Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  FieroGT stretch Concept (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FieroGT stretch Concept by Amida
Started on: 02-11-2006 05:08 PM
Replies: 2389 (259429 views)
Last post by: Mahanimal on 01-06-2024 01:29 PM
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a Cadillac XLR again the other day which put a bug in my head to do another sketch. This is another stretched Fiero idea. Bubbajoexxx has paved the way with the longitudinal Northstar/Porsche drivetrain. The 1" mini-chop is utilized again in this idea to teardrop the roof & keep the stock door glass. Windshield is replaced with the extended glass which provides more curve. Factory Cadillac lighting might work if the lines aren't too steep on this design. I kind of like this!

IP: Logged
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice, it has some nice lines. Did you have to modify the windshield/door windows at all to fit the shape?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Looks nice, it has some nice lines. Did you have to modify the windshield/door windows at all to fit the shape?

It's a mini chop, 1 inch. Windshield is the extended glass used in Ferrari replicas, but stock glass should work just as well. Thanks.

CETICARS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CETICARSSend a Private Message to CETICARSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

I've finally got the intermediate molding of the upper fascia back on the car. The original urethane noses all seem to get warped/ sunken in at the top which I'll have to fix for the final plug. I also had to rebuild the upper mounting lip due to severe warpage. My idea is to see how a real two piece fascia ( upper & lower ) will work on the Fiero. If it doesn't then I'll go back to the normal one piece design. I'll be using the original 355 bumper as a donor to help shape the mating surface and create the FI355 fascia. Couldn't get much done this time due to the rain.

do you sell the top picture ,the fiero upper top bumper no sides
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CETICARS:

The 355 nose design is underway right now. I'll be posting a new thread on that when I get the model finished. I've been a little tied up working on interiors so I only get to work on the nose on weekends. The top section may/maynot be a separate piece; depends on how well it fits when I mock it up on the car. It would be more cost effective to build it as a one piece unit, but for me, personally, I like the separate panel look so I'm hopeful that it'll work.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-14-2007).]

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, yes. Let him finish the interior work he has going on. I'd like to see you work on the 355 nose though. Will you be using real Ferrari lights? Or a cheaper replacement?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Yes, yes. Let him finish the interior work he has going on. I'd like to see you work on the 355 nose though. Will you be using real Ferrari lights? Or a cheaper replacement?

On the frontal view you'll notice that I rounded the ends of the turn signal lights. The original 355 lights are ideal, but I believe they are priced around $250 each. So, I'll be using the Avenger/Sebring units that are a very close match & can be bought on Ebay for about $20 each.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-14-2007).]

CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm so if the light wraps around the the side of the bumper like that I think legally we can get rid of the side markers on the trim.. or the trim altogether.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May be an option. But I think it might be better to leave it on then cover it over should you choose to delete the molding. Good thing about the Sebring lights is you can choose the white or amber signals. Also, what size are the holes for the driving lights?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 06-14-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. Try the 300M (old style) wrap around side maker lamps.
fierogtrouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtrougeSend a Private Message to fierogtrougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice project
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, I'll be using the Avenger/Sebring units that are a very close match & can be bought on Ebay for about $20 each.

Have you noticed the Aveo?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Have you noticed the Aveo?

Let me tell you, when I'm driving down the street I'm paying more attention to the turn lights on the cars passing by than on my driving. I'm going to rear-end some car some day because I wasn't paying attention to my driving. Been looking for turn light solution for a 512TR nose for later on.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The FieroGT nose is too flimsy & distorted to even bother with moulding the lower tray so I started from scratch on a sheet of flat steel to get a true flat surface. Used some coremat to keep it rigid for the full scale model. The goal is to mount the new nose like a stock factory piece.

The original 355 nose is a few inches wider so I will need to take away from the grill area & possibly from the sides as well.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-22-2007).]

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been holding out for Fiero1Fan to put out another 355 nose, but if this looks good!! Do you have any idea on when the project will be completed and when you might pop the first one out for sale? Any idea of a rough price?

Thanks and keep up the GREAT work.

------------------
88 GT built 3.2 5 speed
To be unveiled on July 24th 2008 at the 25th Anniversary show in Pontiac Michigan. Top secret until then. You won't miss it!

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rob if your new front fascia is as good as your interior work just tell me when i can send my money.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

I have been holding out for Fiero1Fan to put out another 355 nose, but if this looks good!! Do you have any idea on when the project will be completed and when you might pop the first one out for sale? Any idea of a rough price?

Thanks and keep up the GREAT work.

I should be finished with this nose & have the demo unit on my '88 Formula by the end of summer, or sooner. It ought to turn out pretty nicely. Although the paint on the car is crap I'm going to paint the nose to match anyway; maybe all the car needs is a good polish. When I think everything checks out & looks good to me I'll make it available & start a new thread in the Mall. I'm not sure yet how much it's going to cost me, but I'm hoping I can offer the noses at around $400usd+s&h. Lights & grill work will have to be options.

Thanks.

Rob
Fiero Interior Conversions
FierOvation
Seattle, WA. USA

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-23-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

rob if your new front fascia is as good as your interior work just tell me when i can send my money.

Hey Thomas, How's the car coming together? Did you find a good upholsterer in your area ?

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The lower tray form mounts to the car without problem. I'm using GT lower brackets. The formula & coupe noses use slightly different lower brackets.

I experimented with a fiberglass plaster mix to take a mould of the GT nose. The material does not shrink or warp. Here I've captured the the shape of the factory side mounting flange & wheel arch which will be preserved in the new nose. Difference in airdam angle can already be seen. I always thought the GT nose was angled much too high.

RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob...You crazy genius you...Tell us more about the "plaster and fiberglass mix".

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Rob...You crazy genius you...Tell us more about the "plaster and fiberglass mix".

Bob

Bob, did you finally get your interior done? I'm no genius...you can buy the stuff at art supply outlets. I go my stuff from Chavant the clay modeller supplier. It's only temprary stuff good for maybe one or two parts. But, It's non toxic & easy to use....plaster is heavy though. oh, and it's safe on car paint just as long as it is removed soon after the plaster sets & before it gets too hot.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-23-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure yet how much it's going to cost me, but I'm hoping I can offer the noses at around $400usd+s&h. Lights & grill work will have to be options.

Sound good to me. Keep us updated on the project, I will be first in line.

------------------
88 GT built 3.2 5 speed
To be unveiled on July 24th 2008 at the 25th Anniversary show in Pontiac Michigan. Top secret until then. You won't miss it!

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

Sound good to me. Keep us updated on the project, I will be first in line.

What engine is a 3.2? Is that a stroked 2.8? or newer dohc type?
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a brand new 3.1 crank stroked to a 3.2 with lots of other goodies.

Any progress on the front end
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The upper valance panel gets a new mounting flange to mate with the lower nose. The panel gap will be about 1/8"-3/16" as in the f355 nose.

/
/
/
Base reference lines will be established next to help with alignment & positioning of the new nose. Say goodbye to the old aero fascia.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-28-2007).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2007 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Base reference lines will be established next to help with alignment & positioning of the new nose. Say goodbye to the old aero fascia.

ha, seeing this pic makes me think of a modular nose...keeping the basic outline as the main frame and exchangeable (different) front inserts for easy customising....sorry, got sidetracked
Anyway, nice work !
CETICARS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CETICARSSend a Private Message to CETICARSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by CETICARS:[B]

I WANT TO BUY A FIBERGLASS TOP NOSE ONLY

NOT A WHOLE BUMPER , HOW MUCH $
CETICARS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2007 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CETICARSSend a Private Message to CETICARSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CETICARS

188 posts
Member since Nov 2004
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CETICARS:

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CETICARS:

I really can't say right now if the top will end up being a separate piece. I have to first see if the idea works correctly.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Here is a comparison between the Scorpion ( bottom ) , F355, & Sebring lights ( top ). Scorpion lights are much longer; around 2 inches longer. Sebring lights are about 1 inch shorter & about 1/2 inch narrower. I prefer the Ferrari lights but at $500 per set that's a bit too rich for alot of people.

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick bump for progress!
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the mock-up phase now getting the visual on how things are going to line up. I now know that the steel bumper needs to be trimmed a little on each end for the Ferrari lights to fit. I'm not sure yet if the same will be needed for the Sebring/Avenger lights.
z
z

z
z
The f355 nose is slightly lower than the Fiero by about 3/4". I may shave a little off the bottom to make it less likely to scrape on driveways.
z
z

z
z
I took some time to build a level design table to help establish a baseline. Vehicle ground clearance was set at 4 inches. The blue tape line is parallel to the baseline in the original f355. The steel bumper is interfering with positioning, so after I trim it down I will need to move the nose further back by about 2 inches. Fiero side mouldings & mounting flanges will be added.
z
z

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob,
Why don't you temporarily remove the bumper until you get everything fitted? Then trim it as neccessary once it is complete...

Bob

PS...Sign me up for a proto-type

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Scorpion lights look like the 2nd gen. Ford Scorpio lights (Euro model) I have in my 355 nose. I thought that model wasn't sold in the US. Where did you get them?

Here is a comparison between the Scorpion ( bottom ) , F355, & Sebring lights ( top ). Scorpion lights are much longer; around 2 inches longer. Sebring lights are about 1 inch shorter & about 1/2 inch narrower. I prefer the Ferrari lights but at $500 per set that's a bit too rich for alot of people.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 07-18-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Hey Rob,
Why don't you temporarily remove the bumper until you get everything fitted? Then trim it as neccessary once it is complete...

Bob

PS...Sign me up for a proto-type

Yes, I'll have to remove the bumper to cut it eventually. Next, I'll create a level plane to help position the new flange onto the upper nose piece. If the angle is off too much the nose will end up with a smiley face which I'd like to avoid.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by yellowstone:

The Scorpion lights look like the 2nd gen. Ford Scorpio lights (Euro model) I have in my 355 nose. I thought that model wasn't sold in the US. Where did you get them?

I'm actually borrowing the scorpion lights for the project. I don't know how they got here. It turns out that they fit the f355 bumper pretty well; the extra length will end up hiding behind the fiberglass. BTW, nice picture of your car.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before continueing with the mock up I had to set the gaps around the bonnet & make sure all the seams line up as accurately as possible. Hard to believe it took a good day & a half just to do that. I've set the nose to fender gap at 1/8" and 5/32" all around the bonnet. Next, working on a level plattorm, I scribed & trimmed a straight split line on the nose that is parallel to the ground. The straight split line will eliminate any chance of a smiley face effect when viewed from the front.

x
Here with the new split line cut, I've mocked up the pieces to see how things are going to look. Nothing has been done yet to the original 355 nose, but it's starting to take shape. The sides will need to be shortened and the Fiero side mouldings will be worked in as well. That's it for now, it started to rain.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 08-31-2007).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2007 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really love your work, can't wait to see how this turns out. But if its anything like your designs and your interiors, than it's gotta be awesome!

[This message has been edited by Tusch (edited 08-29-2007).]

88 Obsession

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 ObsessionSend a Private Message to 88 ObsessionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida, you are an awesome sketch artist. Great Ideas!!!!!! Keep them coming.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock