Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  PETROLPHOBIA (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
PETROLPHOBIA by USFiero
Started on: 03-04-2005 11:52 PM
Replies: 578 (10818 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 04-07-2024 01:36 PM
USFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by me about a year ago:
$2.44 to $2.57 average locally.

Holy Shnikes, I paid 3.23 last night at a station near my house because I didn't want to cruise around and look for a bigger discount. My reference station has been holding at $3.19/gal for a couple weeks now. My membership at BJ's usually nets a discount, but dannnnnnngit!!

... and this thread is about three years old

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 04-07-2008).]

IP: Logged
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prices have gone up abruptly again. Another .05~.07 since my last post. Could have something to do with the weak US dollar and the record prices of oil. Thankfully, it has been announced that there may be a massive oil deposit right here in the US.

Hot Diggity!
never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure there might be a huge deposit here somewhere.
The Government doesn't REALLY care. To many politicians have their hands covered with oil money.
And don't forget we might do extinction to the tit mouse, or polar bear, or some strange creature.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$3.51 here in Farmington today. Best I could find was $3.39 in Lewiston
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
This may be of some help to you guys.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Join and help out by posting a low piece when you see it

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That meteor is no joke, "well astroid". 2029 its either going to come real close "closer than our satalites orbit" or its going to go through a key hole and get sucked into our gravitational pull and kill the majority of us. Nasa has some cool ideas to deflect it though ranging from solar parachuttes to ships that use their own gravity to divert the astroid, and of course ion rockets and nuks etc. Thought i would mention that. Gas is killin me as it is, i just got a good deal on a 250 ninja. Close to 80mpg and all sorts of fun. Should cut fuel costs this summer by ALOT. I just have to watch out for people who want to run me over.... not like its any different in a fiero. So at least i have some practice.

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

That meteor is no joke, "well astroid". 2029 its either going to come real close "closer than our satalites orbit" or its going to go through a key hole and get sucked into our gravitational pull and kill the majority of us. Nasa has some cool ideas to deflect it though ranging from solar parachuttes to ships that use their own gravity to divert the astroid, and of course ion rockets and nuks etc. Thought i would mention that. Gas is killin me as it is, i just got a good deal on a 250 ninja. Close to 80mpg and all sorts of fun. Should cut fuel costs this summer by ALOT. I just have to watch out for people who want to run me over.... not like its any different in a fiero. So at least i have some practice.

Been watching Armageddon a few to many times have we?

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL science channel!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Prices have gone up abruptly again. Another .05~.07 since my last post. Could have something to do with the weak US dollar and the record prices of oil. Thankfully, it has been announced that there may be a massive oil deposit right here in the US.

Hot Diggity!

Makes no difference how big a reserve is as far as the price/barrel goes--or the price/gal of gas--unless it is an astronomically huge reserve---and even then, it better be a proven reserve that can be quickly, cheaply, and easily extracted. The price is set by demand---and only marginally augmented by supply, which means slightly shorter or slightly longer supplies will have only a nominal affect on the price of a barrel of oil. The lag time between discovery, development, and true production in any given field is years--not weeks or months.
About all the Dakotas field can do short term is provide jobs. Long term it may (or may not-depending on our increase or decrease in demand) stave off total dependance on imported petroleum.

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeremiah about a year ago:

i just paid 3.16 a gal.

If you are a member of BJ's here in Hampton, gas is $3.34 a gallon. Everywhere else regular gas seems to be $3.41 to $3.55 a gallon. And don't start pricing Premium!

ZOMG!

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 05-09-2008).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BJ's (and pretty much everywhere else) went up .07 a gallon today. Ouch!!!
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paying 3.58 -3.68 a gallon depending on where you stop. The summer beach traffic doesn't help these places with the prices either.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think prices here have now exceeded post-Katrina prices now. $3.77 at my station of reference, $3.59 if you shop around is pretty good. Listening to the radio, prices nationally went up a penny per gallon last night. Doesn't seem like much, but if it did that every week let alone every day or every other day you can imagine where'd we wind up in a hurry.
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prices have doubled since this thread was started. One of the first posts quoted regular @ $1.99, now the corner gas station is selling it for $3.95 a gallon.

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so, now y'all get to feel what it was like when they started taxing the piss out of cigarettes.
going from $1 item to a $5 item

if you got a over 1 gallon a day habit - you better think about cutting back - or quitting
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-03-2008).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Cigarettes are not critical to tasks such as getting to your job and the grocery store.

says a non-smoker
sorry - like smoking - where you live is a lifestyle choice
but - yes - I know what you are saying
just spouting off over old crap......

I found my alternatives to expensive smokes - now we must all find alternatives to expensive gas

break that gallon/day habit! people have been smoking for alot longer than they have been driving - both are optional, and both have alternatives.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not a valid comparison. Cigarettes are not critical to tasks such as getting to your job and the grocery store.

True, and I quit when I realized how expensive (both immediately and long-term)/inconvenient/foolish/unnecessary they were. As far as gas? I've cut out unnecessary and foolish trips... I got no money to spend at the store now, and pay bills on line, cut out a lot of extras (weren't many to begin with) and drive more conservatively or at less-congested times. I shop around for gas. If I desperately wanted to smoke, I'd probably grow my own (you can do that, right?) I'll bet all those guys with the biodiesel distilleries in their shed are feeling pretty smug now.

Originally posted by Wichita March of 2005:
Speculators are making the prices go up, but hey! I don't care. I will really only start being concerned when it gets up to $4.00 a gallon.

Concerned yet?

Originally posted by lurker about the same time as Wichita:
prices up this summer? heck. two weeks ago i was paying $1.66, this week i'm paying $1.99. it's not even spring yet. what's it going to be by july, $2.99?

Originally posted by jetman:
Prices have doubled since this thread was started.

And yet our incomes and saving habits have not changed

One question I have is this: How many here feel that fuel costs are an annoyance and how many has it become a critical financial crisis issue. I'm in the latter category. If my employer won't let me start spending nights at work I'm going to sleep in the field across the street.
JazzMan

I would car pool if I believed it would work for me. 17 miles to work. The job I have right now is not conducive to working from home (telecommuting) or working out four ten hour days vs five eight hour days, but that would be a help if I could. I think we've found a partial solution to obesity in this country... leave the consumer less money to spend on fast food. I've bought some tomato plants and planted cucumbers (have you seen what they go for?) to offset food prices. Next year the garden will go into full effect. I could produce $100's of fresh, healthy veggies and get exercise and vitamin D (sunlight exposure - which is now thought to reduce the risk of certain cancers) right in my own yard. Heck, there's an Asian family down the way from me that has ducks and chickens. If I could get other expenses under control, I may be okay for a while. But average folks may not be. And remember, as the US economy goes, there are many third world countries where fluctuations in our lifestyle result in life and death changes in access to basic commodities there. Money for basic medicines, shelter and food.

Originally posted by Me on Page One:

The problem is that the cost of gas trickles down into all consumable goods. Kiss the increase in the minimum wage goodbye. And those who refinanced their homes with an adjustable rate are really going to feel the pinch. A 300 pound gorilla pinch. All we need is a couple refineries in poorly defended countries to be hit 9-11 style and gas will become unavailable and/or $20 a gallon.

Oh, and I suppose Bush will get blamed for this too.

The chickens are coming home to roost, and I'm thinkin Bar-b-Q. I didn't even consider a natural disaster... well, the asteroid thing didn't/hasn't happened, although there's lots of talk. Of course, we've had Hurricanes, Monsoons, Cyclones and earthquakes, but it's not like we can invade Mother Nature's stronghold and declare 'Mission Accomplished.'

Do I think our president has anything to do with the situation? I didn't see how he had any control at the time I started this thread, but a weakening US Dollar and world wide oil price increases (oil topped $123 a barrel this week after breaking the $100 mark earlier this year) and an administration with no contingency plan other than a 'stimulus check' makes the Republican Party look like a bunch of clueless dolts.
Don't think that I have it in for any political party, cause I don't see any clear leadership cues from anyone in Washington (or the campaign trail) right now. Just a Congress that can't move forward, a republican candidate that is rudderless and looking for a fight, and two ego-driven democratic candidates that don't know what's good for their party/country.

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 05-17-2008).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Prices at my station of reference have hit $2.77
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:
Prices at my station of reference have hit $2.77

$2.77?? thats it?? WTF?!? we are about to pop $4 here
I guess thats the joys of just one single refinery for this whole area....?

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 05-22-2008).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

$2.77?? thats it?? WTF?!? we are about to pop $4 here....?

Sorry, that was a typo.... $3.77 The pain of putting prices up put me in denial. Have a great Holiday Weekend!!!
I figured fewer Americans would be vacationing abroad because of the Euro exchange rate, but it seems domestic vacations will be higher too.
I suppose even just staying home and getting drunk will be more expensive because of the increased cost of grains!

The winners in all this I believe will be the Central American Countries that cater to American Touristas. Attractive exchange rate, shorter flights, pretty scenery and in some places legal prostitution are going to draw US dollars like never before. Then the organized crime will move in behind it to supplant the gangs and crooked local officials.
PFF
System Bot
cone shark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cone sharkSend a Private Message to cone sharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're over four in Watertown. $4.07 at the cheap station.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's diesel that's killing us. It's about to go over the $5 mark and our trucks drink about 65 gallons a day. More on longer hauls. The company may end up shutting the doors even before I leave.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

It's diesel that's killing us. It's about to go over the $5 mark and our trucks drink about 65 gallons a day. More on longer hauls. The company may end up shutting the doors even before I leave.

I just heard on the radio this morning that truckers in the UK are protesting because deisel prices have hit the equivelant of $10 a gallon.

Originally posted by USFiero: Have a great Holiday Weekend!!!.

Oh, and gas prices are at 3.79 to 3.87 locally. Here's a funny tidbit: Farmers in Afganistan are switching from growing poppies for the drug trade to wheat because it has become more lucrative. So.... oil prices go up = less Heroin?

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 05-27-2008).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Granted, our fuel costs here are less than they are in other places around the globe. But the thing that's hit the US so hard is that the prices have just about doubled in just a year's time. We have some contracts that we're locked into and we have to honor the prices we gave them almost a year ago. It makes a really big difference when a load of onroad diesel that cost you $20,000 last year now costs you $40,000. There's a lot of companies that won't survive this much longer.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Average prices have now hit $3.91 here. $4 is just around the corner
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2008 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Granted, our fuel costs here are less than they are in other places around the globe. But the thing that's hit the US so hard is that the prices have just about doubled in just a year's time. We have some contracts that we're locked into and we have to honor the prices we gave them almost a year ago. It makes a really big difference when a load of onroad diesel that cost you $20,000 last year now costs you $40,000. There's a lot of companies that won't survive this much longer.

BTW seen good ole ULSD at 4.81 a gallon. Not bad for a by product.

How many times do people have to compare the USA to the rest of the world. Europe and Canadian fuel prices are a result of taxes imposed by their goverments. For this they get national health care, better mass transit, and less taxes elsewhere. Oil is sold to everyone for about the same price hence global market.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 05-29-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few people use mass transit now, and won't no matter how hi gas gets, or how cheap or common MT becomes. We are in love with our automobiles. High Occupant Vehicle (HOV) lanes in Houston are way way under utilized. We are in love with OUR automobiles.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeremiah about a year ago:

i just paid 3.16 a gal.

Originally posted by me two years ago:

a couple days ago, it was hard to find gas for less than $2.90 per gal. Got it for $2.83/gallon today.

And, grab your hankies cause this from June 2005:Anyway, got gas today $1.86/gal. The other cool thing is I lost my job in january that had me driving 70 miles round trip each day so I'm kinda savin money all around! Too bad I ain't makin any...

I got another job, finished school and quit that job for the one I have now since then, though I make less money than before. The news this morning said we had hit an average price of $4 a gallon nationwide, though I saw gas for $3.77 on the way to work. Probably a litle cheaper at BJ's (I'm a member)

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My economic tip for the day:

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't posted in a while since it has been uneccesary... the subject has been on the front pages all over. Before we get happy about the 'sudden' decline in prices due to oil stabilizing inprice (it really hasn't) I thought I'd put this link to the latest commodities prices for reference. The gas stations I refer to in my local price post is high: $3.89 - low $3.84. That's down from the high being $3.99 (neither were apparently willing to go above $4). I'm glad I put in a garden this year, and less driving = less money going into the local economy. I'm still researching ways to lower my bills, I'm considering just having DSL at the house and not phone service since we all have cell phones and the only people who call the house are charity solicitors and bill collectors.
PFF
System Bot
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero 7/13 of last year:
in the last month and a half, gas has been as high as $3.01/gal for regular and low as $2.67 in that time period. Gas today was $2.87/gal.

so before we start planning our V8 swaps because of the reduction of gas prices, let's remember where we are still. Has anyone been able to alter their budgets and habits to accomodate this shift in the economy?

Prices near me vary from $3.71- $3.80 a gallon right now for regular.

<EDIT to fix URL>

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 07-29-2008).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dropped another penny today. It would be cool if that continued, a penny a day... or even a nickel a week... heck, a dime a month would get our economy turned around!!
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember we paid .89 a gallon back in 2000. Its been 8 years, Gas is nearly 4 times what it was in 8 years! Don't settle for $3.50 a gallon unless they make min wage 4 times higher and hold prices where they are.

Please, don't anyone bring up euorpe or canada. They tax the difference, its where thier "free" health care and other socialist programs get funding. Canada and Europe buy oil for the same price we do, jack up the price with taxes, and then dare to complain that we have it cheap. If we had free health care I would agree, but we don't.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Remember we paid .89 a gallon back in 2000. .

We did? What was it in 1985?

1952?

1966?

I insist we return to those price levels.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:
Please, don't anyone bring up euorpe or canada. They tax the difference, its where thier "free" health care and other socialist programs get funding. Canada and Europe buy oil for the same price we do, jack up the price with taxes, and then dare to complain that we have it cheap. If we had free health care I would agree, but we don't.

Well I beg to differ on that at least for this country. We have a Medicare levee in our income taxes that pay for it.

This comparison shows what has been happening around the world. Canada is one of the few countries who have kept their fuel prices in check. England on the other hand is the one with the problems.

In the big scheme of things in the western world America has had it good for a long time and still has the cheapest fuel in the west. I know a sudden rise hits hard, we are having it happening here too, but unfortunately we all have to suck it up.

I have a horrible feeling the "GREEN" movement has a lot more to do with this than they like to admit. Why else would all the radical rises be in the "GREEN" west? It is surely one of the many price influences.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the figures I am wondering why USA, England and Australia have jumped so much compared to Canada now. Are you Canadians hiding some oil fields we don't know about?
AntiKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AntiKevClick Here to visit AntiKev's HomePageSend a Private Message to AntiKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:
Looking at the figures I am wondering why USA, England and Australia have jumped so much compared to Canada now. Are you Canadians hiding some oil fields we don't know about?

Yes, but it has a lot to do with the relationship between the Canadian and US$. I've seen gas under $1.20/litre here in the past few weeks. (Scary, when I first bought gas it was $0.59/litre.) The dollars are pretty well even +/- a few cents. Whereas before, the Canadian dollar was between 70 and 80 cents US. So we're feeling it, but not as bad.

Also, we export most of our oil to the US. And we have tons of oil to export, at these prices it's economical to get at too. Now that the capital expenditure is paid, it will continue to be economical to get at no matter the price/bbl.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't remember Australia, being in Canada or Europe. lol Sucking it up might have been possible, if Congress hadn't repeatedly voted down min. wage increases, national debt had not sky rocketed, and jobs were not allowed to leave the country by the thousands. With everything else that is going on in this country, we simply can not afford gas over 2 dollars a gallon.

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Well I beg to differ on that at least for this country. We have a Medicare levee in our income taxes that pay for it.

This comparison shows what has been happening around the world. Canada is one of the few countries who have kept their fuel prices in check. England on the other hand is the one with the problems.

In the big scheme of things in the western world America has had it good for a long time and still has the cheapest fuel in the west. I know a sudden rise hits hard, we are having it happening here too, but unfortunately we all have to suck it up.

I have a horrible feeling the "GREEN" movement has a lot more to do with this than they like to admit. Why else would all the radical rises be in the "GREEN" west? It is surely one of the many price influences.

88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

We did? What was it in 1985?

1952?

1966?

I insist we return to those price levels.

I remember paying .99/gal. when I first got my license in 1988. Super was $1.09 and I thought THAT was outragious!

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6
2001 Grand Prix GTP SC3.8L V6

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock