Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59574 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
Phil86SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free Bump, cauve i am curious about that last question too

-Phil

IP: Logged
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont think adding more than 2 extra strapsin addition to the stock ones will do anything more for a person
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does that wire need to be insulated or anything or is it ok for it to be bare like that?
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Electrically, it makes no difference if you use the braided wire or a large stranded wire, but the bigger the better. The braided wire identifies it as a ground strap right away.
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a more expensive, "better looking" alternative:

I picked up this set a while ago, but have yet to install it. I'm hoping for good results.
Many companies sell something like this and you can find relatively inexpensive kits like this on ebay by searching for "ground wires"

not to mention....bump

------------------

'86 2.8L
'86 2.5L turbo put to sleep

Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it is CVC, (Clear Vinal coating ) just like a standard 4-Ga, Power wire, but with clear coating
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the 10 minute install tonight. Sitting in my garage, it seems to idle a little smoother. We'll see how it really does tomarrow going to work and back. Thanks for the idea Rich.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a trick the WRX guys have been using. It has been dyno proven to add HP (like 2-3) and get much more accurate readings.

Heck I even just added it to my Mini. Its a common problem with them since the battery is in the back. Once added my stereo gets better reception, headlights are MUCH brighter and it idles better. Cant beat that!

They have 'um on ebay if you want to buy a kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2454461817&category=33578
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455659553&category=33578

Steven

------------------
'02 Subaru WRX 14.61@91.87mph bone stock
'95 R33 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec NISMO stage 1 400bhp
'92 Mini Cooper 1.3i 74 brain-numbing hp!!!
'87 Fiero GT 4.9/4T60e w/3.33 final drive, ZEX nitrous 65hp shot, 88 cradle w/ 325# coil overs, Poly everything, Upgraded sway bars, KYB's, 16X7 M11's, 11.25 "Zettner" front brakes, Complete MSD ignition w/ 6AL box, Custom 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Grand Sport Corvette paint, Carbon fiber interior trim, '98 T/A CD w/ ETR, Reverse Indiglo guages, Pillar mounted AutoMeter O2, Hella H4 conversion.
Follow its built up here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/027460.html
Sadly... SOLD.

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, it is a prooven Preformer on the BMW's too, biengs the battery is located in the trunk
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2004 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump because this info is priceless, thanks Rich!
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could I do this to a Duke with the same results or is this something that you can only do to the 6?
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can do it on ANY automobile, just find 2 good grounding Points with one of them being on the motor
btklassy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btklassySend a Private Message to btklassyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '86 SE that seems to have some of the symptoms of a bad ground like volt meter ticking with the turn signal on. So I thought I'd try this mod but ran into problems.

I found the ground point on the battery tray but am missing the bolt for the other end. Is it right that the EGR appears to be on the other side of the engine? I think there is a spot to attach the other end but the bolt seems to be missing. I checked and can feel threads inside the hole but don't know what size bolt to get. Anybody know? It looks to be at the very top of the water pump.

So then I thought I'd try another suggestion and run a new ground from the tranny to the driver side hinge. On the top of the tranny I can see a good spot to do this but the bolt is missing again. I will see if I can get pictures but does anyone have any idea what size bolt should be here?

I then thought I'd try running a ground from the plenum to the strut but I can't see from the picture in this post exactly where I would do this. Does the ground go from one of the plunum bolts to one of the three strut nuts? Then do I take another ground strap directly to the negative post of the battery?

The last one sounds the easiest but does anyone have any idea what size bolts I should use to replace the ones that are missing?

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then problem the WRX's had was that they painted all of the ground studs and holes before the connected the grounds, results were bad grounds.
KitKar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitKarClick Here to visit KitKar's HomePageSend a Private Message to KitKarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did this to my Formula last night. Seems to run smoother, might just be my imagination. I have an intermittent high idle problem I'm hoping this fixes. I'll do this to my 86 GT tonight, that one has more of the symptoms described here.
A + for $Rich$

------------------
Rick Lord
http://www.KingdomCustoms.com

[This message has been edited by KitKar (edited 02-11-2004).]

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How'd/where'd you get the ground strap?
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would this help with my cd player dimming when i have large amounts of bass in a song? i dont have any subs or other amps just a new cd player and some pioneer 4x10's.
KitKar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitKarClick Here to visit KitKar's HomePageSend a Private Message to KitKarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scythe:

I got a 19" long, 4 ga. battery cable from Pep boys.

------------------
Rick Lord
http://www.KingdomCustoms.com

anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did the fix. i went to an auto parts store and piced up a battery cable for about $5. I tested it out by putting my ac on, headlights on, and brakes were pushed in and the voltage meter was very steady and didnt move. my problem was when i had multiple items running the volt meter would really drop like there was a ton of load on it. now it is perfect. didnt get to drive it tho because its in the garage for the winter. thanks for the tip!
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scythe:

i used some 4Ga. power wire like you'd use for an Amp. install and just Crimped 2 ends on it

im glad that you all are finding Great results with this, im really glad i could be helpfull
thanks for the +'s i really appreaciate them you all have recived them in return

Mad Max Motorsports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mad Max MotorsportsSend a Private Message to Mad Max MotorsportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can it realy be that simple! Two of my vehicles show these problems, Fiero has more. I also have had hard starting which I have been chasing for quite some time. If now it would only warm up.

------------------
'88 Fiero Formula "Interceptor"
'90 Trofeo "Interceptor XB"
'90 Olds Cutlass Cruiser S (Wife's)

PFF
System Bot
a.k.a

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a.k.aSend a Private Message to a.k.aEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
niiiice info man! I am gonna do the same now

Had the same problem on my old, rusty 2.8 in my old rusty S-10...man 6 inches of braided wire does soo much!

oh ya, and a + rating for you sir

------------------

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just don't try it with the (+) wire..
FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this to my '87 GT. What a difference!!!! I had the slow turn signals and low voltage meter on high demand with A/C, lights on, operating power windows. I thought my alternator was starting to go but it charged fine. Thanks!!!
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Just don't try it with the (+) wire..

is this speaking from experiance? :P

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 218,000 miles and still runing!!!
more pics of my 85 can be found here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 133,000 miles! She's alive finaly!
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( with frame damage :damon: <- Doomed unless someone has a really cheep frame in so. callifornia!

Two88GTs

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Two88GTsSend a Private Message to Two88GTsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did both of my cars this evening since it was nice and balmy outside(32F). I used a Lynx brand 4-gauge 32-inch starter cable from AutoZone with black insulation($3.99) which has 3/8" ring terminals at both ends which is perfect for the 15mm bolt. I then cut the cable in half and then crimped on Everstart brand 4-gauge 1/4" ring terminals from WalMart($1.97) which is perfect for the 10mm bolt near the battery tray.

A couple of warnings, though... You may brush your forearms and wrists against the fibrous insulation around the right strut tower. IT'LL ITCH LIKE HECK! The other caveat is accidentally causing a spark since the battery terminals are RIGHT there.

Don't ask me how I know these things, hehehe.

------------------

bd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bdSend a Private Message to bdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome, i just ordered a set of those wires thanks for the info!
WHT 88 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WHT 88 Fiero GTClick Here to visit WHT 88 Fiero GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHT 88 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to jump in here and say thanks for the valuable information $Rich$. I'm glad I ran accross this thread.

signed:

The artist fromally known as lightiv

------------------

paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

They have 'um on ebay if you want to buy a kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2454461817&category=33578
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455659553&category=33578

Steven

I ordered a set off ebay then noticed the shipping and handling.....$16.49 for the wires, $19.00 for shipping and handling. Boy do I feel stupid. Should have waited. Oh well still not bad if it takes care of any problems.
Thanks for the great post Rich...stay warm.

------------------

The 2.8 to 2.8 swap has
begun.

AIM-jaxpac257

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the deal with those ground things from ebay? Do they attach to the battery then you just connect the octopus legs to random spots on the engine/cradle/frame??

Curious to know how they look once installed. Any pics of em on anything? WRX, fords, imports, whatev.

paulcal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats the deal with those ground things from ebay? Do they attach to the battery then you just connect the octopus legs to random spots on the engine/cradle/frame??

Curious to know how they look once installed. Any pics of em on anything? WRX, fords, imports, whatev.

I'll post some pic's when I get mine.

PFF
System Bot
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I was skeptical, but I spent the three bucks for a ground strap, and installed it. I am amazed at the smoother idle... It could be my imagination, but is seems to idle a bit smoother.

Thanks for the tip

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just need to get some ring connectors for my wire. where can i get these? radioshack doesnt carry them for any wire larger than 10gauge.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

TGS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TGSSend a Private Message to TGSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From Two88GTs above:

"Just did both of my cars this evening since it was nice and balmy outside(32F). I used a Lynx brand 4-gauge 32-inch starter cable from AutoZone with black insulation($3.99) which has 3/8" ring terminals at both ends which is perfect for the 15mm bolt. I then cut the cable in half and then crimped on Everstart brand 4-gauge 1/4" ring terminals from WalMart($1.97) which is perfect for the 10mm bolt near the battery tray. "

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just went to walmart and bought a 2gauge starter cable(it was cheaper) and hooked it up and i did notice that turning on some of my acc. seemed to take less juice and my turn signal was faster. thanks for the tip

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

paulcal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just got them UPS today so they won't get installed until later in the week but here's a link to the instructions that I posted. BTW great pic's huh? That's the way they came. Looks like a great way to ground a motor though.
I'll take a pic once I get them installed.

http://miscpics2.homestead.com/EarthSystem.html

Edit: There was still an hour or so of dreary daylight (it's been rainy and overcast all day) soooo I took a run down to the car and went ahead and installed 3 of the 5 ground wires that comes with the kit. One to the plenum corner, one to the block and one to the cradle. That should take care of any ground problems I may have.
The red wires are going to look great with my color scheme. Pic's tomorrow I hope.
Thanks again for the heads up on this Rich.

[This message has been edited by paulcal (edited 02-24-2004).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kept getting a flat rear left tire on my 84. I put on a new ground strap and it hasn't gone flat in a week. Thanks Rich. you're the man.

Russ

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

I kept getting a flat rear left tire on my 84. I put on a new ground strap and it hasn't gone flat in a week. Thanks Rich. you're the man.

Russ

LOL

SandstormGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SandstormGTSend a Private Message to SandstormGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! 4-Guage Wire stops flats, amazing! This is definately a must have, I am putting Rich up for the Nobel Prize, good job Rich!

^BumP^

528sosb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 528sosbSend a Private Message to 528sosbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
waht is the best gage wire for the straps? i bought 4g and tested it on a volt meter and got 7 ohms resistance, then i tested 14g and got .8 ohms resistance. is this correct? it seems that all i need is 14g. am going from plenum to strut tower to neg batt post.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock