Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  88 Coupe 4.9 Swap Thread (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 Coupe 4.9 Swap Thread by josef644
Started on: 08-26-2009 06:29 PM
Replies: 681 (22116 views)
Last post by: Reallybig on 11-20-2015 08:28 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is supposed to get down to 21* here tonight, and 19* tomorrow night. I went outside and drained the coolant system, and added one & 2/3 gallons of green Prestone antifreeze. I have an air bubble in it a the temperature went right up to 259 and I have no heat. I will let it cool down and raise the rear up about a foot and go threw the burping again. I had a good working cooling system, and a working heater before today.
IP: Logged
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

It is supposed to get down to 21* here tonight, and 19* tomorrow night. I went outside and drained the coolant system, and added one & 2/3 gallons of green Prestone antifreeze. I have an air bubble in it a the temperature went right up to 259 and I have no heat. I will let it cool down and raise the rear up about a foot and go threw the burping again. I had a good working cooling system, and a working heater before today.

Hey Joe,

The weather is tough on these Fiero's. I drove the Chop Top around front this evening and when I got out and walked around it, it was "bleeding" green. I think the rad hose was so cold, it would not seal. I was able to put 4 full turns on the hose clamp! Supposed to be a record low of 8* here tomorrow night. 20 and snowing out there right now.

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
9am here and it is only 21* supposed to be back in the low 70's by the weekend.

I took a drop light and put it underneath the car yesterday afternoon. The temperature was 34 underneath the engine at 930pm. I am thinking everything will be OK in the freezing department.

Keep your poiwder dry, and warm.
-joe
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove about 50 miles here today. This is a real fun car to drive now. All is well, heater works fine from about 140* on the scanner. I estimate I am getting about 27 MPG. I got a SES light on the way back home. The car went out of closed loop and a Code 13. Sensor or circuit? After clearing the code, it came back after about 6 -7 minuets. While the code was clear, it went back into closed loop.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-07-2011).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That doesn't happen very often. Its warmer here in Oregon.

E13 = O2 sensor.

A loss of this signal will deffinately put back to open loop. Which one you running?
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't kow which one is in there. I never did mess with it. I just checked the wire connector yesterday. I am gonna order me a new Denso O2 sensor from Rock Auto and install it.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-08-2011).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I don't kow which one is in there. I never did mess with it. I just checked the wire connector yesterday. I am gonna order me a new Denso O2 sensor from Rock Auto and install it.

Nooooooooooooooo. Rockauto doesn't have any!! I order 2 from them recently. Both were Bosch sensors in Delco boxes. I then had them check their stock in the warehouse. The entire case they have are the same way. They are all Bosch sensors.

Order the Walker or Denso instead. They work just as well as a true delco but are better priced. Both are WAY better then the bosch you would end up getting.
BigGuyTinyCar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so you know, Autozone carries the Denso O2 sensor (part #234-2001) for $22.99 which is
only $2 more than RockAuto. Unless you're ordering other stuff to make the shipping
worth while, you'll probably be better off at Autozone (plus you'll get another $20 credit
toward your $20 gift card...assuming your in the Autozone frequent shopper program ).

[This message has been edited by BigGuyTinyCar (edited 02-09-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Nooooooooooooooo. Rockauto doesn't have any!! I order 2 from them recently. Both were Bosch sensors in Delco boxes. I then had them check their stock in the warehouse. The entire case they have are the same way. They are all Bosch sensors.

Order the Walker or Denso instead. They work just as well as a true delco but are better priced. Both are WAY better then the bosch you would end up getting.

I was gonna get the DENSO one from them. They sell it, and every other brand made I guess.
-joe
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops. Read that as Delco. Denso, Delco, whatever. Sorry Joe!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Oops. Read that as Delco. Denso, Delco, whatever. Sorry Joe!

Couldn't find a DENSO 234-2001 local, so I ordered one from RockAuto.com. It's on the way
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to Livingston in the Coupe this morning. About 15 miles each way. I had the scanner connected up while on the trip. The SES light came on two times. One time Ii was sorta glancing at the scanner when it lost the O2 sensor readings. They dropped down to nothing, then came back a few seconds later. I was not able to get in to 'Closed Loop' today. Engine temperature was up around 189- 195*F most of the trip. New O2 sensor will be here Monday.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the headlight module this morning. I had removed it a few months ago when I was having problems with my battery going dead. Took the O2 sensor connector apart, and re connected it. My Code 13 is gone now. I went into CLOSED LOOP at about 162 degrees. Short 10 mile trip this morning.

Found antifreeze dripping out of my heater core on some papers I had in the floor boards.

Heater core ordered.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-13-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just when you think you have it figured out, something else shows up. Keep after it Joe!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Just when you think you have it figured out, something else shows up. Keep after it Joe!

Never ending battle for 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-13-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 'Wonderful World' of "Fiero" today included a heater hose clamp letting loose and the loss of about 1 1/2 gallons of anti freeze on the rear of the engine and transmission. I must of seen it in my rear view mirror just as it came loose. Nothing was damaged except for my pocket book. I called a neighbor to come and get me about 3 miles from home. 30 minuets later I was back on the way home. Garage stinks now.

Heater core and O2 sensor are both here. Might get to install them tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-15-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my old heater core removed today. Ran ou tof time as I had other things I needed to get done before dark. I'll get the new one in tomorrorw. Installed a new inside door handle bezel for my power door lock button would be in the correct place.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went out this morning and finished installing the heater core. The one I got from RockAuto was a Spectra brand. Autozone also sells this brand for about two times the money. It is about 7/16" shorter then the one I removed. The hardest part was keeping it all the way back where the metal retaining strap went around the core's end without slipping off.

While finishing up I noticed this:

Always things to repair/replace when one owns a Fiero!!!
-joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-18-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Burped the cooling system this morning and installed the new O2 Denso sensor. Took a nice 20 mile trip around the area. Temperature is 78* F , and the coolant temperature stayed a bit higher at 197* , or in that area. I got up to 207* once an a short traffic stoppage coming back in my sub division. I turned on the AC, and the temperature dropped back to 197 pretty quickly.

I am thinking about starting to remove some of the body panels for refininhing.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow Joe! That door hinge looks pretty bad. If you can't find one locally, let me know. I have a few laying around in the shed. Yours for the shipping.

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow Joe! That door hinge looks pretty bad. If you can't find one locally, let me know. I have a few laying around in the shed. Yours for the shipping.

Pat

Pat, I need the upper passenger side. The closest to me is Mustangsbware, and he is about 200 miles away. I guess I could consider him local here in Texas. LOL I'll PM you my address, and give me your PayPal so I can tighten you up. This will not be to bad to switch out while I have the fenders and door skins off of the car for painting next month.

All the rest of the hinges were still in good shape. The door's half of this one is still in good shape. Go figure?
-joe

I am gonna do a oil and filter change in the morning before a nice trip to AutoZone for a new fan belt to keep in the car.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-19-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed the oil this morning. I used a 10W30 instead of the recommended 5W whatever. The oil pressure was still real low after the coolant temperature is up around 200 or so. I took it on a 100 mile trip since it was a beautiful Texas day. The oil light would come on at stop signs and traffic lights. It would bump around the far left side in 30mph in town traffic. When I got home I replace the 88 V6 type of oil sending unit with the 86 Duke style I had on it originally. The needle never gets in the red zone even when idling at 625 rpm and at normal temperature.

I will go to O'Reilly's tomorrow and get me an old fashion style gauge and see which one of the sending units is correct. If I have the real oil pressure as is displayed my the 88 sending unit I am gonna jerk this out f my care and find me a 2.5 with an automatic to get back on the road prertty quickly.

Ended up driving 140 miles around the home area today in my Coupe. This is about 300 miles in the past 10 days or so. This car is a blast to drive. The 88 handles so much better than my silver 86 Coupe.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the hinge ready to go Joe. It will need bushings and a new pin. Should be able to get them in the Help section. No mail tomorrow - I'll send it Tuesday AM.

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got me a Sun Pro gauge this morning. The old fashioned type. After a 15 mile drive to get up to normal coolant temperature I pulled over and stopped. I have 0 oil pressure at 600 rpm, driving at 30 mph I have 8-10 lbs of oil pressure. I have 18 lbs at 50 mph, and near 30 at 65 mph. This engine is DEAD. I am gonna be holding a big 4.9 parts swap SALE soon. This is at 600 rpm warm engine

showing the coolant temperature:

After spending some time thinking about this swap I have decided to cut my losses and remove this 4.9. I will install a T125 automatic and a 2.8. I will not put another dime in to this 4.9 swap. I will remove the 4.9 , it's 4T60E, and all of the necessary swap parts. I will put them up for sale in the Mall. I just want to get this over with and back to driving this great little car. This is one of the best handling little cars I have ever driven and I can not wait to get it back on the road.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-21-2011).]

BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang! What a sad ending to an awesome build thread. Sorry to hear about that Joe.
SERGE144

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SERGE144Send a Private Message to SERGE144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't give up! I admire your hard work! I'm in the midst of a 4.9 swap and I always heard about low oil pressure in these engines with no affect on the engine. My first 4.5 swap had low oil pressure but continued to run great.

I got this from a caddy forum -may be useful?

Originally Posted by buckknakid
Don't know if this will help, but here is something that I learned about my 91 deville. Maybe it will help you here.
When I test drove it, the owner stated that it just had an oil change. During the drive, I noticed that the oil pressure warning light would flicker, and be on steady when idleing. Since the car had 198k on it, this was very alarming. I would not buy it, and the owner said he would take it to the shop. He took it to a caddy dealership, and they said it had the wrong "brand" of oil filter, I think it was a Fram. They put a GM filter on (ACDelco) and everything was okay. I test drove again, everything was fine, so I bought it. It now has 204,500 miles and 2 oil changes since.
Just thought I would pass this along, and maybe you should check the oil filter, if it got changed at the oil change (as should always be the case).
Let us all know if this is the case.
I second this post. I frequent IH Scout Bulletin Boards (I've got several) and we've found the different brand oil filters really make a difference with oil pressure, flow, and lifter clatter on start-up (which isn't an issue with your caddy). Guys have gained as much as 15 psi with a simple filter change, and AC Delco seems to be the filter that gives the most results. NAPA Gold and WIX (same filter) and Purolator are good also. There are oil filter websites, and Fram filters and their 'captive' clones (I know Quaker State and Pennzoil, don't know about Valvoline brand) have some of the lowest filtering area and some of the highest resistance of all.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always use Wix or AC Delco filers. She is dead. I could hear the lifters singing at idle yesterday before I took it on its final drive. Thanks for the suggestions though.
-Joe
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I just about have the 4.9 ready to drop out of the body I have sold most of the things needed to swap in a 4.9.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I been here before!!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's next Joe? Maybe a 3.4? Sorry to hear your 4.9 treated you so badly!

P.S. Did that hinge show up?

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 03-01-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So what's next Joe? Maybe a 3.4? Sorry to hear your 4.9 treated you so badly!

P.S. Did that hinge show up?

I have sold almost everything I had obtained for the 4.9 swap. The wife wasn't to happy with the exhaust leval anyway. I am gonna put a 2.8 in there for now. Might switch to a 3.4 a little later on.

Hinge was in the mail today. Thanks for the speedy service !
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rear roof and upper rear fender section off of the body this morning. I am gonna get the painting done until I get a power plant and get it back in the car. I hate sanding body panels.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-08-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Color?
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Color?

Winter White. Base Coat - Clear Coat.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a 23K 1995 Firebird 3.4 in Houston for $425.00 today. Followed me home.

and

I will start working on installing a 3.4

THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THIS 4.9 SWAP.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-17-2011).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
immensly sorry to read about your trouble on this one Joe.

That seems like a good deal on a low mileage 3.4... especially if all the accesories are there.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
really really sad to see the 4.9 go with all the little detail you have done and items you put on it. not only that but the time you also put into it. i love your build post and started reading it when it was on page 3. keep the pics and info coming!
bigone4242

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigone4242Send a Private Message to bigone4242Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to be so sad, because it's actually not "going away". Well that specific 4.9 did, but I bought most all the swap parts and they will live on in a different Fiero with a different 4.9.
dj_bones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dj_bonesSend a Private Message to dj_bonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I bought my 86 2m4 last year. it is an automatic. I saved it from the scrap yard and it has been a long journey to get it on the road. It's a nice daily driver with 150K but I need some more go. I have just bought an even rougher 84 2m6 4 speed that can't be saved. My plans were to swap the 2m6 drive into my 2m4. I have been reading up on the web and the 4.9 swap has caught my eye. My question is what would be the better swap for my 2m4 auto? and is there a step by step someplace for the 4.9 swap into my 2m4. I'm mechanically inclined but the electrical is a bit intimidating. Planning on the grand am brake upgrade and power steering. I've already done a complete LED swap and customized light system but that's still pretty basic + - and relay system. never messed with an computer in a car and the gages.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock