Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Install a V8 with me! Warning! Many pics! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Install a V8 with me! Warning! Many pics! by chester
Started on: 08-27-2002 08:38 PM
Replies: 540
Last post by: chester on 06-08-2004 08:28 PM
Elvira

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
Speaking of Por15, Can you paint over it with a base coat/clear coat paint?

project looks nice. These threads are great motivaters.

Yes, it is paintable. It also comes in a couple of colors like gloss black and silver.

IP: Logged
Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post

Elvira

933 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by Fiero5:
Show off!!

Steve

Hehe, stop by Sunday after the show and you can see it in person! We will be working on getting the engine compartment cleaned up and ready for painting and insulating this weekend. I am going to be getting my cradle ready for MY engine and tranny! I can't wait, especially since I helped build this motor that we just pulled! It is going to look nice in my blue (after I do it up in yellow, of course! )

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
Is that a Flowmaster on the 2.8? I didn't think any of those would fit without
"tweaking"?
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HarryG:
"tweaking"?

Good eye! That's a flowmaster that was modified by WCF. Running 2.5" exhaust tubing.

Rob D.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Speaking of Por15, Can you paint over it with a base coat/clear coat paint?

You can't paint over Por15 with anything if it is dry. The reason being that Por15 leaves a very slick surface and if you scratch that surface (in order to get paint to adhere) you reduce it's effectivness. What you will want to do is....

• Paint with Por 15 using your prefeered method
  • While the Por15 is still tacky paint over it with a thick primer to fill in any imperfections
  • If any further imperfections remain use filler putty, bondo etc directly on the primer making sure not to disturb the Por15 below.
  • Prime and paint as desired.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:
You can't paint over Por15 with anything if it is dry. The reason being that Por15 leaves a very slick surface and if you scratch that surface (in order to get paint to adhere) you reduce it's effectivness. What you will want to do is....

• Paint with Por 15 using your prefeered method
  • While the Por15 is still tacky paint over it with a thick primer to fill in any imperfections
  • If any further imperfections remain use filler putty, bondo etc directly on the primer making sure not to disturb the Por15 below.
  • Prime and paint as desired.

Ah, ok....not true...this is from their FAQ on their website. Looks like its not a problem to me.

CAN I PAINT OVER POR-15 WITH OTHER PAINTS?
Absolutely. POR-15 will accept all paints, including lacquer-based paints. POR-15 Tie-Coat Primer is the best prime coat to use before topcoating POR-15. Be sure to read thoroughly our directions and tip sheets regarding topcoating before using POR-15.

You can read about it here
http://www.por15.com/faqs/por15faq.html#overpaint

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 08-30-2002).]

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Elvira:
Hehe, stop by Sunday after the show and you can see it in person! We will be working on getting the engine compartment cleaned up and ready for painting and insulating this weekend. I am going to be getting my cradle ready for MY engine and tranny! I can't wait, especially since I helped build this motor that we just pulled! It is going to look nice in my blue (after I do it up in yellow, of course! )

You are of course assuming that we will have the Indy done in time
We just got done tearing down part of the front under the hood and the whole dash area and part of the interior to get to ALL the wiring.
It's going to be a long day tomm, as we have to make a Fiero run to Maine on top of trying to get the Indy all rewired.

Steve

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:
this is from their FAQ on their website.

Well, that is what they told me to do for "best results." This was several years ago so it is possible that their formula has changed. You might want to keep my method in mind though for I know of several others that found it to be the best method.

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HarryG:
"tweaking"?

I run a Series 80 Camaro Flowmaster in my GT. That is the biggest one. I think the WCF is only a Series 40.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT T-Top Stock
White 88 GT Stock

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the Into on painting POR15. The frame was already done. I will contact them at the time that i paint it.

what Tranny are you running, 4spd or 5spd?

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the Into on painting POR15. The frame was already done. I will contact them at the time that i paint it.

what Tranny are you running, 4spd or 5spd?

I'm using a Getrag 5 speed.

PFF
System Bot
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Well, another day, another pain in the arse!
Since I'm waiting on the POR-15 to come in I decided to get some other things done. Auto-X was in dire need of new struts. Low and behold I found a new set of koni adjustable struts on EBay for $250! Can you say BUY IT NOW! So, since I'm kinda at a standstill with the Dirty Rat, I decided to change them today. It amazes me on how things can snowball. Needless to say the new struts are in, with a drivers side half shaft (old one had a torn boot). Also had to fix some bolts that decided to break on the way out. Well, typical two hour job turned into a full days work. Didn't get to the alignment shop but first impressions with the new struts and the ebachs are WOW! Can't wait to throw Auto-X into some turns once the alignment is set! As always, here are a few pics for your viewing enjoyment

Me and Auto-X

New strut and half shaft

The adjustments are pretty simple

Stick on knob and twist! SWEET!

Time to go have me a tall Gin and juice!

Lates folks!

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2002 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Great buy on the Koni's, running the same one's in my car. Guess I should break down and buy a replacement adjustment knob.
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2002 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Nice engine, can't wait to see it in your car.
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2002 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

So, since I'm kinda at a standstill with the Dirty Rat

so what about the front of the rat?

------------------

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2002 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JD86GT350:

Yeah yeah...your right..I SHOULD be working on front end BUT I need to POR-15 for the metal under the nose as well. Good excuse huh? hehehe...

PFF
System Bot
SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2002 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JD86GT350:

Sounds like JD350 is a little curious as to what the Ferrari front end is going to look like!

At the chula I remember you talking about that being a possible nose for your ride.

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2002 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

Yeah yeah...your right..I SHOULD be working on front end BUT I need to POR-15 for the metal under the nose as well. Good excuse huh? hehehe...

ok, you're off the hook for now Rob!

gee Gary, am I that obvious?
I still gotta decide what I"m gonna do this winter.

3 choices.......

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2002 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
On a better note, some of you know that I've been on a quest to find some short true 2 piece valve covers. After calling every speed shop on the planet (or at least that’s what it felt like) and getting the "never heard of those" over and over, I was getting ready to give up my search. Well, yesterday we attended Spindles car show in Mass. Was a great time even though our Fiero participation went from 13 last year to just 5 this year, with a late arrival of Steve and Marion Kelly to bring it up to 6 . Along with the show Spindles hosts a swap meet. Well, we go rummaging thru all the "stuff" and Elvira calls me going "Aren't these the two piece valve covers like you were looking for?" Ah, holly crap - there they are! I knew I wasn't loosing my marbles just yet!
In the box lay a nice set of B&M two piece valve covers! SHWEEEEEEET!!!!! And their SHORTS! I was stoked!! Best $75 dollar investment into this project yet. Have I been 2 minutes later, a fellow with a 350 in a Porsche would have skanked them. He was all over me with one of those “I know your going to take them but can I see how there made?" Sure - check them out and weep buddy! He was a pretty nice guy - was in search of the same thing for quite some time. Anyway, here's what they look like. Will help ease the valve adjustment blues once the motors in the car

Thanks babe!!!!

Even got the box

A little shine and they'll be good as new!

Split apart

Bottom half installed. Will make valve adjustents cake!

With the top on

I'm a happy camper.

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 09-02-2002).]

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2002 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice I bet those covers would polish up nice if you wanted them to. Once again good job... Keep us posted. You will be very pleased when you are done.

------------------
LS1 in and running :)

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2002 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Chester, is that V8 one of those nice all aluminum block and heads engine? I noticed "DART" on the valve cover. If so, how much lighter is this than a regular cast iron SBC?
...Rickker
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2002 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickker:
Chester, is that V8 one of those nice all aluminum block and heads engine? I noticed "DART" on the valve cover. If so, how much lighter is this than a regular cast iron SBC?
...Rickker

Nope - all iron. Didn't have the extra $4000 kicking around for an aluminum block. The motor is topped off with a set of Dart Iron Eagle racing heads.

Rob D.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Hello?

What happened?

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
Hello?

What happened?

Too lazy to post. I got the motor off the cradle and was literally waiting for the paint to dry. I was pretty pissed when I looked at the condition of my cradle. I just had the V6 installed back in December. The guy that did the install for me didn't even hose the cradle down! Needless to say, it had probably a good 40 pounds of grit, $hit and road grime on it. Took 2 days to get all the crap off the cradle and prep. All suspension components and cradle have gotten the POR-15 treatment. 2 sets that is since I'm working on another cradle assembly to put the 6 back on to stuff in Elvira's car. I have pics that I'll post this evening. Was going to last night but was just too tired. Also had to disassemble and POR-15 my polly mounts from WCF. The paint they used was crap. I haven't driven the car but 9,000 miles since the install of the 6 and the mounts are already rusty. Won't have to worry about that any more

Thanks for the bump!

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Old motor off cradle

Stripped with wire wheel, ready for final prep

Little elbow grease to get the rest of the $hit off

Better then new!

Had to go thru this TWICE! Glad it done. Will start the assembly process hopefully tonight!

Lates for now!

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Nice package setup, Rob. Very valid point about doing the job right the first time. Good tips on the Por-15 with black or silver mixed in. Also, what does the Thermo-Tec Insulation look like and how thick is it? Your conversion is developing nicely.

Marty

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Just curious to see if you know an easy method to cleaning the cradle. I've had mine out now for a while, and its taking forever to scrape all that crape outta the inside rear section. Any tips???
Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post09-12-2002 04:13 AM   Send a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I hope that you're not spraying POR-15 in the garage. There's some pretty nasty chemicals in it. That's why they suggest that you brush the stuff on.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2002 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bazooka:
Nice package setup, Rob. Very valid point about doing the job right the first time. Good tips on the Por-15 with black or silver mixed in. Also, what does the Thermo-Tec Insulation look like and how thick is it? Your conversion is developing nicely.

Marty

Thanks Marty.

The Thermo-tec is a aluminized insulation thats about 1/4" thick. I'll break it out and snap some pics soon.

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2002 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by Jncomutt:
Just curious to see if you know an easy method to cleaning the cradle. I've had mine out now for a while, and its taking forever to scrape all that crape outta the inside rear section. Any tips???

Theres no real "easy" or I should say "clean" way of doing it. I started with a regular off the shelf degreaser like simple green and a scrub brush. The grime that was in the cradle openings I had to scrape out with a screwdriver and degreaser. Rinse, check, repeat Final cleaning was done with the stuff that comes with the POR-15, called marine clean. Really good degreaser! After that I wire brushed the real rusty parts and Elvira applied the metal etch and POR-15 coating.

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2002 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by Leper:
I hope that you're not spraying POR-15 in the garage. There's some pretty nasty chemicals in it. That's why they suggest that you brush the stuff on.

It was brushed

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2002 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Well, made some progress last night. Got the old motor on Elvira's new cradle so she can continue with her own project. Staged my cradle and cleand up the garage. We sat thru some of Achies video last night. WHAT A RIOT! The video is funny as hell. Good info! We're going out of town on business over the weekend so no workie on the V8 but that's ok, all in due time. See ya when we get back!

Rob D.

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
What happened?

Is everything OK?

Did you finish it and are so busy having fun that you forgot to post?

------------------

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
What happened?

Is everything OK?

Did you finish it and are so busy having fun that you forgot to post?

I've made some headway but have been delayed with other obligations. Only so much time in a day. I'll try to post an update later this week. Thanks for asking!!

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post
I am sneaking in a couple of pics from last night. Sorry Babe, HEHEHE

Isn't he a cutie!!

------------------
Elvira
President, New England Fiero Association (NEFA)
www.dirtyratracing.org
Blue 87GT 5sp (TruBlu)
Black 86GT 5sp (The Dirty Rat)
87 GT 4-seater (2+2)
Maroon 88 T-top Formula (Fun-In-The-Sun)
85 GT autocrosser (Auto-X)

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks babe.

Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, this could be interesting!

Nice new screws!

And MY motor, getting it's yellow transformation while patiently waiting to go in my Blue GT!

Yellow plenum and valve covers just about ready to go on!

[This message has been edited by Elvira (edited 10-01-2002).]

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Hey, that's the same welder I have
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Well, finally got some time in the garage. I had a few set backs like a REAL sloppy gear drive (I mean like 1/4 inch of crank play ) Supposed to be a Dynagear but who knows. So it got replaced with a Milodon 3 gear unit. Direct port nitrous setup wouldn't work on my intake. Got that repalced. Anyway here are some pics of the steps along the way...

These are the NOS piggy back injectors I wanted to use. Real trick setup.

The Dyna Gear? gear drive I took out.

The Milodon 3 gear drive that was installed.

Drilling new guide pins for the timing cover. you have to adjust the gear lash before you do this.

Here it is all installed.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 10-15-2002).]

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2002 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Of course I spend half my time running back and forth to the hardware store. A bolt here, a brass fitting there...phew!

Finally got her off the engine stand! puting on the flywheel.

Making progress

Valve covers polished up nice.

Clutch disk up aginst the flywheel.

Clutch and pressure plate. this is the clutch pack that CrazyD is currently using. So far so good!

A few details...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock