Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero by fieroturbo
Started on: 01-17-2004 11:54 AM
Replies: 661
Last post by: fieroturbo on 07-18-2011 11:26 PM
Howard_Sacks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2004 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
What's 4303?

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

Hey, a bit of an update:

Just picked up a $300 set of 4303 Chrome Moly Piston Rods for the Ecotec.

Forged, Shot Peened, Heat Treated.....what could be better?

IP: Logged
C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
First, let me stop the hindenburg blowing up from Hydrogen rumor. not at all true.
Lets call it a blimp for lack of better terms
Science lesson:

A When any sort of object moves through the air it creates static electricity, the bigger the object the more electricity per amount of movement.

B The hindenberg was about 20ft shorter than the titanic. It was massive.

A+B= electricly charged flying airship that just so happened to be filled with hydrogen.

Now the creators of the hindenberg new about the static electricity, so they set up a ground system on the blimp, each outer panel was tied off to the metal frame of the blimp.

the outer layer was supposed to reflect light and heat to keep the hydrogen from expanding too much and from exploding.
but what the scientists that came up with the paint compound for the panels didnt know was that they were using an EXTREMELY flamable substance. the same substance among others used in rocket fuel today (with a much higher consentration on the panels)
So back to the static electricity,
the wire used to tie the reflector pannels onto the frame were poor conductors, most grounded well but some didnt.
the ones that didnt were the big problem.
What ended up happening is that one of the pannels that didnt groundwascharged andthe electricity actually "jumped" to another pannel, this created enough of a spark to set off the highly flamable pannels, which in turn caught the entire blimp on fire.
If you watch the footage that shows the blimp coming in for docking, after the initial fire, it is still floating in the air, so this means that the hydrogen isnt escaping all at once, and also hydrogen burns clear, you could see the flames, so this was another indicator that it wasnt the hydrogen that was burning
End of science lecture
<---- Rate me if that was informative please!!

C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post

C DuBBz87GT

239 posts
Member since Nov 2003

Excuse me, I'm about to splooge more info. (barf!)

This is a follow up on my response to Buffalo86GT with the hydrogen fuel cell thingy with the whole Hindenburg and exploding hydrogen BS... I did some more research.

The cause of the spark on the Hindenburg was lightning striking the top of the airship. What initially exploded and caught on fire was the skin, not the gas!!! The skin was made of the 3 elements that form rocket fuel (aluminum was one of them BTW). Yes the hydrogen lit on fire, but that was not what led to the fire engulfing the passengers. Hydrogen flames go up up up. The diesel fuel powering the engines was what caught on fire and leaked into the passenger area.

Also, I found out that Gasoline Vapors are 4 TIMES more explosive than Hydrogen. THIS IS A FACT!!! 100% True. I'll bet you're afraid of your gas tank now, eh?

Also, if Hydrogen leaks, it evaporates immediately. Ever spill liquid CO2? It just dissolves into nothing, VERY quickly. Same deal with hydrogen. It's the lightest gas out there, so it immediately rises.

I could keep going, but the facts are there. Once again, the news media is at fault, AS USUAL (we should ban CNN or something).
----------
Pricing is still up there. Fuel cell units are about $6500-7500 per Kilowatt output. Obviously, the fuel is cheap, since you can make Hydrogen from distilled water.

The hope is, by the time I make several of the Ecotec, Quad 4, and other kits, the price will have come down quite a bit, probabbly by about 2010.

Partially beat me to it, oh and i forgot to add that the ship probably would not have caught fire but the air ship had a delayed landing b/c of an electrical storm so thats why it was so electricly charged above normal amounts

okay back to the ecotec pictures man i want pictures of this "tiny beast"

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111
Year: 1987
Make/Model: Fiero GT
Color: Primer grey and burgundy
Transmission: 5spd Manual
AC PL PW PM sunroof defrost

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

The billet steel crank to go with it

That's for motor #2. It will have Darton cylinder sleeves, and will be o-ringed, and will have a copper o-ring head gasket, and all forged internals, and will be destroked to 2.0L.

All in all with a T60 turbo, the second motor should have about 700HP and an RPM redline of about 9700RPMs (Maybe 9500 just to have that extra margin of safety).

The rods are for the first motor. They'll ensure that I can hit 300HP. All of the other components, especially the stock crank, can hold past 300HP.

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

What's 4303?

The type of alloy used. There's 4303, 310, 308, Carbon Steel, etc.

--------------------

Hydrogen:

Yeah, the video of the airship blowing up shows it burning from top to bottom, which backs up the claim that someone saw a blue spark at the top of the ship, so it was most likely lightning and static electricity.

We actually use static wicks on the big ol' P-3's we work on in my squadron, and so far, so good. As long as one on each control surface is good, the plane has no danger of static buildup.

---------------------

For pictures of the motor, look on the first page of this topic

I'll get more up as soon as I get back to the US.

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (project starts in MARCH 2004)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (RIP. KIA by a Ford)
19** Chevy S-10....Coming soon

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Hey, a bit of an update:

Just picked up a $300 set of 4303 Chrome Moly Piston Rods for the Ecotec.

Forged, Shot Peened, Heat Treated.....what could be better?

Are you sure they're not 4340 connecting rods? I think Howard meant to indicate that 4303 would be awfully low in carbon content! If they ARE 4303, then 4340 could be better, most definitely.

Bryce
88 GT

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
OOPS!!! My bad, 4340. I got it mixed up with some special order suspension links I saw that were really light.

It is indeed 4340. Eagle rods. Good for over 700HP. 5.765" long, so it's not those short stroke rods that are so popular in the 9700RPM 1200HP drag motors, but almost as good.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I recall a Fiero here in the Netherlands with an Opel engine, but I think it is older than the Ecotec. It was years ago.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps it was an Ecotec. If you saw it within the last ten years, it very well could be an Ecotec, just a much older version.

Remember, you guys in Europe (where I am actually as we speak), got the Ecotec years before we did in the US, and Opel helped design it.

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
OK...howd I miss this thread?? I swear I'm blind.

Fieroturbo...I just sent you email....

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Bump... Any updates?...I'm drooling here....
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone!

Fresh from the Arctic Circle, and now back in the US...

it's me!!!

And pics of the turbo stuff, PLUS, Dkov's carbon fiber headliner:

Enjoy!

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (project starts in MARCH 2004)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (R.I.P.my beloved J-body. KIA by a Ford)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3....COMING THIS WEEK!!!

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 07-18-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
silver86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver86seSend a Private Message to silver86seDirect Link to This Post
hi i ahhhhh...kindaaaa. would like to enjoy pics to big forr dial up...thanks.......
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
PLEEEEEZE resize your pictures!! I have to scroll two screen widths to see what your pictures show, having said that now, looking good.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
The pictures are so big......... I went into the turbo and took the tour.

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)
Red 84 2.5 Coupe
In the process of buying another 87 GT

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I'm running a 1400x1050 resolution and those pictures hung off the end of my screen. That's a bit big.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck is for those who lack the courage to define their own fate

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2004 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yes, please, resize your pics, this thread has become very difficult to read because of the scrolling required. Pics should be no wider than 640 pixels to work best for most people.

JazzMan

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I don't see anything.......do you have some bigger pictures?

looking good though

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Fixed them!!!

Well, as soon as I get ahold of my new Black S-10 4.3L street truck, sometime this week, I'll go pick up the Ecotec motor itself, along with the tranny.

I'm still stuck on how the heck I'm going to get ahold of the rear deck lid that's in VA, and the engine cradle in MD, since it will be a day long trip to get both of them, and I only have so much military leave on the books.

Anyone work for UPS?

------------------
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3....COMING THIS WEEK!!!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
well, if you cant get all that other stuff, ill take teh turbo and the rest of it off your hands since you cant use it

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

AutoWhiz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoWhizSend a Private Message to AutoWhizDirect Link to This Post
fiero...I can get a fiero from a bone yard for $500....says it's pretty complete (1987 GT)

AutoWhiz

Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
The EcoTecs are big over here in Europe, especially the UK.

The 2.2 Ecotec here produces 144BHP.
But there is a 2.0 Turbo Ecotec that pushes out 190BHP.

In the Vauxhall VX220 ( Opel Speedster ) it kicks out even more HP.

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT Notchback, 2.8 V6, 4 speed manual. Custom made Tubular branch exhaust manifolds with true twin 3in exhaust system. No CAT, No EGR. No Crossover pipe. ADS Road Race SuperChip & 160 deg stat. Gen 4 eRam. Poly bushes all round. Lowered 2 inches. 16" alloys with 225/45 rubber. 0-60mph in 5.5 sec.

www.fieroforum.co.uk/Paul85gt.htm

PFF
System Bot
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I've been following the European side of Ecotec things quite a bit, especailly considering I just got back from Europe I want a Speedster soooooo badly. Word on the street is that if Pontiac ever decides to bring back the Fiero, it will be on the platform of the Elise/Speedster/VX Lightning. Funny thing is, the new speedster is supposed to be on the platform of the Pontiac Solstice (LOL). I guess the Americans are going to trade with the Germans now, ya?

The rear decklid in VA is going to have to wait, but I can now get ahold of a cradle in NH, only 1 1/2 hours from the airbase. Going there tomorrow.

The engine is now on a stand, the tranny, and the wiring harness are all in storage, and the turbo parts are safe and sound with me. Sorry bud, not selling them. The engine, which only has about 5,000 miles, is in great shape, but has a busted upper engine mount, so I have to hunt one of those down.

The project is starting at the end of this month, once the Navy's promotion exams are over and done with.

To start, I'm taking the head off so I can rip out the bottom end, and throw in forged parts. Still at a hard spot trying to figure out what headgasket to use.

I'll keep you guys updated.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3, it's finally here, and it is gorgeous!

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 03-07-2004).]

Dave Rodabaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave RodabaughSend a Private Message to Dave RodabaughDirect Link to This Post

BUT, if this project goes smoothly, and can be done with relatively low cost (under $5,000, which is doable), then I'll make custom tubular engine cradles meant for this conversion. If that goes well, I'll make other kits for Fieros, and also J-bodies, since alot of 95-01 Cavalier owners want Ecotecs so baddly, and 94-earlier owners want 3.8SC motors. I'll also branch into Fiero Quad 4 kits, maybe even 3.8SC conversions, AND, when Hydrogen Fuel Cells come down in price, I'll make an Electric Hydrogen Fuel Cell Fiero kit.

First, let me say how I hope you have the greatest of success! I take my hat off to you if you pull this off. But I have a question or two. First, what kind of kits are you talking about? Just the cradle kits? Or are you talking about the whole turbo setup? Also, pardon my forward nature, but why would I want to buy a kit from you, to go on my stock motor, when your development has gone on a heavily modified engine? This is in no way a slam, but an honest question.

As much as I love the roar of a 350 SB, it is in fact old technology, and if Fiero's are going to keep up with, or outrun the pack, it's time to move on to better technology.

Please explain why you think SBC's are old technology. And be specific. I, for one, disagree with this statement, and think it's baseless tripe. But you are a man on a mission, so I am interested in hearing exactly what you think is low tech about the SBC. And please, don't bother quoting credentials. I assure you that you cannot win that fight. I just want to discuss the comparison of the two motors, and why you think the SBC is low tech. That's all.

------------------
GO BUCKS!!!

[This message has been edited by Dave Rodabaugh (edited 03-07-2004).]

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
sbc is lowtech, thats what good about it. pushrod v8= old technology=reliable=CHEAP
if chevy were to go DOHC on all there sbcs they would make aTON of power and do it more effeciently but gm is going to continue to be gm and be CHEAP,ie Fiero cancled

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
The idea for the "kit" is to get the powerplant in there and make it fully operational. I'm doing the turbo upgrade and the perfomance stuff merely because I want 300+HP. The Ecotec's stock internals can hold up to 285HP on nitrous (fact), and about 300HP on turbo (some say 315 was acheived on stock internals, but 300 itself is hard to beleive).

Someone else may only want about 200HP. You can get that without a turbo. N/A mods will get you that in an Ecotec, or the simple method, nitrous.

Why I didn't use nitrous is because the motor works amazingly well with turbo's, but kinda flops with nitrous.

Now there is the upcoming bolt-on GM supercharger for the Ecotec and that can get you 200HP as well, with no internal mods. Even more power with pulley upgrades, just like the 3.8 SC Buick V6.

There are also T3 Super 60 Turbo kits that contain a low-yeild turbo for quick response with formiddable, and adjustable boost, and does not require internal mods.

The turbo is best for automatcs, as because auto's keep their RPM's up more that manual tranny's do, this prevents turbo lag going between gears.

The instant, non-lagging boost of a supercharger is better suited for manual tranny's because the RPM's dip down between gears more that they do with auto's.

If people show interest in upgrading the motors from the start, I'll set up a deal with exploitedracing.com and see if he can't modify his j-body kits to work with Ecotec and Quad 4 Fieros. Otherwise, the kits will be for the stock motors, but I will design the kit so that if someone wanted to install a turbo in the future, the motor/exhaust placement won't put them between "a rock and a hard place" so to speak.
-----------------------------------------------
Now, my deal with 350's... Pushrod valvetrains are weaker than overhead camshaft systems. It's an undeniable fact. I'm sure if the great power master himself, Smokey Yunick were still alive today, he'd say the same thing.

I should have been more specific when I said 350's were outdated. The blocks are rock solid, no doubt about it. The valvetrains, however, are outdated. There is a company called Dominion Heads that is working on DOHC 350V8 conversions. HP increases are in the 120HP range simply by installing these heads. They came out in 1999, but major valve stem wear occured, so they were pulled.

I think Hot Rod November 1999 had the initial review of the heads. They were supposed to be re-released last October, but nothing came up. The fact that there are 4 valves per cylinder, over the regular 2 per cyl, increases flow DRAMATICALLY, and certainly makes it well worth the wait.

Now, word on the street is that the 2005 Corvette C6 will have a DOHC Chevy SB V8. Combine that with the up to date engine electronics that we've seen in late model F-bodies and the Corvette Z06, and we'll see something that will totally destroy any competition that GM has on the street, and in the racing world.

If GM makes a production Dual-OverHead Camshaft, 4 valve per cylinder, Chevy 350 Small Block V8, I will retract my previous statement about 350 "valvetrains" being outdated old technology.

I'm not trying to step on any toes, I'm simply stating a fact. I love the 350V8, especially the aluminum block ones. The orgasmic sound, the low end torque, the massive aftermarket for them..... but pushrods bug me. I don't trust them. I'm especially afraid of the ones in my Iron Duck.
The Ecotec can simply be described as this; ultra-light, ultra-reliable, low-emissions, better fuel economy, and if my travels in the Navy should allow me and my car to go over to Europe, parts are readily available there.

The big thing that turned me onto this motor, is that the weight balance of the car will be at 50/50, or darn close. The vehicle will also be lighter overall. Lighter vehicle=less HP needed to propel the car, better acceleration, better handling, better fuel mileage, better braking, less stress on the chassis, less tire wear, less brake wear.... the list goes on. And you can't deny the benefts of a perfectly balanced vehicle either.

Total vehicle weight could fall into the 2400lb range, aided by the fact that the block for the motor weighs 69lbs.
Keep up the input guys. It's keeping my wits on my toes and keeping my spirits up as well.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Oh, BTW...

The upcoming Chevy Cobalt (replacement for the Cavalier), and the Pontiac Solstice will both have a new 2.4L (over the 2.0L and 2.2L US versions) of the Ecotec, WITH variable valve timing. HP and Tq levels are at 170 each.

Forgot to mention that the 2.0L versions can hit 10,000 RPM's.

Dave Rodabaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave RodabaughSend a Private Message to Dave RodabaughDirect Link to This Post

Now, my deal with 350's... Pushrod valvetrains are weaker than overhead camshaft systems. It's an undeniable fact. I'm sure if the great power master himself, Smokey Yunick were still alive today, he'd say the same thing.

I should have been more specific when I said 350's were outdated. The blocks are rock solid, no doubt about it. The valvetrains, however, are outdated. There is a company called Dominion Heads that is working on DOHC 350V8 conversions. HP increases are in the 120HP range simply by installing these heads. They came out in 1999, but major valve stem wear occured, so they were pulled.

I think Hot Rod November 1999 had the initial review of the heads. They were supposed to be re-released last October, but nothing came up. The fact that there are 4 valves per cylinder, over the regular 2 per cyl, increases flow DRAMATICALLY, and certainly makes it well worth the wait.

Now, word on the street is that the 2005 Corvette C6 will have a DOHC Chevy SB V8. Combine that with the up to date engine electronics that we've seen in late model F-bodies and the Corvette Z06, and we'll see something that will totally destroy any competition that GM has on the street, and in the racing world.

If GM makes a production Dual-OverHead Camshaft, 4 valve per cylinder, Chevy 350 Small Block V8, I will retract my previous statement about 350 "valvetrains" being outdated old technology.

I'm not trying to step on any toes, I'm simply stating a fact. I love the 350V8, especially the aluminum block ones. The orgasmic sound, the low end torque, the massive aftermarket for them..... but pushrods bug me. I don't trust them. I'm especially afraid of the ones in my Iron Duck.

I think you should retract your statement now as baseless and out-of-touch with the facts. Your definition of technology appears to be as follows:

# of valves per cylinder + # of camshafts = technology.

This is a very poor definition. Let's take inventory and come up with something better:

(1) Block. The LSx is all-aluminum, and lightweight. It is incredibly stiff. Great technology.
(2) Crank. Got hollow crank? The thing is bulletproof. It is held on by far more than two bolts per main also. Good technology.
(3) Oil pan. Seen it? It is shaped to purposefully prevent oil from running away from the pump pickup, while preventing windage. Good technology.
(4) The heads. These are the glittering technical jewel in the engine. If you don't look at the LSx heads and see high-tech, then you should discard your tech training in favor of a real engineering degree. This thing is MARVELOUS. The LS6 head produces in excess of 75 HP/L *and* 75 ft-lbs/L, and makes power right up to its lofty redline. Both of these figures handily outstrip the production Ecotec, and though some massaging of the Ecotec will achieve these values, it still needs twice as many valves. See, this is the conundrum you face when you simply count the number of valves and conclude that something is low tech. When you get right down to it, the FACTS are that the LSx heads flow as well as the Ecotec heads, but with only half as many valves. If you are truly technical, then you MUST conclude that either (a) the Ecotec's heads are really low tech despite their number of valves, or (b) the SBC's two valve heads aren't low tech. Which do you want?

I trust that you are smart enough to now stop confusing your (misplaced) distrust of pushrods with your definition of technology. How many Corvettes and F-bodies do you need to see, running fast and reliably, before you replace fears with experience? They aren't weak. This is FACT, evidenced by the 100's of thousands of copies of this engine running around. Heck, it isn't hard to tack another 1000 RPM onto the stock limit of that "weak" valvetrain, and turn RPM's far in excess of what any stock Ecotec can do until you decide to pull its balance shafts.

The rumor about C6 has NEVER been DOHC with 4V/cylinder. NEVER. The C6's powerplant is already established. It is 2V, 6.0L, and 400/400. The rumor is that the next Z06 will be 500/500. I can tell you what is next out of GM Powertrain for the SBC: three valves per cylinder, PUSHROD. This is not speculation. I have even read one article about it already; you should see the 3D drawings! They are even experimenting with cam phasing, on the single camshaft still nicely nestled in the block. The reasons for this are TECHNOLOGICAL. Pushrods allow the engine to retain the following positive characteristics:

(1) Smaller packaging vs DOHC. Not only is the engine smaller, but it has a lower CG, which matters in a car like Corvette.
(2) Fewer moving parts vs. DOHC.
(3) Simpler oiling requirements than DOHC.
(4) Displacement-on-demand. (Hey, now THAT'S high tech.) Don't try this with DOHC.
(5) Greatly simplified timing gear.
(6) A single exhaust valve allows for simple but well-tuned headers, as well as faster catalyst light-off.

I hope this sheds a different light onto your fears. Don't misunderstand -- I am excited about the Ecotec. A decent GM four cylinder has been 30 years in the making. I am eyeing the Solstice, and I think their engine selection is spot-on. However, the Gen III (and soon, Gen IV) SBC isn't just the best pushrod engine GM has ever built; it is the best engine they have ever built, period. As I like to say...

"Four valves per cylinder is a poor substitute for good engineering."

------------------
GO BUCKS!!!

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

From Louie at ]www.accesscom.com:

DOHC vs. OHV

From a bulletin board discussion:

[louie]
On any give engine size, the DOHC 4 valve will always make more HP vs. the OHV motor. DOHC motors coupled with variable intake and variable cam tech help produce a motor with good MPG, torque, and top end power.
------------------------
DOHC things that I like:

*Spark plugs in the center of the head, I always like this call it a fetish.
*DOHC motors you can change overlap with adjustable timming gears, a major benefit when tuning for an aftermarket turbo or supercharger.
*Cam/valve wear is almost non-existent on a DOHC design, cam and valves can and do last a long long time. Unlike the OHV valve motors which tend to kill their valve springs and beat the valve seat to death.
*DOHC designs have a much easier time using VTEC type technology. This is not to say that OHV can't use this, it is not as easy to do on OHV motors.
-----------------
The huge drawbacks of the OHV motor were/are:

cam wear
unable to maintain high rpm valve stability with out the first part (cam wear) happening
-----------------
OHV does not automatically mean a 2 valve motor, just as OHC does not automtomatically mean a 4 valve motor.

A 4 valve motor is normally going to always be better daily driver compared to a 2 valve motor of the same displacement.
-----------------
At any given point in the RPM band a smaller displacement, Naturaly aspirated, motor will make better emissions than a motor of larger displacement at the same rpm.
-----------------
If you add more tech like variable intakes, variable cams, the DOHC may be equal to a 50% bigger OHV engine.

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 03-08-2004).]

John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Well, hopefully we can back on topic. You're doing good fieroturbo! We're all looking forward to you completing this project.

BTW, are you in VP-92? I know there's other squadrons up there too. I'm a SELRES AE1 in VP-66.

Avery Montembeault

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post

Now, my deal with 350's... Pushrod valvetrains are weaker than overhead camshaft systems. It's an undeniable fact. I'm sure if the great power master himself, Smokey Yunick were still alive today, he'd say the same thing..

You should pick up a copy of Yunicks "Power Secrets". if you read it, you'll find he liked pushrod engines, and rejected overhead cam setups. to quote the book: "In the mid sixties Chevrolet sent this prototype of a dual overhead cam cylinder head for the small block to Smokey's for testing and evaluation. Although the overhead cams looked exotic, Smokeys testing showed that the elaborate design was not as good as the stock smallblack heads at engine speeds up to 6500 rpm. They were not practical for street engines, and the project was eventually dropped. "

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Alot has changed since the mid-sixties.. Most of GM's new engines are [d,s]ohc..

I am thinkin that GM is staying with pushrods in the corvette and muscle cars to be "true to their roots"

James Z

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Dave Rodabaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave RodabaughSend a Private Message to Dave RodabaughDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SplineZ:

Alot has changed since the mid-sixties.. Most of GM's new engines are [d,s]ohc..

I am thinkin that GM is staying with pushrods in the corvette and muscle cars to be "true to their roots"

James Z

There is no doubt that this is what they are doing. But as I demonstrated, there are legitimate benefits to the pushrod approach. Furthermore, GM is staying with the pushrods because they are genuinely good at it. The proof is in the numbers. The present small blocks push out comparable HP/L *and* torque/L numbers with only half the valves. If you take your 32V DOHC engine and get dusted by a Vette, what are you gonna say? "Well, at least I'm high tech" is a dumb way to console yourself.

------------------
GO BUCKS!!!

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Furthermore, GM is staying with the pushrods because they are genuinely good at it.

That they are. More than "roots" is the VAST aftermarket associated with the SB and BB engines. While Ford and Chrysler are moving almost exclusively to SOHC/DOHC, GM is keeping the pushrod. There is also the matter of cost, no doubt in my mind that GM produces the SB cheaper than OHC engines, yet prolly charges as much as the others get for their OHC engines. Eventually they will go with OHC engines, but don't hold your breath.........Paul

UFO!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UFO!Send a Private Message to UFO!Direct Link to This Post

Ever hear of the LT5?

http://www.zr1.net/ZR1_specs.html

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Lotus Engine...not american, much like the Ecotec. Great motor though.

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 03-08-2004).]

UFO!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UFO!Send a Private Message to UFO!Direct Link to This Post

Lotus Engine...not american, much like the Ecotec. Great motor though.

Still a GM engine. Designed by Lotus for GM.

Another thing.. look at the power produced by the LT5 and look at the power produced by the C6 motor. Old technology is producing at least 100 more HP than a "Lotus designed", dual-overhead cam, 32-valve motor. Just because the SBC design elements are "old skool", doesn't mean they don't find new technological ways to improve them.

[This message has been edited by UFO! (edited 03-08-2004).]

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
They really didn't do much with the Lotus motor. Very un-tuned. GM owns Lotus, so it's "sorta" an American motor, much like the Ecotec, which also is untuned.

We'll just call it even and name the Ecotec as the 4banger version of a LT5. Un-tuned, with incredible potential, and Lotus had a hand in both of them.

Savvy?
------------------------
Anywho, back to the project.

Just ordered new engine mounts (polyurethane) for the Ecotec, should be here shortly. The upper is cracked, and the lower dogbone broke as well in the accident. Luckily, the lower mounting bracket is in good shape though. Woulda sucked trying to find that in a junkyard.

Still need an 88 engine cradle (any kind, V6, I4, auto, etc.), somewhere in New England, or the NY, NJ, PA area. Was supposed to be one near Epping Dragway in NH, but no luck. Anyone know of one for sale?

Still searching for a Fel-Pro head gasket, or similar. Copper is too problematic, unless it's a fully machined block.

Going to purchase the final electronics/harnesses needed this week. Now I can work on the engine by day (cause the shop is only open 8-5) and the electronics by night.

The gathering of parts, I hope, will end by easter, cause the truck goes south, and the Fiero comes north again, and after March 18th, when the advancement exams are done, I'll start ripping the block apart.
---------------------------
John, I'm in VP-10. 92 is on this base though.

And I was just down at Willow Grove last month, where you are, to pick up the check for the truck I bought in Jersey. Met your CO (or XO, I can't recall). He's an 0-5, I know that. Asked him for directions at the Nex. I know of your squadron, it's the reserve one with the Liberty Bell logo. Would have gone for that if I went reserves, but I went active duty instead.

Brunswick, ME was the closest I could get to Allentown, PA. No Willow Grove for us active duty guys.
---------------------------
Avery, just as SplineZ said, that was the sixties. Like I said, if Smokey were alive ""TODAY"" he'd say different. Technology has changed in the last 40 years.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 03-09-2004).]

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hiya guys!

Just got back from New Hapshire with good news.

1. I found New England Dragway, which is where this beast will lay the first smack down.
2. I found an 88 engine cradle, but it's rusty as hell.
3. I found this:

It's the O2 Sensor housing from a Saab 900 Turbo. Now I don't have to weld a bung.

And it fits PERFECT!!!!!!!!

I'm going back to NH tomorrow to pick up the cradle, which should be ready to pick up. The bolts were so rusted, we needed an Acetelene/Oxygen cutter.

Also going to get a second Saab 900 Turbo intercooler from the car I got the housing from, but I'm not sure of its condition. The first one was pressure checked up to 120psi. I'm thinking of doing a "Bryson" style intercooler setup, using two intercoolers, not just one like I had planned. My funding for this project has heavily increased, therefore the HP will increase as well.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

----------A BIG THANKS to Wuzzy. His help was priceless on Saturday. Him and his import racer buddy. We tore the crap out of the donor 88 car. A sad fate for an 88, but the cause is great. Wuzzy is da man!!!!!!!!----------------

Much luck to him and his 3.4L DOHC V6 project in his '88.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anywho, here's some pics of the engine mounts.

This is the Ecotec's lower mount. On Fiero 2.5L, the dogbone mount is on top. But with this, it's on the bottom.

This is the upper mount. On the left side of it, you can see a slight crack. This was from the accident that the donor Cavalier was it, but better that a disposable engine part was damaged than the block itself.

Also, an neat feature of the Ecotec, the oil filter. Just like the 88 2.5L Fiero's, the filter is inside of the block. The difference is that the Ecotec has a normal plug to drain the oil, and the Fiero has the oil plug/filter housing all in one. But the Ecotec's filter is removed from the top, so all the oil drains from the filter immediately.

Pretty neat!

That's it for now. My hope is to have the site for this project running again by friday. My "photoshop" program is running again, so now I can actually make web buttons and what not.

Later!

------------------

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 07-18-2004).]

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2004 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
BTW, you'll notice in that last picture, the torque converter's flexplate is still stuck on there. Damn thing won't come off. The torque converter itself was hard enough to get off. I've only worked with manuals, and was stumped for a whole day on how to remove the donor car's T/C. Finally I got smart and removed the starter motor, and voila! I could reach the T/C bolts.

Still need to get that flexplate off though. Hmm

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2004 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I can't wait to see how this all works out. I've resigned myself to making the 2.8 as fast as possible for cheap right now cause I can afford that. In a year or two (Wishful thinking) when I can afford an engine swap, I think I'll be wanting to talk to you, specially if you go all the way and make a kit. I was going to do a 305TPI, but that engines as old as my 2.8 and has probably as many miles. If I can get the same HP and Torque numbers out of a Super Charged EcoTech as a 20 year old V8, I'll be all over it. Waiting apprehensively to see how this project progresses!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock