EVERYONE with a V6 please Read by $Rich$
Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59574 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
JaxDomino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JaxDominoSend a Private Message to JaxDominoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran over to Advance Auto Parts and bought a 4 gauge battery wire. Hooked it up to the EGR Sol point and then to the deck mount where the other ground is. Wow!!! My windows go up and down less slower and everything is so bright. I will road test tomorrow on my way to work. Awesome!!! Thanks $RICH$!!! I can't rate you yet, But I won't forget once I can!!!

------------------
'87 Fiero GT Fastback Auto.

IP: Logged
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JaxDomino:

I ran over to Advance Auto Parts and bought a 4 gauge battery wire. Hooked it up to the EGR Sol point and then to the deck mount where the other ground is. Wow!!! My windows go up and down less slower and everything is so bright. I will road test tomorrow on my way to work. Awesome!!! Thanks $RICH$!!! I can't rate you yet, But I won't forget once I can!!!

.......Glad this worked for you.........

Quickster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK,......Ole' "doubting Thomas" here. I broke down and used yer' advise an did a couple of additional ground wires..................WoW! Thank-Yew! Winders' go up and down quicker and the stumbeling went away! Here's a Kiss!! XOXOXO
Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quickster

828 posts
Member since Jan 2002
OK,......Ole' "doubting Thomas" here. I broke down and used yer' advise an did a couple of additional ground wires..................WoW! Thank-Yew! Winders' go up and down quicker and the stumbeling went away! Here's a Kiss!! XOXOXO
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think it matters where you grpund it as lomg as it is grounded. I put one from my battery to strut bolt (the 13mm) from same strut dIfferent bolt to my dag bone bracket. Also have my main ground on the same bolt as my oil pressure sending unit. So I have the body grounded in 2 spots and the motor grounded in 2 spots. Helped, but wasn't the end all solve all.
hatchetrider84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hatchetrider84Click Here to visit hatchetrider84's HomePageSend a Private Message to hatchetrider84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
grounding straps are dyno proven. when i was attending uti we put 7 from engine to body and 5 from negative terminal to body and got 22dyno rear wheel horese power in a 99 sscamero
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A stupid question, but: do you need to disconnect the battery before installing the ground wire to the EGR?
Thanks.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone??
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wouldnt worry about it, but if you are worried... its only one bolt to dis-co. the bat.

------------------
02 Jetta 1.8t
92 BMW 325i
86 Fiero V6
AIM:Onefast2M8

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2005 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed myself one of these, and immediately I could tell there was a difference. The electrical system is much more stable and the idle quit loping, and stays solid. I am also hoping for a 2mpg mileage increase.

PROPS FOR AN AWESOME POST!
-Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is grounding the Decklid hinge to the Engine block important?
Wouldn't grounding the block directly to the single point ground be better?

Speaking of single point grounds ( I'm just learing this stuff from this thread) does that mean if I want to improve the ground to my dashboard ( my dash & radio lights seem to dim in sync with the turn signals) I would need to run a ground from the dash back to the single point ground?

I've got a small wire that goes from the decklid hinge drivers side to a painted black metal panel on the underside of the deck lid. Can anyone identify its' function? Ohmeter says it's not connected to ground.
The neighbor asked me what the panel was for- I told him it was the cover for the "Flux Capacitor". He said he didn't think he had one in his new car- I told him they stopped installing them in '94 because of radiation leakage. He said that sounded familiar. He's an attorney.

PFF
System Bot
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT6666:
I've got a small wire that goes from the decklid hinge drivers side to a painted black metal panel on the underside of the deck lid. Can anyone identify its' function?

I believe that is an RF shield that blocks out radio interference from the car ignition system since we don't have the customary steel hood.

------------------

Visit my website!
David
2 Corinthians 5: 17

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT6666:

Speaking of single point grounds ( I'm just learing this stuff from this thread) does that mean if I want to improve the ground to my dashboard ( my dash & radio lights seem to dim in sync with the turn signals) I would need to run a ground from the dash back to the single point ground?

i would run one from the neg. on he battery to the engine somwhere like below the EGR solonid like i have pictured

it should help

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A solid ground is important to proper ECM operation. It was correctly pointed out here that a bad ground can introduce resistance between the engine and the - battery supply. THis bad connection would then reference the sensors to a point above ground and not at absolute ground. Needless to say false sensor inputs can result and cause timing and/or fueling changes that can adversely affect engine operation. You can find a garden tractor battery cable at Walmart for about $2.00 which has a lug on each end with a hole. This cable can be bolted to the engine and to the point where the battery - cable connects to. A quality ground connection is a MUST on ECM controlled engines and is cheap insurance that performance will be optimized. For $2.00 I recommend that everyone make this modification. On a car as old as a Fiero I'd bet that 80% of the Fieros using the additional ground connection will see some benefit.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome info, expect a + when I'm able! Have the links to the pics expired, or is it a problem on my end? Just wondering, cuz all I see are those beautiful red x's If they are expired, does anyone have any pics of where to ground to? I get the concept, just want to know what the optimum location is to ground to. Thanks!
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure this fits into my post regarding idle problems.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/069443.html

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has designed what is called a "Hypergrounding Kit" for the Fiero which is essentially what you are doing here with the exception that is more than just one cable. I have a "Hypergrounding Kit" in my Infiniti G35 and has made a superb difference in shifting, idle and many other things.

[This message has been edited by alex de jorge (edited 12-26-2005).]

HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
haha...you dont even wanna see the grounding setup on my fiero...theres about 45 feet of 1&1/2 inch wide nickelplated copper ground straps running thoughout the car and in the engine compartment....
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys and gals,

for those of you who may have ?'s in regard to "Hypergrounding", I have a website that may help clarify some of the mistery of it, if any. Here it is: http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7848

Again, I hope this helps some of you.

[This message has been edited by alex de jorge (edited 12-27-2005).]

EightBall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EightBallSend a Private Message to EightBallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried it and it didnt do a whole lot, I just replaced my main ground cable so I didnt expect much anyway

But when I was in there doing it I noticed that the hose indicated by the red arrow in this picture was connected on the end shown in the picture but the other end wasnt connected to anything, is the other end supposed to be connected to something?

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2005 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got my cable and decided to try it.

Have we figured out where the best place is to put it? Here are my options, I have a single 24" cable that I plan on cutting in half or so for 2 grounds.

1) 1 part will go from below the EGR solonoid to either the negative battery terminal or the bottom battery box bolt. Which places is better for it to go to?

2) The next best place from reading I saw was the decklid hinge, but where should this go to?

Will 24" of cable be enough? Thanks a lot guys, my car is experiencing a lot of the issues you guys are claiming to have fixed, so I look forward to putting this on!

------------------

"all pushrod motor are better than the dohc because it has less rotational mass"
-rick17, MyMonte member, owner of a 3100 Monte Carlo LS

PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EightBall:

I tried it and it didnt do a whole lot, I just replaced my main ground cable so I didnt expect much anyway

But when I was in there doing it I noticed that the hose indicated by the red arrow in this picture was connected on the end shown in the picture but the other end wasnt connected to anything, is the other end supposed to be connected to something?

no it dosent go anywhere

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$Rich$

14575 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by AaronZ34:

Well I got my cable and decided to try it.

Have we figured out where the best place is to put it? Here are my options, I have a single 24" cable that I plan on cutting in half or so for 2 grounds.

1) 1 part will go from below the EGR solonoid to either the negative battery terminal or the bottom battery box bolt. Which places is better for it to go to?

2) The next best place from reading I saw was the decklid hinge, but where should this go to?

Will 24" of cable be enough? Thanks a lot guys, my car is experiencing a lot of the issues you guys are claiming to have fixed, so I look forward to putting this on!

i went from the EGR to the battery tray area, then from the same spot on the EGR to the neg on the battery

24" should do it

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2005 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright I'll try that then, with no decklid strap.

Although I am starting my motor swap, I am interested in making my 2.8l do as well as possible before taking it out, and thanks the advice. I won't plus ya, but know that I said thanks, and to me that means more I guess.

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the way, anyone know he size and length of the bolt that holds the EGR Solenoid? Mine is missing and have no clue as to what goes there. Also, where can I et one?
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2005 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has a 15mm head, and is about 15-20mm in length. Sorry I didn't get the exact or the threads.

So I put on two cables, ended up buying a 40" cable, which made both fit perfectly. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. The 40" cost LESS than the 24" cuz they misslabeled it, and I argued with the manager under false advertising and he let me have it for the same price as the 24" cable, which was sweet.

I used both cables are ran one from the EGR bolt to where the factory neg to frame ground is, right on the fender area below the battery. The other once I ran from the EGR bolt to the negative terminal.

Impressions. It seemed to do a lot more on your car's than it did mine, I hardly noticed it. But it is good to have, and good general maintanence. I didn't even check my windows. The car did start right up, which it rarely does, and it did it thrice in a row. We'll see if it starts right up for the rest of the week or not. The car seemed to pick up some high end power, but it was a cool night and the motor wasn't fully warm, I doubt it picked up any power. I'll see whether I'm glad I did it or not in the coming week, but I'm glad you all got good results!

------------------

"all pushrod motor are better than the dohc because it has less rotational mass"
-rick17, MyMonte member, owner of a 3100 Monte Carlo LS

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2005 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AaronZ34

2322 posts
Member since Oct 2004
It is really hard to see where they go, so I'll do my best to explain.

This is the battery. In the lower left you can see the copper ending on one of the grounds, this is the one that goes from the EGR bolt to the factory frame ground. I used sandpaper and degreaser to strip the paint here and clean it as well.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

This is where the EGR bolt is. Follow the cable on the right down, and you can see a silver terminal. The silver terminal is the line to the frame, but this is the same bolt that the negative battery ground goes as well.

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that spot that you ground off the paint ... hit that with some good grease or some paint or it will get real crusty real quick
3atsH0ndas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3atsH0ndasClick Here to visit 3atsH0ndas's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3atsH0ndasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ for you $Rich$ I tried this trick tonight and indeed my windows go up and down faster. It also improved the perfomance of my PDL as well now it only takes one push of the switch instead of 3 or 4.

3atsH0ndas

BraveRon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BraveRonSend a Private Message to BraveRonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THANK U $RICH$ !!!!
I installed a 4ga Stereo ground strap as shown. The result was an impressive change in a number of things. Firstly and most importantly my 2.8 is running much smoother and stronger. The very first thing I noticed when I reconnected the battery was the trunk light was whiter and brighter. Since I havn't had the car for long (one month) I don't have a lot of history with it. I also found that some previous owner had run a braided ground strap from a bolt close to the one u used, to a bolt on the deck lid. It had pulled apart from the connector on one end, so was dangling in space. I reconnected that as well. Again...thanks for keeping the post alive. It was probably the cheapest and most effective thing I have done with the car to date (other than replacing the ashtray covers....lol)
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys
its cheep and in 95% of the time people notice a differance
PFF
System Bot
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hooked up my Hypergrounding Kit today. It works awesome! Evrything in the cars its just better. Blinkers work better, some of my gauges that were acting up now work. It shifts better. I am including pics. The cables go to four different places. They all start at the negative side of the battery and from there to:

1. The EGR solenoid bolt
2. Plenum
3. Tranny
4. alternator

I hope this helps!

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

alex de jorge

501 posts
Member since Nov 2005
From the Battery
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

alex de jorge

501 posts
Member since Nov 2005
From the Plenum
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

alex de jorge

501 posts
Member since Nov 2005
EGR Solenoid
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you really have idling issues, this isn't a job for the mechanically faint-of-heart and clumsy fingered (me). In other words, "if it ain't broke....".
I found there is another piece of equipment above the solenoid bracket, and that piece does not appear in $Rich"s$ picture. You have to remove that, and the metal piece above the passenger's side rear strut, if you want to have any hope of getting to the bolt in the drawing. And, all that insulation and wire is 20 years old. One false move and you are hosed!
The fact that I was able to do the task amazes me, since I have absolutely no mechanical talent or dexterity.
However, I thank $Rich$ for the post, even though it was a bruised-knuckle-obsentiy-laced ordeal for me!!
bb
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alex de jorge:
From the Plenum

Plenum bolts are stainless steel. I didn't think they made a good ground? Correct me if I'm wrong

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gokart,

I don't know if the bolt in the plenum by itself makes a difference. Since there no real precedence for installing a "hypergrounding" kit in a Fiero, I used my Infiniti G35 as an example to follow. Since installing this kit as I mentioned, it has made a big difference in my car. My blinkers which used to blink slowly now blink much faster. Some of my gauges used to jump around and they no longer do that. My shifts are much smother and nicer. Also, my car idles incredibly. This type of thing will make small diffrence in some cars and bigger in others. I hope this has clarified some.

alex

Shibbypoopalot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShibbypoopalotSend a Private Message to ShibbypoopalotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw some people in the thread that didn't know what kind of cable to use for the grounding. This just popped into my head and is what I'm gonna do.... Ford uses a dual-solenoid setup on their starters. Why not use a switch-to-starter cable? It has the loop ends on both ends, is plenty long, plenty of power handling (over 100 amps) and should be a decent quality pre-made wire, so I dont have to worry about the ends corroding off in a few months.

Advance carries them on hand if anyone is interested. I know I am, since I work there....

Oh, a plus if this helps in the least bit. I like these kind of upgrades, little or no money, and easy. Yay.

FierosinKY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosinKYSend a Private Message to FierosinKYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody tried this on an iron duke?

Mike

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay