Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32625 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently wondering to myself... Why haven't I looked at this thread yet? Good stuff.

[edit... good timing - page ownage]

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 12-11-2009).]

IP: Logged
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the lower intake, timing chain, water pump, Balancer, and crank pulley on today, and i put the 36lb/h injectors on my fuel rail also. Sorry, no pics.

It just hit me recently how much I miss my car. It hasn't moved in 6 months.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-17-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some stuff done today, put on the engine on cradle with tranny. Tried to mate them correctly but it didn't work as well as plan
----->//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078875.html

I need to move the tranny left like an inch and it would be perfect. The engine is in the correct spot. Still need to paint the engine though, no biggie. But I gotta get that aligned right first.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-23-2009).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still damn good work. We're cheering you on!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Got some stuff done today, put on the engine on cradle with tranny. Tried to mate them correctly but it didn't work as well as plan
----->//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078875.html

I need to move the tranny left like an inch and it would be perfect. The engine is in the correct spot. Still need to paint the engine though, no biggie. But I gotta get that aligned right first.

STOP BREAKIN STUFF lol j/k dude. hope you fix it.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
STOP BREAKIN STUFF lol j/k dude. hope you fix it.

Look whose talking! Didn't you break the starter on tyler's car?
But yea I feel like a total idiot about that.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look whose talking! Didn't you break the starter on tyler's car?
But yea I feel like a total idiot about that.

Nope me and DIY-Stu fixed it.
I was just there so they blamed me for it.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-24-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got myself another 4T60 from pull-a-part. Got it from a 1991 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1 with 170k miles. Totally wore me out, took 2 days. Not as clean as my broken one but then again, its not broken.

compared to my clean but broken one.

Going to gut the dirty one and clean it up and paint it, then gut the broken one and move all of the parts to the non-broken one. Then, ta-da, a brand new non-broken 4T60.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Going to gut the dirty one and clean it up and paint it, then gut the broken one and move all of the parts to the non-broken one. Then, ta-da, a brand new non-broken 4T60.

I don't know why you are going through all the trouble when that "broken trans" can be easily fixed
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I don't know why you are going through all the trouble when that "broken trans" can be easily fixed

I was told by a professional transmission rebuilder with 14 years of experience (also the person who helped me build that very transmission) that it really can't be fixed to the point where its just like it wasn't broken. I mean, you mostly likely could, but the chance of it being wrong and then the transmission being off-center to the engine is greater. That will cause damage to either the main bearings, or the transmission oil pump or the input shaft seals. Since i spent nearly 2 grand on my engine, (and that's a lot for someone of my age) it ain't worth it too me. I'd rather step up and do the right thing, can't cut corners here and kick myself later.

As much as I don't like going through all this trouble, I learned my lesson, and its the right thing to do.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-19-2010).]

IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow sorry for the loss, if it makes you feel any better im in for a new trans to! so lame
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh and here is a picture of me removing the engine/transmission from the car itself. Yes I know that looks dangerous, I didn't get hurt.
If you notice, i tried the previous day to remove the transmission by myself, and i failed. That is the side of the transmission sticking up.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-19-2010).]

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm going to go a similar direction as you minus turbo. I'd like to build a mild 3.4PR for around 200 ponies on the ground and mate it to a 4T60. I think that would be fun daily driving and good gas mileage. In any case.. If you've got time to be posting on a forum, you've got time to work on the car! I don't care if it's night! I'll ship PK over there to break stuff if you don't.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I think I'm going to go a similar direction as you minus turbo. I'd like to build a mild 3.4PR for around 200 ponies on the ground and mate it to a 4T60. I think that would be fun daily driving and good gas mileage. In any case.. If you've got time to be posting on a forum, you've got time to work on the car! I don't care if it's night! I'll ship PK over there to break stuff if you don't.

I can't do as much because of the weather outside. Next weekend i'll be swapping the parts in the transmissions though and then i can get the ball rolling some more.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Got the trans guts moved to the good case, and mounted correctly on the cradle (had to redrill the rear mount though). Then I put the control arm assembles on and popped in the axles to see if the trans was sitting right or not. Looked pretty good. Only one problem. The axles look to be the right ones, but my new wheel bearing hubs don't fit into the passenger side axles' splines. The driver's side is fine, no issues there. The splines look to be the same number. What could the problem be?
Anyway, hopefully I'm be putting the engine on the cradle tommorow, then i can start building it up and get this project going! Only issue is the cold weather outside.
Also, I want to put a piece of wood under the control arms, I don't like the way they are sitting. Don't want to harm the axles.

And the empty bad case, going in for scrap.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As much as I don't like going through all this trouble, I learned my lesson, and its the right thing to do.

Way to go man! I'm really impressed with the way you sucked it up and made the hard decision. I also can't believe that you did all of this in the middle of this horrible winter! I have barely made it out to my garage the past month and a half.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Way to go man! I'm really impressed with the way you sucked it up and made the hard decision. I also can't believe that you did all of this in the middle of this horrible winter! I have barely made it out to my garage the past month and a half.

I gotta do what I gotta do. I really miss my car, its been without an engine since June of last year. So my goal currently is at the latest April 1st, all back together and running good.
pocket dude 411

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pocket dude 411Send a Private Message to pocket dude 411Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damnn... havent been on here in awhile but im glad to see your moving along with the project!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SUCCESS! Finally (with the help of a Fiero friend) I correctly got the engine mated with the transmission. This time without breaking the transmission. Now I can finally start putting all the pieces together.
Next lesson that I learned the hard way. Put the bolts back in the holes if you can. I can't find several bolts.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. I got a few things in the mail within the past few days. Archie's battery box, a antenna base from Hulki (thanks! ), and I got my Magnaflow muffler today. It's going to sound so mean!
Yesterday, I attached the A/C compressor, starter, Oil pressure sender, and a few other things. Since one of the bosses is missing for the lower A/C bracket, I tapped the hole on that little strut piece and I'm going to bolt it on that way.
I did find out I have a sight problem. I have Rodney Dickman's belt tensioner and it looks great, but the belt he provided with his kit is too long! Maybe it has something to do with the 88 alternator I bought?

Edit: Yes, I know it looks kinda crappy in the pictures, I'm going to paint things later.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-02-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I just painted most of what i could and installed my good valve covers! Pictures will tell the story.

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turns out Rodney Dickman sent me the wrong belt when I ordered the 2.8 Idler pulley a while ago. So he sent a me another belt free of charge. Thank you Rodney. It fits perfect now.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got more things done with my engine, (since there is a foot of snow on top of my Fiero currently), including the thermostat housing, correct gaskets for the valve covers, middle intake, a few other small things. The top intake piece is there right now just to keep dust out and for a picture.

Bradley Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good lookin' engine.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good!

------------------

88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's really looking good!
I like the blue intake and valve covers. Makes me almost want to refinish mine like that.
You're doing nice clean job on this mattwa, keep up the nice work.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Ordered a set of Truelo Headers with the Y-pipe today. Can't wait to get them, Then i can start building my exhaust, which is pretty much my next step. It will pretty much be: the Truelo Headers and Y-pipe, down to a Magnaflow muffler, then straight out to Hooker Resonator Tips. Its going to sound MEAN!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-16-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Just wanted to give an update on the actual Fiero itself since I have been focusing on the power train for so long on this thread. Well...here it is.

I call it "free body mods"

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-16-2010).]

NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Matt! I think the blue sets it off nicely! Great work BTW did you ever get your antenna fixed?
Korey
FFIEROFRED

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you put it back in to the car, keep a eye on the top of the trans filler pipe. I had to bend mine away from the back heat shield to get it to clear as the drive line went in. It's not easy to see when you are doing it. You will love the overdrive. If you had used the 4t60 with the 2.84 gear you would have to stop every 200 miles to take gas OUT of the car it would get that good a gas mileage. I got 35 mpg @ 70 with a 3.8 and the 2.84. With a change to the 3.33 gears in the same car/engine I got a 27 mpg. But it was a world of diffents in how it got to 70!
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I call dibs on the first ride in your car when it's finished, Matt. Any chance you might make it to MN for the Tyler memorial car show July 24th?
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

Looks great Matt! I think the blue sets it off nicely! Great work BTW did you ever get your antenna fixed?
Korey

Yea a forum member sent me a non-stripper antenna base. Going to install it when weather is good.

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

When you put it back in to the car, keep a eye on the top of the trans filler pipe. I had to bend mine away from the back heat shield to get it to clear as the drive line went in. It's not easy to see when you are doing it. You will love the overdrive. If you had used the 4t60 with the 2.84 gear you would have to stop every 200 miles to take gas OUT of the car it would get that good a gas mileage. I got 35 mpg @ 70 with a 3.8 and the 2.84. With a change to the 3.33 gears in the same car/engine I got a 27 mpg. But it was a world of diffents in how it got to 70!

I have read horror story's about that, so I'm leaving it off until the cradle is in the car. As for the Final drive ratio, I went with the middle, 3.06, so I will have both good acceleration and good fuel economy.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

I call dibs on the first ride in your car when it's finished, Matt. Any chance you might make it to MN for the Tyler memorial car show July 24th?

Ok Andy. And the date was changed from Labor day weekend to July 24th. I will try my best to be there, but will YOU be there?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok Andy. And the date was changed from Labor day weekend to July 24th. I will try my best to be there, but will YOU be there?

Even if I have to sell testicles and kidneys to pay for the trip, I will be there.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if I have to sell testicles and kidneys to pay for the trip, I will be there.

Great, I will plan to be there then, with my Fiero. Hopefully it will make the 950 mile trip.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-17-2010).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mat, read through your entire thread. Freaking wow! You are driven!!! I would truely be honored for you to help me with my car. I said before you got mad skills with the wrench but now I see you are gifted. At the age of 17 you have more knowledge than most that have worked on cars for many years! Great work homie!!!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Mat, read through your entire thread. Freaking wow! You are driven!!! I would truely be honored for you to help me with my car. I said before you got mad skills with the wrench but now I see you are gifted. At the age of 17 you have more knowledge than most that have worked on cars for many years! Great work homie!!!

Wow, thanks for the complements. I just try my best at what I enjoy doing.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice work......
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HA!! I get the first ride! Distance is your enemy. Matt lives just a few miles from me.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock