Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Install a V8 with me! Warning! Many pics! (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Install a V8 with me! Warning! Many pics! by chester
Started on: 08-27-2002 08:38 PM
Replies: 540
Last post by: chester on 06-08-2004 08:28 PM
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Rob, just noticed you have quite a bit of that red wire loom. Did you catch Ski's thread in Tech and the Fieros on Fire thread? Check if that stuff is heat resistant, wouldnt wanna see that pretty engine burn up!

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

[This message has been edited by GTFiero1 (edited 04-26-2003).]

IP: Logged
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I was just about to ask that....
Elvira

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2003 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is supposed to be heat resistant (HOPEFULLY!). It is going to be SO nice to finally get the motor in there. That means a step closer to getting my blue GTs transplant done!

------------------
Elvira
President, New England Fiero Association (NEFA)
www.dirtyratracing.org
Blue 87GT 5sp (TruBlu)
Black 86GT 5sp (The Dirty Rat)
84 Indy-19k&300HP SD4!
Maroon 88 T-top Formula (1988-2003 RIP)

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2003 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
You could just take a short section of it and put it on one of your other fieros for a while. That will tell you how well its going to hold up.

btw, looks nice.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya's!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • chevy S10 Parts Fetcher-getting a new engine to haul my fieros(and others)
  • 87SE V6 auto-L4 to V6 done, Daily Driver
  • My Shower Cam
Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2003 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post
Rob had the red on his V6 that is now going in my car and I had the yellow on my old motor and all was fine. We pretty much know where you can and can't put this stuff
FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2003 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post
You guys are making me want one.....
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2003 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Don't wory Rob, at the rate your going, the wire loom will dry rot off before you fire that beast up!

j/k buddy!

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2003 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Don't wory Rob, at the rate your going, the wire loom will dry rot off before you fire that beast up!

j/k buddy!

Yeah well its all show anyway right? NOT!

Rob D

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 04-27-2003).]

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
WooHoo! Well, after a bunch of little hurdles (nothing a ball peen hammer wouldn't take care of ) the motor is FINALY in the car! YES!!! I'll tell ya want though, it IS a fairly tight fit. Seems tighter when you go to install one yourself then when you look at someone elses. Anyone else notice that? As always here are the visual aids!

Wheeling her under the car.

A little lift

Finally in!

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
I used SS braided hose for the rear coolant tube. Found some cool 16AN fittings to go on the end f the coolant tube, and braided to rest of the way.

Rob D.

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Oooooooh, she's purdy and all shiny

So Rob, when are you going to be at the point where you get to actually push in the clutch pedal and turn the key?

Steve

------------------

Over 300 pics of our 18 Fieros:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

sailordude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sailordudeClick Here to visit sailordude's HomePageSend a Private Message to sailordudeDirect Link to This Post
Chester,

Are you selling your MSD ignition system? Let me know, I might be interested.

Darren

MsBeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MsBethClick Here to visit MsBeth's HomePageSend a Private Message to MsBethDirect Link to This Post
WTG Rob!!!

Congrats...can I get a private showing when I come up to see you guys???

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sailordude:

Chester,

Are you selling your MSD ignition system? Let me know, I might be interested.

Darren

Sorry, Elvira has that going in her GT.

Rob D.

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MsBeth:

WTG Rob!!!

Private showing?
You are talking about his Fiero right?

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
chester

WTG Rob!!!

You can have a private showing anytime!

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a bottle fed 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated! www.dirtyratracing.org

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
sweet ass engine but yo need to ditch that air cleaner...i dont get why you V-8 guys dont use the regular round style air cleaner with the one that dips in to go around the carb (throttle body in your case) so you can use like a 3-4 inch element but it only sticks up like 1.5-2 inches

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Those air cleaners have a nice low profile but be carefull of any backfiring, it can set them on fire.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

sweet ass engine but yo need to ditch that air cleaner...i dont get why you V-8 guys dont use the regular round style air cleaner with the one that dips in to go around the carb (throttle body in your case) so you can use like a 3-4 inch element but it only sticks up like 1.5-2 inches

Ah, its a temp to keep $hit out of the throttle body. I haven't decided on a permanent filter yet. Just no room to work with!

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by avengador1:

Those air cleaners have a nice low profile but be carefull of any backfiring, it can set them on fire.

Yeah, and Fiero's catch on fire too.... I've actually used that style filter on some older rods with carberators (that backfired!) and NEVER had one catch fire.

Go figure.

Rob D.

vwaltdog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vwaltdogSend a Private Message to vwaltdogDirect Link to This Post

Do you mean this type of air cleaner is ok?

BTW Hi Chester! Did you get the email of my water pump photos? What do you think?

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2003 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vwaltdog:

BTW Hi Chester! Did you get the email of my water pump photos? What do you think?

Hey dude! No I didn't get them. Send them to me again. I'm working on the mounting plate for my water pump now. Should have it done and por-15'ed by tomorrow.

Rob D.

MsBeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2003 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MsBethClick Here to visit MsBeth's HomePageSend a Private Message to MsBethDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

chesterYou can have a private showing anytime!

Rob D.

Lucky me ... and I got it too

It was great to see you two and the Dirty Rat and the TruBlue.

See you again soon.

thanks for the show Rob

MsBeth

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Lucky me ... and I got it too

It was great to see you two and the Dirty Rat and the TruBlue.

See you again soon.

thanks for the show Rob

MsBeth

Anytime!

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Got some more done on the car. Installed and plumbed (for the most part) the CSI remote water pump and installed the front battery relocation box. Had to order a couple of specialty fittings to finish the plumbing of the coolant and fuel lines then on to the wiring. Hopefully will get to awaken the beast (and the neighborhood )by the end of the week. As always, pics for your viewing enjoyment!

CSI remote pump

West Coast Fieros battery box.

Rob D.

summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!!! Can't wait to see it.

jim

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Hi Rob, I'm working on that GT40 project of mine and trying to figure where I can put the remote pump. I can't put in the same place as you have it....... I'll have to have it a little farther away. Interested in which PN you bought and in the types of fittings you have where the hoses meet the pump.

Thanks

Archie

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Wow, wow!...wow!!!!

Keep up the good work. She looks awesome.

------------------

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Hi Rob, I'm working on that GT40 project of mine and trying to figure where I can put the remote pump. I can't put in the same place as you have it....... I'll have to have it a little farther away. Interested in which PN you bought and in the types of fittings you have where the hoses meet the pump.

Thanks

Archie

The block nipples are made by CSI and are 12AN. Part number 916 http://www.csiperformance.com/cooling_3.html#flanges

The pump is a CSI part number 925 remote. http://www.csiperformance.com/water_pump3.html

The pump has 3/4NPT threads so I used 3/4NPT to 12AN fittings in the pump. The one's I got are Earl's but you can get them in Russel or Aeroquip as well. Then it just depends where the pump will be. I used two 90 degree swivel hose ends to hook it all up.

Hope this helps ya! If you need, give me a call.

BTW the pump mounts to any flat area. How about in the trunk if your running out of space.

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 05-03-2003).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that's great.

The 916 & 925 are the same items I have.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Progress:

Installed the Archie 4 core radiator complete with low profile electric fan and got most of the plumbing done.

The 4 core radiator/fan setup

Old radiator removed. Nice rust.

Rust removed, nice POR-15

Picture installed from the top. Plenty of clearence now for my motorized hood vent.

From the side

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Only got one hose to the heater core left on the top.

Patched into the stock lines.

------------------

383 V8 installed awaiting final hookup and light-off!! YEEEHAWWW!!!!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated! NOT! www.dirtyratracing.org

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 05-09-2003).]

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Cool, I like those lines you used for coolant hoses. Mind if I ask where you got them? Once again, great work!

------------------

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Don't forget to keep us updated when you get it running. Are you going to be taking any of your cars to Carlisle? If you are I'll see you there.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Progress:

Installed the Archie 4 core radiator complete with low profile electric fan and got most of the plumbing done.

The 4 core radiator/fan setup

Rob, you're going to need a complete shroud around that rad fan. Otherwise you'll find that the air will get sucked in by the fan then it will go thru the rad via the un-shrouded area and go back thru the fan. That will just recirculate warm air thru the fan.

Archie

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Rob, you're going to need a complete shroud around that rad fan. Otherwise you'll find that the air will get sucked in by the fan then it will go thru the rad via the un-shrouded area and go back thru the fan. That will just recirculate warm air thru the fan.

Archie

even with a hood vent?

neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
That's one good looking engine. One question though. I've been looking all over for something that will patch in to the stock Fiero fuel lines, what did you use? Does it have an O-ring like the stock lines?

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC under construction
'84 2m4 daily driver

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Ya ran into that problem myself. My Fiero had the fan without shroud. Before the 4 core I had nothing but trouble. Helped a little bit with the shroud. Then I got the 4 core. Hood vents will help. There is a lot of heat that comes out of my sunbird vents. But whether it will make up the difference I dont know. He can try it and see anyway. Just watch the guage closely.
Gotta say Chester... SWEET! When do I get to drive it?
HIOSILVER

even with a hood vent?

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Archie

I was wondering about that myself, but I think that the vent will let enough hot air escape. If needed I'll make a sheetmetal shroud to cover the rest of the open radiator. At this point I JUST WANT IT TO RUN!

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by neverendingproject:

That's one good looking engine. One question though. I've been looking all over for something that will patch in to the stock Fiero fuel lines, what did you use? Does it have an O-ring like the stock lines?

Actually found some pipe fittings that had the right thread and used liquid teflon to seal it up. Haven't pressure tested it yet, but I feel pretty confident that it will be ok.

Rob D.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock