Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32632 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! I got a ton of stuff done today on this project. I got my wiring harness on, but not fully connected yet. I got the firewall coolant tube installed, as well as the A/C lines. I made and installed a EGR port block-off for the upper intake plenum, Welded the cold injector line nut shut, filling the hole. Started modifying the shift lever and cable bracket for the 4T60. I also finally solved my passenger axle issue my lightly filing the splines, the wheel bearing fit like a glove after that. Hopefully I will get my exhaust headers sometime soon, so i can start finally finishing this sucker up!
Sorry about the poor pictures, my camera didn't like me today I guess.

Woo, I own page 7!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-23-2010).]

IP: Logged
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been loosely following this and haven't read everything but are you still going with the turbo? Just wondering because I saw you went with the trueleo headers. If your going with the turbo still hows the progress on the manifold?

------------------

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

I've been loosely following this and haven't read everything but are you still going with the turbo? Just wondering because I saw you went with the trueleo headers. If your going with the turbo still hows the progress on the manifold?

No, sorry, I dropped the Turbo idea a while ago. Too much cost and too complex at this point in time. Just want to get it running first.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-23-2010).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great Mattwa! You deserve a pat on the back for coming this far. I may have passed it up, but when is the projected start up date? Ohh, the anticipation!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Looking great Mattwa! You deserve a pat on the back for coming this far. I may have passed it up, but when is the projected start up date? Ohh, the anticipation!

I never set a date, but I was hoping on or before April 1st. But if not, not the biggest deal in the world, I don't want to rush anything.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-24-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I never set a date, but I was hoping on or before April 1st. But if not, not the biggest deal in the world, I don't want to rush anything.

BS! Rush that puppy so I can hear it run! Updates?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a few things done today. I drilled out the one bellhousing hole to 1/2 so a bolt would go through into the transmission (a 3.4 swap requirement), modified and re-adjusted the engine to trans bracket, and i got a section of exhaust pipe in from the mail from Andy. Thanks Andy! I also FINALLY bought the correct size injectors from eBay (19lb injectors from a V8 mustang..$30), I can get a lot done after they get here. Plus, my headers and almost complete and will be shipping hopefully soon.
Now, on to my next problem. I need a welder to weld my exhaust together, and I do not want to pay a muffler shop to do it. My school has a awesome MIG welder in metalworking but I really can't just bring in my whole exhaust and weld it together, that would be a no-no. What to do.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-04-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big update today.
Today, I un-covered my Fiero for the first time since December. There was still a bunch of "snow ice" around it that I couldn't shovel that made it very hard to work on but I got a few things done. I removed my front rotors to get them turned into rotors, and replaced my brake dust shields with better ones I got from the Fiero Factory. Unfortunately, later in the future my front suspension needs a tear down and rebuild also, as it has a bunch of surface rust and the rubber looks bad. But for right now, I'm upgrading the brakes with vented rotors and stainless steel braided brake lines. I still have a lot to do on the actual car itself, so please excuse the mess inside the car.

Fast forward to this evening, I installed my 19lb injectors from a 2003 Mustang GT onto my fuel rail and installed it on my middle intake. Then, I connected my fuel lines, and bolted the top intake on and connected everything that I could up. I also cut up and welded back together the shift lever, so that's done too. So, except for the exhaust and a some little tiny stuff, my engine is pretty much complete.

I'm getting excited. It's getting really close to going in and starting up. and then actually driving it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I did mostly wiring on the car, I wired most of the new digital cruise control and finished the wiring for my auto-dimming mirror. Still need to shim it though, as it flops around on the windshield.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! Guess what came in the mail today?

I didn't have the exhaust gasket's and Autozone had to order them from a Hub store, so since I had to wait till i can get them tomorrow, I just put one 2 of the bolts per side. These are VERY nice. It even comes with Allen headed exhaust bolts! Also tomorrow, I will be taking my whole exhaust to school and welding it all together. Its super close to going in now! I'd say most likely not this weekend but next weekend I'll drop the engine back in.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I envy your exaust. You are going to have to post a video of it on startup.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a lot done today on the actual car itself since it was 72F and sunny outside. Replaced the antenna base that I broke earlier, put the fender back on, and cut the hole for the Archie battery tray I bought. At school today, I welded pretty much my whole exhaust, but I didn't finish it, so I'll finish it and take it home tomorrow. Sent out the chip to get reprogrammed by Ryan of Sinister Performance today, also. I think I might be able to put the engine in my car not this weekend, but the following weekend. I didn't say run just yet, but in the car. I still have a few things I need to do before then.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished welding the exhaust today and after school I put it under the engine cradle, doesn't look right atm because the cradle being on the pallet messes it up. I also received my Universal custom length spark plug wires from Summit racing today, and they are blue. Anyone notice a color theme going on here?

EDIT: 1500th post WOO!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-13-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone notice a color theme going on here?

Ford Blue? LOL.

Seriously, Matt. This install is so clean and meticulous, I can't wait to see it in the car. You are almost there!!!!
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mattwa: Just a little suggestion here but I had the same exhaust on my 85gt. Or at least from the hooker tips to the short piece before the Y. You will feel a considerable amount of lost power from the small pipe between the muffler you have and the Y. I would change it to at least a 2.25", 2.5" is about right. Just for curiousity you can drive it with and without piping from the muffler to come to your own conclusion. I tried this and went from a 15.7 to a 14.9. I also done a back pressure test both ways and got 5.8 lbs of back pressure with and less than 1 with out. I presently have 3" because I was wanting to run nitrouis, haven't got around to that yet. Also I wish I would have used a duke torque convertor or a little higher. Your build does look pretty nice.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Ford Blue? LOL.

Seriously, Matt. This install is so clean and meticulous, I can't wait to see it in the car. You are almost there!!!!

It's not Ford Blue. I know your joking but I can just hear people in the future.."Why did you paint it Ford Blue?" or the even more obvious question, "Why did you paint it blue/silver in a GOLD car?" Because a Gold engine would be ugly that's why.

Originally posted by Lilchief:

mattwa: Just a little suggestion here but I had the same exhaust on my 85gt. Or at least from the hooker tips to the short piece before the Y. You will feel a considerable amount of lost power from the small pipe between the muffler you have and the Y. I would change it to at least a 2.25", 2.5" is about right. Just for curiousity you can drive it with and without piping from the muffler to come to your own conclusion. I tried this and went from a 15.7 to a 14.9. I also done a back pressure test both ways and got 5.8 lbs of back pressure with and less than 1 with out. I presently have 3" because I was wanting to run nitrouis, haven't got around to that yet. Also I wish I would have used a duke torque convertor or a little higher. Your build does look pretty nice.

Too late now, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll see how it is in the future. But maybe it won't be that bad for me since I have headers.
Blue87Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87FieroSend a Private Message to Blue87FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks real good I agree a gold engine would be ugly. Just paint the car blue and the problems solved.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blue87Fiero:

looks real good I agree a gold engine would be ugly. Just paint the car blue and the problems solved.

Well I like the Gold on the outside, and even if I changed the color to blue, it would look ugly with a tan interior, so I would have to change the interior color to black or something. See where I'm getting at?

BTW: This thread will continue on even after its running and driving. Still have many things planned for it in the future.
Blue87Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87FieroSend a Private Message to Blue87FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black and blue interior would be sweet mines red and black. Its real easy to do but your money is tied up in the trunk right now.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Black and blue interior would be sweet mines red and black. Its real easy to do but your money is tied up in the trunk right now.

Yea, real easy to do with $$$. Which I don't have. I'm don't think I want to do that with this Fiero, I'll do that with my next Fiero.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I did some small things today on my engine today, flipped the brake shields around since i installed them backwards the first time, tightened the rest of my headers (had to make a tool to tighten the Allen bolts, had very little room in some spots. Didn't work on my fiero today as the weather was bad, but sometime this week i plan to go to pull-a-part to get some things for my swap. I also found out today I messed up on my muffler pipe piece, so I have to cut it and re-weld it, needs to be flipped 90 degrees.
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's not Ford Blue. I know your joking but I can just hear people in the future.."Why did you paint it Ford Blue?" or the even more obvious question, "Why did you paint it blue/silver in a GOLD car?" Because a Gold engine would be ugly that's why.

Of course I was joking! My intake and valve covers will be getting painted blue as well, because my car is getting painted blue.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! Got lots O stuff done in the past few days, so now its too the point where all I need is a oil dip-stick (lost mine..got one in the mail heading my way) and to re-weld my exhaust piece (because it wouldn't work the way I had it) and it will be ready to go into the car! I'm shooting for Saturday! or maybe even sometime this week.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here is a before and after of my progress so far. June 11,2009 to March 15, 2010

And if you followed along, not much is left from what I took out.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-15-2010).]

Blue87Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87FieroSend a Private Message to Blue87FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks real pretty you better paint the engine bay to it will look real dirty next to that clean engine.

edit: Now that I typed this I think you did paint with por-15 but im not gonna go back and read to find out I guess it looked dirty in the pic at the top of the page. But anyway looks real good. Once it starts you better go find a turbo for it

[This message has been edited by Blue87Fiero (edited 03-15-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks real pretty you better paint the engine bay to it will look real dirty next to that clean engine.

edit: Now that I typed this I think you did paint with por-15 but im not gonna go back and read to find out I guess it looked dirty in the pic at the top of the page. But anyway looks real good. Once it starts you better go find a turbo for it

Yes I did.

And no. I have a Turbo, and I'm selling it. If I want to go forced induction in the future, It will be with a supercharger.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't get a chance to weld my exhaust today, forgot to bring it with me too school. But, I did work on some wiring on the car. I decided to go ahead with installing a FM modulator we had sitting around, and I'm hiding it under the carpet. Where the old cruise control box used to be, to be exact. The power switch and input jack will be mounted next to the cig. lighter on that black plastic piece.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Color me jealous, Matt. Your work speaks for itself.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
IT IS IN!!!!!
( please excuse how it looks here. Had lots of fun getting it in. )

Yea, I know it's messy but i haven't connected much yet.
Exhaust tips are not correct right now, driver side has too much angle.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-17-2010).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome Matt!!!
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt, all I can say is congratulations. If it runs half as good as it looks, you are in for a treat. Great work my friend, great work.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad bro. But Tstang brought this up to me. A blue engine in a gold car...... Shame on you
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Matt, all I can say is congratulations. If it runs half as good as it looks, you are in for a treat. Great work my friend, great work.

I'm honestly really anxious about that. I really hope it starts and runs. Or else I'll have a nice, pretty, and expensive paper weight.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Not bad bro. But Tstang brought this up to me. A blue engine in a gold car...... Shame on you

Yea yea I know. Get used to it for now, as I ain't changing the color of my Fiero as of right now.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm honestly really anxious about that. I really hope it starts and runs. Or else I'll have a nice, pretty, and expensive paper weight.

Don't sweat it. You were very meticulous with your build. Have faith in your abilities young one.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't sweat it. You were very meticulous with your build. Have faith in your abilities young one.

Thanks. I'm happy I have gotten this far, but I still have a lot of work ahead of me to finish this up. Putting everything back together after 10 months is fun.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks real good man. maybe one day we can cruise together.
Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump from a very proud dad.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ridgelandbaseball:

Bump from a very proud dad.

Rightfully so... Great work!

By the way blue paint with tan interior is not ugly...
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am with Carbon on this one. The blue paint is awesome. I like the contrast.

You still need to start her up, but the progress that you have achieved is practically unheard of in a man as young as you. You are a respected member here, and the way that you carry yourself among your piers (sp) is surely something that you have learned from your family. Can't wait for the first startup!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock