Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  What Went Wrong With Your Fiero...TODAY ? (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
What Went Wrong With Your Fiero...TODAY ? by americasfuture2k
Started on: 08-24-2008 03:02 AM
Replies: 443
Last post by: exoticse on 03-21-2013 03:17 PM
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
On my way home from work a little while ago it starting shutting off while driving.
Did it 3-4 times,tach dropping out etc.. and then just died-on some railroad tracks..

Luckily it was behind my house,and I just had to walk through about 5 acres of field to get home.

Sent the wife to get a pickup coil from autozone,I had no multimeter or anything with me but there was no spark for sure and I had fuel.

Also ordered an MSD cap/rotor and blaster coil.

Been meaning to tuneup the ignition since I got it,just haven't.
Already have the plugs in the backseat,been meaning to order a spool of Taylor ignition wire to make a few sets of wires.
Guess I'll go ahead and do that now.
IP: Logged
larini74

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
Driving on I-4 last night, the porceline blew off one of the spark plugs.....blew the electrode out and the compression was coming straight out of the hole left where the electrode used to be.....makes a hellacious noise.....and found out on saturday, that the master and slave clutch cylinders are bad.....

[This message has been edited by larini74 (edited 09-21-2009).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2009 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Noticed my car got hot the other day after I got back home from replacing the O2 sensor at RandomTask's place. The temp gauge even went *up* and tripped the temp light, after the car was shut off and I switched the key on...

Noticed a tiny drip after getting lunch today, as it seemd hotter than normal for quick trip to lunch. After work, drove around a bit to heat it up pretty good, got back home, and it looks like the overflow tank has a small leak.
sabooo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
Car was being test driven by the mechanic to verify the tuning...tak tak tak TAK TAK TAK BANG BANG BANG... An oil pan full of metal later, #4 bearing on the 3800 was in pieces.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
broke weld on my new dipstick. fck!. need to get it welded again
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Ran out of gas... stupid gauge...
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

broke weld on my new dipstick. fck!. need to get it welded again

Thats not thinkin with your dipstick jimmy
Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
Tried to fix my open CV boot, re packed the joint got the boot together, and my clamp wouldn't clear the trans. Decided to wait for it to go bad and replace whole axle. Or try again tomorrow, which ever comes first.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Thats not thinkin with your dipstick jimmy

ha!
Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sabooo:

Car was being test driven by the mechanic to verify the tuning...tak tak tak TAK TAK TAK BANG BANG BANG... An oil pan full of metal later, #4 bearing on the 3800 was in pieces.

I cry for you sir
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Direct Link to This Post
had a manifold exaust leak on my 88gt. found out someone had used a machine bolt inplace of a manifold bolt on bottom left side of motor. it was too long. it caused the exhaust manifold gasket to blow out causing a bad and loud leak. it is repaired!!! never have i heard my ocelot exhaust sound so great. i bought the car in january of this year from a guy. it was loud when i bought it. i have three fiero gt's. 85/87/88. love my cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
not sure what broke today. ill find out next time i jack the car up
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I regularly inspect all of my Fieros. Recently I have noticed some front end vibration. Today my turbo 3.4L was on the lift and I decided to check the front wheels for play. Sure enough there was more side to side play than there should have been. Looks like its time for new tie rod and tie rod ends I just hope that the rack is not the cause.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
THE OTHER DAY....

went to tighten the subframe bolts when the solid alumin mounts were replaced, found the drivers side one was not properly alighned. tightened and tq'd it down. that could have been some baaad juju right there!

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Well not today, but recently, my 86 SE failed the NOx part of the emission testing. I tested and/or replaced all components of the EGR system, and it failed again. Some Fiero expert friends told me to retard the timing, so I set it at about 6 degrees, and it passed with flying colors. That evening, I set it back to 10 degrees. Next year, I'll retard it back to 6 before taking it in for testing. And next year will be that last year for that car, because it will be 25 years old the following year.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
a coolant line or something on the pass side on the engine side of the coolant pipe broke. spewed coolant everywhere. ill see what the damage is later.
zigaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
Just learned my gas guage does not properly represent the amount of gas is in the tank. Thankfully it decided not to start at the museum I work at and we had a few gas tanks for our equipment I could use to get to the WAWA down the road. "E" is now two white marks from the left.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
mine is just one. well when it starts chugging and stalling on hills....
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
My gauge is the opposite... When mine shows "E" I still have 4 gallons to go.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I was driving home and I thought the 2.8 had died, only to find that the accelerator cable came off the throttle body. I had a one speed car, however fast 950 RPM gets you in first gear. I drove it two blocks to get off the main road, popped the lid and was able to get the cable back on the throttle body. It was sure hot down there. I got home just fine.
Jim

------------------
Jim

86 SE 355 Body Kit w/3.1 Auto (Sold)
87 T-Top Coupe 2.8/5 Speed new project

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
On Jezebel the E-Brake cable froze up, I didn't notice until she was pretty hot. I don't think there was any major damage, the rotor is still smooth.

We just rebuilt the calipers and all, we didn't think the cable would stick .

Brad
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
the new walbro 255 fuel pump i put in last year is showing signs of it going out. it stalled at autozone, had to walk a half mile BAREFOOT to buy a gas can and gas cause i thought my fuel gauge was falling into the "IN" crowd of fiero fuel level senders. fuel pressure would only go to 20psi. im getting an AC Delco pump this time. from a 85-92 F-body. i think thats the right one....
ViperBlue85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2009 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ViperBlue85GTSend a Private Message to ViperBlue85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zigaroo:

"E" is now two white marks from the left.

Lucky you...E is either 1/4 of a tank or 1/2 a tank or anywhere in between for me. lol
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Nothing. took it for a nice drive tonight. and 3rd gear dident grind once going into it. i think she likes the cold weather.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2009 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful weather today, so I jumped in the Fiero to drive it to work. Turned the key, and the engine turned over once, then dead. Assumed some moron must have left a light on or something, so jumped in the truck and took off to work. When I got home I tried to jump start it....still acts like a dead battery with the jumper cables hooked up. Grrrrrrrr. Gotta be a bad connection somewhere. It did sit through a torrential downpour since last time I drove it (2 days earlier). Guess I will get up early tomorrow so I can mess with it in the daylight.

Not sure I can survive this week at work without the Fiero. Just driving it to work puts me in a better mood to deal with the BS that is waiting for me when I arrive.
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
It was a dark and rainy night.....and you left your Fiero out in a that torrential down pour, all alone !? No wonder she's not pleased with you. What do you have planned to make it up to her?

------------------
1988 GT

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't exactly planned....was intending to driver her that afternoon until I looked out and saw the rain. I'm just glad I put the sunroof in. Not sure what the deal was....I was still unable to jump start her in the daylight....but rolled it down the hill and popped the clutch. Started right up and haven't had another issue. Wondering if I have a bad set of jumper cables. Regardless, to make it up to her, I installed a new radiator fan. She is much happier now.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

Went to fill the windshield washer fluid over the weekend when I found 3 cracks in the plastic reservoir and a large pool of blue fluid on the garage floor. Just installed the new reservoir from The Fiero Store. Next thing... replace the broken ash tray lids & center console vents.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Figured I would jump in here and whine a bit more. We seem to have problems with this car a few days before any long trip. 4 days before RFTH14, the gas tank sprung a leak....now 4 days before a trip to the Outer Banks, the slave cylinder goes out. Fiero Store to the rescue here....called them first thing when they opened this morning and they had a new one in the mail same day (on Columbus Day even)....will be here Wednesday, will be put in Wednesday night, then we leave Thursday morning for the Outer Banks. I can't really complain...at least it isn't breaking ON the long trips. The real whining comes from the fact that I work till 10pm...so I will be installing it in the dark Wednesday night.

Edit to add....I confirmed the bad jumper cables in the previous post. Nice to know it is the tools that hate me, not the car.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 10-13-2009).]

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the battery out and put it on the trickle charger, as it's been months since I've driven it. Put it back in, started it up, and took a nice, long drive. Got it back to the storage unit, and as I'm backing my other car out, I notice a small puddle under the front of the Fiero. Yep...leaky radiator. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, and I didn't have my jack or tools with me, so I pulled it back into the storage unit, put some cardboard underneath the radiator, and after Christmas, I'll start pricing new radiators. It COULD be a leak in the core...but with the way my luck runs, it's the plastic tank.
ProjectPb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ProjectPbSend a Private Message to ProjectPbDirect Link to This Post
My starter fell out Plane and simple. . on the way to Wendy's i notice a odd noise did not think much of it. In the drive thu i noticed a rattle that was not their before now what ?
I get home park car. After i eat i see if car will start so i can here the noise. Things got fun here when i turned the key sounded like a welder going off. It did that 2 times then quit the starter did not do a thing. Good thing i have a manual i bump start it to work on it under cover yeah its raining woohoo . i get under car and i am like what the hell is that on my cradle and i realize it is my starter. OMG how the hell did the starter fall out bolts come loose. NO the thin mount with short bolt broke off the starter from the looks it is not a new break. the long bolt broke off flush with the shim.sticking down about 1/8 inch. Lucky i say was able to grab it with a Craftsman Robo Grips ( a useless tool till now ) and was able to get out the stud it left .
i knew the starter was going bad i just did not know it was that bad. i had use one in trunk all this time was told it is a pita to change so i put it off. I think the reason it broke is the lil bracket to hold the back of the starter was not on it . o yeah it is an 85 2m4 man. the used starter had the lil bracket that was missing. I will post pic of starter tomorrow sometime

and when i wa under the car i notice a lil wet spot on gas tank. yepp it was gas not sure what to patch it with any ideas

Thanks
Jeff

------------------
85 Fiero 2m4
88 Fiero Formula CJB T-Top Project Conversion To GT

www.projectpb.com for all for paintball needs check this out

PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

On my way home from work a little while ago it starting shutting off while driving.
Did it 3-4 times,tach dropping out etc.. and then just died-on some railroad tracks..

Luckily it was behind my house,and I just had to walk through about 5 acres of field to get home.

Sent the wife to get a pickup coil from autozone,I had no multimeter or anything with me but there was no spark for sure and I had fuel.

Also ordered an MSD cap/rotor and blaster coil.

Been meaning to tuneup the ignition since I got it,just haven't.
Already have the plugs in the backseat,been meaning to order a spool of Taylor ignition wire to make a few sets of wires.
Guess I'll go ahead and do that now.

^^Me too!
2 days preceding final death day, engine would start but stumble and die for no reason. 1 day prior to death day, tachometer went wild jumping all over the place. Let it idle a few minutes and it would drive just fine warm. Next day cranking from my garage absolutely no spark. Thankful I made it home to discover.

In this situation not sure if the coil or ignition module is the culprit, or both. Might as well replace both?
ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
SES light came on today. Code 32 (EGR). Car is running and idling normal. Think it's the gasket for the EGR tube leading to the valve, pulled a tiny piece of rust out of where the gasket should be, and can feel the air escaping.

[This message has been edited by ShockWave (edited 10-18-2009).]

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Grumble, gripe, whine, moan, complain.

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm....is this thing the only Fiero breaking lately? Another road trip planned, so another failure. This time the night before. Seems it is the alternator this time. Was planning a trip to Georgia tomorrow morning and was going to hit the Tail of the Dragon on the way there. Now that I will be driving the truck, no point in hitting the Dragon.

I am really not looking forward to doing an alternator...but once again, I am just glad it didn't wait 20 more miles before going out on me.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I found out my IACV was DOA. It was relatively new, too (under a year old). I swapped in a spare, and it was good 2 go.

These aftermarket replacement parts are getting so bad, some are actually less reliable than used OEM parts from cars in the salvage yard.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Clutch master went bad... prolly bad for a while but I just noticed.

New one gets installed tomorrow morning!
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
F'ing heater core let go... green piss all over passenger side floor. Nasty sticky crap...
PhantomMs1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhantomMs1Click Here to visit PhantomMs1's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhantomMs1Direct Link to This Post
EGR tube cracked....half hour and a beer later hole is plugged for a temporary fix untill a new EGR tube can be found.
Bobby Carter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby CarterClick Here to visit Bobby Carter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bobby CarterDirect Link to This Post
trunk release stopped working....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock