Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Install a V8 with me! Warning! Many pics! (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Install a V8 with me! Warning! Many pics! by chester
Started on: 08-27-2002 08:38 PM
Replies: 540
Last post by: chester on 06-08-2004 08:28 PM
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2002 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
I sure hope your place is heated. Winter's on the way!!!

Unfortunatly heating my garage is like heating the outdoors but hell, get enough forced air heaters in there and its tolerable.

Rob D.

IP: Logged
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump for you Rob, this thing had found its way to page 6.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Got the A/C and Alt mounted on the motor today, the front mount bolted to the cradle (for the test fit) and the remote oil relocation kit installed and mounted.

Should be doing the test fit by next weekend.

A/C compressor on the new mount.

Bolted down the front mount to the cradle

Mounted oil relocation kit.

Installed the alternator and belt.

Side shot

Slowly but surely.

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 11-03-2002).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Woooooooow.

<Picks jaw up off the floor, and presses back button>

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
--1986 GT Daily Driver, 4:10s, NX 50 Shot, Borla exhaust, ported manifolds, and a few other goodies
--1984 SE 4.9, IMSA spoiler, Duel exhuast, GT rear bumper, Konis, drop spindles, Rear adjustable perch, Poly total kit, Poly cradle bushings, Big front bar, Added rear bar, 11.25" brakes on all corners w/SS hoses, Fancy wheels wrapped w/soft rubber, and much much more.

The Aura

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
nice hammer
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:

nice hammer

gotta pound somethin

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

remember, Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

PFF
System Bot
stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Wow

That engine fills that cradle very Nicley!

Lookin' good

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
the safety glasses aren't bad either... oh yeah.. almost forgot.. the engine... the engine looks great!!

------------------
Red 86 SE 2.8

Feel free to rate me! :)

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
I had a little gas leak last night which brought the local police and fire department to my house. I started talking to the officer that arrived and he commented on the amount of Fieros I own. After shooting the breeze for a few he asked me where my black one was. (Joys of a small town ) I brought him into the garage and showed him my new transplant. He about dropped to the floor! Then the barrage of questions... It was quite funny...

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a bottle fed 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Well, got the test fit done this past Sunday and already removed, welded and reinstalled the motor onto the cradle. My mandrel bent exhaust tubing and water pump setup came in today. Too bad the pump is blue and not red like I ordered. But Summit made it right by shipping another out to me. Next is to finish in the engine compartment and then hopefully get the motor installed this weekend...Some pics...

Motor on dolly

Under car getting ready to hoist in.

In the car. I didn't want to take it back out!

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 11-14-2002).]

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Boing!

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Sweet! Love the fuel injection.

Roy

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Rob, This transplant should be in the Designers Engine Section. It looks too nice to turn on. Will you still use the aluminized thermal barrier on the forward bulkhead? I would be very interested to see what material you use if it's still in your plans. And BTW..whats the pressure and flow rate for your water pump? Lookin great.
Marty
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bazooka:

Rob, This transplant should be in the Designers Engine Section. It looks too nice to turn on. Will you still use the aluminized thermal barrier on the forward bulkhead? I would be very interested to see what material you use if it's still in your plans. And BTW..whats the pressure and flow rate for your water pump? Lookin great.
Marty

Thanks for the compliments all!! My plans were to have this installed this weekend, unfortunately, as my luck would dictate, there is a major winter storm heading for us destine to give me grief on Saturday...

I am lining the engine compartment with a Thermo-Tec heat barrier. The water pump is a CSI remote pump. Don't know the sustained pressure rating but it flows 37 gallons/minute.

Rob D.

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Incredibly clean!
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Now you got to do something about the "ratty" silver coverings of your cables. Tell us more about the fire at Fieropride.
PFF
System Bot
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
hey chester.. where did you get that engine anyway?

------------------
Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Now you got to do something about the "ratty" silver coverings of your cables. Tell us more about the fire at Fieropride.

New cables WITH new coverings are already on their way. We are replacing everything replacable in the Dirty Rat. We are only doing this once (well, twice since the first time was the new V6 that is going in my blue GT!)

------------------
Elvira
President, New England Fiero Association (NEFA)
www.dirtyratracing.org
Blue 87GT 5sp (TruBlu)
Black 86GT 5sp (The Dirty Rat)
87 GT 4-seater (2+2)
Maroon 88 T-top Formula (Fun-In-The-Sun)
85 GT autocrosser (Auto-X)

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Direct Link to This Post
Ouch, a FORD IAC.

------------------
Josh Pics of my cars

Join New England Fiero Association

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88CoupeV6:

Ouch, a FORD IAC.

???? According to the Edelbrock manual, all sensors are GM...

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chester, I noticed you put your oil filter at the same location as V8Archie does. Why? If you are spending all the money for a filter relocation kit, why don't you mount it somewhere that is very easy to get to? Just wondering.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Hey Chester, I noticed you put your oil filter at the same location as V8Archie does. Why? If you are spending all the money for a filter relocation kit, why don't you mount it somewhere that is very easy to get to? Just wondering.

Hmmm...well, I never considered it hard to get to where it is.

Rob D.

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Rob D.

I have my remote filter in the same location on my Archie kit and it seems to be well located for proximity, protection, and ease of accessabilty. It's just inside the cradle directly under the rear edge of the drivers door. I have been changing oil effortlessly in this location.
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
I have mine a little closer to the middle myself doesnt even come close to the exhaust either. I think it is fine there.
HIOSILVER

Rob D.

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2002 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2002 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

hey chester.. where did you get that engine anyway?

The motor came from Marks performance engines in Phoenix Arizona. I got a long block from him and then pieced the rest together. He sold everything carbureted and I had to have MPFI .

Rob D

PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2002 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Free bump.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Well, finally got to weld and grind 101. Did I mention that I NEVER welded before? Heheheh...melt metal...arh.. I decided to fabricate my own exhaust for my conversion. I also decided to go with the rumble of a flowmaster over the dual cats. I ran 2 1/2 inch exhaust to a flowmster 40 from West Coast Fiero. I'm debating if I want the exhaust to break down in the middle or not. Anyway, here are the progress pics. Let me know what you think!

Rob D.

PS. Once I'm done it getting jethot coated.

Weld and grind

Not too shabby

Front header

Rear header

Underside

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 12-01-2002).]

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
This is the last bend to weld in. The muffler will be clamped on.

Rob D.

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Where ya putting the oxygen sensor?
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:

Where ya putting the oxygen sensor?

Oh yeah, thats going off the back header. I have the fitting, just haven't welded it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Rob D

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Looking pretty good Rob! I wanted to switch to the 2 into 1 exhaust route before I sold the car.

Just a tip, you may want to double nut the bolts that hold the pipe to the header flanges. I had a problem with the nuts falling off untill I double nutted them.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Looking pretty good Rob! I wanted to switch to the 2 into 1 exhaust route before I sold the car.

Just a tip, you may want to double nut the bolts that hold the pipe to the header flanges. I had a problem with the nuts falling off untill I double nutted them.

Thanks for the tip. I'm using crimp style lock nuts.

Rob D.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You might want a heat shield of some sort for your oil lines too, they look awfully close to the exhaust.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

You might want a heat shield of some sort for your oil lines too, they look awfully close to the exhaust.

Actually the picture is deceiving. The oil lines are about 6-8 inches from the exhaust. They will get a clamp to hold them against the cradle.

Rob D.

blackie2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackie2m6Click Here to visit blackie2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackie2m6Direct Link to This Post
Hey Rob your engine is coming along nicely,
We will soon be down your way to deliver the V-8 to MA, We're planning on dropping in on you and Elvira on our way down!See you soon.
Keep up the great work, at this rate you might even have it in the car when we arrive.

------------------

Best of class-HMN- Carlisle 2002

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

I agree with Jelly, I had to double-nut mine. Not trying to be an 'Ogre' here Rob, but with such a beautiful hp SBC, I'm a little concerned as to the TEE setup of the rear bank of cylinders... When mine was done (very similar in fact), the rear bank was bent around (allowing better flow) as the front bank was cut/angled into the bend.(more of a Y angle) Now, I'm no exhaust expert, and my pipes were smaller diameter, but I'm worried you may have a bit of a flow problem with the rear bank...
And then I said to myself, "who wants to hear the negatives?"...
Much better welding than I started off with... nice aluminum rear mounts!
great job
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 12-01-2002).]

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:

I agree with Jelly, I had to double-nut mine. Not trying to be an 'Ogre' here Rob, but with such a beautiful hp SBC, I'm a little concerned as to the TEE setup of the rear bank of cylinders... When mine was done (very similar in fact), the rear bank was bent around (allowing better flow) as the front bank was cut/angled into the bend.(more of a Y angle) Now, I'm no exhaust expert, and my pipes were smaller diameter, but I'm worried you may have a bit of a flow problem with the rear bank...
And then I said to myself, "who wants to hear the negatives?"...
Much better welding than I started off with... nice aluminum rear mounts!
great job
Sandy

Thanks for the response Sandy,

Do you think that there will be a flow problem? There's not really much room to play with considering the drive axle goes thru there. I figured given the pipe diameter I should be ok. I tried to angle it some, its not at a direct 90 degree but close.

I guess only time will tell.

Rob D.

Santa Cruzer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Santa CruzerSend a Private Message to Santa CruzerDirect Link to This Post
Very nice welding skills, are you sure it was your first time???

------------------
1986 Fiero SE
www.2m6performance.tk

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Chester,

Flow problem aside, the problem I'd be afraid of is think of the exhaust path there and what it will hit. NOTHING likes a sharp 90° turn at high velocities and it will attempt to go straight. Hitting the back side of your pipe will really push the temperatures way up and shorten the life of that pipe. Make sure nothings behind that area that you don't want melted WHEN (not if) it finally fails.

Other than that, you're doing a great job and it's a very clean install. My hat's off to you.

Oh, as far as the oil filter goes, I wouldn't mount mine like that simply because I like to prefill them at oil changes. You're not going to be able to with a horizontal filter. I know a lot of factory cars do it that way, and they seem to work, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

John Stricker

Thanks for the response Sandy,

Do you think that there will be a flow problem? There's not really much room to play with considering the drive axle goes thru there. I figured given the pipe diameter I should be ok. I tried to angle it some, its not at a direct 90 degree but close.

I guess only time will tell.

Rob D.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock