Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  FieroGT stretch Concept (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FieroGT stretch Concept by Amida
Started on: 02-11-2006 05:08 PM
Replies: 2389 (259429 views)
Last post by: Mahanimal on 01-06-2024 01:29 PM
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Wish I could draw that well I really like how that one looks. I haven't been able to come up with a good exterior "look" yet, this gives me some nice starting ideas I hope you don't mind me borrowing some of them
IP: Logged
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Wish I could draw that well I really like how that one looks. I haven't been able to come up with a good exterior "look" yet, this gives me some nice starting ideas I hope you don't mind me borrowing some of them

I don't mind at all. Are you customizing your Fiero? It'll be interesting to see where you take the idea. I've already started work on the plug for the new nose designs, two of which will be newer Pontiac style designs to replace the stock nose. The darn upper section of the Fiero aero fascia is so warped & droopy, pretty common on Fieros, that I have to first correct this area before moving on to the lower section. My new fascia will be a two piece component design, upper & lower. The seam works pretty well with the existing Fiero side mouldings, and also it'll allow for an easy swap between the 3 or 4 designs that I have in the works.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 12-18-2006).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to take pics From the sound of it (being made for easy swaps), you are planning to sell them eventually? That would be very cool.

I wanted to do something widebody, but the fiberglass offerings that I could buy don't seem to make much difference in appearance from the pics I've seen, especially at an angle view. These two drawings gave me some ideas for other features to include along with a custom body. For example, the removal of the side rear vents and putting in that rear hex-mesh grille seems to me to be a better flow path. I can see a lot of different components in my head, now I have to see if I'm capable enough of doing any of them in reality I've had a lot of "component" ideas from various places, but haven't been able to tie them all together in a way I was happy with. These two drawings bring everything together under a single focus. Every time I see that front view pic, I think of a race car, which is exactly what I want to think
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The honeycomb grills seem to be used quite alot in Pontiac models past & present. It could be applied just about anywhere there is an air opening. The GTP Fiero sketch was just a rough idea. I was trying to imagine what The Fiero would look like if re-introduced today in the retro styling trend that's going on currently. When I get a chance I'll have to work on the sketches a little bit more.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my "mind's eye" I changed the hood so that the sides were raised and the middle dipped down lower, somewhat like on a porsche, but not as extreme. I do think the mustang rear lights would go better than those pontiac ones, just fit the round styling better to me. Other than those two things, I think it's a great body.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did a little clean up on the sketch & added Mustang-like tail lights. I'll have to look at some Porsche photos to see what a lower hood looks like.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 12-23-2006).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good

The lowered hood isn't exactly a porsche one, I saw it done perfectly on one car and I can't remember what it was now for the life of me. It was something in between the look of all three of these:
Pagani Zonda
Porsche 911
Honda NSX
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^El bumpo^^
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out my sig.....I think our side views may look a little similar, with a dip in the door area.
I'm working on an angled shot to show my idea for the front of mine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SAFASTRO (edited 01-22-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bob how's the project going?

SAFASTRO, like your concept...it's a ground hugger.

I've been focused on interior projects lately. Couldn't get much done over the holidays, and & then followed by freezing 20's F. weather over the new year. Try doing gelcoat/fiberglass work outdoors in sub-freezing temps with numb fingers...forget it!...it won't work. I spent a couple days building a heated curing locker to deal with the cold.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Rob...I hear you. I've done nothing since before X-mas. Allright weather, but I've been sick. No fun working when you don't feel like it. Now that I feel a little bbetter, the weather sucks.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've finally got the intermediate molding of the upper fascia back on the car. The original urethane noses all seem to get warped/ sunken in at the top which I'll have to fix for the final plug. I also had to rebuild the upper mounting lip due to severe warpage. My idea is to see how a real two piece fascia ( upper & lower ) will work on the Fiero. If it doesn't then I'll go back to the normal one piece design. I'll be using the original 355 bumper as a donor to help shape the mating surface and create the FI355 fascia. Couldn't get much done this time due to the rain.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 02-27-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a 512tr type nose that I'll also work on fitting to the Fiero. The fascias will retain the stock Fiero side mouldings to fit & look like a stock replacement.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey...You got the 512 stuff from the last drawings I made!! The cool thing is, I never posted it. It's still on my desk at work.

<chanting> Go Rob Go...Go Rob Go...

Bob

PS Who made the 512 bumper?

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 03-03-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bumper is part of a 512tr kit. It's real wide at 69" so I'll have to take out about 5" to make it fit. My idea is to make it modular to give it a true separate panel look which can also be swapped with the different nose styles that I'm thinking of doing.

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, lookin forward to seeing more
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I skimmed through the pages, and it looks like a lot of clean exterior design ideas. Have you started on actually stretching the chassis? Are you going to do the standard kit car stretch of the chassis aft of the bulkhead, or are you looking to stretch the cabin of the car? I'd really like to see someone break outside the box and go king cab with it, but keeping the chassis square and stiff is what freaks me out about it.

------------------
Never Lose Respect

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a 3" stretch behind the firewall in '98. A hundred measurements using levels straight edges & a plumbob checking & rechecking for level & square. Next time I think I will build a chassis jig to eliminate the guess work & hold everything in precise alignment. I welded 14ga. tubing inside the railings & capped it off with plates on the outer sides to make a sandwich. It might be overdoing it but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a weak point in the chassis.

I'm leaning towards this idea here for my red '88 Formula. The 1/4 glass & sail panel seem to fit well with the stock door glass. Also it wouldn't matter if it started off as a coupe or GT since new sail panels would be installed anyway. This would also be easier to do than a full body mod. Toying with the Wide body idea by using attachable fender flares. It would be a cleaner look if only the side mouldings weren't there, but the whole idea is to keep it a Fiero with a slightly different look.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-07-2007).]

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2007 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if you make that chassis jig. I'd love to cut a Fiero in front of the firewall and move it back about 6 inches.

I'd probably best learn how to weld...

------------------
Never Lose Respect-So We Prevail

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do you want to go on front of the firewall? Interior space?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been laying around getting over a bout with microbrew poisoning, thought I'd finish this 9" stretch Fiero. Played off the 3" stretch drawing previous and switched to GT type sails, notchy rear, pushed out front fenders w/ rear edge vents, extended windshield, .075" roof tilt. Can't make too many changes because this is supposted to be Fiero ideas.

96.5" wheelbase

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-28-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back to stock wheelbase widebody but kept the extended windshield & tilted roof, and some changes.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-29-2007).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob,
I like the last one...What's the back look like?

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, How about something like this with Acura Legend lights. Tear dropped the sail panels and added a rear diffuser.

SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Amida....how about something like this??
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it Rob..

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

Hey Amida....how about something like this??

That's got a nice wide, aggressive stance. I like that.
88GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT350Send a Private Message to 88GT350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you explain the .75" roof tilt? How is it accomplished? Is this like a mini-chop?
88GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT350Send a Private Message to 88GT350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88GT350

13 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Can you explain the .75" roof tilt? How is it accomplished? Is this like a mini-chop?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, It's like a mini chop. On this Testarosa replica the roof is tilted back slightly by making a wedge cut at the base of the A pillar. The roof is only lower by up to an inch. The door glass is also tilted to adjust for the new roofline. On a stock Fiero 1/4, & rear glass mods are likely needed to do this, but I think the new roofline has a nice look.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-31-2007).]

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why do you want to go on front of the firewall? Interior space?

Sorry, missed it. Yes, exactly. I'd like to be able to use other seating options that might take up more room then a stock Fiero seat, plus the ability to utise space for audio system, body stiffening (roll bar, etc.) and still be drivable by someone larger then 5'10". I think you might as well use the length that you're adding. Plus, the strut towers will be much tighter when they are tied together by the bulkhead, as the factory intended, rather then by square tubing.

Don't take that as a knock on your ideas, I'm merely suggesting.
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida, some nice design ideas again!

And whoever's red widebody that is looks really sharp!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Sorry, missed it. Yes, exactly. I'd like to be able to use other seating options that might take up more room then a stock Fiero seat, plus the ability to utise space for audio system, body stiffening (roll bar, etc.) and still be drivable by someone larger then 5'10". I think you might as well use the length that you're adding. Plus, the strut towers will be much tighter when they are tied together by the bulkhead, as the factory intended, rather then by square tubing.

Don't take that as a knock on your ideas, I'm merely suggesting.

Well, I know it can be done. Someone posted a pic of a 4 seater a few pages back. However, I would try to make it look more like a coupe instead of a sedan.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-31-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by kwagner:

Amida, some nice design ideas again!

And whoever's red widebody that is looks really sharp!

Thanks. Just ideas that's all. Might try some without the side body mouldings.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob,
Are you sure about the way the roof was tilted? When I was in contact with MikeD (at Ari's) about the 512's he was making, he told me the way to get the roof canted involved the actual stretch. When the chassis is stretched, the back portion was raised 1.5", effectively tilting the front portion down. I was under the impression that was how all of the accurate 512's were done. Also, but I'm not too certain, I believe JDorr's 512 he was selling was extended in the passenger tub. But I'm not sure if it was the whole tub, or just a package shelf behind the seats to mimic the actual 512.

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, according to Jerry he wedged the base of the A pillars and relaxed the roof. He also lowered the floor for some reason; I couldn't figure out why that was needed.
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for a lot of cool ideas
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back to stock wheelbase widebody but kept the extended windshield & tilted roof, and some changes.

It's not HOT until it's a CHOP!

:8^)
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Here's the larger wheel base pic - chop'd!

Dave
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice chops. I have some curved lexan door window blanks that can be trimmed to to fit that profile. I wonder if choptops have worn headliners above the driver's seat?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock