Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mattwa's 3.4/4T60 Project by mattwa
Started on: 06-22-2009 12:42 AM
Replies: 687 (32632 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 04-25-2014 01:01 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is some pictures of my progress. I got almost all my LED lights in, and most of my manual stuff to change my car over!
The clutch is a RAM HD clutch.

IP: Logged
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-21-2010).]

fiero al

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you forgot to mention the process of how we took out the digital gauges from the cars
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero al:

you forgot to mention the process of how we took out the digital gauges from the cars

Oh yea. We had three tools. big pliers, wire cutter's, and a sledge hammer. But we used our feet to get the top of the dash off both cars.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya, that nissan intake is pretty incredible. they certainly thought a lot more about airflow than the engineers on the Fiero project. That being said it is HUGE I recently did injectors on a j30 with that engine... twice. Not very much fun to work on.

Looking good, you will enjoy the manual better than the auto anyway!

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt keep up the good work. That yards been a score for me as late as well. Good luck on your manual swap, and drop me a line if you run into problems and need something I can see whats around here you saw my parts collection. You need to be gentle on those yard cars you know they have cameras hehe.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, i got back from Frazee, MN, and had a great time at the Shipman's house, along with several PFF members. Took a lot of pictures, but I didn't take my car because of the transmission. I took this picture there, one of the best of the sunset pictures I have ever seen.

I now have everything I need to do the manual swap. I honestly don't know when I'll be starting it, most likely when my dad's GT is back together. I also have new dew wipes from Stu, a new set of door locks, and the newest addition (yes I'm crazy), a dual throttle body intake! I'll get pictures when it comes in the mail, but my goal is too have it look like this (only in Blue).

This is PFF member TT Slick's setup, very nice.

Only problem I see is It'll now be harder to change the rear plugs with the engine in the car.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-02-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Nothing important happened today, only minor thing I did was drop the cradle again.
Yep, its out again, removing the auto and putting the 4-speed in its place. While I'm at it, I'll change to the dual TB intake, tighten the belts, wrap the headers, fix the oil leak, re-do the exhaust, and a few other things. Maybe roller rockers.
I already removed my whole center console and replaced my auto shifter with my manual short shifter! It has knob I turned on a lathe myself. Weighs like 5lbs. Lol.
Oh and i found out why my Cruise Control wasn't working, I had it wired to my back-up lights. DOH! So I think I had cruise when I was in REVERSE (inside joke), but that's it.
Phase two of my build has started!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here is a picture of me, my dad (Ridgelandbaseball), my friend Alex (fiero al), Midnight, and his friend Mike, tonight. Had a little Fiero "gathering". Both gold cars are down right now, Alex is dropping his cradle soon too, he was waiting for my 4-speed automatic to put in his car.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have also decided against using that digital dash also, and It's currently for sale on ebay, along with that Nissan 300ZX intake.

I Also have a question for you guys. Where can I get Pressure plate bolts at? I don't have any, as clutch kits have you reuse those bolts, but I don't have any too start with.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-28-2010).]

fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whille i was over at your house yesterday, helping you with your cradle and engine, i was able to take some pics.

here the engine and cradle are out.

heres a pic of matts new gear shifter

o and by the way matt, REVERSE!!
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero al:

oh and by the way matt, REVERSE!!

REVERSE!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I separated the 4T60 and 3.4 for the final time. I gave my 4T60 to alex (fiero al) to use in his Fiero. Now I can put my 4-speed onto my cradle, as the engine is now on the engine stand.
fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wasn't sure if you were going to post this or not but i have a picture of your duel throtle body intake when i was over today.

should work well with your engine becuase of less restriction of the intake. might need to fix the control arm for the duel throtle body though. if you can get it to look like the pic of the one on this page, it would be really awsome looking.

[This message has been edited by fiero al (edited 07-29-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been busy the past few days. Got my dual TB intake in, it needs work to make it perfect, it is a prototype after all. I really do need to re-do that rod linkage, thinking of doing it like TT Slick did, weld a rod where the TPS goes, and into the spring area of the other one.
Well I got my 4-speed shifter in as you saw, and I put the 4-speed Muncie on the Cradle with the axles.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I removed the auto brake assembly and replaced it with the manual brake/clutch assembly, and to do that I had to remove the steering column, which I already reinstalled. Doing all that really messed up my wiring, so I going to attack it all with solder and not crimps this time. Most of my connections nearly fell apart, I admit I did a poor job on that, so I'm going to re-do all that I can.
I also installed the clutch master cylinder today, too.
RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

Do you have a clutch line for your car? I have a new one just sitting around here, if you need it. I can bring it over.

Don Z.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RumbleB:

Matt,

Do you have a clutch line for your car? I have a new one just sitting around here, if you need it. I can bring it over.

Don Z.

Thanks for the offer Don, but I already have a clutch line.
Today was a big day! I got the flywheel and clutch on and the engine mated to the transmission! Wasn't easy at the least but it's done and together! I turned the engine several turns, and I heard no scraping or bad bearing sounds , and everything turned freely.

Need to install the clutch line and re-wire and put back together the interior, wrap the headers, and maybe attempt to fix and use the Magnaflow muffler system I still have in the Garage. It needs to be cut and re-welded to lower the angle of the tips, and somehow raise the muffler itself, as it was too low to the ground (still thinking on this one).

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-04-2010).]

Cro577

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cro577Send a Private Message to Cro577Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! I cant wait to see the dual TB.. Ive been following your thread for a while but I just barely signed up.. but i hope to have my cars engine looking that clean..
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cro577:

Nice car! I cant wait to see the dual TB.. Ive been following your thread for a while but I just barely signed up.. but i hope to have my cars engine looking that clean..

Thanks! I'm going to install the drivetrain first and get it driving, and I'll work on the Dual TB when I can. I'll admit, it needs work. It'll function now, but it would look kinda bad. It is a prototype after all, I just plan on improving the design and cleaning it up. I'm sure it'll make a big difference in throttle response, and most importantly, air flow.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now if you use to dual TB, does that need twice the amount of sensors and fuel? Or is it just a better breathing manifold mechanically?
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JesseM:

Now if you use to dual TB, does that need twice the amount of sensors and fuel? Or is it just a better breathing manifold mechanically?

No, you do not need twice the sensors. You may need more fuel, but I can compensate for that. It just flows 10x better then the stock plenum...even ported.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today did not go well. Spend most of the day at Alex's preparing his to drop his cradle to swap in my 4-speed auto. After that, I Took out the old cooler lines, put the main section of the clutch line in place, and while trying to fit the front section up through everything, I bent it too far, and it snapped. Looks like I'll be needing a repair section from NAPA.
Then i snapped a bolt under the water pump because I'm pretty sure there's a coolant leak around there someplace, and i was tighting the bolts up...a little too much.
So I just gave up for the day.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2010 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today didn't go well either. The local auto and hardware stores can't really help me with the clutch line i snapped because they don't have metric compression unions. Or something like that.
I did wrap my headers and that came out ok, but THEN I found out the slave cylinder won't fit! Wonderful!

Now what?

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-10-2010).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Today didn't go well either. The local auto and hardware stores can't really help me with the clutch line i snapped because they don't have metric compression unions. Or something like that.
I did wrap my headers and that came out ok, but THEN I found out the slave cylinder won't fit! Wonderful!

Now what?!? I...don't know what to do. Did I do something wrong, is there something in the wrong place, or not even there?

Your headers are for a automatic..... they are correct?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Your headers are for a automatic..... they are correct?

I don't think they have two separate y-pipes for manuals and automatics.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you still using the 36lbs injectors?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Are you still using the 36lbs injectors?

Nope, no way could I get those to work. Sold them, and bought some 19lb injectors from a mustang. Only problem is they are pink.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, just wondering if that was contributing to the rich running. I run 30lb injectors on a 3.4L, DIS, 7730 ECM, and a turbo. I've been playing with my tune for a very long time as I use an Ostrich.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Ok, just wondering if that was contributing to the rich running. I run 30lb injectors on a 3.4L, DIS, 7730 ECM, and a turbo. I've been playing with my tune for a very long time as I use an Ostrich.

Im pretty sure I fixed the rich conditon with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Well today i cut and re-welded my magnaflow exhaust system as I plan to use that, I moved the tips down, as they were way too high. Next i need to figure out how to position my muffler so it doesn't sit too low and scrap the ground like it used to. I also did soldered all the wires i needed to on the engine wiring harness for the manual swap, mainly shorting 3 pairs of wires and extending the VSS wires. I also helped Alex with his project again.
PFF
System Bot
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Matt, just checking it to see the latest update.

Looks like a project in progress.

Has come a LONG ways and looking good.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have gotten very frustrated at this car as of late, because of several things, I try my best to push on. I fixed the Y-pipe, that's done. Exhaust is nearly done, water pump back on. Still waiting for Alex to finish his car because I need that Pallet. Today I took my driver door apart, and install my new dew wipe and door lock, plus installed the side molding again, finally. Problems I'm having is that the new dew wipe wrinkles in some spots? and the most frustrating is I lost the little clip that holds the lock rod on the cylinder, so i keeps falling out, and there is almost no way I can fit my hand in there to install one, even If I had to.

Also, I'm looking for driver's side coolant tube brackets, mine rusted away a while ago, didn't like the zip tips used it there place.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed my fog lights today. They work great, very bright. The switch is were the defog would be, looks 100% factory. It's from a Pontiac 6000. Also, Alex helped me fix my door lock rod problem yesterday, so I put my door back together. Then I did a bunch of soldering, including the A/C sensor I need to get the A/C to work. But then there is the bad part of the day (as usual), it keeps blowing the gauges fuse when i turn the ign on. I think the problem is some wires are shorting at the big wire loom that wasn't letting me get the pedal assemblies in/out easily. It's now impossible to get too. Scratching my head on this one, will taking the cluster out help get to it any? I doubt it.

Here is what my interior looks like now. Not too pretty, wires everywhere! I gotta find which wires in that huge bundle are the back-up lights, because there's several blue and green wires. I'm also getting a different console skeleton, as mine broke in half and a lot of screw holes are badly cracked (all the work i have been doing hasn't helped either).

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-19-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today my mom finished the wrap on my headers. They look great! With it fully wrapped, the shift cables should be OK, as should the slave cylinder (still nearly touching the wrap though). I'm hoping it really reduces the engine bay temps, as it got really hot really fast before.
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Trueleo's headers and yes they do seem to get really hot even wrapped. Watch out for rain now because it gets on the wrap and make a giant steam cloud, which almost looks like the car is on fire. I did buy an aftermarket rain guard for the trunk lid but the headers are out further on both sides than the trunk lid so it gets wet.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind. Although it shouldn't be as bad for me, because I still have the decklid weatherstrip on my Fiero.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I got RD's clutch line repair kit in the mail, and I'll be using that for the broken section of my clutch line. I also got my engine pallet back from Alex, so I put my engine cradle back on that today.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i removed the dash, and installed RD's clutch line section, still need to connect to the existing line though.. still going to very hard to get to that one section of the main wiring harness that I crushed and ripped apart by installing the pedals.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-25-2010).]

Matts Mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matts MomSend a Private Message to Matts MomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Job Matt (but then I'm partial)! Some of that work looks mighty good with the header wrapping & POR-15! Wonder who did that? Keep up the good work! It will all be worth it very soon!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock