EVERYONE with a V6 please Read by $Rich$
Started on: 11-08-2003 01:08 AM
Replies: 380 (59573 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 03-03-2023 10:15 AM
mize

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mizeClick Here to visit mize's HomePageSend a Private Message to mizeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just measured 30 - 34 ohms from the negative battery terminal to the block. Do you guys think it would make a difference to add a ground strap to try to reduce the resistance further? Or is ~30 ohms OK?
IP: Logged
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierosinKY:

Has anybody tried this on an iron duke?

Mike

should work,, give it a try

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$Rich$

14575 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by mize:

I just measured 30 - 34 ohms from the negative battery terminal to the block. Do you guys think it would make a difference to add a ground strap to try to reduce the resistance further? Or is ~30 ohms OK?

give it a try its literly under a $5 mod, and may be verry well worth it, and should only take up 10min worth of your time

HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gotta remember everywone..electricity flows from negitive to positive not positive to negitive...the more the ground the better, even if your a radio nut like me
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kirchoff's Current Law

Essentially, the sum of the currents entering a node (component) equals the sum of the currents leaving a node.

So, as far as power handling capability, your positive side should be the same as your negative side, since the current flow is equal both going into and leaving the component, whether you use whole flow or electron flow as your way of making sense of electricity.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I normally check this in volts, not ohms - gives a better idea what you are losing - ohms is kinda vague for most people. yes, you will see a voltage. thats the voltage that is NOT making it to your starter, headlights, window motors, etc.

mize

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mizeClick Here to visit mize's HomePageSend a Private Message to mizeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I normally check this in volts, not ohms - gives a better idea what you are losing - ohms is kinda vague for most people. yes, you will see a voltage. thats the voltage that is NOT making it to your starter, headlights, window motors, etc.

So you're saying to measure it while the engine is running? All I was doing was checking static resistance between the block and the negative battery terminal. The resistance is what we're trying to fix. If you measure voltage, couldn't that indicate other things than just a bad ground?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you're saying to measure it while the engine is running? All I was doing was checking static resistance between the block and the negative battery terminal. The resistance is what we're trying to fix. If you measure voltage, couldn't that indicate other things than just a bad ground?

running, not running, while starting - all three will give you idea on how bad your ground is.
no, it tell you only the voltage drop caused by the resistance in the battery to block connectoin - ie ground
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also the resistance will change depending on the load thru the connection.
IE when you measure the resistance you are measuring it static or kind of under idea conditions.

When you measure the voltage difference from the engine to the batt. your measuring under real conditions.

With high current flows the resistance will change as connections heat up from the current possibly making a big change in the resistance. The only way you can measure the real resistance is by knowing the actual current flowing and dividing that into the voltage drop. Since you can't easily measure the current (at least not when starting) any voltage drop is a bad thing.

Just to give an example. Let's say the cable and connections from the batt. to the starter have only .02 ohms of resistance. That does not sound like much right! Now you start your engine, what do your think it might pull for current 50 amps sound reasonable? .02 X 50 = 1 volt lost. So your starter is already down to 11 volts. If you have ever had a dirty batt. connection and touched it after you have started the car they can get really hot.

Bottom line. If you are measuring a voltage drop, correct the problem however you can....

mize

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mizeClick Here to visit mize's HomePageSend a Private Message to mizeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I stuck to using the static resistance using a DVOM between a couple of points on the engine and the negative battery terminal. I added two ground straps and (for comparison sake) now measure ~.01 ohms. The idle is better...still hunts a small amount, but that may be due to the ECM getting reset.

I am happy I did this simple "mod". Now I have to figure out why my tach always reads 200 RPM higher than the ALDL output says.

Steve

HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

if there is enough Intrest in doing this mod i will throw to gether a redy to install "Kit" that will include the ready to install NEW "HIGH Preformance " Ground Strap, full color Photo's and a full List of detailed instructions For the Introductory LOW-LOW price of Just $19.95..... But wait.... Act Now and you will Also recive......

Ahh nevermind

Actually, you could get a pretty good price out of most of us for a kit to repalce all the ground straps with additional ones where you think they are needed. Personally, I'd appreciate a simple writeup with lengths and pictures of the locations a lot more.

[This message has been edited by HellYes (edited 02-12-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you were to go pick up like 3-4' of 4 gauge power or heavy duty welding ground wire and some 4ga. ring treminals it would cost you under $10 $15 topps, i just picked up 8 4 ga ring terminals from menards for under $3 it was 2 packs 4 pcs each and i think it was $1.19 each pack of 4
i happened to have some 4 gauge arround in the garage

currently im running one from the egr solonid bolt to the chassie by the battery tray, one from the same spot on the battery tray area to the - on the bat, and one from the lower decklid hinge bolt to the - on the bat.

just take the cable and lay it out in the desired area to find out the desired length and mark it and cut

you could do all 3 of these grounds like i have done for under $15 im sure....
if i were to make up a kit by the time i facter in $5 ish for shipping and like a few $$ for my time and effort.. its not really worth it for me to make them and sell them for like $25 shipped
when it is somthing that is soo simple of a DIY
i mean all you need to do is operate a wire strippers and a ratchet and a crimper or even a hammer if needed to crimp the ring terminals on

maybe one of these days ill update my pics with the added straps i have on the decklid hinge and such

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AH! i'm trying this when i go home for break

i totally forgot about this thread, *click add to favorites*

------------------

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP for this great thread.
fieroman_5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this mod, though I did not measure the resistance before and after. I can tell you that the idle is slightly smoother and someone said the wipers wipe faster and they do! Mine wipe slightly faster (noticable). not as dramatic as I acpected but worth the $4~ for the cable from the auto store.
max1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for max1Send a Private Message to max1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just wanted to post to keep this GREAT thread up top. I have spent the last 3 weeks + dealing with codes... ='s replaced IAC, O2, TPS, swapped MAP from parts car, cleaned EGR, swapped EGR selenoid from parts car, all because of a stumble at initial take off that turned to bucking at certain RPM's...worst in 4th gear. Ended up with codes 13 & 21 STILL , also went from 24mpg to 12mpg through all this!!!!!!! Well NOW I believe/hope/pray I have found the answer to My problems. As it is dark I'll do this Tomorrow after work...it will be GREAT to give My sis Her car back and get My "Street Legal Go-Cart" back : ) : ) : ) THX $Rich$
max1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for max1Send a Private Message to max1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

max1

213 posts
Member since May 2002
just gave You a Bunch of pluses $Rich$......well deserved
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is a timeless post that should stay near the top for all to see.
I would add a few things to do while shredding yourself under the hood:
1. at the left side of the foward head are 2 grounds, clean them up carefully and reinstall. easy to do when the engine is out,
rough to do when installed, both these are ecm grounds and need to be good. on the manual, there is another one at low foward bell housing to block bolt, not sure where it is on the auto, clean that one as well.
2. when installing new grounds remember to clean and use star type washers that will contact the ring with the teeth all the way around, and install to a well cleaned surface. notice the factory ones all use star types, this is t assure a good mechanical contact, not to act just as a lockwasher.
3. if possible, solder the crimped in wire, will stop future corrosion there, more important in damp areas and northern areas where you have salt.
4. after installing a new ground and cleaning the surface, a lite coat of paint will do wonders to keep the area protected from moisture that will wick under the connection points and grow corrosion, again more important in damp areas. corrosion = resistance.

adding grounds is a safety net, the more you have, the less chance of a problem. even if all get some corrosion, resistance is reduced with parallel connections, so you are less likely to get stranded in a worst case scenario.

+'s to $Rich$ for keeping this out there.

------------------
88 GT 2.8l 5spd
76 30' ChrisCraft Tournament S/F
who has time for anything else?

replica9000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for replica9000Click Here to visit replica9000's HomePageSend a Private Message to replica9000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after reading nearly the entire thread I think I am going to try this tomorrow. I just picked up my Fiero and it starting to run smoother as it gets warmer, but hopefully adding a couple new grounds will help more. Unlike my other cars the cold really affects how smooth this car runs. If I get it done I'll let everyone know how it turned out.

------------------
1988 Yellow GT T-top #581

replica9000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for replica9000Click Here to visit replica9000's HomePageSend a Private Message to replica9000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I added two ground wires to the engine, and well not a huge difference, the car does idle a bit smoother, both headlights pop-up at the same time, seems to accelerate smoother, and attracts better looking women at the gas station lol.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

------------------
1988 Yellow GT T-top #581
Cardomain

[This message has been edited by replica9000 (edited 03-12-2006).]

DJWINNI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys,

I 've also added 2 ground first between the battery and the chassis, then between the chassis and the engine...

see below:

I noticed some differences!
-engine starts quickly
-idle smoother
-windows go up/down quickly
-headlights pop up quickly
-lights are brighter
-finally idles at 900, and before at 975

finally, it's much much better with these ground straps!!!

thanks!!

------------------
Christophe **1986 PONTIAC FIERO - V6/2,8L**

[This message has been edited by DJWINNI (edited 03-20-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I just did this on my 86SE. And I have to say that it does run alot better.

I think that I gave you a + but If I did not I am going to give you one

Vladd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VladdSend a Private Message to VladdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just thought i would chime in, i haven't read every post, so just correct me if someone has already said this. What you all are doing is something very common in the car audio world, usually referred to as the "big 3"

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152355

Upgrading all these should help you guys out (not cause you're pushing 5kilowatts of power but because of the age of the wiring.)

Also a lot of the time your DMM's leads will still have more resistance than the wire you're using so measuring the resistance can be misleading.

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awsome Post!! I cant wiat to try this myself. Totaly makes sense. Ohms law
Voltage x resistance= current. The lower the resistance the more current flow, and less of a voltage drop. These cars have so many sensors that need to have all the parameters on the mark, not to mention the ECM. What happens is if the voltage is erratic going to the ECM all of the drive transistors, IC's etc will not see the correct voltages they need to see to "turn on and off" correctly. I know this as I used to repair audio gear for a living and seen first hand what bad grounds can do. Since the dist modual needs to have proper ground, I wonder what would happen if a grounded was added directly to the dist to battery gnd?????
Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I performed this mod today,

I ran a new ground from the battery to the body and then the same one $RICH$ ran.

i have to say, great easy mod...everything seems brighter and runs faster and my RPMS have dropped about 200 at idle...very nice indeed.

- Phil

------------------

"When enough is enough, thats when you know.....your halfway there"

[This message has been edited by Phil86SE (edited 04-21-2006).]

Toms88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toms88Click Here to visit Toms88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Toms88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damned good idea. I'm sure mine needs to be replaced. Thanks for the tip!
trailboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trailbossSend a Private Message to trailbossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

this is a timeless post that should stay near the top for all to see.

I guess that is my motivation for chiming in...

Based on all of Rich'$ other post's I knew that this would be a profitable thing to do, but for whatever reason, when wrenching on my car I forgot about this avice or I put it on the back burner. After adding the new ground strap, the difference in performance was incredible....idling, acceleration, and shifting were the most obvious improvements. At the same time I decided to replace the battery cables because quite a few years ago while working on another car, I was amazed how much corrosion was in a positive battery cable when I stripped the insulation off, and my Fiero just turned 20, so I figured it was time.
Someone asked earlier about the benefit of doing the same thing on a Duke, If I still had my Dukemobile, it would definitely be getting the same treatment, the cost and time versus the potential benefit makes this upgrade a no brainer.
Rich gave me a ground, but I gave him a positive a long time ago....
Thanks again to Cliff also for keeping the forum running smoothly.

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this yesterday. Figured why the heck not. So far I have noticed:

Smoother idle
Brighter Headlights
Smoother Accereration
Smarter Cruise Control
Snappier Shifting

Cool for under $10!

------------------
-Brady

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive had a few PM's latley about the subject, so i figured i'd bump it from the dead
never2old

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I sent $rich$ a question. I thought he was replacing cables.If I understand correctly he was adding {as his first post said}
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it wasnt just you,, every few weeks or so someone pm's me about it
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would add one more thing.

Go out and buy some copper conductive grease and disconeect the grounds from your block, clean the connection point to super clean and shiney and then apply the grease then put the connection back on. From my past experience with a 2m4 the fiero benefits from this big time. IT limits the amount of corrosion and also gives you a better connection because of the copper in the grease getting smushed between the bolt and block.

Although almost all Fieros can do with new battery cables about every 5 years.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ues, i should add that it helps in the long run to use the copper grease or i just use the clear electro cundictive grease, the same stuff you should be using on your plug wire boots

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
02 Jetta 1.8t
98 GTI 2.slow
02 CBR 954RR

never2old

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just HAD to add this.
I was having , what I thought was a starter issue. After crawling under the car and dreading even trying to replace the starter I decided to give Rich's idea a try.
Up to this point I had been cranking the engine to where the battery would discharge.
Replaced the ground strap and NO MORE starting problems. Lights appear to be brighter, especially in the trunk, which I guess is where you would notice it first.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added the ground from the battery to the EGR solenoid and it seemed to help alittle, but my gauges are still kinda dim, my windows are still pretty slow, i have to push the button for my door locks twice, my turn signals almost stop when i have the headlights on but when they are off it is kinda slow but not nearly as bad, and my headlights are dim as well. I think i may just need new headlights cause i have not replaced them since i have owned the car, but i dont know about the windows and gauges. It has a new alternator and battery if that helps. Any suggestions? Any other place that needs to be grounded that would help a little? Thanks
The ROK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The ROKSend a Private Message to The ROKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you do this do you have to disconect the neg side 1st?
cropduster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cropdusterSend a Private Message to cropdusterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnecting the negative cable first is a good idea because that way if the wrench hits anything, no sparks! You can almost weld with the amps a battery puts out!! Now the positive cable can be disconnected (if you need to clean it) and if the wrench hits the frame, no sparks. Reconnect positive first, then negative.
cropduster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cropdusterSend a Private Message to cropdusterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cropduster

145 posts
Member since Oct 2006
Hey, I'm doing this mod and looking at all this negative cable, grounding and all then I looked at the puny positive wire. The large cable goes directly to the starter and nowhere else. The smaller wire, and I mean smaller! goes to power ALL of the car's power. Doesn't that seem kind of a small wire with headlights, wiper, A/C on, cooling fan, etc all at the same time?? Am I missing something or would it be a good idea to run another positive wire to the fuse block? Whatcha think out there?
mark85GTv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark85GTv6Send a Private Message to mark85GTv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great post!!!

thankx
LT-5Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT-5FieroSend a Private Message to LT-5FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bushroot:

Sport Compact Car did an article on this a while back. They were actually showing horsepower gains by using better grounding to the engine block.

They were grounding the ignition coils on their K20 engine, which has a coil-on-plug DIS, something I never thought of on my Mazda6 when I added the MSD Stacker 8 box. Grounding something that is the basis of making power, can make you more power, you see they only got 1 to 2 WHP more, which could very well be dismissed as a difference in dyno conditions (Hot Rod or CHP did an article on dyno tricks that netted anywhere from 1 to 2 WHP to 13 WHP more). Though these types of grounds here are for fixing problems and to prevent electrolysis of the cooling system. Ever had severe and constant water pump or heater core failures on an older car? More than likely a bad ground somewhere and your coolant carried an electrical charge.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock