Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59551 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just used a high quality 4 gauge stereo power wire, stinger or monster cable i forget which, but any quality cable will do

im glad that people use the search function and that my help is appreaciated its nice to see this back up at the top again for all the Noobies to see

------------------

Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8
white-- 86se V6 daily driver
Gold--- 86se 355 SBC

IP: Logged
528sosb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 528sosbSend a Private Message to 528sosbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i made an 8g strap like rich after i did one like paul taylor (in your thread) and didnt get any noticeable results. i probably need to change my coil, wires and dist cap and button after sitting for 6 years, would this be my problem? its kinda frustrating since everybody elses seems to have worked.

thanks
88gt 2.8

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
obviously.. if your car is in NEED of new plugs/wires/cap/rotor, then that would be a good start, be sure to maybe do a new Pick-up coil aswell,
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy MONKEY! out of curiosity i went out just now and added a second neg battery cable (my battery has two sets of terminals) and attatched the other end to the EGR sensor Bolt and WOW! no BS, my windows go up and down faster as wwll as my headlight motors. i'll have to wait untill night time to seee what improvements to the display lighting has happened.

BIG fat + from me. thanks

------------------
-Monkey

9 Fieros....help

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, +'s returned
Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2004 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MY SHIMMY IS GONE.. lol this is the F-ing miracle cure for these cars.. my car runs a whole lot better too! $rich$ definetly gets + from me... "wants to go back out and drive now" !!! i used a shielded battery cable and ran it from the EGR bolt to the bolt where the ground wire from the battery goes.. im impressed, my windows run better too along with the switch cleaning guide.
528sosb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2004 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 528sosbSend a Private Message to 528sosbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, i changed my wires, plugs, dist cap & rotor button, and coil. i didnt mention that i get a popping noise from the speakers when the radio is on and i use the blinkers, wipers, or hit the brakes. this happens whether the engine is on or not. as i said above, i put new grounds on where rich said and from the plenum to strut tower to neg batt cable and replaced the factory ground from the decklid hinge to the block and still havent gotten the results other people have here. could the radio being bad effect so much? please help
caar does run better with new dist cap and such
DanielKJenkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielKJenkinsSend a Private Message to DanielKJenkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a guess.

The radio should have an internal capacitor to filter out noise. Is it possible that the cap in the radio is blown open?

Could an external cap be added in the circuitry before the radio to filter the incoming noise?

DanielKJenkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2004 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielKJenkinsSend a Private Message to DanielKJenkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DanielKJenkins

439 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Hmmm.

Maybe a problem with the shielded cable to the antenna?

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bump

I picked up my ground wire and I'm gonna try this tonight!

exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All this talk about ground wires got me out peering around my engine compartment. What I found was the factory ground that runs from the block to the battery tray was broken and the battery tray was all but gone. Did someone say that Fieros don't rust? Luckily, they'll still available from the dealer... $50 Canadian. Anyway, I replaced the ground cable and added two more (one from EGR bolt to the battery tray and one from the transmission to the car's frame). The idle is certainly more stable but I really hope that the gas mileage improves! Something in the neighbourhood of 45-50mpg would be nice.

------------------
Still plays with cars!

1986 Fiero GT
1969 Porsche 912

PFF
System Bot
YellowRooster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowRoosterSend a Private Message to YellowRoosterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow Rich, bet you never thought this would turn into what it has. AWESOME JOB here, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I did what you said it didn't fix my cruise problem !!!!!!!!!!!!! HEHEHEHE

No seriously great pointer here!

Mike

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I connected a wire from the positive battery terminal to my left shoulder and it made my manual window go up much faster...

he he...

JK, I gave you a plus for the great idea!

-Rick Stewart

Jhonny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JhonnyClick Here to visit Jhonny's HomePageSend a Private Message to JhonnyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do also check your exhaust ground as it is essential for proper oxygen sensor operation.

/// Jhonny

------------------
Pontiac Fiero GT -87 , V6 5spd

exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where's the exhaust grounded?

------------------
Still plays with cars!

1986 Fiero GT
1969 Porsche 912

Jhonny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JhonnyClick Here to visit Jhonny's HomePageSend a Private Message to JhonnyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its grounded through the exhaust manifold bolts. As rust develops its questionable how good the ground actually is after all these years. Measure the resistance to be sure between the outer shell of the oxygen sensor and ground on engine and chassis.

/// Jhonny

------------------
Pontiac Fiero GT -87 , V6 5spd

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the resistance from battory to engine block with a meter. It showed perfect.

I did find one of my gounds was bad. I took off the one that goes from the NEG batt term, to below the battory.

It was all rusted and dirty. I cleaned it and bolted it onto the EGR controler.

I seem to be getting a better idel. My meter shows the same reading though.

The thing was really crusty and something everyone with a fiero should for sure clean/inspect.

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its been a few months and there are alot of noobies here , i just thought i'd bump it back up to the top for a while again
i have also added another Pc. of 4Ga. from the same spot under the EGR Solinoid directly to the negative terminal on the Battery,

just a bump for the noobies or anyone else who midded it in the past

------------------
Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8:98 Black GTP 2 Dr
3.25 pulley,magnuson snout, RAT stage 2 MAF, RAT PCM,
TOG Headers, Borla cat back, 3” to mufflers, No cat, 160 stat, Big brakes, Eibach's, KYB’s PRJ 10mm Wires, autolite 104’s, and more
white-- 86se V6 daily driver--Slammed
Gold--- 86se 355 SBC-- never gonna be finished
92 325I slammed with basic mods

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm makes me wonder if thats why my car starts up like crap, well I should say a little rough, gives me an idea

------------------
http://formula.cryptnix.com

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ome more Bump
waddisme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for waddismeSend a Private Message to waddismeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks $rich; although my car runs great, I bet it will run better. By the way, thanks for bumping. As a noobie, i missed all this before.

[This message has been edited by waddisme (edited 08-26-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
grathke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grathkeSend a Private Message to grathkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rich... Being a newbiew this is greatly appreciated !!!!!

Glenn

EMFORCE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EMFORCESend a Private Message to EMFORCEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My radio has a lot of noise (especially on AM) that it did not have before I had my starter replaced - Could this be a ground wire in the area that was forgotten to be reattached, or something else?

------------------
EMFORCE
'88 Formula (Silver)
3.4 L, 5-speed
Performance tires/wheels, sound system, electrics, exhaust, etc.
(New Mr. Mike's seats- Italian design))

Wraith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WraithSend a Private Message to WraithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has any one tried adding a ground strap from the alternator to engine block and the battery ground? I just recently put a new alternator in and noticed that the grounding for the alternator could probably be better. Today I checked the ohm’s between the case of the alternator and the battery ground and notice it could be better. The reading between the alternator case and the bracket was like .7ohm’s. So I think the contact between the alternator bracket and the engine block isn’t is good as it could be on my car.
joedirt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joedirtSend a Private Message to joedirtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the trouble, at least on a duke, is that the negative post on the block and the positive batt post are really close. I ran a strap there to the decklid hinge stud and I can definitely attest to the same findings of everyone else. $Rich$ also got a + from me
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got some 4 gauge braided high quality stereo wire from a stereo shop. It's worth a shot... I dont think my engine even has a ground already there. I'll edit tomorrow with my experience.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Okay well I installed it and then I turned my key, accessories came on, then I turned the key and I could hear the starter solenoid engage, "click, ... click click.... click" and nothing, my car wouldn't start! While the starter was engaging, all the lights went off. SO I disconnect the ground and eveything is back to normal. This is really strange don't you think? And while I was moving some wires aside infront of the battery, the trunk light went out as if I disconnected the battery. I moved the wires back and then the trunk light came on and my stereo made this "blip" sound just like it does everytime I reconnect the battery.

I definitely have some other kind of ground/power problem in that area and I can't figure it out. When the engine gets hot my starter sometimes doesn't engage at all, or struggles big time. I'm not getting the proper voltage for sure.

Somebody want to help?

joedirt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joedirtSend a Private Message to joedirtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd venture a bad negative battery cable. When you moved it to add a ground, it disturbed what connection was left and just happened to hit the sweet spot again when it was reattached w/out the ground. Try a new Battery Cable, and see if it works.

I would also check the starter post wires and the pos cable too. something might be dry-rotted/burned and shorting.

[This message has been edited by joedirt (edited 08-30-2004).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joedirt:

I'd venture a bad negative battery cable. When you moved it to add a ground, it disturbed what connection was left and just happened to hit the sweet spot again when it was reattached w/out the ground. Try a new Battery Cable, and see if it works.

I think so too, the cable is sort of in a "U" shape in one area and I squeezed it to make it more of a "V" and the lights went out. Kind of like kinking a hose and the water stops coming out. Really weird. *sigh* now I gotta get new battery cables. It never ends.

joedirt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joedirtSend a Private Message to joedirtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nope, it never does
grathke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grathkeSend a Private Message to grathkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this ground cable system on eBay and purchased it for 9.99. The price seemed reasonable, but the shipping was a scam.

Here is the installation. Didn't make much of a difference though, my grounds must have been good.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by grathke (edited 10-04-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
waddisme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waddismeSend a Private Message to waddismeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i ran some 4ga wire i had left from my power amp just like ritch said. And now, my car idles smooth as a new car once it warms up, the passenger side window, which used to take at least 15 second to go up, is up in 5 seconds and the headlights also go up quicker. However, the dash lights are not much brighter but i can live with that. Good call Ritch!

------------------
'85 GT 2.8L Auto 120K DRIVEN DAILY

2fn4wrds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fn4wrdsSend a Private Message to 2fn4wrdsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump and... Article with dyno results of improved grounding.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0401cae_hyper

[This message has been edited by 2fn4wrds (edited 10-18-2004).]

birdpoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for birdpooSend a Private Message to birdpooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+++ for rich...
Jim Krause

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim KrauseSend a Private Message to Jim KrauseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a general rule when troubleshooting any electrical system, look for bad grounds. Good grounds/earths are a necessity especially on computer operated systems. I remember helping my grandson with an old VW bus that had lighting problems and corroded ground points were the only problems we found. Cleaning up the existing terminals will help too.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
been 2 months, time for another bump

i recently added another ground to my GTP and it too idles better, they are known to have ground issues aswell, it almost seems ALL cars do!!!

------------------
Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8:98 Black GTP 2 Dr
3.25 pulley,magnuson snout, 72mm TB, RAT PCM,
TOG Headers, Borla cat back, 3” to mufflers, No cat, 160 stat, Big brakes, Eibach's, KYB’s PRJ 10mm Wires, autolite 104’s, and more
white-- 86se V6 FOR SALE $1,500
Gold86se 355 SBC, 92 BMW 325i

debug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for debugClick Here to visit debug's HomePageSend a Private Message to debugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got a big ol' piece of 2 gauge battery cable and added an extra ground to my 2.8 and I do have to say that it made a difference. The thing definately idles better. The blinkers actually blink at a decent rate now instead of once every 5 seconds or so like they used to Pretty good effect for a 5 dollar mod I think You will get a plus from me as soon as I can give you one Rich

-Randy

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess Im gonna have to do this on my Formula. Sounds like its a proven mod.

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

fast86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fast86seSend a Private Message to fast86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this may be a stupid question, but oh well, i am relocating my battery, will this affect anything?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

i recently added another ground to my GTP and it too idles better, they are known to have ground issues aswell, it almost seems ALL cars do!!!

Were you serious about the $19.99 kit? I would like to add a ground strap without searching all over for 2 gauge wire or whatever it should be.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock