EVERYONE with a V6 please Read by $Rich$
Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59616 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely an amazing upgrade. Costed me 5 dollars to do and I truly feel a difference when driving: better acceleration better idling

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget to click on the ads!
http://educatorstop15.we.bs/fieropage.htm

IP: Logged
ambfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ambfieroSend a Private Message to ambfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
adding to favorites
max1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for max1Send a Private Message to max1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!!!! 5 more months and this thread is 5 Years old!!! The longevity of this threads life speaks volumes as to how beneficial this easy upgrade is, I remember 1st reading this a few years ago and adding an extra ground the very next day.
Ever since I saw this thread I tell anyone I happen to be talking to who is working on Their car, that They should also do this. Once again $Rich$.....GREAT THREAD!!!
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick bump to the top of the list for a good ,economical, and effective upgrade.
And a thread that shouldn't die.

Good night all.

~Bob

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

JustinusMagnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinusMagnusSend a Private Message to JustinusMagnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for Posting and Bumping this. I going to do this with my Fiero as some as I can. This may also help smooth out the idle in my MR2
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$Rich$

Read this thread (or part of it) a few months ago and installed a ground today and YES it does smooth out that idle! Thanks for starting this thread.
Is the factory ground the one in the imaged circled?

sparx22

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 09-27-2008).]

85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2008 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm new to the forum, but I can tell you this; with our engine going in and out of this car on a regular basis, you CAN tell when the ground straps are not connected.

------------------
"If you can't fix it with a hammer,
it must be an electrical problem."

Spoilt_87fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2008 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is such a beneficial upgrade and easy enough for anybody 2 do. props to Rich a true fiero enthusaist trying to help others. + 2 u

------------------
http://i256.photobucket.com...t9102/PICT0396-2.jpg

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2008 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
great post rich. thanx for putting this up. i added the grounds that people are talking about on here and i lost a shudder that i used to hav around 45mph/2k-2.5k rpms. car runs a lot nicer now.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a kit I found that may be useful for anyone doing this work:
http://www.parts-express.co...m?Partnumber=100-935

I was thinking of buying this wire and machining my own ground plate, similar to those ebay kits.
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2009 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lookin 2 giv rich the + he deserves now that iv been a member long enough and found out this was page 5 or 6. just thinkin this should stay up top 4 ny new members who havnt seen it.
PFF
System Bot
never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a big helpful bump
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ambfiero:

adding to favorites

holy crap, AMBFIERO, you are my hero! I didn't know about favorites! I'm gonna start using that feature! Is this enough exclamation points??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there some magical reason this only applies to the V6? It seems like a good step to take on ANY engine, isn't it? I've got a 4cyl, and after reading a few parts of this thread, it's something I'm gonna have to do as well :P Thanks for posting this thread, I never would have thought of such a thing, or that it could make a difference!

[This message has been edited by Twilight Fenrir (edited 01-26-2009).]

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Twilight Fenrir:

Is there some magical reason this only applies to the V6? It seems like a good step to take on ANY engine, isn't it? I've got a 4cyl, and after reading a few parts of this thread, it's something I'm gonna have to do as well :P Thanks for posting this thread, I never would have thought of such a thing, or that it could make a difference!

You mean you didn't read all 8 pages spanning over 5 years? This mod applies to all cars because all cars have electric ignition systems. If you improve your ground, you boost the capacity of your entire electrical system. I've been doing alot of nice things to my Fiero lately ( i spoil it) and I might as well add this to my list. Once again $rich$, GREAT TH-- nevermind.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the idea of this mod. I need to try it sometime.

Could someone distill the information from the last 5 years in a post or two? (with pictures)
I would like to just print one page or two, take it to the garage and use it as a how-to.

Maybe start it off with a shopping list: (good/better/best choice of materials)

Thanks.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is simple do not complicate,, make sure your current grounds are clean and tight ,,this is one of the great post on this forum you can buy different length wires at any auto parts store ,,read genuis RICH post & answers,, and make at least one new ground wire from engine to frame clean bright connections,,keep it simple !! if needed drill hole in frame or frame bracket..
Im sure photos will be comming ..make sure the negative battery large wire and small wire are clean and bright ..this is first step
telefragg3d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for telefragg3dSend a Private Message to telefragg3dEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds good...i'll try it real soon here. post some pics or something too.

- Ken
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah its really simple. put a wire from the negative terminal on the battery to A) any point on the steel frame of the car B) stock location is an otherwise pointless bolt less than a foot to the left of the battery on the pita side of the engine. there might be the scraps of a wire there, mine had some before i did this. no pics tho, cuz my computer hates all outside hardware plug ins
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been have trouble with my dome and courtesy lights staying on, wonder if this would help?
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a lawn mower battery cable and ran it from the coil bracket to one of the shock tower bolt. There was a definite improvement in engine performance but it didn't help my other electrical issues.
PFF
System Bot
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2009 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check the connections for the dome/courtesy lights. should b easy to get at them, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...092122.html#lastpost
look through that and u should see how to do so.
EDIT: this is a 56k beware thread.

[This message has been edited by Nohbdy (edited 02-13-2009).]

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2009 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nohbdy

587 posts
Member since Dec 2008
just wondering, not trying to insult u, but did u connect the shock tower bolt to the negative battery terminal with another wire? if not then u should, and that will prolly do it for u.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cant beleive this thread is still hanging in there
Edaw 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Edaw 0Send a Private Message to Edaw 0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, back to tha top with ya!

Went to check and my ground strap, uhh, well, disintegrated. I'm not even sure where or if it was attached to the block, so I ran a piece of 4 gauge from the deck hinge to the dog bone mount and a piece of 10 gauge from the EGR bolt to a strut bolt. It's overcast, but pretty bright out so I can't comment on the dash lights, but

car starts with AUTHORITY now.
idle is much better.
my tach really does work.
the windows are a bit faster
the cooling fan is quieter?
but that could be because the radio is clearer, or crisp... well, I don't have to turn it up as loud as before.
it actually drives better, much smoother and this is going to sound weird but, the car seems... calm.

Thank you $Rich$.

edit: should I run that first wire to te block and if so where and leave the 10 gauge or go with 4?

[This message has been edited by Edaw 0 (edited 05-02-2009).]

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dosent matter, try a few things if you want, 4 is larger and generally larger is better, so give 4 ga a whirl if you have some laying arround
FieroJonney

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Thanks Rich! This simple upgrade has done everything you all said it would!
Simply amazing... idle was 1000-800 and now it's steady 900
Thanks!!
fissionman924

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2009 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fissionman924Send a Private Message to fissionman924Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing fix. I just did this to my car yesterday using a 6 gauge battery cable I picked up from autozone. It fixed the problem I was having with the idle fluctuating and made it so I could actually use my blinkers and windows without the car backfiring. Amazing what a good ground connection can do. Thanks so much!
L67 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67 GTSend a Private Message to L67 GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for bringing this to the top fellas. A quick cursory inspection of the L67 swapped 87 GT I got shows no engine to chassis grounds! I'll be picking one up in the AM for sure. Day off tomorrow so I'll have some updates for you guys :-)
ULTRA-kV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2009 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ULTRA-kV6Send a Private Message to ULTRA-kV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kuddos for the extra strap here as well. I used an 8 inch piece of leftover 4 gauge Stinger wire from my enormous stereo install a couple months back. Awesome results! One of the best is that my windows go up and down ALOT FASTER. If ya have not done this yet, by all means, take 10 minutes and do it.
fierogt455

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt455Send a Private Message to fierogt455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My horn kept blowing the fuse each time I tried to use it. I used the search and found this thread. After I added two straps the horn problem was resolved; also my idling improved! This thread is timeless.

Big +

Freeman
PFF
System Bot
hksteck84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hksteck84Send a Private Message to hksteck84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BRILLIANT.. Going to set it up as soon as I get home.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so the wire isnt actually hooked up to the negative battery terminal? Its just attached to the battery tray bolt, and the Solinoid bolt? Am i correct?

Seems easy enough, once i get my fuel pump changed and get the car running again, ill definatly give this a try.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 12-05-2009).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible I could have negative cables made up with several extra wires for additional grounds. They could be made to look similar to the factory OEM ground cable.

Anyone interested?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

It is possible I could have negative cables made up with several extra wires for additional grounds. They could be made to look similar to the factory OEM ground cable.

Anyone interested?

I would be interested
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ for $Rich$

Just did this mod to my 87 GT with 60,000 miles on it and it definitely made a difference.
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Somehow I missed this thread. This will be my next upgrade! Props for keeping this thread alive so people like me stumble on it!
Phoenix4404

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phoenix4404Click Here to visit Phoenix4404's HomePageSend a Private Message to Phoenix4404Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump & I have got to try this...

------------------

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i picked up a 87 gt yesterday and the ground strap sounds real good to me. my car runs a little rough and an extra ground will be my next thing to do. i have doing alot of reading and every one is verry helpful here. i am a prowed owner of a 1987 fiero gt with almost 30,000 thousand miles on it. i drove it home and i got 30 mpg but another ground will never hurt.
F6GT-86wisconsin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F6GT-86wisconsinSend a Private Message to F6GT-86wisconsinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put in the ground and it works great!! Faster windows, brighter lights!! Very Cool.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock