Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  PETROLPHOBIA (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
PETROLPHOBIA by USFiero
Started on: 03-04-2005 11:52 PM
Replies: 617 (11105 views)
Last post by: randye on 04-24-2024 01:40 AM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Oh, I don't like higher gas prices anymore than anyone else, and if I had a 60 mile round trip commute to work every day, I'd like it even less. The truth is, we've been paying way less than most of the rest of the world for a long time. I believe our Canadian and Australian members have been paying the equivilent of $2/gal or more for a long time. So far, gas here hasn't breached the $2/gal mark yet, but it only has to increase .001 cents to do so-$1.999 yesterday is what I paid for convience store gas.

$2 a Gallon was a long time ago. Here it varies from $4.60 AU a gallon to $6.20 AU a gallon up the coast. Try running a thirsty 4x4, a 5.7 litre SS and soon a 3800sc Fiero on those prices. Not that I complain mind you. I want the power and versatility, I have to pay.

Speaking of fuel I still have that indicator light thingy you wanted.

IP: Logged
USFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, in spite of oil closing up yesterday, I got regular at Wawa for 1.97/gal
stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct me if im wrong, but weren't they speculating that there could be among the biggest oil reserves of all times somewhere around the north east corner of Canada?

http://www.petro-canada.ca/annualreport2004/eng/HTML/128.htm

??

SR

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-03-2008).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having the weirdest problem with the Forum (but no other links in fiero.nl) with the web pages not looking right. I'm using firefox browser. Anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, got gas today $1.86/gal. The other cool thing is I lost my job in january that had me driving 70 miles round trip each day so I'm kinda savin money all around! Too bad I ain't makin any...

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gas prices are down. why? not that i'm complaining..

edit: $1.86/gal. have crude prices dropped?

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 06-02-2005).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2005 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

gas prices are down. why? not that i'm complaining..

I duno about your area but gas is 2.17 a gallon around here. Thats still up 100% from pre war prices.

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$1.90 a gallon here...but I use 93 octane....

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, i resolved the firefox problem by emptying the cache....

Prices went up a couple cents, then back down to 1.86 again - then BAM right back to 1.99 overnite. It's summertime.

Liquid-Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Liquid-RealitySend a Private Message to Liquid-RealityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the best in may mustang and it has been running $26 a tank every two weeks. Better then driving a crappy car that gets good milage. I do not live pay day to pay day like most Americans though..

------------------

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny how oil prices have been at the top of every business news report. Gas fell to 1.99 for a couple days here, then shot right up to 2.13 for the last week. Could have been OPEC, could be hurricanes...
PFF
System Bot
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

USFiero

4873 posts
Member since Mar 2002
2.19 per today.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$2.99 on I-5 and $2.77 (premium) in Morgan Hills Ca. I'm glad I have a 4.6
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch. Hit $2.31/gal today. I forsee $3/gallon. Despite the economy being 'strong' I think the economy is at something of a tipping point with the Fed bent on continuing to raise rates and Bush changing credit card laws. With all the debt in this country folks are going to have a tough time. Relative to what we've known in the past. It's not like we live in Afganistan...
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:
Well, in spite of oil closing up yesterday, I got regular at Wawa for 1.97/gal

If I coulda only seen this far into the future... $3.19 today, and I'm heading out of town tomorrow...
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I'd bump this for fun. Prices peaked at 3.45 here a while back, but have fallen back to about 2.19 at discount gas stations this week. I am almost grateful.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thought I'd bump this for fun. Prices peaked at 3.45 here a while back, but have fallen back to about 2.19 at discount gas stations this week. I am almost grateful.

Sorry, Liberals. It looks like your beloved end of the world will have to wait.

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this should revive this thread. Gas has been 2.17 to 2.24
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You were paying $1.08 before the war?

Which war?

John Stricker

Originally posted by 84Bill:

I duno about your area but gas is 2.17 a gallon around here. Thats still up 100% from pre war prices.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started my V8 for the first time this week and the smile it put on my face will be worth it. This will be my last post in any thread bitching about the cost of fuel.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

You were paying $1.08 before the war?

Which war?

maybe we need to adjust for inflation after WWII
$260 a barrel oil is going to suck. What'll that mean, $20 a gallon for gas?

PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been considering turning my 88 coupe 5 speed into a driver. Use it when the gas prices spike, and park the V6s. 35+mpg on the highway.

Anyone know what the mileage is with an Indy 4 speed? One has come up for sale locally for $800.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-03-2008).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$2.15 at the local discount gas station. I have checked, and I get marginally better gas mileage with premium, doubt it's worth the .20 increase per gallon to gain 10% better milage. The only upshot is 20 more miles to tankfull.
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Why is the government (Own3d by the oil companies) pushing hydrogen instead of BIODEISEL as an alternative fuel?
The USA has the most productive, efficient farms in the world.
We COULD be growing our own fuel instead of fighting wars to control foreign oil!
Just my $.02.9 worth.

According to one study it's just a little cheaper to make bio-diesel from corn (here in Iowa) than to use gasoline. Another researcher pointed out that they had purposely left out the cost of the farm machinery. I'm not a farmer, but I know that some harvesters can cost in the range of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

When all of this is factored in, it's currently definitely more expensive to produce bio-diesel and/or ethanol from crops than the products are worth. You also have to put more energy into making the fuel than you get out of it.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted a study on making bio fuels, both diesel and ethanol, a while back. The actual costs varied widely depending on the bias and who did it. Some studies included all of the cost for all of the machinery, even though it was only partially used for making grain for fuel. Another ignored machinery costs all together. Neither approach is fair or accurate. They averaged about a dozen of them and came to the conclusion that there was a net gain in energy in most cases. I think it's getting more favorable as more ethanol plants are being built and the economies of scale are getting better, but that's just an opinion.

John Stricker

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

According to one study it's just a little cheaper to make bio-diesel from corn (here in Iowa) than to use gasoline. Another researcher pointed out that they had purposely left out the cost of the farm machinery. I'm not a farmer, but I know that some harvesters can cost in the range of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

When all of this is factored in, it's currently definitely more expensive to produce bio-diesel and/or ethanol from crops than the products are worth. You also have to put more energy into making the fuel than you get out of it.

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 02-10-2006).]

DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2006 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in Newton IA, some folkes got together and sold shares to start a Bio-Diesel plant. The Plant will use soy beans and animal fat as the feed stock. This plant will be on line this time next year. They are already planning for a huge expansion, before the plant comes online. All projected production is all ready spoken for. It seams that several west coast sea ports have pretty much mandated that 'all ships shall run Bio-Diesel while in port'. I guess it makes sence, to someone, to ship this stuff by rail tanker half way across the US to keep west coasters happy.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, a co-opped, not-for-profit bio diesel plant? That could be awesome...
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a mild winter... but in the last week prices went from 2.09 to 2.19 ... uh oh.
...Oh, and I miised saying - Happy Birthday to this thread!

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 03-06-2006).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far I don't believe anyone has mentioned:

1) car pooling

2) buying a more efficient car

3) moving closer to work

4) getting a job closer to home

5) taking public transportation to work

6) riding a motorcycle to work

The market is telling you to do something. Low prices don't encourage conservation which this country badly needs.

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001

wow, a co-opped, not-for-profit bio diesel plant? That could be awesome...

When I lived in Minnesota my only choice for electricity was from a co-oped, not-for-profit Rural Electric Cooperative. Somehow that didn't comfort me much when it cost 2 cents per KHW more than from the for profit company.

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:

So far I don't believe anyone has mentioned:

1) car pooling

2) buying a more efficient car

3) moving closer to work

4) getting a job closer to home

5) taking public transportation to work

6) riding a motorcycle to work

The market is telling you to do something. Low prices don't encourage conservation which this country badly needs.

In the last year I have moved closer to work with the price of fuel being oone of the main reasons, not only will I save on fuel, when it gets nicer out I can ride my Bicycle to work.
Brad

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I've been considering turning my 88 coupe 5 speed into a driver. Use it when the gas prices spike, and park the V6s. 35+mpg on the highway.

Anyone know what the mileage is with an Indy 4 speed? One has come up for sale locally for $800.

When my '84 was new it got about 27 mmpg on the highway with the 4.10 Muncie 4 speed. That's about what I get with my '88 GT with 2.8L and 5 spped.

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YOU GUYS ARE CHATCHING UP TO OUR GASS PRICES HERE IN AUSTRALIA.
oops sorry about the caps
We are paying $5 a gallon here and thats on the cheaper days of the prices wars the service stations have on wednesdays

------------------
Allen
Australia
86 gold SE
85 red SE

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

proff

7393 posts
Member since Oct 2004
this is what we do already
but we love our cars like you in the USA also do

1) car pooling. a pool will not fit in the fiero.....hahaha

2) buying a more efficient car. i did, its a fiero

3) moving closer to work , i didn't. i move further away from the fools in western sydney

4) getting a job closer to home. can get fruit picking , NOT

5) taking public transportation to work. there is None

6) riding a motorcycle to work. No if you value your life

------------------
Allen
Australia
86 gold SE
85 red SE

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When my '84 was new it got about 27 mmpg on the highway with the 4.10 Muncie 4 speed. That's about what I get with my '88 GT with 2.8L and 5 spped.

You sure? I get better than that now, with 115,000 miles on mine, but I try to keep it at 65mph max.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My electricity and natural gas are both provided by a co-op. (BTW, Co-ops are NOT non-profit, they make quite a bit of profit and return it to their patron/owners years later). My electric rates have gone down from 7.14 cents per kwh to 6.26 cents per kwh from 2 years ago to current rates. That's a reduction of 12%. My natural gas, OTOH, has gone UP from 78.4 cents per therm to 120.4 cents per therm over the same time period. That's an increase of 53%.

In total dollars, I use a lot more electricity than natural gas most of the year, and we've had a mild winter, so the increase hasn't hurt as badly as it could have, but our electric rates are still more than competitive. In fact, most people don't believe we pay the rates we do.

John Stricker

When I lived in Minnesota my only choice for electricity was from a co-oped, not-for-profit Rural Electric Cooperative. Somehow that didn't comfort me much when it cost 2 cents per KHW more than from the for profit company.

YoungFieroMan754

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YoungFieroMan754Send a Private Message to YoungFieroMan754Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
paid $2.49 to fill up my 25 gallon tank....owwwwwww i can still feel it...miss my 4 banger fiero
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by YoungFieroMan754:

paid $2.49 to fill up my 25 gallon tank....owwwwwww i can still feel it...miss my 4 banger fiero

I'm moving where you live. That's about 10 cents/gallon.

And Sanderson--now I get it. You "27mmpg". That's 27 Million Miles Per Gallon? Not bad at all.

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
And Sanderson--now I get it. You "27mmpg". That's 27 Million Miles Per Gallon? Not bad at all.

or 27 millimeters? The real irony is that if you read the first price per gallon in this thread (of a year ago)..... the price is the same per gallon. What can we surmise from that?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock