Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32633 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is it going to read the collant temp though?
IP: Logged
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reach down into that sub pump! Don't be scared. It is only water.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

What he said. some of thes sump pump things get deep though.

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...Its hard to explain. It fell in this PVC pipe about 2 inches wide next to the sump pump pit. I put a stick down it and there an elbow about 2 feet deep so its gone.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-26-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Coolant Temp. sensor?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2009 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know about sump pumps. Have had to deal with them more than once in my life. Looks like you need a grate on that hole. I have never seen a drain right next to one though. Different? Have you got a shop vac? Clean out the vac, then put the hose down the hole. I bet that it is dry down there. If your vac is clean, then the only thing that you find in the vac is your part,
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I failed to say that its full of water.
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not quite sure what piece you are talking about but if it has any metal on it anywhere, you could use a magnet on a stick..you can pick one up at most local parts houses
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Originally posted by mattwa:
Coolant Temp. sensor?

Boosh!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Boosh!

That's a funny one.

Anyway, guess what I got in the mail? A used but good condition custom exhaust section that replaces the muffler with straight pipe.
RumbleB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top!
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! I have gotten a lot done since I last posted. I first scrapped everything on the cradle plus the cradle (expect the wiring harness..I need that.)

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Then I bought a 3.4 PR from Don (RumbleB). Thanks Don! Got it cheap, but it needed a rebuild, so in the end I will have a almost new powerplant.

And I recently stripped to down to the block and today i gave it to the local engine shop for a degreasing, crank milling, cam bearings, all that good stuff. And on Saturday i'm going to get a 4T60 from a junkyard and get it rebuilt. I also bought a gallon of POR-15 to coat the rusty areas of my Fiero. I plan to also put the battery up front so i can put the coilpacks in its place. Plus new struts, wheel bearings, motor mounts, ball joints, tie rods. Basically rebuilding the rear suspension. The project is progressing well.

Funny thing is that very few things that I dropped out are going back in.
MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Matt. I found something that you might or might not want but it's a glass 84 SE drivers side window. It's in rough shape but the glass is good and all. Let me know if you'd like it.

Coilpacks? you put the Fiero distributor in the covered hole and use the Fiero system on the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird motor. Or are you switching that too? Glad you found a transmission I was looking out for one.

------------------
MRJ

[This message has been edited by MRJ (edited 07-21-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MRJ:

Looking good Matt. I found something that you might or might not want but it's a glass 84 SE drivers side window. It's in rough shape but the glass is good and all. Let me know if you'd like it.

Coilpacks? you put the Fiero distributor in the covered hole and use the Fiero system on the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird motor. Or are you switching that too? Glad you found a transmission I was looking out for one.

Sorry Matt, with the cost of the engine rebuilt, i have literally no money to spend on that kind of stuff at this time. Sorry.

Nope I'm using the 3.4 DIS system, with a 7730 computer.

Edit: Oh sorry If I forgot to say that Matt (MRJ) brought me a few cradles and suspension parts.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-22-2009).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good buddy! I am impressed with your effort!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I did a little work on the wiring harness (mostly reading the whole 7730 swap thread...wow that took forever.) and gave my new engraved intake and valve covers to a powder-coating business. They are going to be blue. Yes I know it doesn't go with the gold/black theme of my car but I'm doing a blue/silver theme for the 3.4/4T60.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-13-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a 4T60 for $100 and a friend of mine that works at a tranny shop is helping me rebuild it for free.

And I'm getting the 3.4 rebuilt also. That...will not be cheap.

Edit to add picture.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-28-2009).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The coolant fan switch can be plugged with a basic plug from any hardware store in the plumbing section. Interestingly I'm doing the same 7730 swap right as we speak, and bought this same part today. I also removed the cold start temp sender also. Both are the same size fitting.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

The coolant fan switch can be plugged with a basic plug from any hardware store in the plumbing section. Interestingly I'm doing the same 7730 swap right as we speak, and bought this same part today. I also removed the cold start temp sender also. Both are the same size fitting.

Yea that's what I was thinking i could use.

Hey, your not that far away from me, maybe we could pair up and do this together.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Got my 4T60 rebuilt and painted, looks a lot better then it did.

A bunch of painted parts.

My new(er) cradle, which I'm going to coat with POR-15.

I finally got the strut bolts off the knuckles!

The custom exhaust my dad found on eBay for cheap.

And the current progress on my wiring harness!
PFF
System Bot
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And the current progress on my wiring harness!

what's your plans for this? are you just fresh'n it up or you doing something else?
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You seem to be missing a muffler!, going for the Harley effect are you?
Looking good though.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good im about to join you in the ohio car without a motor club.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

what's your plans for this? are you just fresh'n it up or you doing something else?

7730 swap, so I re-wired the connectors for the new ECM, and I'm adding wiring for a digital EGR, EVAP, and removing things like the cold start injector switch wiring. I also want to replace the very brittle wire loom and the mushy tape with blue ones.

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

You seem to be missing a muffler!, going for the Harley effect are you?
Looking good though.

Nah, I'm putting a custom muffler where the Cat. was.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh I really want a 3.4 PR motor!!!

Looking good!

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked on the Wiring harness today. Wow that's a lot of wires!
RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Keep us up to date and you are welcome, on the engine.
Are you having a custom cam installed?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think so because it was my understanding that bigger cams move up the power band to higher RPM's but the Fiero Intake is so restricted that it can't breathe up that high, so it would be useless?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started working on my wiring harness yesterday.
Almost done with it, just need to finish a few things up.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-20-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I welded in some sheet metal to my rust holes in the trunk corners and battery area.

We rented a Welder from Home Depot since I don't have my own.
Soon after, my mom put the first coat of POR-15 on the Chassis.
I Don't think I'll be taking pictures of my welding...it looks...horrible. All I will say Is I'm glad I'm not welding a motor mount together.

BTW: The red Taurus Is my Daily Driver. Its a SHO.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-30-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't despair, this is my first attempt at welding an exhaust pipe:

It leaked (ha ha!).

Welding thin stuff like the sheet metal that makes up a lot of the body panels and exhausts which are thin is definitely the hardest way to learn to weld. Welding thicker stuff is easier because there's so much metal to absorb any extra heat so there's less chance to burn through.

I must say tho that having a welder is probably the best investment I made in tools other than the angle grinder to smooth out my crappy welds, it's just so nice to be able to fabricate a bracket when you need it instead of having to fudge it with bolts and god knows what.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that exhaust on my 1985 se 2.8 i liked it.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Don't despair, this is my first attempt at welding an exhaust pipe:

It leaked (ha ha!).

Welding thin stuff like the sheet metal that makes up a lot of the body panels and exhausts which are thin is definitely the hardest way to learn to weld. Welding thicker stuff is easier because there's so much metal to absorb any extra heat so there's less chance to burn through.

I must say tho that having a welder is probably the best investment I made in tools other than the angle grinder to smooth out my crappy welds, it's just so nice to be able to fabricate a bracket when you need it instead of having to fudge it with bolts and god knows what.

Hey my welds still look like that!! LoL!I I agree I have owned a welder for the past 4 years and it and my angle grinder are my two most used tools. My friends always laugh at me because I use my angle grinder for just about everything.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I agree, the thin stuff is the hardest way to learn, and I blew holes through it in some spots.

I don't have the $400-500 for a good MIG welder, I barely have any to use for my project!
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I have from the looks of it the same welder. For that metal in the trunk I would use the "B"setting and have the wire feed on like 3. Then do short bursts, moving around on the seam you are welding.

I also homemade that exact same exahust you have there, not as nice, but made from pieces of other fiero exhausts and it sounds decent with just a glasspack up front.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my car, so I hope to cruise with some other fiero owners sometime.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha, i wish I could be Done soon. Its the money part of it that is holding me back. Since I basically dropped the cradle, scrapped everything, and started over. It's going even slower now that school has started. Honestly, I hope to have it done by December, if i'm lucky.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Update! I got my finished heads and powder coated Plenum and Valve Covers today! They look awesome!

Now, I wasn't as happy with the powder coating, they didn't mask off as much as I wanted, but that's ok, I can sand what I want off. So that is why the one Valve cover is dirty, and looks a little different
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good there Mattwa. It is always exciting to get thing rolling. Keep us posted.

If it were me, I would sand down the top part of the intake. Leaving only the Fiero showing up in blue, while the rest surrounding it is polished. Like Madcurl likes to say, it will give it some "pop".

Tony
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking good there Mattwa. It is always exciting to get thing rolling. Keep us posted.

If it were me, I would sand down the top part of the intake. Leaving only the Fiero showing up in blue, while the rest surrounding it is polished. Like Madcurl likes to say, it will give it some "pop".

Tony

That is exactly what I was planning to do, I just ran outta time. I'll take another photo when its all done and sanded down.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock