Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  EVERYONE with a V6 please Read (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
EVERYONE with a V6 please Read by $Rich$
Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59552 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
IP: Logged
askmeeeh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for askmeeehSend a Private Message to askmeeehEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doing to try this on the weekend will let you guy know how it goes
tntcary

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump !!! This made an amazing difference in my 87GT.
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to bump this - found this thread & added missing/broke grounds on 86 GT- motor runs smooth now & no hesitation accelerating!
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thead is really old.........

------------------
Leedle, Leedle, Leedle, Lee!
Patrick Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM6sTtQeavI

MazdaManiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MazdaManiacClick Here to visit MazdaManiac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MazdaManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chorcob:

lol

AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chorcob:

But it works!

BUMP

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 07-23-2013).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to try it.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am bumping this and trying it this weekend. Newbie here, just got an '85 GT and it hunts for idle from 400-1200 rpm up and down up and down when warm. I don't remember seeing any ground strap in that location on my car. Ill let everyone know what happens.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 GT
"Gettin' There"

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone please tell me where the main negative cable off the negative on the battery goes to? Mine was connected to the bracket for the dogbone but the bracket is painted. Thanks

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 GT
"Gettin' There"

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also like the braided flat ground straps better than just a piece of wire...but whatever works....
PFF
System Bot
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure of exact spot, but it goes towards the rear window just above the exhaust manifold closest to battery. i also added 2 based on this thread. i bought a 3 pack from ebay of flat braided, but regular neg batt cable should be fine too.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

Can someone please tell me where the main negative cable off the negative on the battery goes to? Mine was connected to the bracket for the dogbone but the bracket is painted. Thanks

The ground cable attaches to a studded head bolt above #1 exhaust port.

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

i added another Ground Strap
about a 6inch pc. of 4Ga. Wire that goes from the 15mm bolt that holds the EGR Solinoid Bracket on, to the bolt by the battery tray where the small ground wire is that comes off of the negative Bat. terminal with the 10mm bolt,

Where would we attach the new ground wire for those of us who no longer have EGR, as well as a 3800 conversion?
Or would a new ground only be necessary on the old 2.8?
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been having all kinds of trouble with idle, hesitation, stumbling and stuff, and finally realized that it's probably a grounding issue. Thanks for bumping this thread!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131788.html
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Juuuust your friendly neighborhood bump!!!!

May the force be with you guys, always.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One project I'm working on right now is fixing a 10 gauge wire that runs from the transmission to the frame. It had broken off at the connector. Where the grounds are seems to vary. I have yet to see grounds on the throttle body or the bell housing. The hinge to block ground seems to be connected to the EGR solenoid bracket, the lifting hook, the dipstick bolt, a head bolt, and wherever else was convenient. Any parts store has the wide woven ground straps. They're probably better because they flex longer without breaking like my ten gauge wire.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 10-27-2014).]

Dmull1023

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dmull1023Send a Private Message to Dmull1023Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thx for posting this $Rich$. Going to try this tonight. Awesome this keeps hanging around.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2023 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I was going to replace my negative battery cable anyway, I found a brand new one for a different GM vehicle that was significantly thicker, and zero corrosion.

First thing that happened when I tried to remove the bolt on the front of the engine was that it sheared. In addition, the nut on top of the bolt must have backed off a bit before it rusted in place, there was quite a bit of play on the connector at the end of the wire.

Got the bolt out, made a new bolt out of a stock bolt and welded a flange nut halfway up the length, so that it would sandwich the terminal inbetween once I backed another nut down.

I knew the ground wasn't at all good - but I was shocked at the sudden performance. I'm not talking about HP gains (though there may be some, IDK) but it was suddenly running significantly better.

Proper electrical connections are important in any application that requires them.
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2023 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my two bits. When cleaning or replacing your cars grounds it is really important to use some electrical grease or neversieze to stop the grounds from corroding again and leaving you stranded. On a lot of the connectors and wiring that gets exposed to the weather GM applied a nasty tar like electrical grease that wouldn't wash away over time. Sleek
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 12 locations for ground attachments. The ones that matter as far as the V-6 engine is concerned are:

G501 - near the dipstick coming from battery (large diameter)
G502 - behind battery coming from battery (small diameter)
G503 - underneath throttle body coming from harness
G504 - undermeath throttle body coming from harness
G505 - passenger side bracket for trunk hinge coming from G501
G202 - underneath console passenger side below ECM

Clean the grounds. There is no need to add additional ground wires if the grounds are clean.

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic