Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32631 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
Ditkaphile

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first time owning a page...woo hoo!

Great job on the cradle drop. I did my first (and only) cradle drop a couple years ago, and at the time I had never even done a tune-up on a car. Got it done with no service manual (thanks to this forum) all by myself...but it took me two WEEKS, not two days! Great job and good luck with the rest of your project!

------------------
Ninety percent of the population thinks you'd have to be crazy to own a Fiero. I'm in the other ten percent!

[This message has been edited by Ditkaphile (edited 08-31-2009).]

IP: Logged
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about this?

And my wiring harness is almost done.

Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way to go mattwa. Soon your Fiero will be as nice as mine.

By the way to all of you on the forum. Mattwa is taking up our driveway, a lot of the garage and most all of our basement for this project. Where will it end. Oh well, he really is doing a terrific job with this whole build.
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nvm

[This message has been edited by mtownfiero (edited 09-01-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ridgelandbaseball:

Soon your Fiero will be as nice as mine.

Right, sure it will. At least my paint is still there.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

You are doing a great job here. There's no replacement for paying attention to details. I keep a close eye on this thread. Good job man!

Andy
BazookaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is looking great! I'm very impressed with the amount of work you have put into the car. Hopefully in the end you will have one smoooooth runner I know how you feel about money being tight, my rebuild was not cheap either... but it sure is nice to see some good hard work being put in kudos to you

So are you planning on painting the car a shade of blue as well to match the engine?

------------------
BAZOOKAFIERO's Junk

"Shoot him, cut out his tongue, and then shoot his tongue!"

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, car is staying Gold.

Well, honestly I'm having 2nd thoughts on all this. Yes, when I'm done, I'll have an almost brand new engine and transmission, and it will look amazing, with some mods like the 7730 Swap. That's great, except for performance addicts like me. With all the money I have spent (and still need to spend), I could have easily bought a 4.9 with it's 4T60E, cleaned it up, Paint it, thrown it in, and called it a day. More power, same or less amount of money. I could add a turbo to this 3.4, but that would add another $1000-$1500 to the total cost on this project, which by then I could do a nice 3800SC swap! If I try to sell what I have, I'll take in a major loss.

I just don't know what I do. I want to add a turbo, but that just makes a complex job even more complex. Like I would want to use my 7730 computer I have but what code mask should i use? The Turbo 3.1 one? Plus as you saw I can't weld very well.

Or I could do nothing and do what I planned to do. But I wouldn't want to put it in then change my mind later.

I'm still going to finish the project no matter what happens, so don't worry about that. It's way too late to turn around, I most likely will use the 3.4 one way or another, I'm just kinda ranting. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-01-2009).]

BazookaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

No, car is staying Gold.

Well, honestly I'm having 2nd thoughts on all this. Yes, when I'm done, I'll have an almost brand new engine and transmission, and it will look amazing, with some mods like the 7730 Swap. That's great, except for performance addicts like me. With all the money I have spent (and still need to spend), I could have easily bought a 4.9 with it's 4T60E, cleaned it up, Paint it, thrown it in, and called it a day. More power, same or less amount of money. I could add a turbo to this 3.4, but that would add another $1000-$1500 to the total cost on this project, which by then I could do a nice 3800SC swap! If I try to sell what I have, I'll take in a major loss.

I just don't know what I do. I want to add a turbo, but that just makes a complex job even more complex. Like I would want to use my 7730 computer I have but what code mask should i use? The Turbo 3.1 one? Plus as you saw I can't weld very well.

Or I could do nothing and do what I planned to do. But I wouldn't want to put it in then change my mind later.

I'm still going to finish the project no matter what happens, so don't worry about that. It's way too late to turn around, I most likely will use the 3.4 one way or another, I'm just kinda ranting. Sorry.

Sorry to hear you are having frustrations. You are young, and you got a lot of time ahead of you. I would LIKE to say that there will be many opportunities for other Fieros, but unfortunately as the years go by, more Fieros go to car heaven, and I am sure 10 years from now they will be harder to find.

If I were you, I would finish this project and make her into a decent daily driver. Get her patched up and good for the road, then you need to decide is funds. You can start saving now, and in a couple years or so have enough money to do a better swap, or you can buy a whole 'nother Fiero all together, whatever suits your fancy. I dunno what kind of budget you are going with on this project, but only focus on what you can afford now.

I know how you feel, when I took out the engines for both of my Fieros, I had the urge, because I knew that I could do sooo much more. I wanted so bad to do a swap, or at least upgrade everything, but I had no cash. I had to force myself to say no.

Hope it all works out for you

Dave
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-12-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-16-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about that turbo much. But I do know that a super 60 series turbo from a 2.3L Mustang will work with the V-6 Fiero.
Dennis La Grua (who is on the forum) has a website on how to do a turbo install, on the cheap. http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/project.htm
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update status: waiting for money.

My dad did purchase a Turbo from E-bay. It was a turbo from a early/mid 80's Mustang, SVO, or Turbo Coupe.
RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be the one!
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...Should have gone larger, imo.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

...Should have gone larger, imo.

Yes, But I think its worth it for $150. (including shipping from CA)

BTW, Thank you Cliff for changing the name of my thread for me!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-13-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2009 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We require pics of this new turbo.

Tony
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

We require pics of this new turbo.

Tony

As soon as I get it, I will. It's going to be maybe another 4-5 days.

mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your still wanting more power and not wanting to get into the turbo yet why not a top swap? Swap to the 3100 or 3400 heads and youll have about 185hp over 200ftlb tq. Just a thought
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

If your still wanting more power and not wanting to get into the turbo yet why not a top swap? Swap to the 3100 or 3400 heads and youll have about 185hp over 200ftlb tq. Just a thought

Too late, already got my Turbo, and I have my wiring harness done. Plus there is more "Wow!" to a Turbo then a 3100 top end swap, and its more fun to mess with (and break things! ).

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update for the day!
Finished POR-15ing the rear of the car. Lesson learned-DO NOT get any on your skin. Doesn't come off.

Needed to fix the Window motor on my dad's Fiero so I took off the outer door panel, it needed some other work anyway.

I also took my fender off because when my project first started, and I needed to keep a cover on it. I snapped the Antenna base off trying to remove the antenna. Rusty. so i need to replace that.

Also I removed my front bumper because 1.I want to try and fix it (doubt it..it's been hit 3 times now) 2.the energy cushion stuff was totally loose and just fell out. 3. POR-15 the rusty frame up there and 4. add fog lights (maybe).

Thats about it for today!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-14-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a word of warning! That blue wire loom you are using is NOT the High Temp used by the manufacturer. That stuff will melt very easily and make a mess of your wiring. Please be careful were you run it no ware near any heat source.

Looking Good Keep it Up

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

Just a word of warning! That blue wire loom you are using is NOT the High Temp used by the manufacturer. That stuff will melt very easily and make a mess of your wiring. Please be careful were you run it no ware near any heat source.

Looking Good Keep it Up

Joe Sokol

The manufacturer of my Blue Wire Loom said it was rated to about 250F.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mattwa: I had the same exhaust system as you. I did some testing on it and found almost 6 lbs of back pressure. During this time I also ran a few 1/4 mile runs at the local track and managed a 15.7 with a T125/3.06. I later removed the entire exhaust system, enlarged the down pipe and stopped it just past the cat location (no cat). Back pressure dropped to less the 1 lb and the best ET was 14.9, 60' times 1.92. My 4t60 I really like but the torque convertor is entirely too tight best ET 15.1, 60' times 2.1. This was with full 3" exhaust. 2.5 is about the right size. I was planning on running nitrous so I ran 3". MPG is about 30 hwy using a 3.42 gear. Using the newer ECM should really make it a nice running ride.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30 MPG with 3.42?? Wow, I can't wait to see what my 3.06 will do. But the Turbo might decrease that a bit.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Today I POR-15'ed the Front frame, looks a lot better now! I also remounted my "Ah OOO Gah" Horn because I didn't like it where it was. By the way, it was Hilarious seeing peoples faces when i set it off while driving by.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-15-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess what came in the mail today?

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New hairdryer?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

New hairdryer?

Bit Heavy for a hairdryer.

It does not seem to have much play side to side or up and down. But I thought these turbo's came with internal wastegates?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have a question. How do I connect the exhaust the the exhaust outlet? It's just round..no bolt holes or anything! Same with the intake, do i use clamps or what?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uhh. The exhaust you use the proper V-band flange and for the intake side you use a silicone coupler.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do have a question. How do I connect the exhaust the the exhaust outlet? It's just round..no bolt holes or anything! Same with the intake, do i use clamps or what?

Its called a turbo band. Bolts just wont work on them. its a strap that sits onto that lip on the opening and there will be another lip on the exaust tube. I dont know where you can get them. i would sugest from the turbos manufacture.

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or you can search for V-band like I posted before ponti and you will find they are widely available.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet thanks, I didn't know what i had to use. Now I know! That i need to spend even more money which I don't have!
James_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a really cool swap Matt. That's the exact one I'd do if I had access to the parts, but being in Australia means that I'd have to import those parts which would be too costly.

A 3.4 Pushrod Turbo w/4T60
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool shot at this, it will go well, dont give up.

As for your programming. Honestly get ahold of darth. he is very reasonable on price and there is a good chance if you give him the right info that your first chip from him will run very well.

The way you are going is correct, and the best t hing you can do is to practice welding a LOT. get some garbage exaust or Y pipe and try and weld an hour a day and by the time you need to make your Y pipe for the turbo you will be welding very well.

I do recommend getting the engine in without turbo first and then getting it tuned and running right. THEN do the turbo project. It's not hard with the engine in the car. It sucks chasing gremlins only to discover you have a basic problem you missed with the base engine.

------------------

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

Cool shot at this, it will go well, dont give up.

As for your programming. Honestly get ahold of darth. he is very reasonable on price and there is a good chance if you give him the right info that your first chip from him will run very well.

The way you are going is correct, and the best t hing you can do is to practice welding a LOT. get some garbage exaust or Y pipe and try and weld an hour a day and by the time you need to make your Y pipe for the turbo you will be welding very well.

I do recommend getting the engine in without turbo first and then getting it tuned and running right. THEN do the turbo project. It's not hard with the engine in the car. It sucks chasing gremlins only to discover you have a basic problem you missed with the base engine.

Yes, i plan on contacting Darth with I'm at that step.

I don't think I want to do that, because I'll be using the 3.1 turbo code and I don't think the computer will be happy with-out boost being there. And I'm half set up to put the turbo in with the engine anyways.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by James_GT:

That's a really cool swap Matt. That's the exact one I'd do if I had access to the parts, but being in Australia means that I'd have to import those parts which would be too costly.

A 3.4 Pushrod Turbo w/4T60

I do have to admit I'm kinda copying sardonyx247's Turbo 3.4, with the blue/sliver theme. Except I'll have my 4T60 and he has his 5-speed.
I'm just happy I won't ever have to deal with dizzy's again! It gave me a lot of trouble with timing on my 2.8. I don't like them.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a leather auto shift knob in a trade! Compared to my old Plastic one, it makes a big difference. mmeyer86gt/gtp does great leather work re-wraping these, it looks amazing! Thanks again mmeyer86gt/gtp!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-25-2009).]

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:
Couldnt have been that dirty, them duds still look pretty white !!!

Good Job, What are your plans ?

Duds? What are duds?

"Duds" = "clothes."

Well, honestly I'm having 2nd thoughts on all this....

I just don't know what I do. I want to add a turbo, but that just makes a complex job even more complex.

I have since thought about what I could do, and I have decided that I will add a turbo onto my 3.4.

Cool. I hope you're successful with that, and document it with even more pics!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock