on 4 wheels

Wally27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wally27Send a Private Message to Wally27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build! I love it!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wally27:

Nice build! I love it!

Thanks Wally27!

Exhaust is finished on the car, other than a bit of wrapping. Here are a few pics...

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C mon Troy, ya Gotta give us a SOUND bite ! :-)
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are those "normal" flex couplings with the braid cut off?
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Are those "normal" flex couplings with the braid cut off?

There was no braiding on these flex joints. They were just as you see them in the pics.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

C mon Troy, ya Gotta give us a SOUND bite ! :-)

haha ya i'll get one this weekend. I am in the process of modding a stock fiero water neck to work on the car so I can finish topping up the coolant and get all the air out. Once i get it bled this weekend, i am gonna run it for about 10 to 20 min to break in the cam a bit. I fired it to get an idea of the sound the other day, and I am hearing some top end noise that i believe is bled down lifters. I want to get them bled so the noise quiets down before i take a vid. It does sound different though. Not like a 3800 at all. It is fairly quiet and ya can really hear the sc wind up when ya step on it

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 10-02-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just re- did my "coolant fill" problem. I put an inline fitting (1 1/2") where the theremostat housing is,( for a second Temp Gauge sender) Then I ran a heater hose up to a "high point" on the rear firewall (Trunk) and installed a" Back Flush Kit" ( "Inline "T" with a cap). Put a funnel in it while it was running, poured coolant in about 3 times, DONE. Very convenient, cost $4, easy to check.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love that Ferrari exhaust! Great build!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Love that Ferrari exhaust! Great build!

Thanks Neils88, gotta get the car topped up with coolant today and let it run for a bit to break the cam in some. I want to post a video later on today hopefully
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sound clip of the car running dual pipes into ferrari exhaust

http://vid1309.photobucket....5979_zpscc0cf335.mp4
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like it has a little raspier note to it than others. Is the displacement larger in the Ferrari engine than the 3.8? To me the sound suggests so.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure of the size of the v8 in the ferrari, but i think it is close to 5L.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gotta remember, you can't expect to get the "same" exhaust sound from a 6 cylinder than that of a 12 cylinder or an 8 even if it's the same displacement. it's not only the muffler but in the number of exhaust pulses and how they are "timed". I can't hear it, my computer won't play that real player bite.
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gotta remember, you can't expect to get the "same" exhaust sound from a 6 cylinder than that of a 12 cylinder or an 8 even if it's the same displacement. it's not only the muffler but in the number of exhaust pulses and how they are "timed". I can't hear it, my computer won't play that real player bite.

Ya i understand it won't sound like a ferrari but I was hoping that maybe it may sound "different" form a lot of the other 3800's. Hard to tell the sound from a video, they always sound different in person. It's quieter than i had anticipated...in a good way. Ya can really hear the sc scream when ya give the throttle a good stab.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it sounds great! Nothing wrong with quiet in the long run. Being able to hear the supercharger over the exhaust is perfect IMHO. I really liked the sound of my GT, but it got awful tiresome listening two hours a day. Your $150 Ferrari exhaust makes it sound like a small, but expensive, modern sports car. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

Not sure of the size of the v8 in the ferrari, but i think it is close to 5L.

A 355 has a 3.5 liter with 5 valves per cylinder; it's a single plane V8, not a V12.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-06-2014).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

A 355 has a 3.5 liter with 5 valves per cylinder; it's a single plane V8, not a V12.

Thanks for clarifying Will.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
Took the water pump off tonight and swapped it out with a new one. Should have known better than to try and use the original one. All buttoned up now. Just need to top up with coolant again and re-install the belts.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez, you know what they tell you if you try to get a garage to replace your water pump? "Oh, we don't have anyone here today who can do that." "We need the car for at least a whole day." "Oh, that's a seven hundred dollar rated job, we looked it up." And dollars to donuts they would screw it up something awful. One evening! Hats off to you!
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your welds are looking great! Are you going to consider using the third exhaust port in the muffler some day? I wonder how it would change the sound.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

Your welds are looking great! Are you going to consider using the third exhaust port in the muffler some day? I wonder how it would change the sound.

Thanks, although i can't take credit for all of them. I am hoping to someday use the third port as well. Hopefully it will work fine without it for now.

Finished up the water pump install and new coolant sensor in. Belts are back on and ready to fire up again.

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 10-26-2014).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much work going on the last little bit. Waiting for a shift cable to come from Rodney that should be here in the next day or two. Then I need to order an adapter from fieroguru to adapt the fiero clutch line fitting to the f23
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock