Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59574 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i added another Ground Strap
about a 6inch pc. of 4Ga. Wire that goes from the 15mm bolt that holds the EGR Solinoid Bracket on, to the bolt by the battery tray where the small ground wire is that comes off of the negative Bat. terminal with the 10mm bolt,
and my car runs ALOT smoother, it idles better, and seems to all arround have a little more Get up and go to it

i suspect that the stock one was just getting a little crusty, so i added another one and im amazed at the differance a 6" Pc. of wire has done!!!
somthing to think about
just thought id share

EDIT to add pic

------------------
Rich AIM one fast 2m8

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 01-19-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KlingonFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool,
Thanks for the info.

It is utterly amazing how much difference a good ground can make.

On another note - what's up with the sign? Is it for real? Does it show only my info to me or what? Kinds cool though.

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i tried to give you a + but i guess i already gave you one.
OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apicture would help to see more what you mean, if possible. Thanks for sharing though.
weldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weldonClick Here to visit weldon's HomePageSend a Private Message to weldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try that! My idle needs help, it bounces between like 800 and 1000. I'm not sure about the exact rpm but its not smooth.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Buddy, i already gave you one too

Kling on: yes, only you see your info in the sig, and only I can see Mine

Outlaw: i my batterys Just died in my cam wile taking pics of my new headlights, but i think it would be hard anyways because its kinda tucked in there,and wouldnt show up well

just look at yours, there is a ground wire going from the negative battery Terminal down to the chassie, its held in by a 10mm bolt, one end of the new ground goes there, and the other end goes to the 15mm bolt that holds in the bracket to the EGR, its either ON or right above the Waterpump

easy

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 11-08-2003).]

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

Kling on: yes, only you see your info in the sig, and only I can see Mine

Thanks, I was very curious.

I tried to give you a plus also, I guess I already did

------------------
1984 SE - 30800 out of 136840. Being modified!

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if there is enough Intrest in doing this mod i will throw to gether a redy to install "Kit" that will include the ready to install NEW "HIGH Preformance " Ground Strap, full color Photo's and a full List of detailed instructions For the Introductory LOW-LOW price of Just $19.95..... But wait.... Act Now and you will Also recive......

Ahh nevermind

GT40 Kit 3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 Kit 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to GT40 Kit 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey $RICH$... a plus for you... that's what this forum is all about, sharing info!
Something as simple as a ground strap can cause so many problems. I can't tell you how many times it has gotten me. Kinda like power problems... how many times have we started to look for a broken, shorted or loose wire, only to find that the fuse is blown?
Thanks again,
Kevin

------------------
85 Fiero-based ASPP GT-40 MarkII. 3800 S/C, Auto, Held suspension all around with 2" drop spindles and sport fr. end. RCC bump-steer correction. Mr. Mike's interior.

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^
doublec4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats a cool piece of info, if someone else can get a pic that would be cool too.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just gave you a + $RICH$ !!! THAT'S WHAT THIS FOURM IS OR SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT!!! Mine runs smooth but always could use smoother....THANKS !!!

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rich - As usual, you have once again provided a positive note to the group.

------------------

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whell thank you, that means alot
jayguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jayguyClick Here to visit jayguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to jayguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would've given you a +, but I don't have enough posts yet, and haven't been a member long enough. It's coming, though, 'check's in the mail.'

------------------
Jay
'87 Fiero SE 2.8 5spd
'94 Ducati M900
'01 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner
http://jayguy4.home.comcast.net/

jtiger186

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jtiger186Send a Private Message to jtiger186Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info $RICH$

I am going to try it this weekend, Ill let you know how it works. Thanks again and a big + to ya.

Gary

------------------
JTIGER186

84 SE Parts car
85 SE
86 2M4 In progress

JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 V6 would stall going from PARK to DRIVE on a cold start. After adding the grounding wire, the Fiero was transformed from a stumbling starter to the Magnificent Beast God intended it to be! I also lost 5 pounds, added another inch to the stickshift, and got a smile from the secretary who lives next door. Who knew a piece of wire could make such a difference! Thanks $RICH$
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This, without a doubt, is some very valuable information.

A couple of nights ago, a small ground wire on my engine burned out (posted on the 16th https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045531.html)

Today I strapped in a 4 gauge cable from my chassis to the engine block. Oh My Dog what a difference! My headlights are brighter. My windshield wipers sweep faster. My instrument cluster is brighter. The headlights go up and down faster (a LOT faster). The instruments' needles used to dip slightly with each 'click' of the turn signal, they don't any more. My engine temperature guage seems to be more stable (it would peg sometimes). My windows go up and down faster (well, Fiero window motors, they go up and down less slowly). And most importantly, my engine runs smoother and has more power.

A good ground is damn important!

SJF

[This message has been edited by smokinjoefission (edited 01-17-2004).]

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are right on the ball. now if you want it to even run better, add one from the driver side bolt on the transmisson to the bolt on the hinge (same as passenger side). You cannot get to many ground straps.
Don
ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any signs that will show up to indicate you need to do this? Or will it help on any V6 Fiero?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good grounds are the basis for all electrical systems. Our little cars are close to twenty years old and the grounds will need attention. Its common practice to check them prior to the winter driving season.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light"

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 12-04-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sport Compact Car did an article on this a while back. They were actually showing horsepower gains by using better grounding to the engine block.
Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to thread jack but the PM function isnt working ATM. JT666 E-mail me @ weponhead@comcast.net or talk on AIM @ weponhead <-- no typos. I live in mont. Co. as well, Do you drive a red notchback? I may have seen you the other day.
Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too added an extra earth strip last year. See the pic below. From the Fiero Plenium to the right hand rear strut. And then from the Strut to the Battery. Thus creating a new Chassis earth at the same time. Before i had over 100ohm's resistance from the Chassis to the engine. Now its 0 Ohms.
I also noticed Smoother Idling, and about 2MPG better gas millage.

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT Notchback, 2.8 V6, 4 speed manual. Custom made Tubular branch exhaust manifolds with true twin 3in exhaust system. No CAT, No EGR. No Crossover pipe. ADS Road Race SuperChip & 160 deg stat. Poly bushes all round. Lowered 2 inches. 16" alloys with 225/45 rubber. 0-60mph in 5.5 sec.

www.fieroforum.co.uk/Paul85gt.htm

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$rich$, do you have a pic of where you added this wire? i dont really know where you added it. and i d like to try this myself.
i think i may have a ground problem.... light sometimes dont come up, crappy ideling, and when i start the car the volts meter light comes on, and stays on until i rev the engine.

[This message has been edited by rmphoto (edited 01-18-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1 inch wide braided strap from the block to the right decklid hinge support. It is an important part of a good running V6!
rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are these in the right spots?
i just added the wire and i saw no difference at all so i thought id check.

my car runs like hot garbage.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Post Rich. Most of the auto parts stores carry the braided ground straps in different lengths too.
1987 Trans Am

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987 Trans AmSend a Private Message to 1987 Trans AmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what exactly is adding the grounding strap helping? I mean all it is is a piece of wire. Is there any specific place that it needs to be grounded to?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess some electronics/sensors on the engine are grounded to the block so a bad ground connection to the battery can cause several problems. Like I mentioned before I have a braided strap from the block (I have to check the exact location) to the right hinge support. I think it is the stock setup?! Battery is grounded to the right rear shock tower.

I will take a picture of this setup if you like. Not now because it is late and raining

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great idea

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

PFF
System Bot
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've been able to determine from my 86 SE, the engine cradle is a pretty good insulator from the remainder of the car. I'd imagine over time that the bolts holding the cradle to the frame of the car become quite corroded over time, increasing elecrical resistance. Bearing in mind that the alternator is the main supply of power for the car, and being mounted to the engine, it would seem that over time more resistance would be created if the existing ground points are compromised or missing.

The problems that I experienced with my electricals in the cabin would seem to confirm this, as they would be most affected by a bad ground to the engine.

Just my $0.02 worth.

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1986 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GREAT $RICH$..........something we all sometimes forget about is the basics. Where the grounds are located is not as important as that they are clean, corrosion free and of proper gauge wire. In my opinion, battey cable wire is not over doing it. Especially on a Fiero. Thanks $RICH$

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

jron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that your ground helped you. It seems that this is one of the bigest problems we have with " OLD CARS". New ones too... I say you can never trust your grounds. They have been a big pain in the a$$ for me. I have added extra ones on the TPI swap,not taking any chances. A+ for you.
Jim
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good post
a good ground is very important. In the days of ignition points if you had a bad ground your ponts could burn up on a regular basis. this could be a cause the ignition modules going bad.....just a guess. i wonder if a weak ground could case our windows to slow...ummmmmm

------------------

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmphoto:

are these in the right spots?
i just added the wire and i saw no difference at all so i thought id check.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rmhome/wire.jpg
my car runs like hot garbage.

Looks like your trying to ground the mounting bracket. I ran mine to a bolt on the head.
Try to keep it short as posible.

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i moved it off the bracket and onto the bolt that holds that bracket in place.

this is the right spot and yes i did notice a difference in idling, and brighter lights..
cool, and cheap

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow this thread is back from the dead, im glad too see that my info is helpfull
ill go out now, and tra and snap a pic for ya'll, its dark outside but ill see how it turns out, ill post the pic in the first post on this topic

------------------

Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$Rich$

14575 posts
Member since Dec 2002
OK i posted it in the top too but here it is again
Geez,... its cold as hell outside and Dark as hell too, the things i do to be helpfull
so why do i have the little red showing in my bar;?)
edit: also be sure to scuff up the contact points for better grounding abilitys

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 01-19-2004).]

C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
COLD????? LOL i just got done installing my new carpet in a +2 degree's outside TEMP. of course when i got my car i didnt put into acount that it would be cold outside, oh well live and learn

I have a question though, is it better to have many straps on the car? or just one really good strap? because i am wondering if by adding more straps, it would almost create more resistance.

Just my opinion, i will admit though, i did do this little mod and it did help!

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock