Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32612 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe it.

I think I finally found the problem to my running/idle issues with my 3.4 PR. Basically, I got way too big injectors. They are Ford pink top injectors, which means they are 21# injectors, not 19# like the eBay ad said. I bought them not knowing pink ones are 21#, and orange ones are 19#, its Ford's injector color code. And I just found this out tonight by browsing the internet. No wonder it runs like crap. I mean it runs and revs fine, but the idle sucks when it warms up, and throttle response isn't that great, plus It starts to act strange past maybe 4k RPMS. I do have the AFPR, but I think there's a point were you turn down the PSI too much, and it causes driveabilty issues.

I own page 15! Woo!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 10-19-2010).]

IP: Logged
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey congrats on finding the problem out, Matt! Sometimes the answer just appears. Are you going to leave your PR in then and give the DOHC to your mom? Also, just a suggestion, but dress up the welds on that exhaust, they are kinda' ugly. Good job Matt!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I set my fuel rail to 30PSI, it was at 20 when i checked it today. That makes it flow about the same as 17# injectors. I raised it up to 43.5 to see what would happen, and it was pig rich. Idled OK, but smelled super rich, and it didn't rev well at all. Kept studdering like crazy. So yes, those are for sure 21# injectors.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-18-2010).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

What injectors are you using?

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Antuzzi. You are wise beyond your years.

Matt, I always click onto yuor build thread in hopes that you achieve your goals. You just seem to be a great guy. Good luck.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Hey, it was not my fault, the guy who sold me them on eBay had wrong information, and sold me too big injectors. I didn't know this until two days ago, it is hard to find info on Ford Pink top injectors. 19's are orange, and 21's are pink (or so I have read.) So I told you what I knew at that time, which I now know was wrong.

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Matt, I always click onto your build thread in hopes that you achieve your goals. You just seem to be a great guy. Good luck.

Thank you!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im digging the gold and black.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad im not using the gold and black engine anymore.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well folks, I finally got my hands on something I secretly wanted for a long time. Got it off a junked Pontiac in pull-a-part.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took apart the M90 today. Man, does that supercharger oil stink! The coupler is definitely bad, not so sure about the needle bearings. Everything else looks good for 138K miles. What do you guys think?

PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And NOW I understand how a supercharger works Nice build!
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the engine bay of a Gold Fiero:

Ford Blue =
Black & Gold =

jk Matt, but that LQ1 is beautiful.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I agree, but again it's too bad I'm not using it.

Today I removed my fuel rail from my 3.4 PR, removed the injectors from the rail (which are now for sale, if anyone wants a set of 8 21# mustang "pink top" injectors) and installed the 17# injectors. I didn't put the rail back in the engine though, I ran out of time.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the rail back in the car today, and it runs! Better then before, not perfect, most likely because of the exhaust leak it still has, but it runs! Idles good, rev's good (loud). My mom says she wants it in her Fiero. Now. Now all I need to do is get the clutch line in (new one) and bleed it, and I will be able to drive it! Piece of cake! Right. Not looking forward to installing it, it's a real PITA, mostly up front, middle and rear is pretty easy. Gotta remove a lot of stuff to get it in correctly, but I need to do it right this time, last time I took a shortcut I snapped the line in half.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 10-31-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here is a video of my car I took today. Sorry about the poor sound, my camera sucks in that department.

mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt,
I found out something that may be interesting to you. I mentioned to you that I had a wiring issue, and could not get my car to start. I found out that it may have been a problem with the starter. If the ECM does not see a fast enough rotation from the crank angle sensor, it won't fire the injectors. If you have the same problem with intermittent starting, I would replace the starter.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
u don't have the neutral safety wired in?
mrjohnishome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

That is good info to know, thank you. But, that was never the issue with my car, it always started. Always. Just never kept running, but I think for the most part its all good now. Moving on to next engine, yours.

EDIT: Then again the starter on that thing is the original one from my 2.8, which is the one from the factory as far as I know. So its a 25+ year old starter. Still works as seen in the video though.

I was talking about on the LQ1. The motor I sold you.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tstang429:

u don't have the neutral safety wired in?

Nope!

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well today I installed most of my clutch line. Installed the rear section, put the tires on and lowered the car to the ground for the first time in a while. Raised the front, removed the battery, battery box, and spare tire tub. This gives me a chance to fix that battery box, was never installed right. Well I fish the line to the master, and find out the fitting is too short and too small. Must be for the 1st gen masters. So, I had to cut the line, and attempted use the replacement line from my first clutch line. Sadly the compression fitting isn't usable again, so I'm looking to get another one.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrjohnishome:

Matt,
I found out something that may be interesting to you. I mentioned to you that I had a wiring issue, and could not get my car to start. I found out that it may have been a problem with the starter. If the ECM does not see a fast enough rotation from the crank angle sensor, it won't fire the injectors. If you have the same problem with intermittent starting, I would replace the starter.

there is a temp work around ..wire up a temp positon switch to open up the injectors for a moment when in ON position before start. You must have a fast enough starter and a good battery/charging system
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NO luck finding correct compression fittings at local stores, I got one that was close, 1/4", but its a little too big. Hopefully I can get it to compress down enough so it doesn't leak. The stock clutch line is 6mm btw.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-19-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
No luck with the clutch. The fitting worked, but It will not bleed. There isn't too much fluid coming out the back of the slave, and there isn't much fluid leaving the master, sometimes there is, and sometimes there isn't. Master is brand new, and it does work, shoots fluid out when the line is removed. No leaks in lines, Slave worked on my dad's fiero before giving it to me for use. It takes very little effort to push the clutch pedal. I'm stumped, and need help on this. Even if its something really simple, all i need is that line working and I can drive my Fiero for the first time with a manual.
Help!!
mrjohnishome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt, go to the local auto parts store and rent a vacuum bleeder. Put the vacuum bleeder on the bleeder at the slave, and crack the bleeder. Pump it up with the pump, and you should be able to pull fluid through. If you can't pull any fluid, remove the fitting at the master. Try pumping the vacuum bleeder with the fitting removed. If it will hold a vacuum, your line is clogged somewhere. If your line is clear, try bench bleeding the master. Good luck.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrjohnishome:

Matt, go to the local auto parts store and rent a vacuum bleeder. Put the vacuum bleeder on the bleeder at the slave, and crack the bleeder. Pump it up with the pump, and you should be able to pull fluid through. If you can't pull any fluid, remove the fitting at the master. Try pumping the vacuum bleeder with the fitting removed. If it will hold a vacuum, your line is clogged somewhere. If your line is clear, try bench bleeding the master. Good luck.

I forgot to say, I already have a vacuum bleeder, and already tried that. And I didn't get any fluid with the fitting still connected to the master, and there was no vacuum. I'm going to try dodgerunner's method, and see if that works. Power bleed the system!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well no luck. I tried dodgerunner's idea the best I could because the cap didn't have a vent hole, but all I did was get brake fluid everywhere. I also took the compression fitting apart, and it is not crushed or pinched off. But while I had the line disconnected, I had someone push in the clutch pedal, and no fluid (maybe a drip or two) came out. No fluid leaked out when i took the fitting apart either. But yet, the master shoots fluid out the threaded port when the line was completely removed, and there was fluid coming out the opened slave bleeder when I was trying gravity bleeding. I think I'm going to try to replace the custom piece of line from the master to the compression fitting with a new piece of 6mm line from NAPA, and see if that works. If it doesn't, i guess my master is defective? Its a brand new RD unit.

P.S-What do you guys think of my new signature?

------------------

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 20" section of 6mm line from NAPA after work today, so tomorrow i'll install it from the master to the compression fitting, and see if it makes any difference. I hope it does, that current piece does look a little kinked.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, thankfully I finally got my clutch line working. The new compression fitting, along with my new 6mm line, and finally the vacuum bleeder, it works.
Does it look stock? No. Does it look OK, and functional? Yes. Looks better because of the tubing bender I now have. I'm certain that old scratched bent up line was at least part of the problem.
Picture:

So then guess what I did.
I DROVE IT!!!!!
It's filthy, grimy, leaking coolant AGAIN, speedometer is not even close, engine isn't tuned right (I don't think it ever was), its not back together completely, bad exhaust leak, etc etc.
But damn-it, It drives and it is FAST. That first drive was a rush, and being very anxious about it plus all the excitement, I was shaking, I had to sit down for a while.
Even though I understand its a brand new clutch, that FS RAM-HD clutch is kinda like an on-off switch. Lots of bite.
Woo!
Pictures:

On both drives I have taken so far, when I returned home the header wrap was smoking like CRAZY. I think its from the brake fluid I spilled on it. Oh, and when I gave my dad a ride, he said i gave him whip-lash.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

PFF
System Bot
Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're very excited Matt has the car on the road. Got a temp tag and insured it today to make it legal. The power is amazing as Matt said. It's great how he switched it from auto to manual. What a task. Bummed about the coolant leak though. Hope he solves problem without to much trouble.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DANG!!!! Congrats on getting to drive her again, Matt. I can't wait to take a ride in it myself. Right now I am tossing around the idea of a 3400 swap in my GT from a late model Grand Am, you coming over to help me put it in? Also, Phil, I don't think the coolant leak will be much of a problem for SuperMatt!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

DANG!!!! Congrats on getting to drive her again, Matt. I can't wait to take a ride in it myself. Right now I am tossing around the idea of a 3400 swap in my GT from a late model Grand Am, you coming over to help me put it in? Also, Phil, I don't think the coolant leak will be much of a problem for SuperMatt!

Thanks! Of course I'll help. Those 3400's are nice, I do admit. Gen III of the 60* V6's, intake is much better then the 2.8. Aluminum heads, splayed valves, heart shaped combustion chambers for a quicker burn, D shaped exhaust ports, and a windage tray with side bolts going through the main bearing caps. About 180 HP or so, maybe 200 if you got a cam or something.

The coolant leak HAS been a problem. New water pump, with new gasket and lots of RTV, and it still leaks.

I drove it again for a while today, the exhaust leak makes it obnoxious. The 3.4 is so violent, it spun the nuts and washers right off the rear trans mount (maybe they weren't 100% tight but still). No wonder the rear of the car shifted when I accelerated or de-accelerated.
Header wrap isn't smoking much anymore, but it still stinks.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked on my Fiero all day today. First off, I started mini-project stuff I didn't need, most didn't work, or had issues, I was sick of it all, so I ripped a bunch of stuff out of my car that I didn't want or need. The big thing I removed was the pillar gauge pod and the two gauges, Boost/vacuum gauge and narrow band A/R gauge (pretty useless). I'm going to need another A-pillar trim piece, a lot of holes are now showing. A lot of wires were removed. I did keep the auto-dimming mirror with compass, fog lights, and FM modulator. If I want to add more gauges (which I do), It'll be either where the Aux Gauges are, or at least a better install job with different gauges on the A-pillar.

I took apart my cluster again, and reset each needle, so each one is more or less accurate now. Speedometer is pretty close. Then I put the rest of the interior back together for the most part. Found and installed two nuts for the rear trans mount. Didn't help, the rear end still swayed when accelerating or de-accelerating. Found out my tie rod on the passenger side was loose at the cradle. Whoops. Will fix that tomorrow. Also, I used some of the exhaust leak filler in a tube I bought earlier, I think it worked on the two sides that I could get to from the top, but that third side leaks, sounds like I didn't make a difference. I need to get under to car to get to that side.

I have code 43, knock sensor. That could be my issue besides the exhaust leak. And I did feel that "wall" the 3.4 hits at about 4500 RPM with the stock intake. Needs better flow, which is why I plan to use my Dual Throttle Body Intake.

Matts Mom

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matts MomSend a Private Message to Matts MomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CONGRATULATIONS MATT!!! I'm proud of your accomplishments, especially the swap to the manual drive. AWESOME!! Enjoyed the ride, even if it was bumpy. Loved the feel of all that engine power. Looking forward to using it in my 88 next spring. Hope the duke behaves 'til then.

Thanks again to everyone for their support during Matt's build. I am so impressed by how much this Forum has encouraged Matt through some tough times. He has really grown into his own -- a little cocky sometimes, but then I must remember that 18 yr olds know everything. Regardless, I'm one proud & grateful mom!
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<=== Also very proud with how the youngling has grown up! Congrats Matt!!!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me? Cocky? Pfft! It just so happens that my knowledge gets the best of me sometimes.
fiero al

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
your 3.4 deffently has power and the 3.4 DOHC well add even more power to it. lets just hope you don't get power crazy and upgrade it to the v8 . just remember what you told me to do if you start thinking about it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not using that engine anymore, sorry.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock