Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero by fieroturbo
Started on: 01-17-2004 11:54 AM
Replies: 661
Last post by: fieroturbo on 07-18-2011 11:26 PM
superchris15

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superchris15Send a Private Message to superchris15Direct Link to This Post
Have you guys seen this?
http://www.fastfieros.com/engine_installs.htm
http://www.fastfieros.com/turnkey_solutions/ecotec_supercharged_engine_install.htm

Just wondering... I'm new to all this but just sat here and read all 8 pages of this
thread... Very interested in the outcome... already keeping an eye out for a Fiero...
Too bad I had one for my first car and got rid of it, wish i hadn't done that

IP: Logged
FieroGTdude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2006 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTdudeSend a Private Message to FieroGTdudeDirect Link to This Post
Any updates? Im going to be doing this swap also so im very anxious to see the finished product.
djbushman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for djbushmanSend a Private Message to djbushmanDirect Link to This Post
Same here, I've read through all these pages and every other regarding the Ecotec and am dying to
explore and learn from the final outcome. I loved your quote FieroTurbo in the beginning about the Duke
getting old, and something faster and with higher fuel economy needing to replace it. Awesome.

For certain, if someone designed a kit, webpage, and amazing instructions (even maybe links or relationships
with possible engine/tranny suppliers) then I think this will be a major HIT! Sign me up, yeah.

Good luck anyhow, -Derek.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm a V8 nut, but I have to say this supercharged 4-cylinder REALLY looks kewl. If I ever do another swap, it would have to be the 2.0SC.

Bump, how's it coming?

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, sorry about the delays. Work, school, and also moving off the airbase into an apartment has stalled progress.

The project status it this. The motor is ready to be put together (install the bottom end, put the head on the block, etc.), but I'll wait until I'm sure the car is ready.

Two things need to happen...

One: I need to figure out what clutch to use (I need help on this one)
Two: I need to relocate the battery to the front. This will happen first.

So here's the question...

Who makes the best relocation kit?

------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Aircraft Electronics Technician Third Class
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I used a Norm's front battery box. It is a quality piece made of fiber glass, and he even includes wire with the battery box. I am extremely pleased with it.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thanks for the quick response!!!

If I'm not mistaken, I think Norm's is the cheapest as well.

The idea of the battery swap to start the project, is so that I can rip out the old rear tray during the motor install.

From what I can tell, stock battery location blocks where I want to install the intercooler. Plus, it's all rusted too, and looks like crap.

Well, time to order a battery tray!

Now, I just need to figure out if I need to order a clutch for a Fiero, or one for a Cavalier... that's the one part that has me stumped.

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by superchris15:

Have you guys seen this?
http://www.fastfieros.com/engine_installs.htm
http://www.fastfieros.com/turnkey_solutions/ecotec_supercharged_engine_install.htm

Just wondering... I'm new to all this but just sat here and read all 8 pages of this
thread... Very interested in the outcome... already keeping an eye out for a Fiero...
Too bad I had one for my first car and got rid of it, wish i hadn't done that

Well, thanks for reading my website.... I have purchased 3 F35 5 speed transmissions, and 2 LSJ 2.0L Supercharged engines. I have all the details worked out to install this to the Fiero. One problem is time however. I wanted this for a project to prove it can be done for one thing, then also to drive the Fiero and check that gas mileage. Someone also called me from California and noted that if I take a 4 cylinder Fiero with a 5 speed transmission, remove it, install a EcoTec 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, it will be smog legal as long as it passes all other emission related test.

Now, as far as tuning a EcoTec LSJ.. This is the disappointing area. I have tried to get DHP, HP tuners, and EFILive interested in supporting the EcoTec LSJ engine PCM so to able to tune this thing once it is in the Fiero. No luck as today still on the release of when. I am sure it is coming, but it could be months still. Todate, no one even supports the LS2 in the GTO... Huge market for that, and I guess they are having interface problems with it.

So, if you want "stock" 2.0L supercharged in a Fiero, I can do this. Tuned to anything beyond stock will require something like Intense Racing is providing with the MAFT+ and bigger injectors.

Loyde

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
FieroTurbo-

Spec clutches told me to buy a clutch based on the transmission, not the engine. Not sure if that helps you here. If you call Spec and ask to speak to tech support they will help you figure out exactly what you need. Good bunch of folks there.

BTW, I have Norm's tray. Nicely made and great price.

Rick

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the battery relocation kit is en route, and I've started working on the fuel system overhaul. Sorry I've been quiet. Things are hectic as usual. It's a good thing my girl is patient, and loves sports cars

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

PFF
System Bot
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
Thats nice to have an understanding girlfriend.
I talked to ceticars and he says he still has an adapter for the stock tranny. what all was required to use the adapter? Like clutch assembly, and other stuff. I am very excited to get this going, I have $1500 now and more over the summer. thanks

[This message has been edited by 1fastcaddy (edited 02-17-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

Thats nice to have an understanding girlfriend.
I talked to ceticars and he says he still has an adapter for the stock tranny. what all was required to use the adapter? Like clutch assembly, and other stuff. I am very excited to get this going, I have $1500 to burn over the summer! thanks

Hi there, and thanks for posting!

The only oddity I know of with the adapter is having to bend the metal pipe that goes to the water pump. Ceticars has pictures of this problem. What I'm going to try doing is just cut the pipe 2" from each end, and put a hose in the middle with a T-fitting, and I'll branch off the water for the turbocharger from there.

As far as $1500 to burn, I must warn you against this project. This type of conversion in newborn, expensive, and complex, whereas many other types, such as the 350 V8, 3800 V6, and Quad 4 are all seasoned veterans of the Fiero community, and have a bit of certainty to their success.

I'm doing this project with a DEEP uncertainty of completion. I'm having issues getting funds for a stand alone engine computer. No one seems to have sympathy for us poor military guys. We are far from rich.

Anywho, I suggest a different motor for your desires.

Take care everyone!

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I will be using megaquirt as they now have hardware to power coil on plug, and if that doesnt work, I will get the msd distributor for it. Or I could adapt the EDIS to it. there is plenty of options and I feel that I have enough knowledge to atleast begin on this, and during college at UTI in Houston, Texas I will also learn more about the advanced technology used in the ecotec. Im not going to give up, and $1500 is just a starting point, but I dont figure that it will be too much more than that. I will probably end up having my machinist make my adapter with the help of the gm ecotec manual. thanks for the info on that waterpipe also, later
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2006 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I found out Loyde a.k.a. FastFieros has adapter plates for around $350. That will help me start, and anybody else who wants to join in on the performance oriented fiero build. thanks
FieroGTdude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTdudeSend a Private Message to FieroGTdudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

Hey, I found out Loyde a.k.a. FastFieros has adapter plates for around $350. That will help me start, and anybody else who wants to join in on the performance oriented fiero build. thanks

I'll be starting mine this summer hopefully.

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
what clutch/flywheel combo needs to be used?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Most of the Fiero engine swaps have required what goes with the transmission as far as the clutch and pressure plate go. The flywheel I have is for an Ecotec, and since I'm mating it to a GM tranny, I'm hoping it will all be compatible. Worst case scenario, I do Ecotec Flywheel and pressure plate, with a clutch meant for the Fiero tranny's.

Like I said... wait till I get through the project before starting your own.

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
The deal for the motor fell through so Im looking for another one. thanks for the help

[This message has been edited by 1fastcaddy (edited 03-10-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroGTdude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTdudeSend a Private Message to FieroGTdudeDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Awesome Thread, I'm interested eventually in getting another Fiero and doing an LSJ swap of some kind ( I currently have a cobalt SS Supercharged.)... hope to see nice results!
Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Some Pics of the new ecotec residence and a bump for a good thread.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Update of the last 3 weeks... I think...

I've been EXTREMELY sick,
Been working my tail off,
Knocked out my FCC(Gen. Radar Lic.) and Fiber Optics Cert.,

and... here's the kicker...

---My truck is dying. And that thing is my parts hauler for the project, not to mention my ride to work.

So yeah, things suck for me.

If I don't get this running by October 1st, I think I'm gonna cry. LOL

Anyone good at changing S-10 headgaskets?

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
GREAT NEWS!!!

I just solved this project's version of the theory of relativity!

The solution is: Ecotec clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel with work on a Fiero transmission, and I think the flywheel's thickness will make up for the extra space the adapter plate makes... in fact, I may need a thicker adapter plate! LOL!

I'm ordering a kevlar clutch ASAP, and I'll toss it together, and see what happens!

Pics of my guinea pig parts that solved the problem will be up shortly!

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
BIG BREAKTHROUGH!!!

The distance from the tranny surface of the adapter plate to the lower engine mount holes on the ecotec is 15 1/8"

The distance from the engine mount holes on the cradle and the tranny surface of the 2.5 duke is 16" (on the forward hole)

This means the lateral difference between the cradle motor mount holes (front hole) and the Ecotec motor mount holes is 7/8th of an inch.

Talk about easy!!!

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 05-02-2006).]

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Oh, and pictures are coming, I promise.

I'll even make a video, explaining the whole clutch issue.

Wednesday at the latest!
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
keep us updated, oh mighty one
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2006 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
Hey man if this works out all right- i am TOTALLY gonna do this with that donor car i found So KEEP IT UP MAN! PICS! Cool project just took the hour to read all 9 pages either that or i just read slow.......

so 350 for an adaptor plate
700 for an engine and a harness
-----------------------------------
on a side note:
Lets start a price list! for all the new guys and all the guys that want to do this. I am waiting to find a decent 85 3.8 for my 85 gt IF YOU SEE ONE IN MN LET ME KNOW!
PS: WE NEED PICS- did i metnion we need pics of the actual swap into the car?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Ughh. I have an issue.

The splines on the tranny input shaft don't come out enough, and the last 1/4" or so is a bare shaft... NOT GOOD!

And for the life of me, I can't figure out that the size of the pressure-plate to flywheel bolts.

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

PFF
System Bot
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
I'VE GOT IT!

Flywheel/spacer/FLEXPLATE/crankshaft!

This would mean the starter motor would still work, but the cluch to shaft issues would be solved!

YESSSSS!!!

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
sweet this swap is sounding easier and easier man sounds awsome. keep it up man i am seriously looking forward to this- and man you need to get that site up too- nothings up yet man (don't mean to be pushy you are doing us fiero gus a HUE favor by taking this on man!)

Hey seeing that you are in the navy check this link out man.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/041513.html
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Thanks for the link! I don't really browse the O/T section too much. I need to though.

And I do need to update my site. Now that I'm done with college classes until October, I'll have time on the days that the airbase autoshop is closed to work on the site. I have a spinoff space reserved for just this project. It's at www.fieroturbo.info.

And an FYI. I will not be the first person to complete an Ecotec Fiero. The second one... yes. But it seems Ceticars has finished an automatic Ecotec 2.2L daily driver. Though he hasn't posted cause alot of people were being mean and stupid, and he's left the site because of it.

"I may have got the ball rolling, but he's the one that towed it up the hill." And people need to show him some grattitude because of it. Hopefully he'll give me photos to publish on my site. I'd like to show people that the swap will work on manual AND auto setups, and that this guy is for real, and they need to appologize to him.

And I'm sorry that I haven't gotten photo's of the guinea pig tranny parts yet. I'm still a bit steamed that I can't figure out the flywheel to pressure-plate bolt size. I've e-mailed Fidanza about it though.

Well, that's it for today. Later!

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Oh, and it's now official...

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN VIEWED 25,000 TIMES!!!
THANK YOU!!!

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 05-04-2006).]

GDS-1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2006 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GDS-1Send a Private Message to GDS-1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

Oh, and it's now official...

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN VIEWED 25,000 TIMES!!!
THANK YOU!!!

No...thank YOU! This will be an only swap I'm willing to have someone do. The other swaps are now financially impractical, and if you could do it I'd PAY you to do it.

Soon as I get another Fiero...
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
edited post

[This message has been edited by vega (edited 05-06-2006).]

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Dood, go take yer meds and re-read:

I have a spinoff space reserved for just this project. It's at www.fieroturbo.info.

He reserved it and has not yet put anything on it.

-Rick
(now seeing that Aaron's not so bad...)
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2006 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
my mistake- will edit post tonot fill up the thread-
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
kewl, that was nice of you.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock