Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero (Page 8)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero by fieroturbo
Started on: 01-17-2004 11:54 AM
Replies: 661
Last post by: fieroturbo on 07-18-2011 11:26 PM
renegade

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for renegadeSend a Private Message to renegadeDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to try this swap. I'll start my own thread once I get started. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
IP: Logged
Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

Lots of Nitrous will speed up the process of running it into the ground, LOL!

Well, the time schedule is this. Some BS stuff going on in the squadron, like uniform inspections, bi-anual Fitness test, hardcore room inspections (which are really getting on my nerves), and the pistons, rings, and new rod bearings won't be here till the end of the month, so my plan to get the bottom end of the motor assembled by oct 1st is a bit off schedule.

I'll have the cylinder head done sooner than I thought, so the motor could be assembled by the end of oct, in by december, and running by christmas. Tuning will take awhile, but my hope is to reach 500HP no later than Easter 2005. I can start kit prototypes this spring, but I deploy in June 2005, and don't get back till December that year, so expect kits to be sold no earlier than January 2006.

But then again, by then there will be way more Ecotec's to choose from, including the 2.4 Liter VVT motor, and the GM superchargers will be out and about, along with many more mods, including pre-wired aftermarket ECM harnessses, for like Tec-3 and Greddy, which will make my job easier

Any updates? How are you going to tune; stand alone ecu, fiero ecu, etc?

oddballracing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oddballracingClick Here to visit oddballracing's HomePageSend a Private Message to oddballracingDirect Link to This Post
fieroturbo: ROCK ON! is all I can say! Oh, and also, thank you x10 for breaking new ground here, researching and modifying/experimenting/prototyping this swap for all of us! I was planning on tackling this swap with my own 84SE but now that I see your doing it I think I'll watch and wait! I want to do a simple swap into this car (with auto tranny) so it can be a reliable daily driver once again! I'll buy a newer Fiero for the turbo Ecotec swap at a later date so I can school my buddy in his 2nd Gen turbo MR2! lol

------------------
Project Mazda TT (Turbo Truck)

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
updates??? did you abort the project?

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
FEAR NOT! The project is still alive and well!

My appologies for the lack of updates. Navy life is a busy life.

The latest events are as follows:

-the engine-to-tranny adapter has arrived (thanks to ceticars@aol.com)
-the 4.10 4-speed has arrived (yessss!!!)
-the bottom end engine internals are in Texas being balanced (forged rods and low comp. pistons, with the stock 2.2 crank(
-and the head is going to a machine shop next week to be machined (1mm larger valve seats,

Pics coming soon!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
is it done yet
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
How about now?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Patience my friends... the day of smoked rubber shall come!

Originally posted by cone shark:

Yes, I know it was done in the drag car,
Have you given any thought to doing this in the Fiero?

Yes, but the clearance between the front firewall and the intake manifold is going to be too tight to do it. Plus a dry sump system would be needed (to my knowledge) and I think that wouldn't be street legal (which goes against a major point to this project).

Originally posted by Primaris:

Any updates? How are you going to tune; stand alone ecu, fiero ecu, etc?

As far as tuning, this is where the Ecotec shines. Many have pulled some nice numbers just by using the Greddy E-manage, a piggyback ECM.

The Fiero ECM currently in my car is toast, part of the reason I'm swapping in the first place. This means that the gauges will have to be controlled by a separate system, which is TBD (I think MSD has some tach drivers and speedo converters, stuff meant for barebone projects).

The Ecotec ECM is actually in the engine bay on the main harness, and is quite small, so the spot where the Fiero ECM is will be a wiring junction, and nothing more. I have plans to put a subwoofer there, and the thumping would be no good for the ECM.

I will install the Greddy unit in the dashboard in the spot where the factory subwoofer is normally located. This will isolate it from interference from the ignition system (a past issue with my current Fiero ECM).

That's it for now. Got things to see and people to do......um, reverse that. LOL

-Mike

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
You may have already talked about this, but what kind of boost management are you going to use? Good to hear you're making progress still.

Nate

Kris Duck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kris DuckSend a Private Message to Kris DuckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

You may have already talked about this, but what kind of boost management are you going to use? Good to hear you're making progress still.

Nate

Originally posted by Fieroturbo:
I will install the Greddy unit in the dashboard...<SNIP>

Greddy E-Manage does timing, fuel and boost. If you get the Profec E-01, you can vew stuff on-the-fly too.
Just make sure you get all the different harnesses you'll need when you get the E-manage. When I first started selling them, I didn't get that you had to buy each harness seperately. (aside from main power) You'll need one for fuel, one for timing and one more for boost reference. I've got all the harnesses at work. If you're looking to buy an E-manage, let me know. I can see if I can compare in price.

Anyway, can't wait to see this done. More pics!

Cheers,

Kris

------------------

Little, Yellow, Different

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
For boost management, I'm going mechanical. The Turbo XS dual stage boost controller is sweet.
PFF
System Bot
renegade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for renegadeSend a Private Message to renegadeDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering what you will be using to control your tranny. I talked with a guy from powertrain control solutions and they have a pretty good setup for the 4T65-e. I think it ran like $700-$750.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by renegade:

....I was just wondering what you will be using to control your tranny....

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
its the evil red eyed skull shifter thing.... AHHHH everyone run from it.... dont stare into its eyes... you will turn to stone!!!!

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

renegade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for renegadeSend a Private Message to renegadeDirect Link to This Post
Ah, ok. I thought I read somewhere that he was using the 4T65-E. Maybe I will be the first to use it with the ecotec
Celticar, I will try and post those pics by tonight if somebody doesnt beat me to it.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to start off with the 5-speed Isuzu (MPG tests on the N/A motor), but after I cryotreat my 4.10 4-speed, I'm throwing that in.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
What tranny did they use in that drag car?

------------------

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
The Pontiac Sunfire one used a 4T65-E. The FWD Cavalier one used some custom 6-speed... not sure what. And the RWD one uses a Corvette tranny (that 6-speed GM has) I may be wrong on the RWD one, I'll double check it.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2005 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
My sincerest apollogies to you all for my lack of updates. My LPO is riding my butt at work.

The project is in full swing, and the car is off the road.
-----
The original fuel system is toast, so no turning back even if I wanted too (lol)

Fuel pump is dead, stock ECM is near dead, the stock fuel lines are crap, the fuel sender unit is crap, and that siphon thingy (whatever it's called) came off I think, and there's like 2 gallons that the fuel pump can't get to........

so, the fuel system is getting totally revamped as we speak. Just ordered some new lines and fittings from Jegs!
-----
I'm getting alot of runaround with the MLS headgasket I bought (lousy company reselling it) so I may go stock headgasket to start off (easy enough to change on this motor). I'm only starting on 7psi anyway, and stock headgasket can hold to 12psi.

Though I have a great 4.10:1 4-speed to throw in this baby, I'm using the stock 5-speed Isuzu until the motor hits 1000 miles.

Reason? Simple. Many people want to know the MPG that can be had out of this, so the 5-speed Isuzu with the motor at 7psi is the best choice for that.
-----
The schedule is this: I go to Italy in June, by which time the car WILL BE RUNNING!!! My pop is going to rack up the miles on the beast (about 1000), and when I get back from Italy in Dec/Jan, I'll get it to 15psi, throw in the 4-speed (which will be cryotreated by then), and I'll tune from there.

By Spring 2006, I hope to be in the 12's, and with a decent paint job might I add (it needs new paint so baddly).

Best wishes for the new year my friends!

-Mike

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
i dont know if this question has been asked before so here i go,

Now in europe they have Opel Ecotec is it the same as GM ecotec,,they say that GM is Opel and opel is GM...but the blocks and transmission wont bolt together,,,total different...

So did they put things together and made 1 style of block no matter where u live?

PFF
System Bot
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Opel actually came up with the Ecotec. GM does in fact own them, by the way...

There's an earlier version of the Ecotec (without the coil-on plug ignition), and a newer, more widespread version (with coil-on plug ignition). There's other things that are different between the two versions, but the ignition system is the easy way to tell.

If I'm not mistaken, the earlier version DID in fact have a different bolt pattern, but the major difference was that the cams were belt driven, not chain driven like the new motors.

All in all, the newer version is better in my opinion. It's easy to work on, and it's a strong motor.
----
Only thing is, it's hard to find good headgaskets for boost. And when you do find a good headgasket, it's from a company that is screwing you over (IE, my current problem at the moment with Exploited Racing).

TTFN, I'm at work, and my online time is limited.

------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Aircraft Electronics Technician Third Class
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

Only thing is, it's hard to find good headgaskets for boost. And when you do find a good headgasket, it's from a company that is screwing you over (IE, my current problem at the moment with Exploited Racing).

Exploited Racing, huh? Sounds like a suitable name.

Still following this, can't wait to see it run.

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
So what u r saying is that the NEW Opel Ecotec has the same bell housing as the GM version?
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump! What's the latest?

Has anyone done a successful Ecotec swap yet?

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
This is my plan. Found a 2003 complete cavalier set up with a 5 speed tranny. Use complete set up including factory gauge pod. Will have to mod shifter mechanism to work and play around with axle shafts to fit. I have a Nissan 240sx dash I plan on using in the car and luckily the Cavalier/Sunfire gauge pods are an almost perfect fit in that dash. Just have a couple more 3800SC swaps to finnish then I will start this one. Dan
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
has nothing happened in a MONTH?? (crowd chants) we want results, WE WANT RESULTS, we want results!

------------------
Carbed 4.5l and 125c, made to be? And Im only 17. think about when Im 30!!

flomofo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flomofoSend a Private Message to flomofoDirect Link to This Post
have to buump
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
fieroturbo: "Plus a dry sump system would be needed (to my knowledge) and I think that wouldn't be street legal (which goes against a major point to this project)."

The new z06 C6 has a dry sump and I bet its street legal(even though it belongs on the track, in front of coarse) thanks

p.s. BUMP!!

------------------
Carbed 4.5l and 125c, made to be? And Im only 17. think about when Im 30!!

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone!

First, my SINCERE thanks to you guys for bearing with me this far.

I'm sooo sorry I haven't updated this in awhile.

Great news, all parts are here and ready to go. Even the headgasket!!!

I'll have the motor complete before I deploy, so I can install it when I get back from the middle east/mediteranean.

Gotta go guys. I'm at work.

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump bumpity bump bump . . .
PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timwdegner:

Bump bumpity bump bump . . .

Fieroturbo's been deployed, methinks.

3.4project

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4projectSend a Private Message to 3.4projectDirect Link to This Post
damn i was laughing till i read more on this thread whod thought chevy cavalier would have a motor with such potential and i bout fell out my seat when and had to scrape my jaw ehn i realized u live 15 minutes from me so ya guess i love to see that beast in action
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Screw the military—come back and finish this!

Haha, have to keep it out of the archives. This is interesting stuff.

Oh, edit: I was going to ask, does anyone know when he'll be back?

[This message has been edited by timwdegner (edited 09-22-2005).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
IIRC, he said around December.
redwhiteandnew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redwhiteandnewSend a Private Message to redwhiteandnewDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Im very interested in seeing this project completed. Id like that Ecotec 2.2 in my Fiero. I have a 01 Vue and fell in love with that Ecotec the day we drove it off the lot. Since then I've often wondered if anyone's tempted an ecotec-powered Fiero.

Keep us posted.

Justin

------------------
1985 Fiero 2M4
redwhiteandnew.com

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
so what are we gonna do while we wait on him to get out? NICE WORK

------------------
Soon to be custom port fuel injected with Megasquirt! 4.5l and th-440 And Im only 18. think about when Im 30!!

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Its december. HOw about an update? thanks
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
I'm back from overseas, but my PC is busted, and I'll be busy with work related things until January 9th. Check in then.

------------------
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
WILL DO! thanks
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock